BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ince's Disasterous Signings

accyrover

:rover: not at all,and when spit the dog appears i will descend into a very deep depression :brfcsmilie:

I thought it was pretty surprising considering you told us there was firstly no way that Ince would get sacked before summer, then told us there was no way BFS would be appointed.

Still, hope Saturday's performance/result didn't make you descend into a deep depression...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it was pretty surprising considering you told us there was firstly no way that Ince would get sacked before summer, then told us there was no way BFS would be appointed.

Still, hope Saturday's performance/result didn't make you descend into a deep depression...

:rover: well obviously john williams is not a man off his word,then agian i nearly died when i read bfs would still be here next season even if we go down :brfcsmilie:

:rover: well obviously john williams is not a man off his word,then agian i nearly died when i read bfs would still be here next season even if we go down :brfcsmilie:

And who the hell would could we have attracted if we said "keep us up or you're sacked"?!

Just bloody think before you post sometimes!

• 4 weeks later...

Of Ince's "disaster" signings it now looks like Andrews, Robinson and Grella (should he maintian his fitness) are all decent. Simpson (who cost us nothing) and Carlos seem to be the main question marks - although the latter has made a couple of telling contributions this season, mainly in the cups.

I think people should just get used to Andrews. He is here to stay, earned a squad place (I still doubt he will ever regularly start if everyoe is fit), and doing a decent job. He is much further away from the exit door than Mokoena, Vogel, Reid, Ooijer, Derbyshire, Olsson, Carlos and Simpson.

I think the fact that Sam is picking him showed a lot of people up as arses, especially those who claimed that he was only getting a game because he was Ince's mate.

I think people are warming to him. A goal in front of the BBE and he should be as mentionable as any other player.

Whilst Dunn is injured, has he had a real alternative?

Someone a few weeks ago posted the requirements of a capable central midfielder.

Andrews regularly does 1/2/3 decent things a match. It still doesn't mean he is Premiership standard, or indeed of the quality that we should have been looking for in the summer for us to kick on from 7th place.

There are equally many examples in the same matches that suggest he is the type of player who should be improved on if we want a better squad.

On the other hand, if we're getting ready for the championship, he might well be ideal.

ince made no disasterous signings

grella and robinson look very good

andrews looks very decent

villanueva was worth a punt and has done ok, at least it got us excited, just doesnt fit into the system

simpson was a loan so hardy disasterous

Well when Ince was in charge, everybody was claiming we had a world class central midfielder waiting in the wings in Johann Vogel.

Big Sam doesn't seem to be Johanns biggest fan either, does he?

Vogel was an alternative for central midfield, but maybe not in the position Andrews played.

I know Al didn't rate him but I thought he played the defensive role quite well last season.

Personally I would be quite fascinated to know why Vogel isn't being used at all now.

I wonder if Allardyce has seen a lot of him or if he is basing his judgement on his largely unchanged backroom staff.

villanueva was worth a punt and has done ok, at least it got us excited, just doesnt fit into the system

Grella looks promising from what little we've seen of him, Robinson is average and not a patch on Brad, Andrews has done better than expected but still average at best, Villanueva can't comment.

Simpson was disastrous given the amount of times Ince played him, and then there was Fowler...

Ince's signings weren't entirely awful but were hardly good either.

(Andrews ) I think people are warming to him.

I am warming to him. I would never have signed him in the first place but he has played quite a few games for us now and it is hard not to think of him as " one of us ". So lay off him. It would be a dream and a fairy tale if he made it and is far closer to this than ever I thought he would be. I would love him to really suceed and he has done OK so far ( after a pretty shaky start ) But we did throw him in the deep end

I am warming to him. I would never have signed him in the first place but he has played quite a few games for us now and it is hard not to think of him as " one of us ". So lay off him. It would be a dream and a fairy tale if he made it and is far closer to this than ever I thought he would be. I would love him to really suceed and he has done OK so far ( after a pretty shaky start ) But we did throw him in the deep end

It wasnt the boys fault, the problem here is that we got a journeyman and not a player, in the sense that he will never be able to control a premiership midfield, just look how Dunny and Grella controlled the second half on Saturday.

yes a squad player but should not have been signed at that time and for me age was against him too, had he been 20, there was room for improvement but his ball retention and pace are not up to high standards.

No--they were merely mediocre for the most part.Even Robinson is a come-down from Friedal. No-one to take us up a level or even maintain our position. A recipe for relegation when his other "attributes" are added.

No--they were merely mediocre for the most part.Even Robinson is a come-down from Friedal. No-one to take us up a level or even maintain our position. A recipe for relegation when his other "attributes" are added.

But his shot stopping is great and his long kicks are also very good. His kicking is much better than Friedel's and will get us a few goals a season.

He is also much younger.

It was a good deal

Robinson is an average keeper. The performances should tell you that (a few mistakes already which have cost us points, some good shot stopping but ultimately no stunning performances of the type you expect from most quality keepers a few times a season). The ACTIM index which takes numerous figures into account will also tell you that, where he isn't placed among the top 15 keepers in the league despite keepers who have conceded more than him being nearby. Capello's non-inclusion is also an indicator, given as he's already given a few non big-4 players a go.

We could and should have got someone better. I can't tell you exactly who, as I don't have anything like the scouting available to me as Ince did, but keepers are generally cheap and I'm sure one better could've been found somewhere on the continent for the same money.

Archived