BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Do People Do?

I'm a GIS Analyst. I crunch numbers and make maps. Of course this involves lots of colouring in :)

Ooooh im going on a GIS professional course next week in Salford and again in March.

Im a report writer/ data analyst - Build databases, write reports using SQL and Visual Basic. Also implement new systems. Aswell as doing all the statutory reporting and looking at any performance issues and ways to tackle them for the organisation. Il also be doing alot more GIS work when iv been trained next week.

Pays well... so happy for now.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ooooh im going on a GIS professional course next week in Salford and again in March.

Im a report writer/ data analyst - Build databases, write reports using SQL and Visual Basic. Also implement new systems. Aswell as doing all the statutory reporting and looking at any performance issues and ways to tackle them for the organisation. Il also be doing alot more GIS work when iv been trained next week.

Urban (aka Town) Planner by profession. I also have a geography degree...we used to make lots of pretty maps. We used to joke geography was the only subject you could study in university and still get to use pencil crayons.

Forensic and Scientific Evidence Investigator.

4.2yrs to retirement :rolleyes:

Bet you look good in a SOCO suit! Hahaha. I'd never watch CSI with you then otherwise you'd be like my sister whenever The Bill is on: constantly saying "Well that's wrong. And that. They'd never do that they'd be sacked......" and suchlike.

I have a crap job. All I'm willing to say is that I work at The Marine Commando base outside Exeter, and I'm not exactly a PTI instructor. It definately is not using my degree and post-graduate diploma in Heritage Management.

That is pretty much my job description. Apart from I also have to present my findings to directors and provide recommendations etc.

I was never an option when I started work. Heck the fax machine hadnt been invented.

As a trainee teacher I had to be taught how to use a video recorder because nobody had them Now we do everything on the interactive whiteboard and computer, even in language teaching. No training really given, learn on the job from others who know what they are doing. Registers, reports, reward systems, everything on the whiteboard.

As a trainee teacher I had to be taught how to use a video recorder because nobody had them Now we do everything on the interactive whiteboard and computer, even in language teaching. No training really given, learn on the job from others who know what they are doing. Registers, reports, reward systems, everything on the whiteboard.

Do you not refer to as a non-colour specific board? Keep it PC

Our IWB has a programme that you work through and it teaches you how to use the different parts of it.

I thought it was was standard practice that as soon as you qualify to be a teacher you lose alll ability to use any form of technology! I am continually breaking my IWB much to the technicians annoyance.

emma-maersk-underway.jpeg

I buy space on ships like this one.

Which enables our friends in America, Australia, China and even Malta to enjoy various well known drinks such as Guinness, Johnnie Walker, Gordons, Tanqueray, Cuervo Tequila, Baileys, Smirnoff, J&B, Bushmills, Captain Morgans and Bells, and some great single malts like Talisker, Lagavulin, Oban and Glenkinchie.

Here ends the advert. Please drink alcohol responsibly. :xmas:

Statistical Programmer.

I take datasets and make other datasets, listings, summary tables, statistical analyses and graphs, using a programming language called SAS.

It may not sound exciting, but it pays the bills.

Bryan - How long have you used SAS? Used to work there many moons ago!

Now run an event management company doing conferences and exhibitions for corporates.

Software engineer (Ada and Python) for an international systems company.

I drink it and wind-up Tris, occasionally.

Have a portfolio of projects that keep me in and out of mischief. Most fun is organising events in the things I most enjoy- football and classical music.

Philipl, with this in mind you may be interested to know that Blackburn Cathedral Choir are perfoming Handel's Messiah at the Manoel Theatre , Valletta on Tuesday 17th Feb.

What - so all the IT people are anti-Ince? :):lol:

That isn't what he said. He just said it's not representative. It's true. While we do have members who have jobs not involving IT, the fact that many people who work in IT can log on and post from work results in a greater proportion of members working in IT on this website than you would typically find down Ewood.

Archived