BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester United Preview

Realistic Outcome:

2-0 United.

Optimistic Outcome:

Rovers park the coach infront of the goal and come away with a 0-0.

To be honest I'd happy if we nicked a goal so they can stop talking about Van Der Saar having not conceded a goal for 1,567,891 minutes or whatever every week.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where's the preview for this game?

Anyway, i've got a feeling it's going to be very similar to the game at Ewood this season. United with all the possesion and turning us over easily.

Damage limitation. We can't let our heads drop especially with a massive game VS Hull coming up the following week. I'd be happy with a decent performance. Gone are the days where we gave the top 4 a run for their money im afraid.

We didnt convert some of the performances in the last few matches under Big Sam into wins, and I fear it will cost us. We have gone off the boil during the last few games too and the new manager effect has worn off. We got our work cut out for us now, and even matches like these we have to believe we can get 1 point out of...I hope. I pray.

I can see us putting in a fairly solid effort in shutting them down (probably 4-5-1 with RSC up front) with a couple of Man U moments of magic sealing the win 2-0. We'll have a couple of chances to score, but it will be something like 10 shots on target to 2.

Not having Samba really, really hurts us. He's our most important player in games like these.

that is just the sort of negative attitudes I have come to expect on here who knows we might sneak a draw or even a win not out of the realms of possibility but have to say am worried about Ooijer's lack of pace and don't really think he is an ideal RB we need to stay positive otherwise if the attitude is we will get hammered that's what happens was talking to a friend the other day about this and I have to admit I was a little sceptical not the easiest place to go and this is a lillywhites fan he said you have to remain positive because at some point they will drop points and we might get something out of this game probably unlikely but still a chance and if the player's pick up on this negative karma how does anyone think they will react well they will say they think we will get beat so we might as well not turn up hardly the right mentality to go into a game where we need to get something out of

Present for you .,.,.,.,.,.,

Agreed that in general we're looking more organised but I was expecting a more marked upturn in the hunger and overall performance of the side.

I'm in complete agreement with this and am disappointed with the players' reaction to the new manager. While I've always been one who favoured Rovers living within their means the failure to replace Bentley and invest in the midfield is a clearly a major error. We don't have any creativity, any real chance of scoring enough goals and this has badly impacted on the squad's attitude.

The lack of any real improvement under Sam is for me the clearest indicator at least 50%, perhaps more, of our problems are down to the players. I think we've got ourselves stuck with a dispirited bunch who couldn't give two hoots about the club and have become incapable of producing a decent performance. I can understand how their mental attitude has reached this point, it's just a shame they can't shake themsleves out of it.

Apart from Dunn, Tugay, Samba, Emerton, Zurab and possibly Robinson * we should clear out the whole squad and start again. The rest clearly do not want to be here. None of them inspire any passion or emotion. They refused to play for Ince, don't seem very interested in playing for Sam and are only here for the money. The real answer to the relegation battle lays with the squad and the truth, for me, is they don't have the bottle to get us out of this mess. I feel sorry for Allardyce who seems to have walked into a far bigger mess than he might have anticipated.

I'll give Diouf and Givet, who looks average at best, the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Anyway three of us will be at Old Trafford cheering the club on.

Paul you reckon Givet is average at best? 13 French caps, you dont get if you an average player. Diouf is a very good player, and on his day can really be impressive. However, Diouf can be very inconsistent which can be frustrating as well.

Oh yes 1-0 win for Rovers.

Keep the Faith!

Givet is just another journeyman footballer from God knows where who has achieved what? Nothing. He's obviously unwanted by his club which is why he's on loan in the PL. Foreign players turn up every transfer window who we've never heard, take us for thousands every week, perhaps have a good season then ###### off somewhere else to a bigger club because "I need to play European football." Unfortunately these players then usually mope around Ewood failing to do their jobs for a season when they realise other clubs don't have such a high opinion of them as they do of themselves and they are stuck in Lancashire.

Cynical moi? Only when it comes to PL football.

Yes I'm pre-judging him and it's probably unreasonable but Givet, along with any other player, has everything to prove to me. Lets see him busting a gut for Rovers then I'll get excited till then he's just the left back who has to prove he's better than Warnock - which he wasn't last Saturday.

Givet is just another journeyman footballer from God knows where who has achieved what? Nothing. He's obviously unwanted by his club which is why he's on loan in the PL. Foreign players turn up every transfer window who we've never heard, take us for thousands every week, perhaps have a good season then ###### off somewhere else to a bigger club because "I need to play European football." Unfortunately these players then usually mope around Ewood failing to do their jobs for a season when they realise other clubs don't have such a high opinion of them as they do of themselves and they are stuck in Lancashire.

Cynical moi? Only when it comes to PL football.

Yes I'm pre-judging him and it's probably unreasonable but Givet, along with any other player, has everything to prove to me. Lets see him busting a gut for Rovers then I'll get excited till then he's just the left back who has to prove he's better than Warnock - which he wasn't last Saturday.

Givet the journeyman who played in the Champions league final a couple of years ago. :rolleyes: He has played in the champions league, international level for France (not Ireland), I heard of Givet he was immense for Marseille but has fallen out with the management. Considering he has played twice for Rovers and impressed- twice, I think pre judging the bloke is a little unwise.

: He has played in the champions league, international level for France (not Ireland),

Let us not forget that Stephan Guivarch won a World Cup with France.

However, I do think it is unfair to judge Givet. He's done quite well in two cup games and hasn't shown any reason why he can't take that form into the Premier League. And it won't be ideal to judge himn if he does play today because making your debut in the league at Old Trafford is as tough as they come.

Anyway, come on Benni. You've done it before !!

NOTE

I am very sorry about my lack of preview and the people I may have let down, planned to do it at the start of the week but laptop troubles means that I haven't been with any form of computer until yesterday evening. Many apologies

Note: As stated in the other thread, been without a laptop until today due to its unprecedented repair. I am very sorry for this very belated preview.

Manchester United vs Rovers

So, Rovers go into this game deep in the relegation mire, a point of safety, desperately scrapping for points to ensure our Premiership survival. Compare that with the opponents, Manchester United, who haven't conceded in what seems like forever, and hold a healthy, formidable five point lead over their nearest opposition. The gap seems even bigger when you compare the gap a mere 14 years ago. Manchester United were the team behind Rovers, with King Kenny's men marching on to give Rovers their only Premiership win. Since that day, United have won trophies galore, whilst Rovers have been relegated, promoted and won the Worthington Cup. Since King Kenny left the Ewood helm, Ray Harford, Tony Parkes, Roy Hodgson, Brian Kidd, Graeme Souness, Mark Hughes and Paul Ince have all enjoyed (although we didn't particularly enjoy the company of a few, most notably Ince and Kidd) spells in charge of the famous Blue and Whites. Sir Alex Ferguson, meanwhile, is still manager of Manchester United, despite constantly planning to 'retire'.

Rovers' recent history at Old Trafford is pretty woeful, with very little points ever being taken back home. If, as Andy Gray, Richard Keys etc tell you, football only exists from 1992 (which makes it seem odd when they talk about past legends), Rovers have only picked up one win from Old Trafford. In 2005 Morten Gamst Pedersen rifled home two goals to give Rovers a famous victory at the Theatre of Dreams - now we feel lucky if Pedersen scores two all season. Meanwhile, ManYoo have won ten of these fixtures, underlining the difficulty facing Rovers today. Combine the statistics with the fact United are in the form of their life, whilst Rovers are this season languishing in the bottom depths of the Premiership. No wonder Big Sam says we are under no pressure.

The last fixture Rovers had at Old Trafford was back in December, where Rovers' defence were truly abysmal, the home side winning 5-3. And they said Ince's tenure wasn't entertaining? Ince Out chants developed, and Robbie Fowler was involved in a competition between the two fans as to who could boo him the loudest. This meant Rovers crashed out of the League Cup at the Quarter Final stage, without showing any real fight or passion. There have been other notable encounters, one in 94-95, where a Cantona goal gave United a crucial 1-0 win. However, Tim Sherwood had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed, and Sir Alex was seen casually slipping the referee a handful of notes post game. In the season before, Rovers should have received a clear cut penalty with the Blues 1-0 up, however the referee didn't want to spoil United's Premiership party. Who really wants to be the party pooper? That would be plain disrespectful to Sir/King/God Alex <_< . Rovers were shown a hidden Premiership rule that "penalties shall not be given, to a side wearing a colour other than red, at Old Trafford". The other games have been less eventful, with Rovers losing the majority, however drawing in the 02-03 Carling Cup Semi Final Leg One (went on to lose) and narrowly being beaten by a Saha goal in the second leg of the Carling Cup in 2006. #

A lot of players have played for both teams, and I am sure I will miss out a few. There are some who have done a fantastic service, David May, Henning Berg, Mark Hughes, Andy Cole (to an extent). However, Dwight Yorke is hardly adhered at Ewood, and Paul Ince didn't exactly do much to win over the Rovers fans during his brief, yet too lengthy, spell as Rovers boss. Even United fans hate him, after his move to their bitter rivals Liverpool years after he left United.

At Old Trafford last year, Rovers were beaten 2-0 due to a Ronaldo double, whilst David Dunn was sent off for the visitors. In the corresponding fixture at Ewood, United ran out 2-0 winners, in one of the most one sided encounters I have seen. We hardly touched the ball, and were outclassed for the whole game. If only we would show the fight we did at Ewood Park last season, where we battled and scrapped to a 1-1 draw, a matter of minutes away from a famous, and possibly season altering (for both sides) win.

Tickets are nice and cheap for this game, the tax cut allowing the tickets to fall to a measly £40.23. Thank God the tickets weren't £42, I might go now I save that £1.77. :closedeyes:

NOTE: Any tickets available on the day of the game, from Rovers or United?

Paul it had nothing to do with his club not wanting him. Givet had a fall out with the manager, which is why either he went or their coach went. At the end of the day, he is a Rovers player and will certainly prove his worth.

Better late than never! Cheers for that Sambo.

Had some difficulties, my laptop broke and went off for repair. I probably should have done it at a library or something, but completely forgot, was relying on the Preview messages in my inbox. Sorry for how late it is, but forgive me as I am 17 today! :brfcsmilie::rover:

Any tickets available today anyone? Might be tempted to go.

I know not a big deal but according to the bbc Rovers squad -

Blackburn (from): Robinson, Bunn, Ooijer, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Warnock, Givet, Olsson, Dunn, Villanueva, Grella, Tugay, Andrews, Diouf, Pedersen, Treacy, Mokoena, Haworth, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Roberts.

I thought Bunn had gone to Leicester?

I know not a big deal but according to the bbc Rovers squad -

Blackburn (from): Robinson, Bunn, Ooijer, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Warnock, Givet, Olsson, Dunn, Villanueva, Grella, Tugay, Andrews, Diouf, Pedersen, Treacy, Mokoena, Haworth, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Roberts.

I thought Bunn had gone to Leicester?

Come on, you don't think the BBC would know that do you? They've only found out that Bryan Douglas has hung up his boots

Archived