BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn

47er

what will be remembered for years and years? us finishing a place or two higher in the league or another victory against burnley. true on paper it is only three points, but everyone knows it is more than that and to kid yourself into believing that at the end of the day it doesn't is like denying an extra dimension's existence. sam will no doubt tell his players to treat it like another game (to ease pressure since we are the better side and a performance like we have seen recently with exception to birmingham should be enough to see us win) but everybody else knows different.

on a side note i now have nothing to do until the match. nothing but think about every conceivable possibility. it's pretty scary.

No, everyone who has been brought up on the rivalry thinks differently. I accept that. I don't come from round here and haven't been brought up to hate Burnley. It genuinely is for me, just another match. There must be quite a lot of other fans who don't buy into this "We must beat Burnley or we'll never hear the end of it." I want to beat them, I hope we do beat them, but it's not a disaster if we don't and as far as I'm concerned it would be good if they stay up so that we can carry on playing them and beating them more often than not.

I accept that I'm in the minority on here to feel like that, and when feelings are running high among certain of you it's probably not the right time to tell you but it is really just a game that we want to win like we want to win them all. It doesn't matter to the players or management any more than Wednesday's game did, other than they appreciate how much it matters to some fans and so want to win it for them as well as getting the points.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gumboots I can assure you that there are not many fans within BWDBC who consider this game as just another game.

For the home game the whole atmosphere within the place was buzzing, people were meeting up from 7am in the morning in Darwen, after the game the celebrations at the back of the BBE were incredible as was the night out. The derby changes the way every Rover around here feels about football and the 31 years means so much to all of us. Granted there maybe a couple of hundred who can claim not to care but all the other genuine Rovers fans know what the derby games mean to the town. (Not saying people who don't care about the derby aren't genuine fans I meant those who aren't into footy.)

• Backroom

I'm just glad we are so far ahead, even if they do win the bragging rights solely belong to us being 11 points clear.

If I could have either losing and them going down or winning and them staying up, I'd take a setback this sunday for sure, the battle would be lost but the war would be won so to speak.

Hopefully, there will not be an opportunity for my point to be proven right.

But a first defeat to the dingles in 31 years under Sam's watch not catastrophic?

Are you serious?

What planet are you on?

Relegation would be catastrophic, defeat to Burnley would be very painful, but it's not going to effect the future and very existence of our club.

Gumboots I can assure you that there are not many fans within BWDBC who consider this game as just another game.

For the home game the whole atmosphere within the place was buzzing, people were meeting up from 7am in the morning in Darwen, after the game the celebrations at the back of the BBE were incredible as was the night out. The derby changes the way every Rover around here feels about football and the 31 years means so much to all of us. Granted there maybe a couple of hundred who can claim not to care but all the other genuine Rovers fans know what the derby games mean to the town. (Not saying people who don't care about the derby aren't genuine fans I meant those who aren't into footy.)

But then lots of Rovers fans don't live in BWD. I don't - I work there but live in Clitheroe where the population are split fairly evenly between the 2 clubs if they follow local football and aren't Utd "fans". As I said - I can accept if you are born and bred in BWD perhaps you feel that winning this one is more important, than any other. But the idea that it's somehow a catastrophe if we lose from which the town and the club will struggle to recover, well we'll have to agree to differ on that one. Most of the Burnley fans I know feel pretty much the same too.

I think people are placing far too much stock in Dunn. A few games ago, everyone was saying how we were carrying him. Two goals against Brum and now he's indispensable. Yes, we're a better side when he's on form, but if we can't beat that sinking ship down the road without him then serious questions must be asked.

I think people are placing far too much stock in Dunn. A few games ago, everyone was saying how we were carrying him. Two goals against Brum and now he's indispensable. Yes, we're a better side when he's on form, but if we can't beat that sinking ship down the road without him then serious questions must be asked.

Dunny is indespensable against the Dingles. That's about all at the moment...

Hopefully, there will not be an opportunity for my point to be proven right.

But a first defeat to the dingles in 31 years happening under Sam's watch not catastrophic?

Are you serious?

Anyway, how is David Dunn?

On Radio Lancs it said he would be fit for the match.

wowow another post with us in agreement.

It would seem that the upcoming derby game has caused unexpected harmony to break out among previously diametrically opposed Rovers fans. You agreeing with Ivan, me with Gordon, hopefully after the weekend we can get back to normal or it's going to get boring around here.

No, everyone who has been brought up on the rivalry thinks differently. I accept that. I don't come from round here and haven't been brought up to hate Burnley. It genuinely is for me, just another match. There must be quite a lot of other fans who don't buy into this "We must beat Burnley or we'll never hear the end of it." I want to beat them, I hope we do beat them, but it's not a disaster if we don't and as far as I'm concerned it would be good if they stay up so that we can carry on playing them and beating them more often than not.

I accept that I'm in the minority on here to feel like that, and when feelings are running high among certain of you it's probably not the right time to tell you but it is really just a game that we want to win like we want to win them all. It doesn't matter to the players or management any more than Wednesday's game did, other than they appreciate how much it matters to some fans and so want to win it for them as well as getting the points.

Oh Gumboots!! Deary deary me!........ You know not what you say. To refer to the Rovers v Burnley (or vice versa) derby as just another football match around these parts, or on this MB, is nothing less than heresy and sacrilege rolled into one.

It is actually war, and not any old war,but nothing less than Armegedon!! And if people especially Sam and the players do not realise that, then the wrath that awaits them in case of failure (and that includes a draw) is just too terrible to contemplate. Ooohh dear i have gone quite faint at the thought of it.............

Oh Gumboots!! Deary deary me!........ You know not what you say. To refer to the Rovers v Burnley (or vice versa) derby as just another football match around these parts, or on this MB, is nothing less than heresy and sacrilege rolled into one.

It is actually war, and not any old war,but nothing less than Armegedon!! And if people especially Sam and the players do not realise that, then the wrath that awaits them in case of failure (and that includes a draw) is just too terrible to contemplate. Ooohh dear i have gone quite faint at the thought of it.............

Oh but Fife I do know what I'm saying. I know others don't think it, not even my own kids, who were born and brought up around here, but it is nevertheless fact. You get no more points for it and "bragging rights" are only worth it if you feel the need for them. I KNOW that win, lose or draw, Rovers are a better club, and I don't need bragging rights to tell me so. My world won't end if we don't win; it won't even pause on its axis for a split second before deciding to turn again. I'll love being able to wind up my daughter's boyfriend, who is a Burnley fan, and I'll love being able to have friendly banter with other Burnley fans I know, but it's fun - that's all. It's not war; it's not Armageddon, despite what most on here seem to think. I'm not a nasty person really and don't quite get rivalry and trying to do others down. And is this the time to say I've got a ticket and can't go?

You on Valium or something. If we lose the banter will cease, all you will hear in response to your jibes is something along the lines of "who won last?" Trust me you don't even want to try to not care about losing this one.

You on Valium or something. If we lose the banter will cease, all you will hear in response to your jibes is something along the lines of "who won last?" Trust me you don't even want to try to not care about losing this one.

No and I won't get any of those sort of jibes. Think I just live in a different world from many on here, where lots of people around me are Burnley fans and somehow we don't even wind one another up about it. And who says I don't care about losing - of course i do - just not more than I'd have cared about losing to Birmingham or Bolton. I don't like any other clubs and especially not when they are playing Rovers, but i don't single one out as a special dislike, although victory over the Sky 4 tastes very sweet because it's unexpected. As I've said countless times, I don't expect you to agree, that's your right, but you won't persuade me otherwise.

That's just not how it works. He could win five on the bounce and then lose to Burnley and there would be a fan backlash. That's how it works.

As I said, it's irrational.

As for me it would be a big disappointment.... but I've experienced much worse in my time.

Archived