BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for your reply Nicko.

But again, you're highlighting the exceptions to the rule as opposed to the rule itself. A handful of games over a number of years certainly doesn't indicate that Allardyce's approach is primarily anything but long, direct and (in my opinion) unwatchable football. I'm sure Bolton fans - as much as they may have enjoyed their successes under Allardyce - wouldn't claim to have been relentlessly entertained by the passing football on display at the Reebok. Sometimes Man Utd play poorly, but for the vast majority of the time, they don't. Sometimes Allardyce's Bolton played decent football, but for the vast majority of the time, they didn't.

You mention that "playing long ball football with players who cannot play it is unwatchable" - but who has arrived during the summer to address this issue and make things any different for next season? Van Heerden? Hoillett? N'zonzi? Jacobsen? I know we're on the look out for a big striker, but surely that can only exacerbate the problem. (Even if it is Pogrebnyak, who would be an asset to any team.)

I'm not looking for anyone to cite examples of the few games Allardyce teams have passed the football - for each example you can give me I can provide 30 which were hideous and soul-destroying to watch. In reading this far most people will no doubt be furious because they believe I'm being pessimistic, but I'm not - I'm being realistic.

Seriously, what do you want the outcome to be? Allardyce sacked? You have convinced yourself that the football on display next year will be ###### so in your mind you're being realistic. What next then? Are you not going to watch until someone else comes in? Or are you going to watch and boo, and wish for Tony Mowbray, because that West Brom lot played lovely football and everyone said so and they weren't a laughing stock? I guess I just don't understand where you are going with all of this

Bloomin' "Carlo" and "Franco"! I remember when I knew every player we bought. Proper football then.

You mean Bobby, Reg, Ronnie, Albert, Bill, Eddie, Tommy and Mick?

By the way I hear this Brazilian kid may be rather good.

Going to have to take this one a bit more seriously...

Interesting - how will we go about a work permit? Or is it easier with him being from a top footballing nation?

Ressie keeper Mark Bunn could well be going to Sheff U on loan.

Speed coming the other way as Coach?

Martins for £9m? We were mugged by the greeks over Matty!

Why? Your not suggesting derbs is anywhere near the quality of Martins? :huh:

No news about Pogrebnyak means it could still well happen, nicko? One of your sources would confirm it was dead if that was the case, yes? :)

I think all of the possibles are still possibles while the search goes on...some of the targets need to be cheaper, others need to be keen to come.

You have not found the perfect one just yet. But you have money, so there is still hope and a bit of time.

Apologies that we didn't play like Arsenal

[snip]

The good news is that with the considerable funds Big Sam has at his disposal now we can get a team together that will pass other teams to death, score goals and generally be easy on the eye.

[snip]

Still - come on Sam - get us playing Total Football on a shoestring please.

I didn't bother responding to this post because it's reductive, and I've answered similar points a million times in the past - As another BRFCS poster put it (and I forget who, apologies!), "there has got to be some middle ground between Bolton 2005 and Brazil 1970". I'm not asking for Arsenal, I'm asking for at least an attempt at passing football. For all those pointing out we've been playing 4-4-2, I wish they would explain why this means we won't be playing as ugly as last season - the change in formation makes not one iota of difference to the footballing ethos.

By the way Bob, I really hope Allardyce will be able to spend some of the "considerable funds" you mention, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Surely Moyes won't be letting Lescott go at any cost - I can't see why Joleon himself would come out and say he wants to go because Everton have a bit more going for them than City (apart from the dough of course) ie. consistently good side and in Europe. Plus it's the World Cup and surely he wouldn't want to risk that by signing for the enigma that is MCFC.

Every player has his price.

Lescott also knows he can more than double his wages at Man City...wonder why?

The player will ask for a move...Everton will have their 'out' and if they are sensible they will spend the money wisely and buy two or three more.

Remember, Lescott failed a medical at Everton because of a knee injury and the deal had to be re-structured.

Surely Moyes won't be letting Lescott go at any cost - I can't see why Joleon himself would come out and say he wants to go because Everton have a bit more going for them than City (apart from the dough of course) ie. consistently good side and in Europe. Plus it's the World Cup and surely he wouldn't want to risk that by signing for the enigma that is MCFC.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lescott goes Barney. Sorry for Everton (your team I'd have thought) but City are well and truly in the mix - not just for Europe but surely the top 4. With an enitre month to go of the transfer window and they keep buying quality - well who knows? Top 2?

Does anyone know whats going on with Pizarro at Chelsea perhaps he could be an option?????

Could be going back to Werder Bremen. You can't take two players on loan from another Premier club, by the way.

• Backroom

I'm still hoping a striker bid is imminent, Sam surely knows it would be a great bonus to have him in for the first game.

Out of interest is the home friendly a week today?

You mean Bobby, Reg, Ronnie, Albert, Bill, Eddie, Tommy and Mick?

Not forgetting Fred, Bazza. He was a good un, but got into a bit of trouble later in life. Not the only ex-rover to go that way either, - I'm thinking of Simon. :)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lescott goes Barney. Sorry for Everton (your team I'd have thought) but City are well and truly in the mix - not just for Europe but surely the top 4. With an enitre month to go of the transfer window and they keep buying quality - well who knows? Top 2?

Nah I dunno about that Bob, I have a feeling City aren't going to do half as well as people think they are - it's all very well throwing the incredients together the way they are but I just don't think we'll see the finished article for some time. BTW I'm not a Toffee, I support Rovers like you but I can see why you thought that - ie 'Blue' in my name, I never thought of that! ;-)

Could be going back to Werder Bremen. You can't take two players on loan from another Premier club, by the way.

Yes, but we could sign him permanently. He had a cracking season last year 6 footer, good scoring record hopefully not too expensive but arrived on a free??? Or does the loan move comment mean he's well out of our financial reach??

Did your mate at Newcastle tell you any of the Brazilian lads strengths??

EDIT: WOW wiki says he's on $100K a week, nevermind.

Thanks for your reply Nicko.

But again, you're highlighting the exceptions to the rule as opposed to the rule itself. A handful of games over a number of years certainly doesn't indicate that Allardyce's approach is primarily anything but long, direct and (in my opinion) unwatchable football. I'm sure Bolton fans - as much as they may have enjoyed their successes under Allardyce - wouldn't claim to have been relentlessly entertained by the passing football on display at the Reebok. Sometimes Man Utd play poorly, but for the vast majority of the time, they don't. Sometimes Allardyce's Bolton played decent football, but for the vast majority of the time, they didn't.

You mention that "playing long ball football with players who cannot play it is unwatchable" - but who has arrived during the summer to address this issue and make things any different for next season? Van Heerden? Hoillett? N'zonzi? Jacobsen? I know we're on the look out for a big striker, but surely that can only exacerbate the problem. (Even if it is Pogrebnyak, who would be an asset to any team.)

I'm not looking for anyone to cite examples of the few games Allardyce teams have passed the football - for each example you can give me I can provide 30 which were hideous and soul-destroying to watch. In reading this far most people will no doubt be furious because they believe I'm being pessimistic, but I'm not - I'm being realistic.

Have you considered that the way sams team have played in the past - is a tactic in itself. Every manager expects sams teams to play a certain way - and therefore are shocked and ill prepared when his teams play a good passing style of football, which gives sams teams the victory. The fact that a manager - not just sam - can get his teams to adapt, to play in different styles speaks volume for that manager.

The reality today is that football is a result business as well as a money surviving business - therefore a team has to adapt to different styles, not just in defending against but competeing with.

It is easy to say sams teams play this way and that, but each game has to be judge seperately.

Personally if rovers beat all the top four this season and each game was by booting it up field and hoping it goes in the net - I would be chuffed to bits and couldn't give a toss what the game looked like - pretty or not. A victory is a victory and that is all that matters.

Rovers got battered at home by spurs last season - yet Rovers pinched the result - did any of us care about the style of football on show? No we were happy with win and the 3 points.

Every player has his price.

Lescott also knows he can more than double his wages at Man City...wonder why?

The player will ask for a move...Everton will have their 'out' and if they are sensible they will spend the money wisely and buy two or three more.

Remember, Lescott failed a medical at Everton because of a knee injury and the deal had to be re-structured.

Oh so there's buy-out clause in his contract? Well in that case I can see where your coming from Nicko. Moyes just strikes me as the type of fellow not to be messed with for players and managers alike. Can't really recall him having many players prised disapprovingly away from him over the 7 years he's been manager there - maybe Rooney was one but there hasn't been many. I suppose it's true Citeh are leaking all sorts of info to the Press about their targets - well that's what I just heard discussed on Talksh*te anyway!

Have you considered that the way sams team have played in the past - is a tactic in itself. Every manager expects sams teams to play a certain way - and therefore are shocked and ill prepared when his teams play a good passing style of football, which gives sams teams the victory. The fact that a manager - not just sam - can get his teams to adapt, to play in different styles speaks volume for that manager.

The reality today is that football is a result business as well as a money surviving business - therefore a team has to adapt to different styles, not just in defending against but competeing with.

It is easy to say sams teams play this way and that, but each game has to be judge seperately.

Personally if rovers beat all the top four this season and each game was by booting it up field and hoping it goes in the net - I would be chuffed to bits and couldn't give a toss what the game looked like - pretty or not. A victory is a victory and that is all that matters.

Rovers got battered at home by spurs last season - yet Rovers pinched the result - did any of us care about the style of football on show? No we were happy with win and the 3 points.

Yes, exactly!!

You get nothing in this game for playing pretty football and losing!!!

A game plan is the issue here, Sam will sort it, do not fear, he is one hell of a cool cookie and knows what he is about, if he needs to hoof it, he will, if he can pass it around, he will, as long as its succesfull!

Why? Your not suggesting derbs is anywhere near the quality of Martins? :huh:

Martins is often pants, and no-one knows his age. Derbs is not a brilliant player, but he does score vital goals which is what a striker is supposed to do. If the vastly over rated Martins is worth £9m despite having little more than a bit of pace...............

Barca were mugged over Ibrahimovic too.

Oh so there's buy-out clause in his contract? Well in that case I can see where your coming from Nicko. Moyes just strikes me as the type of fellow not to be messed with for players and managers alike. Can't really recall him having many players prised disapprovingly away from him over the 7 years he's been manager there - maybe Rooney was one but there hasn't been many. I suppose it's true Citeh are leaking all sorts of info to the Press about their targets - well that's what I just heard discussed on Talksh*te anyway!

Andy Johnson is the best recent example...he wasn't going to be sold...then he kicked up a fuss and went.

You have not exactly missed him.

Lescott knows he is in for a big pay-day at Man City and Moyes knows that is going to happen too deep down.

It's just a matter of finding the right replacement.

It was the same with Rovers and Roque. No point keeping them in the end.

Martins is often pants, and no-one knows his age. Derbs is not a brilliant player, but he does score vital goals which is what a striker is supposed to do. If the vastly over rated Martins is worth £9m despite having little more than a bit of pace...............

Barca were mugged over Ibrahimovic too.

Two spot on observations there.

Any news on Cardozo, is he still too pricey but interesting? Do you reckon Benfica is holding out for cash, or just simply trying to keep him?

I am going to take it that he was watched at Wembley last weekend...not heard anything on him since...the price is too high...so he stays in the 'possibly maybe' category.

Archived