BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And that was a hugely interesting contribution you just made. Thanks.

I find this board fascinating. The vast number of people who seem hellbent on ignoring all the evidence, facts and past history surrounding Sam Allardyce to somehow believe we'll play anything like actual football next season is astounding. If you are one of the blinkered minions who must desperately believe that "change can happen", then I'm afraid you're in for a crushing disappointment.

philipl - We were completely and utterly unwatchable under Allardyce last season, it was dross of the highest order. And (apart from Newcastle, of course) we very quickly became the laughing stock of the Premier League, resorting to playing a centre back up front while strikers warmed the bench. If you'd be happy to watch more of the same again week-in-week-out for the next few seasons, then you'll forgive me if I don't join you.

We have to demand better.

I know where you're coming from Spencey and up to a point, I agree with you.

The bottom line is though, that if our lads score goals and win games, no-one will give a toss about the football, or otherwise, on view. Likewise, pretty, sexy [ -admittedly unlikely], losing football, will lose the fans and the manager. So that last bit of your post wont happen simply because of the style of football.

Sam had to play a certain way last season to survive.

I'm certainly not disputing that point and I hope for better things this season. But the manager has his hands tied by the financial constraints placed upon him.

The one thing I can’t and won’t watch is hoof ball, if we have to resort to that I’ll be considering my position in the bar under the Blackburn end, and I’ll be listening on the radio instead. The Stoke game away was the worst performance I’ve seen from a Rovers side in many a year, and that was hoof ball percentage stuff from both sides, TERRIBLE STUFF.

we very quickly became the laughing stock of the Premier League, resorting to playing a centre back up front while strikers warmed the bench.

That one sentence along shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm certainly not disputing that point and I hope for better things this season. But the manager has his hands tied by the financial constraints placed upon him.

The one thing I can’t and won’t watch is hoof ball, if we have to resort to that I’ll be considering my position in the bar under the Blackburn end, and I’ll be listening on the radio instead. The Stoke game away was the worst performance I’ve seen from a Rovers side in many a year, and that was hoof ball percentage stuff from both sides, TERRIBLE STUFF.

A shamefull carry on indeed Gav TSK TSK!!!!!

:lol:

We were a laughing stock for the first 17 games. We were far from a laughing stock after that. If that's what you choose to believe then so be it. Probably best just to leave you to it

Agree , people seem to forget that we were deep in the 'brown stuff' prior to sam arriving due to pretty football,sam brought his style in defend first which dont forget worked ,play to your strengths they say , no fit strikers remember, we shall see what this years squad does IN THE PREMIERSHIP , we stayed up or did we forget that???

Got to say, I don't know if you were at either, but sometimes it pays to do a wee bit of research and see what is going on.

Are you suggesting that the evidence of two friendly games (one of which was a reserve match) should therefore outweigh ten years of proven anti-football?

(Incidentally - you can still play hideous "hoofball" in a 4-4-2. The formation isn't the issue, it's the style.)

Bear in mind that Di Santo would probably only be able to play in a 4-4-2 system

Why would that be the case? Just owing to a lack of experience? He's 6'4" and I can't see Allardyce having a problem making him the target - if it's good enough for Christopher Samba...

Perhaps he realises that he needs to be more expansive. Perhaps he has been advised to...

I find that last statement very intriguing... Could you expand on that please?

As much as I hope to be proven wrong, I cannot see us ever playing anything like football under an Allardyce regime.

Are you suggesting that the evidence of two friendly games (one of which was a reserve match) should therefore outweigh ten years of proven anti-football?

(Incidentally - you can still play hideous "hoofball" in a 4-4-2. The formation isn't the issue, it's the style.)

Why would that be the case? Just owing to a lack of experience? He's 6'4" and I can't see Allardyce having a problem making him the target - if it's good enough for Christopher Samba...

I find that last statement very intriguing... Could you expand on that please?

As much as I hope to be proven wrong, I cannot see us ever playing anything like football under an Allardyce regime.

As the two pre-season friendlies are a way of preparing for the new season then it might just tell me - and anyone with an open mind - that the style will be to play with two up and attempt to play a bit.

Did you see either match or are you just blinded by prejudice?

Bolton played good football when they had the chance under Allardyce. They also played on the weaknesses of the opposition which is why they often exploited the long throw or the long ball.

I can remember them peeing all over Rovers once with terrific football at Ewood. I also recall them running rings round the blessed West Ham to stay up one season. And they were quite capable of beating up Arsenal regularly because they were big and brave.

Playing long ball football with players who cannot play it is unwatchable. That's what happened at times last season.

But the end justifies the means, You stayed up.

I would imagine there have been discussions about the style, the need to entertain a bit and fill the ground. Any club would do that, especially one that needs revenue like yours.

I gave Rovers plenty of stick for the way they played in their bad moments last season - Stoke WAS a disgrace, the first half against Spurs no better.

However I see encouraging signs at all levels right now. So, give it a chance and leave you bias to one side.

By the way I hear this Brazilian kid may be rather good.

My mate at Newcastle, where he spent some time on trial, says he is 'very decent.'

Going to have to take this one a bit more seriously...

Isn't Nascimento Pele's real name? (I know! I'm just saying).

By the way I hear this Brazilian kid may be rather good.

My mate at Newcastle, where he spent some time on trial, says he is 'very decent.'

Going to have to take this one a bit more seriously...

Must have missed this - another trialist?

Must have missed this - another trialist?

Sky picked it up earlier...Dionaton Teixeira [two of his dozen or so names]...teenage wonder boy...6ft3in...plays for Kosice in Slovakia.

No, don't ask, I have no idea what he was doing there.

But he has been over and may be a prospect.

Di Santo looks like a good deal, for both Chelsea and BRFC. They get to develope a potential talent within the EPL (as opposed to less competive leagues), without having to mess with their succesful line up. We get the services of the potential talent for a year and at a relatively low cost. Win-win.

On the other hand, it also tells us how Chelsea rates us. They would not be loaning us a good player if they felt that we were a threat to them. While I really appreciate the deal Chelsea is cutting with us (and if they want to throw in Deco as dreamt by another poster I would be ecstatic), I really hope we can sit Di Santo in the stands on Rover v. Chelsea days, and give Chelsea a good old fashion drubbing without Di Santo. Wounded pride and all of that.

imho, its a good sign. The domstic footballing situation in Brazil is a shambles despite the quality of players they pump out and put on the pitch, any kid with half a future and brain (and agent) gets the heck out of dodge early. Those who get out and survive being 1/2 a world away from home and being a professional footballer tend to be worth it.

If Newcastle rejected him he must be risky or not at a high enough level (at the time, mind you, he's still young now).

Or they thought he was too good for their defence. :lol:

To be fair, Newcastle didn't reject him...it just drifted by.

And that is from a member of Toon staff.

Sky picked it up earlier...Dionaton Teixeira [two of his dozen or so names]...teenage wonder boy...6ft3in...plays for Kosice in Slovakia.

But he has been over and may be a prospect.

Just seen the SSN link. How would a 17 year old Brazilian get a Work Permit?

You've made your point. And continue to do so.

Stoke away wasn't very good to say the least. I think we had one fit striker in Benni? (there's a contradiction by his own admission) Apologies that we didn't play like Arsenal in that particular match and indeed most of the others last season. Th results since Ince left (he'd tried to play lovely football remember) would have seen us in the top 10 if mirrored. Apologies if this is stating the obvious, it is regularly mentioned, but doesn't seem to register.

The good news is that with the considerable funds Big Sam has at his disposal now we can get a team together that will pass other teams to death, score goals and generally be easy on the eye.

According to SSN Newcastle have just had a £9m (NINE MILLION POUNDS!!) bid accepted for Martins. FFS. We're being left behind. Abject average players - who get you relegated - are going for £9m.

Still - come on Sam - get us playing Total Football on a shoestring please.

In the meantime spencey - give it a rest. By all means throw your toys out of the pram when we're under the cosh against City and have to knock it long, at home, to clear our lines and don't command the game from start to finish.

By the way, I've just googled "Teixeira" - it's Brazilian for "Big Boot".

Archived