BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Disappointing comments from Sam for me, sounds like he's just at Ewood for the 40k p.w./looking to land another post at the earliest possible opportunity.

To be honest I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise, and at least he's honest about it. His job is to stabilize the club, not become a Rovers legend. Hughes had that opportunity, but as BFS says the lure was too great.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disappointing comments from Sam for me, sounds like he's just at Ewood for the 40k p.w./looking to land another post at the earliest possible opportunity.

I'm not his greatest fan but if he sounds dissapointed he has every right imo. As soon as a Premier League club with proper owners and ambition need an experienced, effective manager there is little doubt Allardyce will be off and who could blame him?

I'm not sure what's disappointing about these comments. To me he is being honest and realistic. The big money bandwagon has long since moved on from Ewood Park and now we have returned to what we have been in the past - a small town club having to balance the books. There's nothing wrong with that. Sam is right. Finishing in the top ten is a major success for this club. In truth, just staying in this League is success for this club. I don't find that depressing in the least. Nor do I find it lacking in ambition. I still enjoyed watching the Rovers when we were bottom of the old Third Division in the 1970's and what we have today is light years ahead of that.

The days of Jack Walker were great - particularly for those of us who had seen the club fall from the First Division to the bottom of the Third Division - but they are over. As Sam has said, why beat yourself up over something you can't change? Just enjoy the fact that we are battling against the odds and at the moment are coming out on top!

Allardyce by Alan Nixon

That's the one, Nicko?

Sounds to me as though Allardyce is being a realist in both his professional and personal lives. For Rovers to finish in the top ten represents the only success left open to the club, we have no money, the PL is a joke, so we should just do our best in terms of league placement. There is nothing else to play for. As for not getting wound up over the situation, he's right and I'd give a £ to p there are plenty of men, (in particular), who think in much the same way but perhaps won't admit. I'm far more concerned about enjoying the rest of my life than I am about getting stressed out by work - nothing was ever as important as it used to appear to be, I simply didn't believe my wife when she would tell me!

Last night's LET says we have signed six players. I make that Kalinic, Nzoni, Di Santo, Jacobsen, van Heerden, plus one other - who have I missed?

Sounds to me as though Allardyce is being a realist in both his professional and personal lives. For Rovers to finish in the top ten represents the only success left open to the club, we have no money, the PL is a joke, so we should just do our best in terms of league placement. There is nothing else to play for. As for not getting wound up over the situation, he's right and I'd give a £ to p there are plenty of men, (in particular), who think in much the same way but perhaps won't admit. I'm far more concerned about enjoying the rest of my life than I am about getting stressed out by work - nothing was ever as important as it used to appear to be, I simply didn't believe my wife when she would tell me!

Last night's LET says we have signed six players. I make that Kalinic, Nzoni, Di Santo, Jacobsen, van Heerden, plus one other - who have I missed?

Givet

Sam could have gone to war in public over Salgado. He didn't. Instead he applied clever pressure on the chairman and 'did a deal' - let me have Slgado and that will be it...

Got to say I thought he handled the situation very well. He was fuming at first and then thought '**** it, what's the point?'

He is being realistic about where Rovers are.

Mind you, I agree that if another job came up he would be off...but if that means he tries his best to get you in the top-half it would be a fair trade.

I'm not sure what's disappointing about these comments. To me he is being honest and realistic. The big money bandwagon has long since moved on from Ewood Park and now we have returned to what we have been in the past - a small town club having to balance the books. There's nothing wrong with that. Sam is right. Finishing in the top ten is a major success for this club. In truth, just staying in this League is success for this club. I don't find that depressing in the least. Nor do I find it lacking in ambition. I still enjoyed watching the Rovers when we were bottom of the old Third Division in the 1970's and what we have today is light years ahead of that.

The days of Jack Walker were great - particularly for those of us who had seen the club fall from the First Division to the bottom of the Third Division - but they are over. As Sam has said, why beat yourself up over something you can't change? Just enjoy the fact that we are battling against the odds and at the moment are coming out on top!

Good stuff!

Mind you, I agree that if another job came up he would be off...but if that means he tries his best to get you in the top-half it would be a fair trade.

I'm sure he would be off and who could blame him?

In that scenario I think the club would soon realise what a mistake it was to not back him with the funds he had raised through selling RSC and Derbyshire.

Sam could have gone to war in public over Salgado. He didn't. Instead he applied clever pressure on the chairman and 'did a deal' - let me have Slgado and that will be it...

Got to say I thought he handled the situation very well. He was fuming at first and then thought '**** it, what's the point?'

He is being realistic about where Rovers are.

Gone to war in public? I think he should be grateful that Rovers gave him a job and are backing him with whatever resources are available. His time at Newcastle should've taught him it's better to at a well-run club than in a mess with more money.

I find it ridiculous that all managing in PL has come down to, is how much you have to spend. Maybe he should just **** off and see how many clubs wants his bloated self-image and brand of anti-football.

This wont change until we are either taken over or the purses are loosened a bit. All the good players and managers will come and go. We will be a stepping stone club like so many others. We will never seriously sustain a full season challenge for a Europa League place anymore either.

Gone to war in public? I think he should be grateful that Rovers gave him a job and are backing him with whatever resources are available. His time at Newcastle should've taught him it's better to at a well-run club than in a mess with more money.

I find it ridiculous that all managing in PL has come down to, is how much you have to spend. Maybe he should just **** off and see how many clubs wants his bloated self-image and brand of anti-football.

Sam has given Rovers value for money so far, you can't argue with that.

He - like many others - probably expected a bit more money than has been made available.

I'm more disapointed by Sam's lack of medical knowledge. Stomach ulcers are NOT caused by stress but by bacteria....we've known this for a fair few years now! No wonder some of our players struggle with injuries, he's probably making them eat the heart of a black jackass whilst standing on one foot on a full moon! I've also heard that his substitued the half time oranges for limes in a bid to combat scurvy.

Sam is playing the game, he said he'd hoped that even once the money was spent should a top player come along, he hoped the board would dig deep. Slagado has come along and he wants them to dig deep, who could blame him. He 's had to sell to fund transfers we have a positive transfer record, one of the few in our league. He's watched Hughes and Wince both fail to drag some blood out of the stone when both felt it was needed and he's trying a different approach to both of them in the hope of improving what we want the team.

If I was given the brief he was reduce the wage bill by 5Million and a negative 7 million fund, then I too would be trying to get the blood out of them. I reckon we should be pleased we've got a manager who kept us up and should move us forward. There's not many managers who would cope with those funds and keep us up Sam will, so lets not push him to the door right now.

The purse strings cannot be loosened unless we get taken over.

If Sam was given all our transfer revenues plus £10m as people initially thought he would be at the end of the season, interest payments would go unpaid. Another 15th place this season would see us in financial difficulties, and eventually we'd be Portsmouth.

Our wage bill was far too high last season. With the loss of players like Tugay, Roque and Mokoena I'm sure it's come down, but I bet it's still higher than JW would like. Managers need 18 warm bodies for a Premier League match - we have 26 "first team" players, so we're already small enough that a run of injuries leaves us desperately short of options. If reducing the wage bill is life or death, and maintaining the same size squad is also paramount, and there's very few players of decent quality come out of our youth system, then we'll have to continue signing younger lads like Nzonzi and mercenaries like Salgado.

Rovers cannot expect to have a run at the Europa League - it's going to be a huge bonus if we manage it, but will require an unusual alignment of the skies to pull off. Surprise packages in the Rovers team (who will be moving on or unsettled to the point of collapse the following summer), and poor performances by at least 4-5 teams with deeper squads and higher budgets than us.

My biggest worry now, after nicko's Sam piece in the Mirror, is that Sam reshapes our team in his image and then swans off to a team with deeper pockets, which apparently is not hard to find.

The purse strings cannot be loosened unless we get taken over.

If Sam was given all our transfer revenues plus £10m as people initially thought he would be at the end of the season, interest payments would go unpaid. Another 15th place this season would see us in financial difficulties, and eventually we'd be Portsmouth.

Our wage bill was far too high last season. With the loss of players like Tugay, Roque and Mokoena I'm sure it's come down, but I bet it's still higher than JW would like. Managers need 18 warm bodies for a Premier League match - we have 26 "first team" players, so we're already small enough that a run of injuries leaves us desperately short of options. If reducing the wage bill is life or death, and maintaining the same size squad is also paramount, and there's very few players of decent quality come out of our youth system, then we'll have to continue signing younger lads like Nzonzi and mercenaries like Salgado.

Rovers cannot expect to have a run at the Europa League - it's going to be a huge bonus if we manage it, but will require an unusual alignment of the skies to pull off. Surprise packages in the Rovers team (who will be moving on or unsettled to the point of collapse the following summer), and poor performances by at least 4-5 teams with deeper squads and higher budgets than us.

My biggest worry now, after nicko's Sam piece in the Mirror, is that Sam reshapes our team in his image and then swans off to a team with deeper pockets, which apparently is not hard to find.

As Allardyce has said Spurs threw £10 mil at survival when they were in the soft stuff last season and likewise Stoke and Hull invested heavilly to ensure their Premier League futures. When we were desperate for recruits our owners deemed it appropriate to spend £1 mil on Diouff when we were facing relegation.

The Walker Trust are playing fast and loose with the club's future and we are in imminent danger of the drop as long as they have control of Rovers.

All I can say is this. Sam will keep us up and hopefully now that we've supposedly appeased the B.A.N.K. all of nexts seasons increased TV & prize money will go to Sam to sign some quality for us. I can cope with one summer like this one & I understand why the club are doing it but next season as well and we'll be in serious trouble and not so understanding.

Can't see him moving this season, but as always in football you never know. hopefully we'll have some funds next year to back him with.

How much is the TV money this year does it go up again?

As Allardyce has said Spurs threw £10 mil at survival when they were in the soft stuff last season and likewise Stoke and Hull invested heavilly to ensure their Premier League futures. When we were desperate for recruits our owners deemed it appropriate to spend £1 mil on Diouff when we were facing relegation.

The Walker Trust are playing fast and loose with the club's future and we are in imminent danger of the drop as long as they have control of Rovers.

Spurs belong to Joe Lewis, who last time I looked was number 18 in the Sunday Times Rich List. They also have significantly higher revenues than us in terms of sponsorship and ticket sales, and I would feel comfortable guessing that their shirt sales are a lot higher than ours. Financially, Spurs are top six to eight, while we're mid table Championship.

All I can say is this. Sam will keep us up and hopefully now that we've supposedly appeased the B.A.N.K. all of nexts seasons increased TV & prize money will go to Sam to sign some quality for us. I can cope with one summer like this one & I understand why the club are doing it but next season as well and we'll be in serious trouble and not so understanding.

Good post. One season of getting the wage bill down is not necessarily detrimental as long as that appeases the finances in the future. We do have a bloated wage bill with so many players always injured and that will take care of itself as time goes on.

Next season he must be given a larger budget as we don't want to be losing another manager who is able to maintain our status and probably help us over achieve once again.

Archived