BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Spurs belong to Joe Lewis, who last time I looked was number 18 in the Sunday Times Rich List. They also have significantly higher revenues than us in terms of sponsorship and ticket sales, and I would feel comfortable guessing that their shirt sales are a lot higher than ours. Financially, Spurs are top six to eight, while we're mid table Championship.

Football is played on the field, not on paper. Spurs play their football on paper. They might have loads of money, but their play is average. Money is vital, but its what you do with that money that is important

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gone to war in public? I think he should be grateful that Rovers gave him a job and are backing him with whatever resources are available. His time at Newcastle should've taught him it's better to at a well-run club than in a mess with more money.

I find it ridiculous that all managing in PL has come down to, is how much you have to spend. Maybe he should just **** off and see how many clubs wants his bloated self-image and brand of anti-football.

And where would that leave us exactly? :blink:

Sam is playing the game, he said he'd hoped that even once the money was spent should a top player come along, he hoped the board would dig deep. Slagado has come along and he wants them to dig deep, who could blame him. He 's had to sell to fund transfers we have a positive transfer record, one of the few in our league. He's watched Hughes and Wince both fail to drag some blood out of the stone when both felt it was needed and he's trying a different approach to both of them in the hope of improving what we want the team.

If I was given the brief he was reduce the wage bill by 5Million and a negative 7 million fund, then I too would be trying to get the blood out of them. I reckon we should be pleased we've got a manager who kept us up and should move us forward. There's not many managers who would cope with those funds and keep us up Sam will, so lets not push him to the door right now.

Are you Sams agent???

I must say I agree with your post 100% - Sam really has done quite well here, NZonzi, Hoilett, Kalinic, Di Santo all quite young and I expect these lds to feature prominantly in the latter half of the season (assuming Di Santo stays) Van Heerden is youngish too, a young full back coming though all augers well for the future, something we havent had for many years, we should be happy we have got Sam as a manager, I for one believe he will keep us in the premiership this season, it wont be easy, but if we are here next year, then with a seasons experience, these young lads could kick on to the next level!!

Spurs belong to Joe Lewis, who last time I looked was number 18 in the Sunday Times Rich List. They also have significantly higher revenues than us in terms of sponsorship and ticket sales, and I would feel comfortable guessing that their shirt sales are a lot higher than ours. Financially, Spurs are top six to eight, while we're mid table Championship.

And Hull and Stoke?

Are you Sams agent???

I must say I agree with your post 100% - Sam really has done quite well here, NZonzi, Hoilett, Kalinic, Di Santo all quite young and I expect these lds to feature prominantly in the latter half of the season (assuming Di Santo stays) Van Heerden is youngish too, a young full back coming though all augers well for the future, something we havent had for many years, we should be happy we have got Sam as a manager, I for one believe he will keep us in the premiership this season, it wont be easy, but if we are here next year, then with a seasons experience, these young lads could kick on to the next level!!

lol, no just big fat sam. ;)

Everyone speaks highly of Di Santo so I'm hoping he gets a run out today. transition this year, stability and con-solidation is the key so a steady season. Hopefully then with more money coming in we can compete a little more in the market.

Sam's one of these if there's a will there's a way people and I can relate to that.

So then, lets find an answer to this one.

IF Sam is to be moving on to bigger and better clubs, which are those clubs ?

Arsenal,Manure,Chelsea or Liverpool ? NO

Villa, City or Everton ? NO

After that, there is not ONE other club in the Premiership that can be deemed BIGGER or BETTER than Rovers opportunity wise.

Sunderland might have nore money "available" and a bigger fan base but are they any more likely to give a better opportunity than Rovers ? NO they are not.

Spurs ? Clearly a bigger club than Rovers media wise but the reality is is that they would never go for a man like Sam.

Fulham ? Dont make me laugh.

Wigan/Wolves,Big club and the rest ? Come on, none are bigger than Rovers.

The foreign attraction ? I dont see setting la Ligue, Italy or Franc alight with his football knowledge.

So we bring in six players and suddenly we're expected to go down just because the board doesn't bring in Salgado? Compared to Allardyce's team last season we've only really got to replace Oojer, which we've done and the rest improve the squad. I don't see any other team that has improved massively so what's the worry.

We should be in decent shape this year and once the wage bill is in order we can start building a real transfer fund rather than having to "dig deep" and overspend each year.

And Hull and Stoke?

That one is dead easy to answer.

Club's in the Chamionship which have not been in the Premier League have wage bills of at most £10m per year. OK they might double that in their first season in the Prem but their turnover will rocket from about £15m in the lower level to around £40m in the Prem where the median wage bills are now something like £50m.

So their first year will be planned around getting relegated and making the most of two seasons' £15m parachute payments, if they survive, they have a bonus of another £40m turnover season they hadn't plnned for. So it is easy to see where £25m of transfers and wages pop up from.

Rovers by contrast are spending 80%+ of turn over on wages for a very well estblished Premer League squad which should deliver a very comfortable survival if not threaten to win Cups and might push for Europa League football. Neither Hull nor Stoke will realistically be anywhere near that level this season.

The Dingles have been pying off old debts and sorting out their directors' problems so have spent far less than Brum and Wolves who start from a much higher level by dint of recent Premier League status. If Owen Coyle achieves the iracle of keeping them up, they will undoubtedly outspend us next summer.

Rovers on the otherhand ought to be looking much more sustainable financially with both the wages and bank debt cut. However, we will literally be playing for our transfer budget through prize money- how welcome the extra £2m would have been had we beaten WBA on Tugay day and come two places further up the table.

So we bring in six players and suddenly we're expected to go down just because the board doesn't bring in Salgado? Compared to Allardyce's team last season we've only really got to replace Oojer, which we've done and the rest improve the squad. I don't see any other team that has improved massively so what's the worry.

We should be in decent shape this year and once the wage bill is in order we can start building a real transfer fund rather than having to "dig deep" and overspend each year.

We didn't replace Bentley with anything like similar quality. We have not replaced Derbyshire our only sellable forward (given Roberts/Bennni's age) as Di santo is only a loan. We have brought players in, whether we have actually strengthened only time will tell......

Don't blame Allardyce but the club hierarchy are really rolling the dice.

Have the Mods lost control?

Surely most of this can go into the 'JW Show me da money!' thread?

They all at Ewood. ;) so il be a Mod for today. Can we please keep on topic, or il have to issue some bans. :D

Is there a deadline as to when the Salgado deal has to be resolved?

so nicko?

has allardyce got his way with salgado? will he be our last signing?

If we get Salgado on board I would be happy until January when we may have to replace Di Santo. If we sell another player I would expect a new midfielder to join as well.

Judging from the 2008 accounts (which Stuwilkie kindly provided) and the amounts banked from transfers since June 2008 there can't be much of an overdraft left. The trustees really are running a tight ship and I can understand Sam's frustration.

I find it ridiculous that all managing in PL has come down to, is how much you have to spend. Maybe he should just **** off and see how many clubs wants his bloated self-image and brand of anti-football.

Completely agree, he comes off like a real d***head in that article.

Seems to be believing his own hype that he's some kind of messiah - but it was US who did HIM a favour. He'd been out of work for a year after making a complete arse of things at St James Park, no-one would touch him with a barge pole until we came along in utter desperation. The sooner he's off the better, another club can put up with his delusions of grandeur. :angry:

Seems to be believing his own hype that he's some kind of messiah - but it was US who did HIM a favour. He'd been out of work for a year after making a complete arse of things at St James Park, no-one would touch him with a barge pole until we came along in utter desperation. The sooner he's off the better, another club can put up with his delusions of grandeur. :angry:

Really this thread has gone off topic, should be moved to other threads.

But i had to respond to your comment about who did who a favour. As far as i'm concerned without Sam as our manager we would have been relegated, Ince put us in a shocking position and i thought we were down and out. Sam came in at a time when the squad was demoralised and out of form, he got them motivated again made us hard to beat and kept us up. Can't think of many other managers that could have done what Sam did.

As far as i'm concerned he did display messiah like qualities, going down could have seen the end of this club as we rely so heavily financially on being in the premier league, its the only thing that’s keeping us afloat.

Pathetic. Article reads very well to me, have to be a real d***head to read it the way you have. You're consistent I'll give you that.And very boring.

If Allardyce is such a saviour then why did no-one appoint him in the 11 months before we did?

Seems an awfully long time for such a Christ-like figure to be out of work. (Especially strange considering the staggering number of vacancies which arose during that period.)

When he left Bolton he was one of the most highly regarded managers in the English game. Newcastle badly damaged his reputation as, no doubt, did his association with bungs etc. He'll rebuild his rep at Rovers and move to a club with loftier ambitions soon enough.

His record at Bolton is evidence that he is an exceptional manager when building a team with limited funds, but will probably never be a manager at a top team because of his association with long-ball football.

If Allardyce is such a saviour then why did no-one appoint him in the 11 months before we did?

Seems an awfully long time for such a Christ-like figure to be out of work. (Especially strange considering the staggering number of vacancies which arose during that period.)

Who cares? Lucky for us eh? What 's the problem?

Archived