BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Aston Vanilla

CAPT KAYOS

You can't beat a come from behind, 10-man, late winner - makes the rest of the time all worthwhile.

It was good to see the new signings on display contibute well; Jackobsen is clearly a find.

Glad to see Sam made some changes, but not enough for my liking. If yesterday doesn't see the end of Pedersen I don't know what will; his hospital pass to Dunn out on the left when under no pressure at all just summed up this useless waste of space for me. We looked much better when Emerton came on and Diouf did more on the left flank than MGP has done for 3 years. I like the Emerton-Joackobsen combo as they both like to overlap so between them will get past the fullback a few times; this pulls a centre half out of position where Di Santo's skills should then really do some damage. Left flank between Diouf and Hoilett, hopefully Hoilett steps up. The Chim needs nothing like the amount of covering that Warnock did so we can afford a more attcking-minded left midfield.

At the end of the day though we have Richard Dunne to thank for the three points - 2 mistakes from the Blunderer.

I am sure Sam would have been targeting him for mistake-generation, hence the massive amount of head-tennis which constituted ourt main threat in the first half - John Beck must be smiling to himself. Personally, I would prefer forcing mistakes through skill and pace rather than lobbing it back into the mixer, but this time it worked.

N'Zonzi in the the first half was too prone just to give it to Grella - as he has been before - but looked much better when that wasn;t an option. I suspect he is operating under orders, but more of that 70-yarder to Emerton please.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a quick note for those of you who like stats ... average attendance is 25,756 which is 13th out of 20, 3,824 more than Bolton, 5,405 more than Burnley and 8,129 more than Wigan and just to show how well Rovers do to compete in this league, 49,318 less than Man Utd and 33,820 less than Arsenal.

*source : Statistics-Football365

Funny, I got the bus down from the railway station and helped a Villa fan with some info and all she did was moan about the ticket prices too..I did suggest than instead of moaning to a fan try writing to John Williams.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I bet she was moaning more on the way home! :lol:

Personally, I would prefer forcing mistakes through skill and pace rather than lobbing it back into the mixer, but this time it worked.

N'Zonzi in the the first half was too prone just to give it to Grella - as he has been before - but looked much better when that wasn;t an option. I suspect he is operating under orders, but more of that 70-yarder to Emerton please.

Crikey EiT make your mind up! B)

In truth and especially when EHD came over to the left there was a good mix of play. 'Hoofball' is a stupid term, and one mostly used by the unimaginative and less knowledgeable. A mixture of long balls and short balls are what is wanted as long as both are played with skill, imagination, vision and with a purpose.

Just re-watched the whole game again.

What a performance from the players, what utter grit and verve. Dunn was easily man of the match, as he worked tirelessly and was kicked around like a school yard football.

I can see why Chimbonda was awarded MOM, even though I do not agree, he cut off many an attack when Jacobson basically nullified the left attacking wing of Villa's attack. Jacobson is a very good player, either that or he is having the debut blinder for longer than normal.

Pedersen was poor but he tracked back a lot and did try, he needs to come off of corners though as Dunn's were far more effective.

Robinson did very well as did Samba. Nelsen for some reason scares me now, he played a good game, but something is missing. I no longer have confidence when he goes in for a tackle, although he may prove me wrong.

Diouf did his job well. He held up the ball looking for an out and made a nuisance of himself with ref, linesmen, players who fell over, etc.

Di Santo... How much do you wish he was our player instead of a loan? Finest peace of single striker hold up play I have seen in a long long time.

Grella did well but seems to have a bigger rash streak than Bert. Speaking of Bert good to see him back, what a pity that shot didn't go in.

We probably saw Salgado in his proper place yesterday, brought on to kill the game down.

Andrews.... A man that knows that people do not like him. I could almost read his mind when that ball came to him. "Whatever I do I am screwed." Such a shame.

We deserved the win and if we can beat Villa with 10 we can beat Arse with 11 and if we can beat the Arse we can beat Manure.

Lets go for it boys!!

Don't know if it has been mentioned - but either the Walker family are visting far more than they used to, or the club are using their seating for VIP visitors.

Anyone got any inside info ? Walkers starting to take more of an interest ? Just coincidence ? Potential buyers being wooed ?

Can anyone tell me if Friedel threw his gloves into the BBE after the game?

Di Santo threw his shirt into the BBE end as well as Robbo throwing his gloves in. Didn't see Big Brad throwing his gloves into the crowd though.

Can anyone tell me if Friedel threw his gloves into the BBE after the game?

No he didnt. Robbo did, and Di Santo threw his shirt in. Was good to see that Di Santo really seems to care, he was getting the Bburn End going and then threw his shirt in - good lad!

Don't know if it has been mentioned - but either the Walker family are visting far more than they used to, or the club are using their seating for VIP visitors.

Anyone got any inside info ? Walkers starting to take more of an interest ? Just coincidence ? Potential buyers being wooed ?

It's no big deal on a takeover front. Jack's son is currently over here from his home in the south of France. No doubt he was entertaining his friends.

Di Santo threw his shirt into the BBE end as well as Robbo throwing his gloves in. Didn't see Big Brad throwing his gloves into the crowd though.

No he didnt. Robbo did, and Di Santo threw his shirt in. Was good to see that Di Santo really seems to care, he was getting the Bburn End going and then threw his shirt in - good lad!

Thank you both, good work.

Like everyone else I was delighted with this result. To be honest, after the Everton result I feared the worse.

I could not go to the game even though I had a ticket (arrgh !!!! ). Instead I followed it on radio 5 live goal updates whilst listening to the main match whilst driving. This must be the most frustrating way of following a match, only beaten by looking at teletext updates.

I was pleased at 1 - 1 and hoped we could hang on for a draw. I was so dissapointed when Grella was sent off that i switched off the radio and listened to " Improve your French" for 10 minutes - well I was upset. I then thought I had better switch back to radio 5 to see if we could hang on. Nearly swerved through a farmers fence when we scored.

I must comment about MOTD. In a sumary there must always be an angle. The story of the match was never "Villa denied by dubious penalty". It was either " Plucky Blackburn beat Aston Villa" or "Villa loose to 10 man Blackburn". These were the stories run by the News of the world, Telegraph and Sunday Post. MOTD should be embarresed that there standards are so low

I can see why Chimbonda was awarded MOM, even though I do not agree, he cut off many an attack when Jacobson basically nullified the left attacking wing of Villa's attack. Jacobson is a very good player, either that or he is having the debut blinder for longer than normal.

Peter Jackson MoM only. They must have a big, ostentatious, horrible blingy watch in stock that they cannot sell and needs moving on before stocktake. ;)

Have had a bounce in my step since Saturday. It was always the case if the real Rovers turned up Villa fans looking at results were in for a surprise shock. I am not an Allardyce fan and my question is can Rovers repeat this performance. Can we add a bit more passing play? Whilst delighted we lumped the first and the second goals.

I have not seen a Villa fan on here since the result but Dunn was the architect of you're downfall. He played like he was the master amongst apprentices including The England triumviarate of Young Milner Agg...hor plus Heskey late on. Dunn is England class easily and Capello should be including him in the squad he is playing that well. I posted b4 the game that Dunn would destroy the Villa and he did.

I have long thought Villa are overated. Despite their results we always seem to match them or outplayed them. Their counter attacking style is Symptomatic of their lack of quality in midfield. Minus Laursen and Barry they are a long way off the top 6 team they think they are. We should be targeting Villa away as a potential win.

It all came sort of together because of team selection not tactics in my view. GrellA, Roberts, Diouf, Andrews and possibly MGP are squad players. Players who bring nothing except hard work which is not enough. NZonzi Emerton DiSanto bring that bit extra.

Robinson 7 - outstanding save and even caught a cross! Had little to do.

jacobson 7 - solid, even skinned warnock. Thank god Selbado was dropped. J keeps improving and posibley is the best we have had their for a long while.

Chimbonda 7 - better than warnock who had a poor game I thought. He sticks to his man tight and has a bucketload of good attributes.

Nelson 6 - coming back from injury

Samba 7 - usual all action Samba. At fault for the goal but played well otherwise.

MGP 4 - worked hard but passing and set pieces dreadful.

Diouf 4 - worked hArd but ususal, no skill can't pass, can't beat a man doesn't score. Pointless player.

NZonzi 7 - excellent. New David batty/ Patrick viera. Does everything right and unlike Grella, doesn't hide away.

Grella 6 - one of his better games if not best game until the red mist. Was told clearly to push up and be mode positive passing and he tried. Needs a lot of coaching to bring his game up to EPL standards.

Dunn 9 - Head and shoulders above every other player. Control skill vision and leadership. Villa had nothing to stop him but fouling.

Di Danto 8 - led the line like you should. Skill Strength effort positioning team player all up front on his own. Needs a partner.

Subs

Emerton 6 - automatic starter . No brainer, get rid of the useless Spit.

It is clear that our first 12 or 13 are a sttrong team. Are you listening Sam?

No Andrews Roberts Duouf Grella Selbado

Always pick DiSanto Emerton possibly hoillet for pace and Nzonzi plus possibly Kalinic and Reid.

FFS sort out the set pieces. MGP is pants.

Subs

Emerton 6 - automatic starter . No brainer,

I thought that comment was harsh but true. For a split second I thought you were improving graham. You should have used a full stop there and quit whilst you were ahead.

First thing all wingers need to do is to be able to put a good cross in. EHD can, Emo can't.

Archived