BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Aston Vanilla

CAPT KAYOS

Absoloutely delighted with this result. I didn't think that we had a hope when we went behind, but credit to the lads for digging in and coming up with a big, big 3 points.

Replace Nelsen with Givet and MGP with Hoilett and lets see if we can nick anything against the big boys.

Edit: Bobby - it'll be solely down to whether Dunny can stay fit. IF he could stay fit for the whole season then there is no reason why not. The lad certainly deserves it after all of the injuries that he's had over the years.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunn has been brilliant in the hole. Key point is if he stays fit...On this form, is there a better English player playing in attacking midfield? I wouldnt completely rule him out of the England reckoning, would you?

No chance of Dunn being called up for England.

First of all the two bits highlighted just how deluded you are. :o

:lol: coming from someone who can't put up a rationale arguement on any subject but has plenty to say about everything. :lol::lol:

A fair view really. Definitely agree with "You couldn't tell, though that Blackburn had a man less" and his point about ticket prices is a common complaint.

Big John flicked on, Gabby was clean through

Milner get the assist according to Premier League's Fantasy Football, he got a bonus too wtf?

Absoloutely delighted with this result. I didn't think that we had a hope when we went behind, but credit to the lads for digging in and coming up with a big, big 3 points.

Replace Nelsen with Givet and MGP with Hoilett and lets see if we can nick anything against the big boys.

I think that would be a good line-up.

Although we have to admit MGP offers a lot of defensive cover to Chimbonda. Thats something Hoillet wouldnt offer at all. Id switch Diouf to the left, and put either Hoillet down the right or even play Bert MKIII.

Many questions arose both before and during today's game:

Was Chimbonda really wearing gloves on a mild September afternoon?

Who's the better goalkeeper currently, Robinson or Big Brad?

Will Di Santo perform better in the lone striker role than Roberts?

But for me the most important question came when Aston Villa took the lead through Agbonlahor early on. Would we be able to bounce back from going a goal behind against a team who challenged for the top four last season? At the time I can tell you I wasn't so confident. We started very slowly and the defense looked rather shakey. I don't know whether my view on things was affected by the sense of doom and gloom in the atmosphere. Only the Villa fans could be heard around Ewood and the Rovers team struggled to get hold of the ball.

But then a direct, lofted ball by The Admiral took a number of high bounces before Dunne (that's the Villa one) knocked a nice header into the path of Samba who tucked it away like a natural goalscorer. We never looked back from that moment and started to look better going forward, however Villa still looked dangerous on the counter-attack at times.

The second half was mostly one-way traffic from the boys in blue and white. Okay it might not have been Barcelona style football but at times we were putting a few nices moves together, I recall a good inter-change between Dunn and Emerton at one point during the second half which was a brilliant piece of football. Then there was the inch perfect pass from N'Zonzi to pick out a bursting run forward from Emerton, you won't see many better passes than that this season.

Which makes me all the more angered at journalist particularly pointing to our supposed direct style of play in contrast to Villa supposedly passing the ball around like Brazil? Like this following quote from the Beeb's match report.

The contrast between Villa's pace and slick passing and Blackburn's more direct approach could hardly have been greater…"

The mention of 'Villa's pace and slick passing' I find incredibly amusing. They also play a very direct game style of play away from home, I don't recall much 'slick passing' from Villa. The main focal point of their attack is Carew who the loft balls up to at every opportunity. Yes they have pace with the likes of Milner, Agbonlahor and Ashley Young. Milner I thought had a decent game, he's always high energy and was definitely the best Villa player on the pitch and I can see why Mr.Capello has been using him in the England squad recently. As for the other two supposed England players, they were ineffective for the large point, which must act as a great compliment to Jacobson and Chimbonda. Jacobson, I thought was steady and reliable yet again he very rarely puts a foot wrong he's start to look like a superb freebie find from Big Sam. Chimbonda made one error in the first half but recovered well and was much improved in the second half.

Back to the second half and we started the half well and looked even better when Pedersen, who was awful with a capital A, was subbed for the lively Emerton. You felt that Rovers were on top now and if we could just create that one golden chance we could easily bag all three point here. Dunn was magnificent once again, showing the ability to dribble round players and pick out passes, he's really grown to this secondary striker role. Even though I'm not in favour of this formation I think it does give Dunny the freedom to express himself more and put in the sort of superb performances we've seen of late from him. The referee however on two occasions didn't seem to appreciate the fact that Dunn, being the honest player he is tries to stay on his feet at all times. This went against him twice when Rovers should have been awarded free-kicks in dangerous areas.

Then the Grella sending off. I don't remember what the first yellow card was for, but what can't be argued was that the second was a clear yellow so there can't be too many excuses really. Then again Ashley Young goes in with an extremely late tackle of Dunn which was as bad if not worse than the Grella tackle and the referee doesn't bother booking him! It's this sort of inconsistence that really angers the fans.

With twenty or so minutes left Big Sam obviously decided to shut up shop and brought on the much beloved Keith Andrews to replace Diouf. During this period we played really deep but soaked up every Villa attack with ease. The Introduction of Emile 'Jason Roberts like' Heskey on the left-wing was a rather baffling one, probably just goes to show how much we had them rattled especially from set-piece situations. It was an aerial ball that Di Santo earned the penalty from thanks to an acrobatic overhead kick that our second favourite Dunne kindly handball and the referee reluctantly pointed to the spot.

Then quite fitting for the occasion the best player on the pitch yet again, a certain David Dunn, stepped up and coolly slotted the penalty pass Big Brad.

Ewood erupts with noise in stark contrast to the ground after five minutes or so into the game. What a difference a fighting comeback can make.

To conclude I thought Robinson was superb and made a few key saves and looked confident from crosses. In contrast Friedel still stays on his line from crosses which is and was always is only major flaw, he's still a great keeper but I think bringing in Robinson for Friedel was one of Mr.Ince's better moments and I'm definately glad we've got the should-be England #1.

Finally, yes Di Santo based on today's performance is a better option as a lone striker than Roberts. The lad never stops running and showed a few good touches when he did get on the ball. Always difficult playing upfront on your own, don't get me wrong he doesn't look the complete player just yet but he's got all the right attributes to be one and regularly football will obviously improve him.

Milner get the assist according to Premier League's Fantasy Football, he got a bonus too wtf?

Noticed on the SSN match review online earlier that they gave MoM to Di Santo and 'goal of the game' to Agbonlahor(?!). Never seen a more scuffed shot.

Dunn was the MoM by a country mile. Wasn't convinced of his last 2 but today definitely. Maybe they have to take it in turns...

• Backroom

One of the most heartening things about today was there were 2 big moments were our heads could have dropped but they didn't.

First of all when I arrived 15 minutes into the game I genuinely didn't expect us to get back in it and then when Vincenzo whent off I thought our chance had gone.

However even with ten men we were the more likely, in that time I remember Friedel making a top save and then one scrambled off the line by Dunne I think it was.

Back from the game, still buzzing from an utterly vital 3 points. Given our up coming fixtures it was crucial we got three points today, it eases a lot of pressure from visits to the big teams.

Don't get me wrong, delighted with the three points, but I didn't think our performance was all that good until the sending off, which if anything helped rovers. First half I thought was pretty poor on our part. Villa looked vulnerable to our high balls, we looked vulnerable to their pace, and I thought we played much too narrow. We seemed to struggle for width and bar a great overhead kick, forcing a great save from Brad, and the goal, we didn't really create any chances - suprising given Villa looking vulnerable to the high ball in. I was disappointed with the goal we let in, stunningly sloppy, although I dare say that Villa think the same thing about their goal.

Second half was better, although I didn't think either team looked that good. Rovers perhaps edged it, but there were few clear cut chances. After the sending off - deserved in my opinion, it was definately a second booking - rovers really seemed to step it up. Villa were looking lacklustre prior to the sending off, after it rovers ensured that this remained the case, and actually started creating some better chances. Brad had to make a couple of good saves, and we seemed to stretch the play, something I thought was notably absent prior to the sending off. We had the momentum and forced a deserved penalty. After that Villa looked a bit livelier but credit to rovers we contained them well. The one good chance they had which was seen late - very late - by robbo was brilliantly saved.

Jury's still undecided about Sam's performances this season - wasn't too happy that we went with the 4-5-1, nor the first half performance/style and the absence of Emerton from the first 11 puzzled me. But the changes in the team all noticably improved the team. N'Zonzi was more effective then Andrews, Di Santo looked miles more comfortble in the lone striker role, and Jacobsen was solid it at right back. The subs worked well too - bringing on Emerton gave us some much needed width and pace whilst Andrews for Diouf ensured that we were a bit more solid defensively, vital after we went down to 10 men. All in all  Sam got most of the calls bang on, on this one.

Player raitings:

Robbo - 8 fantastic, not masses to do, but great save near the end and did everything he had to do well.

Lars - 8 utterly solid going forwards and back. Brilliant piece of business.

Nelsen - 7 coped decently against a tough forward line.

Samba - 8 coped decently against a tough forward line, and showed good reactions to get his goal.

Chimbonda - 7 not sure how he got motm. Very hot and cold, some great tackles/interceptions but some very sloppy passing

N'Zonzi - 7 not a great range of passing, but tidy and a good threat in the air. Improvement on Andrews, although either he or Grella needs to get forward more.

Grella - 5 struggled against the pace of the Villa team and booked because of it. Idiotic tackle for second yellow, especially seeing how card happy the ref was.

MGP - 5 poor distribution, not his best game.

Diouf - 7 busy but not all that effective, a bit more pace and he'd be top drawer.

Dunn - 8 busy creative and just what the team needs. Here's hoping he can stay fit for the whole season (or most of it).

Di Santo - 9 my motm always looked busy and a threat, even when unsupported. Tireless in his workrate, and caused Villa problems.

Overall I thought it was a mediocre game, perhaps even a tad boring, till the sending off. We perhaps edged it, but a draw would probably have been a fairer result. Having said that we really should have got more - at least 1 pt arguably 3 against City, and from what I heard Sunderland, so it seems to even itself out.

Rovers response and performance after has to be the biggest positive of the game. If we perform like that for longer periods we'll do well. If we play like the first half we won't. Still a nice dress rehersal result for the big claret and blue clash.

The contrast between Villa's pace and slick passing and Blackburn's more direct approach could hardly have been greater.

Its very simple.

Their way got them one goal and two against.

Our way got us 3 points, 2 goals, 1 against and a credit by winning the game after being down 1-0 and with 10 men.

he who fights hardest wins ;)

So being realistic I'd suggest if we lose this would prove Allardyce is no better at managing our club than Ince was and possibly worse.

So now whats your view?

I'm beginning to wonder if he can translate that experience into success at Rovers, to date, this season, there has been very little to suggest he can / will.

How did today suit you sir?

It wouldn't have been anywhere near as tough, if we had kept hold of our better players over the last two/three seasons Hughesy.

Tough? Easy mate ha ha!! I know what your saying, but had we not sold players, we would be in MEGA debt!

BIG SAM doubters where are you?!!? Tactically spot on. Quality players today - Jacobsen (sam signing), Di Santo (SS), Diouf (ss), Dunn (would of been ss at bolton), NZonzi (ss) :lol::lol:

BIG SAM doubters where are you?!!? Tactically spot on. Quality players today - Jacobsen (sam signing), Di Santo (SS), Diouf (ss), Dunn (would of been ss at bolton), NZonzi (ss) :lol::lol:

I'm here, lucky today, but long may it continue.

As for tactically spot on? are you sure :rock:

Yes Gaz - what didnt you like about it? Villa for all thier talent didnt cause us too many problems...

Ga'V' says - no you're right they didn't, I don't like the 4-5-1 at home, but it worked, and I'm enjoying the win.

Interesting. Game commentators on the Football First show said it was a penalty all day long, the commentators on the MOTD telecast weren't sure, and the MOTD experts after the game said it was never a penalty. Don't suppose I'll get a fair, unbiased opinion from my fellow Rovers here will I?

Personally, biased though I may be, I feel it was definitely a penalty. Hand above shoulder, and the ball was on track to go in the net.

How on earth did the MOTD team manage to think dunne's handball wasn't a penalty? They guy's hand was above his head, where it has no right to be. Talk about biased.

Hansen is such an asshat "dubious handball" di santos overhead was a shot on target blocked by the hand of a defender with his hands in the air NOT BY HIS SIDE now how is that not the clearest handball ever.

Would it have been handball if it was united in the 94th minute against stoke ? BLATANT.

Couldnt see jase roberts attempting an overhead like that :rolleyes:

Still on cloud nine about that win. Bish and all you other first half pratts, where are you?

yellow...

:D :D

Fair enough! You will see from my posting history that I support Sam but, before the game yesterday, I was disappointed with the team selection. I feel that without Benni we lack a goal threat up front and I think it's fair to stay that Hoillet deserves a run in the team ahead of MGP.

N'zonzi was my man of the match, along with Di Santo (who I didn't expect much from) and Dunn. All three of them were excellent and I think N'zonzi could be something really special for us. Lars has been an excellent signing but is an unfortunate reminder of what a mistake it was to sign Salgado.

I think we can go into the next few games with more confidence and should look to field the following team.

Robbo

Lars Samba Givet Chimbonda

Emerton N'zonzi

Hoillet Dunn Diouf

Di Santo

Subs: Brown, Jones, MGP, McCarthy, Kalinic, Andrews, Nelsen

How on earth did the MOTD team manage to think dunne's handball wasn't a penalty? They guy's hand was above his head, where it has no right to be. Talk about biased.

Completely agree. Had it been the other way around would they have been so damning?

Dunne's arm gave him an advantage by making his body bigger than it would have normally been and stopped an attempt on target.

Stick on pen for me and I've seen them given against us to many times.

Bring on the Dingles!

Hansen is such an asshat "dubious handball" di santos overhead was a shot on target blocked by the hand of a defender with his hands in the air NOT BY HIS SIDE now how is that not the clearest handball ever.

Couldnt see jase roberts attempting an overhead like that :rolleyes:

also those jokers on motd decided that Emerton's shot from jacobson's run and pull back wasn't worth seeing again.

they really do hold us in contempt.

Clattenberg got so much wrong against the Rovers today that the crowd rightly gave him a proper hard time. It was one of the poorest refereeing displays I've ever seen, and we've had some bad ones.

I actually think the penalty was "one of those" - sometimes given sometimes not, infuriating if it's given against you ... I think on this occasion the ref was so poor, he might actually have been influenced by the crowd.

Being influenced by the crowd, or giving us one decision because he'd failed to give a dozen others in our favour, makes his overall performance worse, but in the end the one decision he did give in our favour has made the crucial difference.

Pathetic - maybe they should of showed the several other penalty shouts we had earlier in the game too.

Archived