BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Aston Vanilla

CAPT KAYOS

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent performance. How that great ginger lump that was at West Ham and is now at Villa doesn't pick up more cards I don't know. Oh, sorry, I do - the ref wasn't giving them to Villa today. Didn't realise it was Clattenburg because he had a full head of hair - not the wispy, balding stuff of a season ago. That's either a weave or a syrup :lol:

Some great saves from Brad and one key one from Robbo at the end. Nzonzi - excellent. Grella getting better. Dunn is rolling back the years. Di Santo should mean Roberts isn't in the team again until he goes. Nelson looked off the pace at the start leading to a sloppy goal but got better as the match progressed. I'd give Junior a run in Mortens place as he was relatively anonymous in open play.

One team in that game were playing hit and hope and they weren't in blue and white.

Robinson: Great save near the end. 7/10

Jacobson: Excellent against the supposed threat of Young. Some good runs forward as well. 8.5/10

Chimbonda: Not his best game for us but did well nevertheless. 7/10

Samba: Good Finish. Defended well and plugged on when clearly injured. 8/10

Nelsen: Did better than I though against a good forward line. 7.5/10

Nzonzi: Very good. High hopes for this lad. Can tackle, pass, head, defend and attack. as his confidence grows he could become outstanding. 8.5/10

Grella: Did OK until unnecessary challenge got him sent off. 6.5/10

Pedersen. Hopeless. Usual dire set pieces and useless throw-ins. Some feeble tackles and didn't take any responsibility on the ball. 2/10

Diouf. Kept working and got a couple of decent crosses in but needs to do more. 6.5/10

Dunn: IF he keeps that up for a full season he deserves a medal. Got kicked all afternoon without protection from the ref and deserved to score the winner. Good pen. 9/10

Di Santo. Can play football, which puts him ahead of Roberts. Didn't let his head go down and put in a good shift. Needs games but did well enough today. 7.5/10

Emerton: Usual busy self. 7/10

Andrews: Usual sh!t self....actually apart from cocking up a good chance didn't do anything badly wrong. 5.5/10

Salgado: Wasn't trusted to play right-back for the last 5 minutes. 6/10

The Villa centre midfield pairing were poor today I thought, as were Young and Milner. If we had Dunne and Collins as Centre Halves we would definately go down. Comedy cameo from Heskey (does he really play for England or did I dream that).

Referee was accurately described by the Blackburn End.

If you want some real entertainment read the posts from the beginning of the game to the end. Quite amazing how we can go from being a championship team to being a team of real promise in 90 minutes. Glad folks didn't jump off the ledge,they would have missed the highlights tonight. :D

Massive, massive three points, much deserved in all honestly. I think we rode our luck in the first half but second half we were by far the better team. NZonzi didn't put a foot wrong, Nelsen went from one extreme to the other, big mistake for Villa's goal but then played his part in Samba's goal. Jacobsen played well, is it right that he hasn't committed a foul in 355 minutes of football? Probably more now because I don't think he committed a foul today. I'm so glad Chimbonda got man of the match, just to show we don't miss Warnock, did he even come out of his own half? Dunn and Di Santo also played a big part, Di Santo didn't stop running, it's always good to see the forward players closing the keeper down. Don't know why some people were singing for Benni McCarthy to come on, would McCarthy do that? You couldn't fault the work rate, with all the decisions that didn't go our way we didn't give up, kept our heads up and deserved the three points, didn't think I'd say this but full credit to the ref for awarding the penalty he could have quite easily waved it away like all the other decisions but he finally got it right, a good performance all round, disappointed about the goal we conceded but we showed the determination to come back and I can't fault that.

Just arrived back home in the metropolis of Leyland to settle down with a lager and to watch the Wigan egg chasers. Got a curry on the go, some bhajis waming up and a cool lager in my hand. The smile on my face is like the cat that got the mouse.

After 1 minute 38 seconds, I was desolate as I had just seen uglywhore scuff a pass which somehow evaded Robbo's grasp, bounced off the post and rolled into the net to give Villa a flying start. To make it worse just 20 seconds later MGP had the opportunity to put his favourite left foot through the ball and equalise, however he failed miserably and nearly hit the flag post it was that wide of the white sticks with the netting on them.

It was at this point I looked at how Rovers were set up. I hadnt realised that the bench didnt have Roberts warming it until the lad behind me pointed it out. Nelsen had replaced Givet, whilst Andrews had been replaced by NZonzi, Chimbonda donning glvoes in a balmy 16degs of East Lancs weather was on the left whilst new daddy Jacobsen returned to the right back slot. The bench contained both Benni and Kalinic whilst big frank was running the line up front. The midfield was further complemented by Diouf and Grella.

Despite the set back of an early goal, Rovers had at last an attacking look about them. he may be only a youngster but di Santo did more in the first 45 minutes than Roberts has done all season. He runs, he heads, he tracks back and he has the youthful I dont give a toss attitude about him. Villa didnt go the kill as Rovers stifled them out. We had to see the returning Brad break out hearts in the first half with a sound save from di Santo until Big Chris brought us level after a mistake and a hoof from Nelsen sent ball into the area and a voley nestled in the back of the net.

1-1 half time.

At this point I was looking at how Rovers had failed to go in the half time break not winning and how Nelsen had suddenly become Rovers achilles heel. He was at fault for the Villa goal, losing a header, a simple one at that, to Milner, the shortest player on the pitch. He was all at sea and couldnt cope with the pace of uglywhore or the height of Carew. I couldnt recall any save of note from Robbo and only the score from WHL made me smile.

BTW, the ref was having a stinker at this point, punishing every Rovers misdemeanour whilst letting the Villains off with everything.

As the teams came out for the second half, there were no apparent changes. Rovers seemed up for it even more. Maybe Sam had done some shouting at the team. There was good football on show, plenty of fight, plenty of effort but still Rovers were getting nothing from the ref. Villa pressed and pressed, Rovers stood up to them, despite the clearly obvious differences in skilled players.

After 65 minutes, Grella, who had had a tidy game, slid in and cost himself a second yellow that turned straight to red. Rovers down to 10 men, Heskey entered the frame as Villa went 4-3-3. Immediately, the pitch was rolled twice in 2 minutes as he went over (I thought the pitch had to be rolled at the end of the game and at each change of innings not mid game!).

It was definately advantage Villa with the extra man and witht he height and speed of the front players. Rovers stood up to the battle, led by Dunn and NZonzi, supported by Nelsen and Samba, Chimbonda and Jacobsen. Emerton entered the fray for MGP, Andrews came on for Diuof. Almost immediately, Rovers had the ball, an open goal with Brad stranded and deenders panicking like mad. Unfortunately for Rovers the ball fell to Andrews, who despite being shouted at by 20000 Rovers fans contrived simply not to bother looking up for vital 5 seconds before he entered the area, let loose and hit the bal straight at a defender, chance over.

We repelled each Villa attack but it only seemed a matter of time before the Villa winner came. However, in true Rovers fashion, we sent ina ball, di Santo spins and shoots with an overhead kick and its a penalty ! Could you believe it, A BLOODY PENALTY TO ROVERS and from THIS REFEREE !!!

After 2 minutes of messing around, Dunny steps up to slam the ball home in to the Blackburn End goal and send Brad the wrong way. 2-1 and 88 minutes on the clock. Samba, our lynchpin is replaced as he could no longer hobble around on one foot.

The Villa again piled forward as the lino put the big number 4 on the clock for extra time. Each Villa attack was repelled with ease it seemed as Rovers held out for a priceless 3 points.

Lets put this win into context, its massive, even at this early stage of the season and with Rovers with a game in hand albeit away at Fulham.

Today we saw a Rovers side play with effort, pride, skill and hard graft. Fans like WAGGY and SPENCEY take note. We played some good football today. Yes we had to mix it but today we mixed it right and that after neing down a goal after 2 minutes.

For those lamenting NZonzi, he is class. For someone so young to go up against a midfield of Young, Petrov, Milner and Delph and come out on top says how much he can achieve. I just hope that someone like Andrews can look at this kid and learn from his never say die attitude, its SAMBA LIKE.

di Santo led the line like a 30 yr old seasoned pro not a 21 yr old making his first series of appearances.

Dunny, maybe a potential crock but he ran and ran, the effort he put in was great and he deserved to score the winner.

Jacobsen and Chimbonda are two solid full backs, both had great games. Chimbonda and gloves even went into the back 4 for the last five minutes and he did admirably.

Dioufy has the skill and work ethic even if he has a mouth on legs. Grella deserved his red but he did do well.

Nelsen was awful in the first half and he had to step up to the mark in the second which thankfully he did.

You cannot fault Robbo at all.

Great to see Emerton put in a cameo, he did well and is a massive bonus to have on the right.

MGP = enigma. We need more input other than failed corners and long throw ins.

tactics = for me 4-4-1-1 doesnt work against teams that have pace and movement like Villa (hence this fantastic result). The formation leaves far too much for a player of Dunny's ilk to do because he simply cannot run box to box for 90 minutes. It will destroy teams of a lesser skill factor than Rovers but today we simply just have to enjoy the result.

its a great night to be a Rovers fan, dont miss it on Footie First and MOTD.

What a fantastic result, delighted!!!

Just the kind of decent performance we knew that we WERE capable of and against a Villa side which although seemed to lack Barry's influence, have had some good results recently.

A win at Arsenal next weekend and.............

Fantastic atmosphere again. Just shows that going a goal down after 2 mins isn't the end

PS Clittenberg was pants

Hope all the pathetic doom merchants, that fill this thread over the first 13 pages … with nothing but utter sh*+e Keep well away from celebrating this evening as one game obviously wont make a ounce of difference to the sad state they see our club in…

I shall head into Basel for a top night while I record MOTD beaming with pride

Well done lads!

• Backroom

Brilliant feeling.

What a game I thought everyone played well, a few notes:

Robbo - The lack of confidence many had him in has surely gone now, although Brad made some top saves he looked deicdely more dodgy on high balls than Robbo.

Jacobsen - Outstanding, I thought this guy was a squad man but he's been brilliant so far. A real attacking threat as well. My MOM today

NZonzi - real find this one, the boy could have it all

Diouf - thats how to silence critics, superb today, beat his man time and time again and delivered some great balls

Dunn - Keep it up Dunny, the best he's played in years, always wants to make something happen just needs to learn to pass earlier at times

Di Santo - Superb, chased every ball and could have won a penalty earlier. Shame we can't keep him

I was suprised Diouf came off, I would have liked Grella for Emo at half time as I don't think RW suits Brett still.

The ref was awful but if you give him a few big decisions to make, eventually he will give one.

can anything be read into the fact di santo walked off the pitch wearing no shirt? had he thrown it into the crowd? top top performance from him, surely the team today should be the starting lineup for next game minus that numpty grella and bring in junior

Grella played well until his stupidly rash challenge on Milner.

Twice I thought the game was over, twice I was wrong.

Well Done Rovers, well done Sam, well done everyone!

First 10 minutes or so Villa fans were in full voice while the rest of Blackburn (team and fans) slept. By the time Samba poked home everyone woke up and Fortress Ewood was in effect - could we please start a game with this atmosphere? It really makes a difference as when Grella went off and the crowd got going, we were never really at a disadvantage.

I am absolutely delighted with this result and the passion felt by the everyone a part of the club as the final whistle blew.

Can't remember the last time I felt tlike this after watching Rovers - probably a good few years!#

NB: Just tried to find out which matches are on MOTD tonight - click here to see if you can spot my problem...

Referee was accurately described by the Blackburn End.

I'd no idea that it was Clattenberg until after the match. He looks a right gayer. Has he come out of the closet this summer? Not only a bad ref but he seems well 'dodgy' and with a dodgy barnet too.

Id' a feeling that Di Santo would be our best option up top and today he showed it. Chelsea don't often buy 'pups' and they are adept at playing 1 up front with Lampard playing in support. He's obviously been studying Drogba's role. 3 weeks ago Collins had an easy game v Roberts but today both he and Dunne were made to look rather stationary.

Dunny had a great game, Jacobson never put a foot wrong, and not exaggerating here I thought N'Zonzi today had a look of Vierra about him! The only real disappointment for me was the form of MGP. I've defended Ped in the past but today he was absolutely dreadful.

Words cannot describe how much I hate Vince Grella right now. 4M, what a buy.

Just read through the thread, there's been some stupid comments during the game but this one is the winner.

Grella was excellent again today, 3rd home game in a row where he's been amongst the best performers. The challenge for the second yellow was rash, but the first yellow was typical of his performance today, he was having to clear up the mess left by others the best way he could. He saved a very likely goal and took a yellow for it.

He's been good so far this season on the whole. Very unfortunate to be sent off.

I'd no idea that it was Clattenberg until after the match. He looks a right gayer. Has he come out of the closet this summer? Not only a bad ref but he seems well 'dodgy' too.

It was Clattenberg?

It was clear he had spent some time getting ready and certainly looked the part....

Archived