BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Aston Vanilla

CAPT KAYOS

So here we are and the anticipated war with the sworn enemy in carrot & poo is on us … CUT!! sorry wrong match

So here we are and our customary annual defeat .. ahem encounter versus the Ice Cream makers of the Midlands – Aston Vanilla - sorry The Villains

Always liked Vanilla for some reason – despite their flavour IMO they should be classed as one of the 'Big' sides in the true fan understanding of it who attract excellent support with an excellent ground ( except the away end)

Though silverware has been barren for a while throughout the years they have had their successes (despite the turmoils behind the scenes) and have tended to have played good football with players, who without being stars, were decent players as such adorning their club shirt Withe , Mortimer, Cowans, Gray, McGrath, Barry to name but a few.

When I stepped up too the oche to volunteer as a replacement to do this, I still for some reason thought that we where away for this game so if any irregularities please accept my apologies but its pretty much last minute.

Even though there have been quite regular games between us, there are none that stick in my mind more than so than what is too follow mainly at Villa Park, basically for what you will read and because of 2 players – one from each team.

Every Season in following Rovers I've always hoped/dreamed Rovers will reach an FA Cup Final following a Semi Final at VP in front of the BBC Camera's and John Motson. For those not in the know Villa Park has been a traditional venue for staging Semi Finals (you can stuff your Semis Wimberley rip off FA !!) , and although the forthcoming game is a league game the memory lane trip takes us back to an encounter we had with them back in 1990 in the FA Cup .. and a couple of other infamous players one of theirs and one of ours .. theirs one who I always wondered how he made it as a footballer never mind being a professional and was no doubt the inspiration and predecessor in my mind for the modern day Crouch skyscrapers ( in fact he could well be responsible if you know what I mean!!) - ours just wondered how he ever made it as a footballer.

Here is theirs

Ermintrude.gif

Ian 'Ermintrude' Ormondroyd

One of those that always seemed like he scored against us whenever he played .. which proved to be the case on this occasion

and ours

donkey.jpg

Andy Kennedy

Our own very own dare we say pin up - somebody who was probably a better player than he showed, or could/should have been (maybe at another game .. “hey Miss Whittaker?”) and could well have been made a hero on the particular match below

For those that don't know him see here for another cubs fan take on him– I couldn't put it better myself

Andy Andy Andy Andy Kennedy!

06/01/90

The Scene – Ewood Park - FA Cup 3rd Round (PROPER)

1st Saturday in January and the eagerly anticipated game Rovers of the 2nd Division versus First Division Opponents – Ewood packed to the rafters - and manage to hold our illustrious opponents of the time to a 2 v 2 draw

10/01/90 (this one more in my memory than the first game)

The Scene – Villa Park – FA Cup 3rd Round Replay (PROPER)

Yes folks, in the distant past no messing about – replays where staged straight away no waiting for a week or so.

So work booked off – rendevouz set and driver named – 6 of us cramped into a Pre 90 VW Scirocco - confidence was high still - we where doing ok in the league and had given a good account of ourselves at home the previous Saturday -depart 12 noon – plenty of time to get down get a good place to park and have a good drink … but hey this is football – neither did we leave on 12 but didn't get out of Baxenden until gone past 4 o'clock. - still enough time … or at least we thought so. Anyway good progress was made and so much so, Cannock was earmarked for a pre match drink with the intention of getting back onto the M6 in good time , which we managed but then woah... car upon car & van of what appeared to be mostly Rovers fans but then everything came to a stop - the AV Floodlights began to show their face in the quickly arriving dark skies as we sat there giving the customary two fingered salutes to the opposition and the thumbs up to the travelling blue 'n white hoardes.

Anyway it seemed like an eternity getting from Aston Expressway (I think) but considering that time was ticking away all the more nearer to kick off, we decided not to come off at the normal turn off as it appearead deadlocked and where most of the traffic seemed to be heading, so we carried on a bit further down the express way and found what can only be described as waste ground which was basically some distance behind the Holte end near some high rise flats – (not sure they are still there now).

All jumping out the car the usual scroaty Kid appears

scroaty kids - 'Watch yer core mista'

my mate the driver - ' aye , ow much'

scroaty kids - '£50 quid!' (I swear this is true)

my mate the driver and rest of us - 'ow much! £50 quid'

my mate the driver – 'get lost , you'll get nowt now yer cheeky f**k**s'

scroaty kids – run off

rest of us - start a jog to the ground considering the time

Close to the ground a roar goes up – 'borrocks' (we are fluent in chinese) they've kicked off we thought, but luckily it was just the teams coming out. However there where still a lot of fans milling around, especially Rovers so the jog became more of a sprint – anway as we got to the away end turnstiles it was just bedlam (how many Rovers had actually turned up?) pushing and jostling with the ' f..... urry up! we're gonna miss the f....... kick off' in constant use

Just as we got into the ground the game kicked off - a quick sprint to the terrace and this is where my vision is both clear and very vague … Rovers where attacking towards the Holte end and I'm not sure whether it was a short corner or just normal passage of play but within the first 60 seconds a certain Mr Kennedy mentioned above, took control of the ball and drilled a screamer into the top corner of the the Villa goal from the far corner of the penalty box .. the away end went mental . 'who scored, who scored' was they cry “ its only that bloody donkey Kennedy “ came the response. Til this day I have yet to see a replay of the goal. Anyway the hero status that could have befallen him from the game failed to materialise (mainly because of his own future performances) but also because then Rovers preceded to do as we always did and fell apart to none other than the gangly skyscraper who procceded to bang in two 'spawny' goals to continue his assumed 'always scores' against us tag and contribute to a convincing 3 v1 win for them and yet again another FA Cup Dream dashed (even though we had no chance then anyway).Needless to say the journey back to the car turned into the quiet stroll and grumble expecting the worst for when we got back to the car. Anyway all the windows where still intact and the wheels where still there but there was the little going away present from the resident scroats by way of remains of what appeared to have been a tree stuffed into the exhaust pipe.

So there you have it a trip into the past for what seems like the last time we had a little enjoyment against another of our Ewood voodo teams … could we put it to bed this season or will the carrot and poo continue to haunt us? After the sticky lumps continued to produce the lacklustre at Goodison no doubt there will be changes abound and we can go into this game with another banana skin overcome at Forest with the confidence to try and get our season off to a start again

DID YOU KNOW?

Rovers have the honour (amongst some other teams) of inflicting some of Villa's biggest ever defeats.

8 v1 FA Cup 2nd March 1889 & 7 v 0 Football League 19th October 1889 – what we would do to have a scoreline reflecting these this Saturday.

In good old tradition I put the questions to a colleague of mine at work, Adam who proclaims his allegiance to the Vanillas - decent footballer in his own right if only he could last longer than 5 minutes without requesting a tank full of oxygen.... so over to you Adam and thanks for taking the time.

1. So, after last season's exploits will it be an under or over achieving season ie will you be any nearer breaking the 'usual suspects' in the top 4 given that there are new kids on the block (Citeh) and you have had a surprise early exit from Europe?

The exit from Europa League was the best thing that could have happened for us this season, our squad still isn't the size we need to compete effectively in four competitions, and this will most likely benefit us later on in the season. We're fortunate to be in a situation where we're not desperate for the extra revenue stream provided by second-tier European football. The aim will be 5th place, which will mean finishing above Arsenal and/or Man City, although 6th would be enough considering the quality of those teams.

2. And what do you reckon to Rovers prospects for this season?

Not too rosey is it!?! At least Samba isn't playing up front. Losing Rocky and Derbyshire (under-rated) will mean you'll struggle for goals, and MG Pederson needs to up his game if you're to survive.

3. Given the recent rumble tumble in training and as mentioned the early exit from Europe ( as well as last season's European white towel) - is MON still the man?

Absolutely - completely - there isn't a single Villan out there who doesn't have the utmost respect for Aston's Martin. My only doubt would be his slight lack of ambition in the transfer market, but we all know this isn't his style. He likes solid, pacy British players who he can communicate clearly with, and deals with any trouble-makers in the way Brian Clough did. I think he finds satisfaction from squeezing out every last ounce of potential and talent from a squad, rather than buying in Carlo Prima Donna from Europe for £30m.

4. Big Sam still has a long way to go to convince some at Ewood - What is the opposition fans opinion - do you go by the media stereotype that so many seem to adopt for him and his teams? Would you welcome him as your manager at Vanilla if it ever happened?

No. The idea of Big Sam at Villa genuinely scares me. Prozone, long-balls, scandals and bungs. Please feel free to keep him in the North.

5.Rovers v Vanilla - ever been to a game between the 2 , any stick in the mind?

I don't think so, although I probably should head up to Ewood seeing as I live in Manchester. For some reason I seem to vividly remember beating you 4-0 on your patch a few years ago. Happy days

6. For the first time in the the Premier Leage we are soo to play the Barstewards in carrot and poo, our near neighbours Bunleh, and the pre match tension is already at boiling point re ticketing allocation - none more so than with the authorites (rumours abound that a recent reserve game was cancelled due to feared trouble although denied) , who appear to have rung the ring of steel over the Ewood park game. Does the Brum derby generate the same sort of melodramatics given you have played each other more regular and recently?

Speaking as a proud owner of many a claret & blue shirt, I hope you stuff them for having the audacity to dare wear our kit and get away with it. I think the scale and intensity of the Birmingham rivalry is well documented, but little is known about the Battle of the Lancs. It will be an interesting game, and by interesting I mean it will probably be a low quality game where 22 bruisers kick each other, and the crowd will love it. A lot like the Birmingham derby, in fact.

7.You've had the run of the green on your last few visits to Ewood however Given the departure of Barry and him along with Agbon la ' whore have always proved too much for us - who has taken over the mantle of being the 'team driver' who Rovers should fear?

You should fear the whole team! Man for man in each position I would be a worried Rovers fan. Petrov is the new poor-man's Barry, but he will do a good job this season, mainly because we use the flanks so well. Will be interesting to see how Downing slots in when fit.

8. Stevie Warnock - liked by some but not by others at Ewood - good signing for your boys?

Strong, has some pace and plenty of premiership experience. A good well-rounded full-back, and British - a nailed-on MON signing. Those who criticised may notice they're missing a quality player.

9. So giving the differences in styles in our Thursday 5-a-side games who will be the masters in the game on Saturday - The Rovers Rhino's or the Vanilla Ice cream makers?

Counter-attacking flair > Kick-and-run prozoners

10. And your prediction for the score ….

Blackburn 1 - 3 Villa

Over to you folks - personally I think it'll be a draw 1 v 1

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not looking forward to this against a very good Villa side. Good to see Brad and Warney coming back to Ewood. I would settle for a draw before the game, but i think Villa will be to good for us and will end up beating us. I think we need to get back to basics and get back to 4-4-2 and go from there.

Team should be

Robbo

Lars Samba Nelson/Givet Chimp

Emerton Dunn Grella Diouf

Benni Kalinic

Great preview- I was at that Villa tie in 1990. Brings back memories, all their goals were in the second half if I remember correctly.

Anyway Villa have started off with a 100% victorious away record including a very impressive romp at Anfield.

We will have to be playing really well to get anything out of this and I just cannot see that happening unfortunately.

I can see Sam doing a West Ham again in this game unfortunately as Villa just love the counter-attack. Unlike against West Ham, 4-5-1 might make sense at home against this lot.

If Andrews and Grella play, we will be thoroughly outclassed. If they don't play Villa will still win but the scoreline could be tighter.

Great preview Capt Cayos!

Talking of F.A Cup trips to Villa Park, did anyone else go in I think 2004 where we won 4-1? Jansen opened the scoring in his first game back in ages with a sweet half volley past Postma. Angel equalized just before half time with a tap in and then 2 goals from Yorke and a brilliant header from Jansen destroyed them in the 2nd half and saw the majority of the home fans leave 20 minutes early, hearling abuse at their manager on their way out. Taylor was in charge of Villa at the time and his career there didn't last much longer.

After the game I was staying in Cannock at my future brother in laws and was walking down a side street after the basketball courts near the ground, every car had their windows put though but I can't remember no trees stuck up exhaust pipes!

Anyway, this Saturday will be a hard game against Villa. I hope the expert plays 4-4-2 and at least has a go because we are at home.

Friedel and Warnock are back and no guesses for who will get a better reception. Hopefully he will be picking the ball out of the net all afternoon though!

If it was at Villa Park i'd be more confident and think we could get a point or more, but because its at Ewood then i think it will be a loss. Villa are an away side, their style of play i.e counter attack and hoof the ball to Carew and Heskey to lay off the ball for the pacey Young and Agbonlawhore works better away than at home. Their tactics can be stifled and nullified to an extent but i don't feel confident that we have the players and tactics to do so.

4-0 Villa- 2 goals coming from poor defensive mistakes.

Talking of F.A Cup trips to Villa Park, did anyone else go in I think 2004 where we won 4-1? Jansen opened the scoring in his first game back in ages with a sweet half volley past Postma. Angel equalized just before half time with a tap in and then 2 goals from Yorke and a brilliant header from Jansen destroyed them in the 2nd half and saw the majority of the home fans leave 20 minutes early, hearling abuse at their manager on their way out. Taylor was in charge of Villa at the time and his career there didn't last much longer.

Yeah I was at that one too... Jansen went mad infront of the rovers fans when he got that first goal after his accident! What a legend, what a talent!

Rovers 2 - Villa 1.

Kalinic and McCarthy to both score.

For better or for worse, Salgado will start, as will Jones. Nelsen and Givet will be subs only, as Sam holds true to his word to "change the players" in light of their Saturday thrashing. Which I believe to be a sound motivational move. Make them sweat over their places.

Defensively we will be very strong, midfield will perform to acceptable standards due to Dunn and Diouf (because he is a contrary cuss and Saturday's 'incident' will only inspire him), and Kalinic and Benni will both be football gods this Saturday.

So sayeth my crystal ball. Caveat emptor- my predictions are usually lousy.

Yeah I was at that one too... Jansen went mad infront of the rovers fans when he got that first goal after his accident! What a legend, what a talent!

Me too, how could I nearly forget this match???!! What a great day this was.

Talking of stories, for that match, we drove down in my mates Dad's Merc (He was on holiday and was unaware...) we parked up and a little scrote asked us fo money to mind the car, one of the lads asked how much, he said 2 quid, my mate said, we've got a big rottweilller in the back and we started to walk off, until the liitle scrote responded by asking him if the dog could put fires out!!!! I

I s*it you not, he was not more then 8 years old!!!

He got his 2 quid, as I think I sensibly pointed out for the sake of 2 quid it would remove the risk of explaining to his Dad that his Merc had been stolen, left near Villa's ground and burnt out!

p.s. He was still next to the car when we got back to it, fair play to him :lol:

Anyway, don't predict results, I've followed us too long for that nonsense, just a note to the players:

PLEASE TURN UP BOYS and don't allow too big a space behind us when they have a couple of racing snakes? (FFS)

The line-up for this game is anyone's guess, personally (assuming Givet is out) I'd go with...

Robinson

Jacobsen Samba Nelsen Chimbonda

Emerton Dunn N'Zonzi Diouf

McCarthy Kalinic

Pretty much what i would pick, i think Emerton's energy and pace may be needed against Young. Another option is to drop Diouf and play Hoilett on the left wing.

Robinson

Emerton Dunn N'Zonzi Hoilett

McCarthy Kalinic

Anyone expecting to see Pedersen, Roberts and Andrews coming back in?

The line-up for this game is anyone's guess, personally (assuming Givet is out) I'd go with...

Robinson

Emerton Dunn N'Zonzi Diouf

McCarthy Kalinic

It is a real tough one this. I broadly agree with your selection, but I think Sam will try and get Hoilett in there somewhere as well. He has been one of our form players so needs to get a look in.

I would perhaps partner Dunn with Emerton in the middle, drop NZonzi, and play Hoilett on the right. And, as mad as it sounds, if Givet is out I think Sam may just start Jones. His praise of the lad was effusive and Nelsen looks poor atm. A bit radical but I could see it happening.

Anyway, to be honest I think we are going to get a hiding. The poor performance last week and the fans getting on the managers backs means we have to come out looking to attack. This will play into Villa's hands. Not confident at all.

The only outcome that will mean we don't have to endure pages of drivel, misery, doom and gloom from the anti- mob will be if we sweep them away 3-0 in a breathtaking demonstration of football purity and panache. And even then spencey will moan. Alas I fear we will have to wade through it all as we will huff, puff and scrape our way to a draw. :mellow:

The only outcome that will mean we don't have to endure pages of drivel, misery, doom and gloom from the anti- mob will be if we sweep them away 3-0 in a breathtaking demonstration of football purity and panache. And even then spencey will moan. . . .

I have every confidence we will look and play like a top 10 side this weekend. Have faith.

Rovers 2 - Villa 1.

Kalinic and McCarthy to both score.

For better or for worse, Salgado will start, as will Jones. Nelsen and Givet will be subs only, as Sam holds true to his word to "change the players" in light of their Saturday thrashing. Which I believe to be a sound motivational move. Make them sweat over their places.

Defensively we will be very strong, midfield will perform to acceptable standards due to Dunn and Diouf (because he is a contrary cuss and Saturday's 'incident' will only inspire him), and Kalinic and Benni will both be football gods this Saturday.

So sayeth my crystal ball. Caveat emptor- my predictions are usually lousy.

Salgado v Young mmmmmmm , that sound be interesting.

I cant justify anyone saying Kalinic should start. Having watch him play 90 mins last night, and 90 mins for the reserves last week, he has hardly impressed enough to start. Even if that means Roberts starts up top with Benni, he will cause a lot more problems than Kalinic

I can't see Salgado starting against Villa. Sam gave him some time against Nottingham to see if he could improve, but apparently he didn't really wow anyone, so if Jacobsen is back I expect him to start for sure.

Robinson

Diouf Grella Dunn Pedersen

Di Santo McCarthy

Since Di Santo and McCarthy are now back, I fully expect both to start, as you imagine they would be our first choice strikers currently. It's possible that Emerton or Reid will make the first 11, but I have no idea how ready either of them are. Hoilett is also a possibility, but I have a feeling Sam's not ready to choose him over Diouf or one of the other strikers.

Sam has got to try to win this one and it's definitely possible. If Sam can't get our away form right at the moment then he has to make sure that we don't get beat at home. I expect at least a draw from this game, even though we're not favourites.

:lol: i expect a spanking on saturday,can hardly remenber the last time we beat villa,but a couple of players might turn up for the team meeting late and get dropped!!depends on what team lardarse puts out as well,1 up front is no good ,if roberts and saldalgo are in the team i reckon it will be 0-3,if they are not the best i hope for is 0-0 :o

I think my favourite recent game at home to Villa was in 2002. Rovers, entrenched in a relegation battle after securing the League Cup in February bashed Villa 3-0 at home on an evening game in March. Match Report Here.

First goal was from Dunny, who absolutely battered one past Schmeichel in the Villa nets, followed by Duffer and Cole making it three.

I cannot believe that was 7 and a half years ago. :(

Actually there is a strong arugment for starting McCarthy with Hoilett up front. Hoilett has caused the opposition lots of problems so far, his pace will compliment Benni dropping off, and it will allow us to start Pedersen, Diouf, Dunn and Emerton in midfield. Judging by how ineffective Kalinic has been this could make sense.

Archived