BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Aston Vanilla

CAPT KAYOS

always so negative, dont bother going then, ill bet quite a few dont, or miss that late traffic

robbo- doing as well as any keeper in the prem at the mo

jackobsen- not a foot wrong

chimbonda- warnock not missed, if anything more composed

samba- playing well, a few inexperienced flaws as ever

nelsen- assuming givet is out, losing it a bit, still solid

hoilett- lost a bit of patience with mgp, more pace, can he play left? ive seen him forward and right

diouf- a lunatic, but our lunatic and spark and enthusiasm that is required

nzoni- better in that slot than grella or andrews

dunn- self explanatory

mccarthy- our best striker if he wants to be

di santo- deserves the chance that kalanic has not made the best of

subs/ nearly in

brown - goalie, not bunn though

kalanic- he deffo has something but is miles off the pace, we cant really afford 6m on that

mgp - improving a little still not what he was, lacks pace and confidence

emo- more or less fit, but never a winger and cant drop jackobsen

salgado- not worked out yet

andrews- proved his 'worth'

roberts- see above

reid- i see replacing nzoni long term providing he is back to fitness

ollson, our only defender sub

1-0 win

Blimey that's a very generous appraisal.

Agree with Robinson, Jacobsen comments but Samba for me cost us the games against both City and Sunderland and has been just about ok since. The rest (apart from Dunn) have been either crap or average!

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the last time we had pace in our team - well I can but it seems like a long time ago. Villa have pace enough for both teams, and most likely this will be our undoing. Added to which that useless lump Heskey always scores against us, I can't see anything other than a rovers defeat.

We cannot play roberts up front on his own. It hasn't really worked this season - bar against a poor wolves team - and against villa it'd leave us with no attacking presence whatsoever. I doubt even with an extra man in midfield we'd get the better of petrov and sidwell, so getting it forward quickly is a must. I'm not the world's biggest fan of long ball football, but keeping the back 4 deep, and playing it long to a few bodies up front (not roberts on his tod the ball would come straight back at us) is probably our best chance of not getting caught on the break.

Emerton must be in the team - he's one of the few players with pace. I'd be tempted to play him in central midfield where he can use his pace to help us out at both ends of the pitch. Diouf and Peds have to start - the key to Villa's success is their wingers, who may well need to be double teamed, and defensively both of these guys really chip in and could be the difference in stifling the villa threat down the flanks. Other than that the back 4 picks itself, I'd be tempted to go Emerton and Grella/Dunn in midfield. Up front is anybody's guess, after all none of the strikers are in form. I'd be tempted to go for benni as one of them though as regardless of his all round contribution, he's the best bet of sticking the ball in the back of the net - especially important as I doubt we'll get many chances. As we're playing it long, I think Di Santo would be a better bet then roberts as he's got to be better in the air.

So all in all I'd line up with:

Robbo

Jacobsen Samba Givet Chimbonda

Diouf Emerton Dunn/ Peds

Grella

Benni Di Santo

Even if Sam adopts my master plan strategy ;) I doubt it'll be enough. Even so I'll be optimistic and go for a 0-2 win to Villa.

Depends on who is getting dropped. If Andrews, Pedersen or Roberts starts then i won't be happy.

Hmm. Sam has siad: "Unfortunately that wasn't the case last Sunday, but we will make perhaps one or two changes, we'll take assessment over the next few days."

Not sure it sounds like many will be dropped. Salgado will have to be, I would like Andrews and Roberts to be, and I think we need to get Hoilett in there as he has looked dangerous.

Not sure why so many have it in for Pedersen. He has been okay.

I have absolutely no idea who we are going to play in midfield or up front. The only definites are Diouf and Dunn, the other four positions are a mystery. Any of Grella, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Emerton, Kalinic, McCarthy, Roberts, Di Santo, Hoilett, Andrews and Reid (12 players!?) could play in them.

Whatever Sam says it is a bit of a headache to pick the side when no one has really made a case for inclusion.

I hope Jones doesn't play as, however well he played on Tuesday, it's too big a step up to the Premiership without his having more experience.

As for the game, the Villa play in claret and blue-indeed they are the originators of that colour strip.

In the Premiership we don't beat teams that play in that strip and we often lose to them.

On that basis, a draw at best, but more likely a defeat.

I really hope we get something from this game, but I am a bit worried. Villa have won their last six games in all competitions and have not conceeded in their last four. I'm concerned with the way we are defending from set pieces as Villa thrive off those and the lack of pace in our side may also be our downfall. I also believe we may struggle to break Villa down, as they like to sit very deep and put a lot of players behind the ball.

My team:

Robinson

Jacobsen - Samba - Nelsen - Chimbonda

Hoilett - N'Zonzi - Dunn - Pedersen

McCarthy - Roberts

Prediction:

Rovers 0-2 Villa

COME ON ROVERS! PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG.

We need a win, i dont care about past results and form we have to try and win this game , We have some horrible fixtures coming up and if sam starts with 1 up front again god help us.

If this is another game that appears last on motd there are going to be some disgruntled fans including me. Our lack of goalscoring warrants 2 up front, we offer no more threat going forward or defensive guile with 5 in midfiled than 4 so lets go for the win with di santo and benni up front and dunny slightly pushing on from mid.

I was at that match and it was one of my favourite away games even though we lost.

Fantastic game, and I believe it was David Platt's debut for us.

Football. It really was much more fun in those days.

Cracking game that, massive games for us in them days when villa rolled in to town, a traditional big club without the hangers on of the big 4 and agree with other poster that they are the best team outside the 'four' to come to ewood in the past 2 seasons. Big task tomorrow, just hope they have an off day!

Very tough game tomorrow. People need to be realistic following this game - this is probably 1 of the top 3 or 4 home games that are very difficult to win - as Villa away from home are very dangerous with their pacey attack.

A draw would be very good, a win would be fantastic! Just hope we play well......

Very tough game tomorrow. People need to be realistic following this game - this is probably 1 of the top 3 or 4 home games that are very difficult to win - as Villa away from home are very dangerous with their pacey attack.

Realistic following this game?!

How about being realistic before it. WE NEED 3 POINTS. NOT EXCUSES.

A draw would be very good, a win would be fantastic! Just hope we play well......

One of the top three or four? So is this before or after Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Liverpool and I suppose now City? Does this effectively make 6 teams we don't bother to try to beat? 18 points we just chuck away?

What does being realistic mean? Last season after six games Ince, arguably the worst manager in Rovers history had accumulated 10 points, if we fail to win today Allardyce will at best have 5 points from six games, 50% less. We were 7th after six games last year, today we could be around 17th / 18th.

So being realistic I'd suggest if we lose this would prove Allardyce is no better at managing our club than Ince was and possibly worse.

The only result which is realistic and acceptable is a win and, just to be a bit greedy, to play some football with two strikers up front? ......... though I'll settle for 90 minutes of boredom if it means we can nick a 1-0

Archived