BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley Home Game

In all fairness, despite our rivalry, Burnley have done well this year, lead by an astute and clever manager who has instilled belief in the squad, he is not muppet and I feel he has a bit more left to offer!!

No, I dont like it, but credit to the guys, they have done well and deserve some respect, however, I do think Mr Kilby is going to be broughtdownto earthif he thinks he can attract players of premiership standards at less than £10,000 per week, it just wont happen and the squad will have to double to have a chance.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some of the 'Barmy Army' will be unaware of anything which happens off the MoTD and Sky Sports radar. So following 1864's bitter little review of the super clarets XI, here's my introduction to the Premier League new boys.

Brian Jensen. The Beast. Old, yup. Fat, yup. Legend, yup. The longest serving and most improved player at the club.

Cristian Kalvenes. The slowest professional footballer of all time. Heart of a lion with a happy knack of getting himself out of trouble.

Steven Caldwell. The skipper. Plays exactly the same, every game. Reliable, solid, dependable, honest. You know the type.

Clarke Carlisle. An inspiration to all mankind. Beat his demons and got better and better as the games got bigger. A rich man's Rio Ferdinand.

Michael Duff. Signed for 10 shillings from Cheltenham. Lost his place twice to loanees, never lets you down. Good in the air.

Zinedine McCann. Will be worth £8-9m next summer, guaranteed. Quality on the ball, great engine, a Premier League player.

Graham Alexander. Methuselah's dad. Deserves this more than anyone.

Robbie Blake. England's Messi.

Wade Elliot. Signed from Bournemouth as a winger. Spends 3 hours after every game untying the ball from his boots. The complete footballer.

Martin Paterson. Looks like a convict, as irritating as an angry wasp, fast, direct and confident.

Steven Thompson. Under-rated. Genuine target man, slower than a tree, good feet and ruffled self-proclaimed hardman Morgan's feathers.

Sub. Chrissy Eagles. Alice band, girly hair, gold boots and white Range Rover. Brought an early taste of the Premier League to Burnley.

Boss. Owen Coyle. If he left tomorrow, I'd still love him forever.

Thanks Sam for that.

Could have saved a lot of typing if you'd simply written relegation fodder.

Aye.

Although last summer, the experts, the bookies and no doubt yourself all had us down as 'relegation fodder' for the Championship.

I guess we're just a better class of relegation fodder now.

I know some of the 'Barmy Army' will be unaware of anything which happens off the MoTD and Sky Sports radar. So following 1864's bitter little review of the super clarets XI, here's my introduction to the Premier League new boys.

Brian Jensen. The Beast. Old, yup. Fat, yup. Legend, yup. The longest serving and most improved player at the club.

Cristian Kalvenes. The slowest professional footballer of all time. Heart of a lion with a happy knack of getting himself out of trouble.

Steven Caldwell. The skipper. Plays exactly the same, every game. Reliable, solid, dependable, honest. You know the type.

Clarke Carlisle. An inspiration to all mankind. Beat his demons and got better and better as the games got bigger. A rich man's Rio Ferdinand.

Michael Duff. Signed for 10 shillings from Cheltenham. Lost his place twice to loanees, never lets you down. Good in the air.

Zinedine McCann. Will be worth £8-9m next summer, guaranteed. Quality on the ball, great engine, a Premier League player.

Graham Alexander. Methuselah's dad. Deserves this more than anyone.

Robbie Blake. England's Messi.

Wade Elliot. Signed from Bournemouth as a winger. Spends 3 hours after every game untying the ball from his boots. The complete footballer.

Martin Paterson. Looks like a convict, as irritating as an angry wasp, fast, direct and confident.

Steven Thompson. Under-rated. Genuine target man, slower than a tree, good feet and ruffled self-proclaimed hardman Morgan's feathers.

Sub. Chrissy Eagles. Alice band, girly hair, gold boots and white Range Rover. Brought an early taste of the Premier League to Burnley.

Boss. Owen Coyle. If he left tomorrow, I'd still love him forever.

OK Rovers version, note the difference in class...

Paul Robinson: England International keeper, played in World Cups, Champions league and over 200 PL games.

Stephen Warnock: Player of the year, eyed by many PL clubs, wears his heart on his sleeve when he plays.

Chris Samba: 6ft 5, a giant of a man and one of the best young defenders in the PL, will play for a top 4 club in a few years time.

Ryan Nelsen: Club captain, inspirational on the field, Rovers turned down a £6 million bid from Portsmouth last year.

Brett Emerton: a hardworking, tough tackling right back/right winger, a firm fan favourite.

El Hadj Diouf: Liverpool paid £10 million for him, we paid £1.7 million and what a bargain, quality on the ball and his passion is infectious.

Vince Grella: Played most of his career in Serie a, good on the ball with an ability to break up play.

David Dunn: A Rovers fan, skilful, hardworking and hopefully injury free next year.

Gamst: Fans are generally split on him, me? I think he is a tireless worker who brings a lot to the team, you may remember him for a goal against...umm Burnley.

Cruz: £18 million worth of talent, a genuine top class performer.

Benni M: One of the best finishers in the league with a 1 in 2 record.

Boss: Big Sam, inspirational manager who has taken Bolton to top 7 finishes on a number of occasions, took Rovers over 2nd bottom and transformed the team.

I am sure others could give a far better account of our players but an essential point here is that players like:

1. Zurab

2. Roberts

3. Reid

4. Andrews

5. Treacy

6. Aaron M (released)

7. Tugay (released)

8. Ooijer (released)

would walk into the Burnley first 11 and improve it, there really is no comparison between the clubs in staffing.

Imy, with the exception of Treacy on your list, all of them are full internationals- over 600 caps between them.

Cruz of course is centre forward of the country walking away with the South American World Cup qualifiers.

I am sure others could give a far better account of our players but an essential point here is that players like:

1. Zurab

2. Roberts

3. Reid

4. Andrews

5. Treacy

6. Aaron M (released)

7. Tugay (released)

8. Ooijer (released)

would walk into the Burnley first 11 and improve it, there really is no comparison between the clubs in staffing.

You obviously haven't seen much of either club to claim that...

Zurab better than who? Roberts - when fit - better than who? Reid - when fit, OK don't go there? Andrews - where would he play in a football team? Treacy - better than Blakie? Mokoena - which ball boy would he replace? Tugay - could cover for Alexander. Ooijer - maybe.

Aye.

Although last summer, the experts, the bookies and no doubt yourself all had us down as 'relegation fodder' for the Championship.

Well Sam all I can say at present is a genuinely felt congratulations to Burnley FC and their very good manager OC. I also genuinely hope that Burnley can hang on to OC for at least a full season, but then only time will tell.

Also it is well worth mentioning that I am impressed and very pleased at the way you and Longsiders and Yorky Claret have all kept your cool in the face of some (IMO) rather overdone banter on here. Good on yer lads! it ALMOST (but not quite) makes me wish that when Burnley come to Ewood next, they give our lot a lesson in how to play football and actually go away with a point.....that will teach a few people on here to have a little more respect and some manners. ;)

You obviously haven't seen much of either club to claim that...

Zurab better than who? Roberts - when fit - better than who? Reid - when fit, OK don't go there? Andrews - where would he play in a football team? Treacy - better than Blakie? Mokoena - which ball boy would he replace? Tugay - could cover for Alexander. Ooijer - maybe.

Nicko,

I will concede Treacy, Mokoena, Andrews etc

As for Ooijer, Zurab, Tugay and a fit Reid would be first team regulars in the present Burnley squad.

Remember, even Blake didnt cut it in the premiership, Caldwell struggled, Alexander and Carlisle never played there!!

Indeed, they have performed well in the Championship but the premiership week in week out is a different matter.

Tugay even today is different class to Alexander, who I will be amazed if he holds a midfield in the premiership.

In my honest opinion only McCann, Elliott, Eagles and possibly Duff will cut it in the premiership, maybe Patterson could come, as for the rest, sorry I really cant see them coping!!

Rodreguez could be one for the future but remember, Derbyshire, under 21 international, has found it difficult in the prem.

No need.

Stats for last season.

Tugay...cracking player but 38...played in about half of the games...1 goal.

Alexander...cracking player but 37...played in every game...11 goals.

Doesn't make him a better player. Just played in a much lower grade of football.

Nicko,

I will concede Treacy, Mokoena, Andrews etc

As for Ooijer, Zurab, Tugay and a fit Reid would be first team regulars in the present Burnley squad.

Remember, even Blake didnt cut it in the premiership, Caldwell struggled, Alexander and Carlisle never played there!!

Indeed, they have performed well in the Championship but the premiership week in week out is a different matter.

Tugay even today is different class to Alexander, who I will be amazed if he holds a midfield in the premiership.

In my honest opinion only McCann, Elliott, Eagles and possibly Duff will cut it in the premiership, maybe Patterson could come, as for the rest, sorry I really cant see them coping!!

Rodreguez could be one for the future but remember, Derbyshire, under 21 international, has found it difficult in the prem.

Rovers fringe men would not get in the Burnley side.

Not one.

End of.

No need.

Stats for last season.

Tugay...cracking player but 38...played in about half of the games...1 goal. IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE

Alexander...cracking player but 37...played in every game...11 goals. IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP - 10 OF THE 11 WERE PENALTIES!

• Backroom

Maybe most of those wouldn't get into the burnley team but I think Roberts would personally. And come on Tugay is still twice the player Alexander is.

One player I do have massive respect for is Clarke Carisle, seems a top bloke to be honest and has done well to get where he is from where he was.

Alexander could not have been bettered by anyone in his role in the Burnley side this season. The heart-beat, the leader. Amazing legs and brain.

Found a position and made it his own.

You could not have put Tugay in that role and expect him to do it better...and certainly NOT for 46 games last season.

Tugay was a cracking player, but we all get old.

Aye.

That'd make a superb sig sam. :rover:

Well Sam all I can say at present is a genuinely felt congratulations to Burnley FC and their very good manager OC. I also genuinely hope that Burnley can hang on to OC for at least a full season, but then only time will tell.

Also it is well worth mentioning that I am impressed and very pleased at the way you and Longsiders and Yorky Claret have all kept your cool in the face of some (IMO) rather overdone banter on here. Good on yer lads! it ALMOST (but not quite) makes me wish that when Burnley come to Ewood next, they give our lot a lesson in how to play football and actually go away with a point.....that will teach a few people on here to have a little more respect and some manners. ;)

I've been banned for much less.

Archived