BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley Home Game

As things stand, I'd say Burnley are at the same level as Hull.

and like Hull, and every other promoted side, they need to get plenty of points on the board before Xmas. Otherwise the result doesn't bear to think about [or otherwise].

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Were as Burnley are a solid, decent team and have shown that all season long beating a number of decent Premiership teams.

Next season, yes, it will be a different matter, i hope.

Big, big improvement needed by Rovers, no doubt, but Big Sam now has a full pre season to sort things.

However Burnley will be under bigger pressure to improve the squad. There's no way they can go a Prem season with such a small squad. Bringing in lots of new players with increased expectation will change the dressing room dynamic. As someone else has said, being at the big table and HAVING money to spend brings its own problems.

Rovers dont have as far to go to even be, a mid table team, never mind a top 5.

But there is deffinately a buzz growing for next season.

Big, big improvement needed by Rovers, no doubt, but Big Sam now has a full pre season to sort things.

However Burnley will be under bigger pressure to improve the squad. There's no way they can go a Prem season with such a small squad. Bringing in lots of new players with increased expectation will change the dressing room dynamic. As someone else has said, being at the big table and HAVING money to spend brings its own problems.

Rovers dont have as far to go to even be, a mid table team, never mind a top 5.

But there is deffinately a buzz growing for next season.

I think that Burnley should (and will) resist heavy investment in new players and big contracts but rather trust, in the main, the men that got them there. That way if they go back down they will have plenty of cash for a new and probably better attempt at the Premier League the following season.

What they must not do is to blow the money and still get relegated. I think the Burnley board have struggled long enough with no cash not to be so foolish.

There's nobody on their side that would get on our bench under normal circunstances ( i.e. not having to play a centre half up front because of injuries.) If you lumped all the promoted sides together you wouldn't have a team to get out of the bottom six. I've watched the play-offs and I've seen some very mediocre football. Even yesterday how many times was the ball just lumped aimlessly into the corners without a player in sight ? Stop worrying, the gulf is still enormous.

Morning ladies.

I can't even bring myself to do squabbles and bitterness this morning. Although I will do by lunchtime.

Just busy dancing on cloud nine, little old Burnley back in the top flight. Unbe - f**king - lievable. What a day. Can't wait for the North West super league next season.

Gav, Abbey and the other one... I love you all.

The Dingles are Back.

Good afternoon Sam....and by the way I am not a lady.

Anyway first things first; I would like to offer my heartiest congratulations to Burnley FC. It is indeed good to have you back in the top league along with Rovers. Your team have done you proud this season (just wish I could say the same about mine).

So I guess we all now move into that delicious state of anticipation where we can hardly wait until our two teams clash once again on the field of battle. God willing, I will most certainly be there for it whenever and wherever it happens. I must say I prefer the traditional battle times of Boxing Day and Easter for our trials of strength, and the bragging rights for a few more months. But any time or place will do for me, and I am sure that most of us on either side would say the same...just bring it on, and let battle commence!

Also one more area where I differ from my colleagues on this site.......I actually hope Burnley are not relegated at the end of the coming season. I don't want your lot going down again so quickly and depriving the Rovers of 6 easy points per season, especially after waiting all these years for the opportunity to arise again. No, No,...as long as your lot finish each season below us, I will be quite happy to have the opportunity to give them a good spanking at least twice a year, and with a cup knockout as a bonus as well that would be even better.

So I, along with all the other Rovers fans, look forward to our forthcoming engagement on the field of battle.

• Backroom

As I said yesterday they deserved it not only on the day but over the course of a lon well fought season, they do polay some nice football BUT that doesn't mean that they will make a good Premiership team.

By 8,000 country miles their best asset is Mr Coyle but now the real work starts for him, he has to be ruthless and take action on the fact that there is very little Premiership quality on show in the squad, although Hull and stoke have managed to stay up with similar teams so it's doable.

If they lost Coyle things would change.

I said last season - and got howled at - that the return of your chums would put a real buzz around the whole area.

Like it or not they will sell out their ground for most games and take shedloads away. There are now NINE Premier League clubs in the old Granada TV area.

It means your club and fans will respond so that they are not seen as being rivals and competitors. More of your people may turn up.

Tell me what's wrong with that?

And, by the way, the people who run it are good football people...at all levels. There are a lot worse who could be in the Premier League than them...and few better.

Fair points Nicko but I feel the point in old may be a little unfair, I think the superb offer by the club had already ensured the ticket sales would be up next season and higher gates doesn't neccessarily come down to us being in the same league as Burnley.

What I will say is there may be more of a buzz around Ewood at times.

I think that Burnley should (and will) resist heavy investment in new players and big contracts but rather trust, in the main, the men that got them there. That way if they go back down they will have plenty of cash for a new and probably better attempt at the Premier League the following season.

What they must not do is to blow the money and still get relegated. I think the Burnley board have struggled long enough with no cash not to be so foolish.

No one's daft enough to do a "Bradford City" these days, or are they....... :wacko: ?????

Reality check time.

Beast will need to be replaced simply nowhere near good enough as a Premier Goalkeeper.

Alexander wont play, right back needed.

Kalvenes - useless left back, slow and cumbersome will get battered.

Duff/Carlisle and Caldwell - will all struggle despite any combination of the 3.

McCann - probbly one of the best players

Eagles - likewise

Elliot - not good enough for the PL

Gudjohnnsen - as above

Blake - too old and simply no longer PL quality

Thompson - useless

Paterson - too lightweight.

Overhaul required big time.

If Coyle plays half of this lot, he can do a Derby no problem.

welcome to the big time boys, time to take the cash and run because thats all your in it for.

We'll stay up comfortably.

Partly because Owen Coyle is a football genius and partly because we'll keep away from mercenary chancers. But mostly because of the same 'welcome to the big time' arrogance displayed by Premier League incumbents which enabled Hull to collect enough points by Christmas to stay up.

I think traditionally the rovers V burnley was often played on boxing day and it would not surprise me if that happened again this time.

We don't want to play any promoted team before mid October and certainly not in August.

I have to agree that Coyle has done brilliantly. If you look at the Burnley squad, you'd not expect them to achieve promotion. Still, he'll leave to join a bigger club one day and Burnley would be in trouble. Unless he establishes them as a Premier League team.

It's awful. Yesterday the dingles were borassic now they are guaranteed 60m same as us! Probably the equivalent of about 10 years total income.

Any fighters out there knows the golden rule is when your deadly enemy is down and out move in and slit his throat, cos if you let him get up he'll slit yours. Unfortunately Burnely have played their get out of gaol card and are up and running! No matter what any dreamers think it is not good commercially for BRFC. The local 'cake' can only be split in so many ways and with our situation surrounded by strong local rivals this can only be big time bad.

Who would fancy the job of filling BRFC corporate hospitality areas in this recession with them and Notlob vying to do the same?

Anyway first things first; I would like to offer my heartiest congratulations to Burnley FC. It is indeed good to have you back in the top league along with Rovers. Your team have done you proud this season (just wish I could say the same about mine).......................

................ Also one more area where I differ from my colleagues on this site.......I actually hope Burnley are not relegated at the end of the coming season. I don't want your lot going down again so quickly and depriving the Rovers of 6 easy points per season, especially after waiting all these years for the opportunity to arise again. No, No,...as long as your lot finish each season below us, I will be quite happy to have the opportunity to give them a good spanking at least twice a year, and with a cup knockout as a bonus as well that would be even better.

So I, along with all the other Rovers fans, look forward to our forthcoming engagement on the field of battle.

Fife are you a vegan by any chance? <_<

Reality check time.

Beast will need to be replaced simply nowhere near good enough as a Premier Goalkeeper.

Alexander wont play, right back needed.

Kalvenes - useless left back, slow and cumbersome will get battered.

Duff/Carlisle and Caldwell - will all struggle despite any combination of the 3.

McCann - probbly one of the best players

Eagles - likewise

Elliot - not good enough for the PL

Gudjohnnsen - as above

Blake - too old and simply no longer PL quality

Thompson - useless

Paterson - too lightweight.

Overhaul required big time.

If Coyle plays half of this lot, he can do a Derby no problem.

welcome to the big time boys, time to take the cash and run because thats all your in it for.

1864 are you smoking something?

You are normally thoughtful on your thinking and one of the better posters but think you are being a bit naive on this - or in the least forgetting our performances this season (as others are also)

There are pointers to say that they are likely to struggle but its not a forgone conclusion - certainly considering what we have seen this season with our own and other teams , the prospects for Pompey /Wham etc.

We where certainly a foregone conclusion until Sam took over - and although I am not totally impressed or happy with it he kept us up using what he had (all which are considered P/L btw -something of which I would argue)- and his philosphy from the horses mouth was that the remit was to take points off the teams we could do.

Now not blowing Coyle's trumpet , he appears to have a canny knack of doing well with tools he has with a bit of oiling , and given the performances against the teams in the Cup (Chelski /Arse /Foolham/Spurs and WBA etc) would suggest - at least at home they do have a chance -akin to Stoke albeit with maybe a bit more football playing wise.

One thing they do have is a balanced team as well as momentum- something we certainly haven't and this could possibly take them a long way with a few possible additions.

More than likely they won't be able to do it by only using 16 players -but to just write them off completely is a blt blue n white spectacled

Partly because Owen Coyle is a football genius and partly because we'll keep away from mercenary chancers. But mostly because of the same 'welcome to the big time' arrogance displayed by Premier League incumbents which enabled Hull to collect enough points by Christmas to stay up.

:lol: I'm guessing you've been drinking today Sam. :rolleyes:

Hull City had a quality player in Giovanni who won them games, cant see the great...umm Robbie Blake doing that :wacko:

I am willing to wager that if Burnley dont sign at least SEVEN premier league quality players then they will go the way of Derby... and by the way they had a footballing genius too in Davies and look where he ended up..

What's good about next season is that the easy, comfortable, smug superiority you've enjoyed so much has evaporated. We'll both start on 0 points, in the same division.

If you want to claim bragging rights now, you'll have to start earning it, from day one.

Bring. It. On.

Until the day you can beat Rovers Samuel consider yourselves well and truly owned.....we own the bragging rights,Rovers are the top boys around here and have been for many,many a year.

You wont have long to wait until we remind you again of those painful facts.

:rover:

Isn't that what people said of Stoke and Hull when they came up?

Did you see Hull versus Utd " A" team ?, None of that lot would get on our bench now ( with the possible exception of Dawson). Stoke ? Take out Beattie and Etherington who they bought in January and maybe Fuller- would you like to see any of the rest at Ewood ? Shawcross isn't bad but is he better than Samba, Givet, Nelsen or even Zurab ? Let's see what they do next time.

No captain only drinking in the land of reality.

The current burnley team have had a great season. They have had a fantastic cup run.

A season in the top league is totally different than one off games as they will find out.

Its okay them going up and going back to 1992 we were exactly the same however, we had a well laid plan that was executed.

Firstly, burnley will have to have a foundation, it appears to me that they havent although I suspect Coyle and the burnley fans may think its a season too early.

Secondly, they have now got to have a plan to survive. To do that they have got to get signings to complement their current squad and WHO HAVE a Premiership knowledge. That means they have either got to go out and spend MASSIVE money or lookaround the bargain basement/loan market for players that can hack it. That means again HIGH WAGES and outlay.

Thirdly, are the current squad good enough. Stock answer is no they are not which leads to a third and even bigger problem. Burnl,ey have now got to ATTRACT the type of player that will provide them with the quality required.

So in essence, blue tinted glasses on or off, burnley are going to either stand still with their currentl squad or they are going to spend in excess of £25m on players and wages.

despite my hatred for all things claret and blue, I am now accepting they are in our league and will look out for the games/dates. The trouble is I think we are looking at a team that will defy the odds and manage to beat the low points total of a Derby shambles of a team.

Sam thinks they will survive easily, it is going to take some realisation on his behalf when burnley prop up the league come the end of December and are cut adrift.

Lets look at the poor teams this season and I include Rovers in the list and compare the current squads.

Hull - burnley are not even on a par with this lot yet and these are the worst team in the league.

Sunderland - again burnley have nowhere near the quality they have.

Rovers - no contest squadwise.

Pompy - again playerwise, burnley would struggle to even draw with them.

Wigan - not even worth a comparison

Bolton - again even meggo's current outfit are far and away better equipped than burnley.

The rest - ? NO CHANCE

I can`t believe the level of fear on here!?!

Its bloody marvellous we will be facing the old foe again. Thats what its all about. We may win, we may lose but I can guarantee its the 2 fixtures both sets of fans will look for 1st. Some folk may find this staggering, but we will lose to them one day you know. Could be this year, could be in 20 but it will happen. Derby days are great. Bring on Preston, Stanley and Blackpool. The less London clubs the better.

Ask any premiership manager, who is a better team Rovers or Burnley. Ask fans across Europe who Burnley is, and who Rovers are, then check the response. I dont have time to listen to all these Burnley fools. We have been in the top league for years, won it, champions league football, league cup winners, fa cup semi finalist 3 times in 4 years, top 10 finishes on numerous occasions, Uefa cup football. Apart from the relegation year, and this year we have been doing very well. Its about being at the top and staying there, not coming up for 1 season, have a nice party and go down again. Promoted after 30 odd years, now lets see if they can stay up for at least the next 2 years, if not then tough luck. Rant over!

Archived