BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn 3-2 Dingles

Here it is folks. The countdown has begun to the most eagerly awaited of Premiership matches since Rovers entertained Newcastle United on VE Day.

Sunday 18th October 2009, kick off 1300hrs, the place to be if your a Rovers fan is Ewood Park. The day has finally arrived as Rovers host our enemy from Turf Moor, Dingles FC aka Burnley, in the Football Leagues oldest Derby match. Yes folks and fellow Rovers fans, this day should be the day when the missus is confined to shopping alone, the dogs and cats locked in the garden, the children sent to the Grandparents and for those unfortunate not to have a valid match ticket, that the food in the fridge is binned in order to keep the tinnies cold.

SKY will be showing the first Top Division match between these two "old enemies" as Ewood hosts the first top flight match between the clubs since 1965/66 - a season that is to be forgotten for all Rovers fans as it ended with relegation and a slide that almost took us on a slippery slope that only our nearest and dearest rivals could compare. Yes dingles, remember Wrexham and remember that Plane!

Now then, as we are in International week mode, the tv build up has yet to be advertised, so if any of our mates from SKY are reading fanzines and fan web sites, get a load of this. We are regularly treated to matches being billed as the big one. We have so far seen City v manure, Liverpoo v chelski, Arsenal v manure, city v arsenal and all of them had many minutes worth of build up. For me, as a football lover, not one of them deserved the build up they got as all are non memorable matches. TV fans are sick of them and I have regularly turned them off in favour of an old Time Classic Movie. I am sick to death of prima donnas rolling the pitches, rolling over in pain then getting up and sprinting the full length of the pitch having scored a goal !

Now, the footballing world will be treated to our build up and to exactly what it means to Rovers fans (and our 6 fingered trolls from deepest dark East Lancs). The weekend just gone saw the supposed BIG ONE in Rangers v Celtic. It was only big in Scotland and Ireland oh yes I almost forgot and in church as well. The game itself was a poor fayre, the fans did their best to rile each other but overall it wasnt the Old Firm of old.

On Sunday next, the mid day opener will breath life into East Lancashire football fans. Historically, we are 13 miles apart and despise the sight of each other. Hatred is certainly one word that can be used to describe the rivalry. In fact, it ranks such top billing that pubs will be closed, dingles cant come into Blackburn unless they are on a coach and the Police and authority have barred all but the first 3000 travelling fans from Ewood. We have seen regular visitors to our own web site from the likes of Sam Dingle, Longsider and the other moron, and although I doubt that anyone of those trio have ever witnessed a Rovers v Dingles league match, the views of their club are echoed by our fans.

It is going to be hell hole of fire, passion, spite, hate, poison and vitriol. We hate them, they hate us. Being a Rover, I know that we have the upper hand, the experience and the class whereas they only have hope.

If anyone is not aware Rovers have played Burnley 82 times in the league. Rovers hold the winning hand by 36 to 33. There has been 13 draws. However which way you look at statistics, one thing can never lie or be made to look anything other than the truth.

Burnley have not beaten Rovers in the league since April 14th 1979. That is over 30 years of pain and hurt.

I want to take you back to the season 1965/66. Some of our members were around at the time, fans such a jim mk11, den, Alan and others who have well and much respected views of the game. I would guestimate that some 65%-75% were not. Rovers were led by the ineffective managership of Jack Marshall, who over saw the first part of Rovers demise to the lower echelons of the football league. Stuck in a rut in Division 1, Rovers didnt have the guile to stave off relegation despite players such as McEvoy, Clayton,Douglas, Newton, England, Byrom and Ferguson. out of the first 15 games, Rovers achieved only 2 wins, 1 at home to Fulham and the other away at the dingledome were we thrashed Burnley 4-1. We only achieved 6 more wins as we finished 22nd and took the drop. It was New Years Day when Burnley won at Ewood in front of 28000 fans as the dingles took there last ever points at Ewood in the top flight.

The next game I would like to mention took place on December 27th 1982. The venue was Turf Moor when both Rovers and our enemy found ourselves embroiled in battle in the then Division 2. Those who purchase the latest Rovers dvd will find the presenter featured highly in this game as well as he did the same in the return match at Ewood Park the following April. This was the game that saw thousands of Blue and whites making the trek over the hills to take their position on the supposedly famous Longside. Well we did so, as well as taking over a portion of the then Bee Hole End. Back in those days, the back of the Longside was seperated by a 6ft brick wall. It made for full on entertainment throughout the game as well as the no mans land bewtween the two sets of fans. Anyhow, Burnley's nemesis, a young and vibrant Simon Garner took the points for Rovers as we won the game 1-0. I recall a fantastic atmosphere but the main thing that I had within me was the hatred for everything in Claret and Blue. To win was everything and made my Christmas, to think of losing didnt even enter my thoughts. Rovers didnt let us down, it was the dingles who drowned on turkey and tinsel. For the record, the second game at Ewood finished with Rovers winning 2-1 with Simon Garner scoring a couple of penalties. I am certain that this was the game when some idiot fell off the Darwen End stand, he wasnt wearing blue and white colours I may add.

So then, to the present. Burnley find themselves amongst the big boys following their play off win at Wemberlee. To some, nae many, they have amazed all after beating both Everton and manure at the turd. However, true to form, away from their hovel, they just leak goals and cannot pick up points. I am sure Owen Coyle and his staff will see Rovers ripe for pickings after our latest result away at The Ar$e. For me, its heaven sent and presents yet another chance to remember the advice given to me by my late Rovers supporting Granddad, whom I may add, totally despised everything in clarrot and blue.

I recently became chatty with Steph through work. He is a regular dingle fan, travels both home and away and is a real football supporter. A man brought up in a simple way (arn't they all) to respect other fans views. I popped him a few questions and here is his response (edited in order that it makes sense to those that CAN read).

How long have you followed Burnley and where do you sit ?

Been going since 1965/66 and currently sit in the Jimmy McIlroy upper.

What are your views of the EPL so far and how have Burnley settled into the biggest league in the world ?

My views havent changed since promotion, its only confirmed them that the league is ALL about money. It attracts what I call plastic fans. In the lower league you watch real football watched by real fans. Burnley have settled well and the points we have in the bag now is about 7 more than I thought we would have.

What are your favourite memories of a Rovers v Burnley match ?

I havent got many as we simply havent played you. I would go for Hydes equaliser (thats the fluke) in the cup replay a few years back. I want to credit some Rovers fans I know who tell me the roar when we equalised was the loudest ever away end cheer. Oh yes, I do remember we lost 2-1 !

How do you compare Burnleys rise to the premiership to Rovers ?

Basically, you did it with lots of money we did it all under our own steam.

What should Burnley aim for this season ?

17th spot. Our home form will be crucial to that goal.

Who should Rovers fear ?

Noone individually we play as a team. We play football and never give in, the negative side is a weak midfield (and defence, and attack).

Which Rovers players will cause your lot problems ?

I dont know enough about any of your players. (Is Garner still playing?).

What is your reaction to the Police imposed no travel/no ticket situation ?

Controversial. Neither clubs nor the Police get any credit for the decision. It seems the Police have laid the foundations and ground rules to suit them and them only. The rest of his views are honest and controversial, but as I agree with most of what he said I have refrained from writing them.

How do you see the game and a prediction please ?

Not sure but a draw would be very pleasing. Our away form doesnt fill me with hope.

Thanks Steph for taking the time to respond, I know that you will be paying a visit to our fans forum and I know that you will be at Ewood for the game.

For me, its all about how Rovers approach the game. We have to win at all costs. We must meet Burnley head on and gget at them from the off. the fans, US, have a massive part to play.

I truly beleive our winning run over Burnley will continue. 2-0 the scoreline with a surprise goalscorer.

Enjoy fellow Roverites and be safe.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like something written by a four year old.

Poor.

jhc you glory hunting scummy swamp dwelling piece of brunshaw st dog vomit.......1 win and you come out of your cockroach infested hovel,change your tampon now because your in for a long nasty period at ewood

Like something written by a four year old.

Poor.

That is a bit childish. Thought you were supposed to be above that.

Good preview 1864!

I think we will win this one. It will be tight, but we have looked decent generally recently despite the Arsenal thrashing in the last half hour. Crucially we want four things:

1) Samba available

2) Hoilett right wing

3) Di Santo up front

4) Andrews not playing in any capacity

Providing we have that I think we should be okay. Dunn will score.

Coyle will have them tearing at the bit and they will come to attack so this is likely to be a hugely entertaining game.

Two ways to look at this game; the first is simple we are playing Burnley and so the match must be won and that is the end of the discussion. Another view revolves around the manager's targetting of individual matches, a tactic many find acceptable and for some is an inevitable consequence of the PL's financial merry-go-round. For clubs of Rovers standing PL survival represents achievement; there are two golden rules for surviving in this league, win your home games and be sure to beat those teams in similar league positions to your own. Regardless of the opposition this is a match the manager must go all out to win as we simply cannot afford to drop points against recently promoted sides and / or other potential relegation candidates. Burnley or not anything less than a win will be a failure leaving us looking at a very stark October probably yielding no points from four fixtures.

Great preview. Please write it in crayon next time so at least some dingles can read it. After all, they spend more time here than on their own board

Hope that Dunny doesn't try too hard to do it all himself but really hope he gets a goal. Di Santo is due a goal...

Great preview.

It might no longer be minis and feraris but they have a push bike in PL terms and we at least have a moped.

Could become a dire game of attrition with a lot of closing down and broken play particularly if the ref is nervous. Slightly more likely to be an open contest with the dingles set up to hit us hard on the counter attack.

As I have said elsewhere, this game could break Allardyce's managership if he gets it wrong but I'd back Sam to have this one worked out meticulously. So its down to the players to do their stuff as man for man the right team picked would be better than the dingles all over the park. With the crowd's backing it should be a win for Rovers, perhaps a handsome one if we are clinical in turning superiority into goals.

Whatever happens, the beast will no doubt enhance his reputation as a dingle hero.

Good preview 1864 , obviously your method worked wonders as Samantha obviously understood it :brfcsmilie:

I remember the home game but wasn't at the away game in 82

Could become a dire game of attrition with a lot of closing down and broken play particularly if the ref is nervous. Slightly more likely to be an open contest with the dingles set up to hit us hard on the counter attack.

As I have said elsewhere, this game could break Allardyce's managership if he gets it wrong but I'd back Sam to have this one worked out meticulously. So its down to the players to do their stuff as man for man the right team picked would be better than the dingles all over the park. With the crowd's backing it should be a win for Rovers, perhaps a handsome one if we are clinical in turning superiority into goals.

Whatever happens, the beast will no doubt enhance his reputation as a dingle hero.

I'm of the same line of thinking philip - especially re Sam.

joey_big_nose

Posted Today, 01:28 AM

Providing we have that I think we should be okay. Dunn will score.

I am sure he will , but hope its not like RovertheHill suggests about him wanting to do it on his own. Just have a funny feeling Dunn will be targeted ala Kevin Ball style - I'm sure Eric will have picked up on the resurgence of DD and him being the driving force and only real creativity and nous we have. Cut off Dunn and we are negated - upto Sam to show he is the 'expert'.

Bunleh have shown they can score decent goals (outside of the box) - we have shown we can concede them easily and are highly likely to make a 'balls up' in defence.

We need our shooting boots not the ones that seem to have resided in the Rovers dressing room for ages and appear every now and again on the Rovers players and make the opposition goalie look miles better than he really is.

Bring it on :brfc::brfc:

Archived