BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs Portsmouth. Ewood Park, 7Th November.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say this match followed by Bolton and Stoke are crucial to how the rest of the season progresses. It's not unrealistic to suggest we should have the ability to win those three, I'd take a loss against Fulham, and the nine points would move us nicely clear of the bottom three while pulling clubs around us downwards. Screw up against Pompey and Bolton and it will look grim. On paper we should win this but Pompey must be on something of a high and know what a win means for them. Very difficult to call given our past ability to give underperforming teams the chance to break a duck or whatever.

2-2

I'd say this match followed by Bolton and Stoke are crucial to how the rest of the season progresses. It's not unrealistic to suggest we should have the ability to win those three, I'd take a loss against Fulham, and the nine points would move us nicely clear of the bottom three while pulling clubs around us downwards. Screw up against Pompey and Bolton and it will look grim. On paper we should win this but Pompey must be on something of a high and know what a win means for them. Very difficult to call given our past ability to give underperforming teams the chance to break a duck or whatever.

2-2

That was stoke's duty this year (followed by wigan). It's up to us to do them and I believe we can. Kalinic to seal a nervy 2-1 win. Dunny with the first and Piquonne to net theirs.

Must win game, end of.

No it's not. That phrase gets thrown around so much that it's lost all meaning. What happens if we draw? Not much, it's certainly not disastrous.

It's an important game because we need to turn the run of poor results around, but to call a game at the start of November a 'must win' is daft.

It's an important game because we need to turn the run of poor results around, but to call a game at the start of November a 'must win' is daft.

I have to pick up on this. What 'run of poor results' are you on about? IIRC we haven't lost a home game since the opening day of the season and have lost three very difficult away matches to the top 4 in the last three away with two home wins sandwiched in between.

I have to pick up on this. What 'run of poor results' are you on about? IIRC we haven't lost a home game since the opening day of the season and have lost three very difficult away matches to the top 4 in the last three away with two home wins sandwiched in between.

Maybe the nature of the recent results then, I admit there's nothing 'poor' about losing away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd.

Regardless of whether they're viewed as poor results or not, the reality is we're in the relegation zone and need to start picking points up soon. I just don't think that this match can ever be called 'must win', because it simply isn't the case. If it was being played in May and we were in this situation I would agree.

I think it is only a must win in that Pompey - in their current situation - would be seen as an easier 3 points than other teams in the top half of the table because of where they are and we are at home. If we fail to pick up 3 points against them then we would have to be looking to get them from another, more difficult match. In short it is a a good opportunity to get 3 points and move up the table...

I agree though that to push the panic button now would be silly though as there are plenty of games left.

I think it is only a must win in that Pompey - in their current situation - would be seen as an easier 3 points than other teams in the top half of the table because of where they are and we are at home. If we fail to pick up 3 points against them then we would have to be looking to get them from another, more difficult match. In short it is a a good opportunity to get 3 points and move up the table...

I agree though that to push the panic button now would be silly though as there are plenty of games left.

At last, a man with his head screwed on.

As were West Ham. And Wolves to an extent.

Sam will play not to concede and nick a couple. Then he'll make some subs and shut up shop and put us under pressure if we concede one.

I appreciate the opposition aren't the same level but I hope we can play a bit more like the second half against Posh if we get a goal or two clear.

after last nights result i can defintly see him playing like we did against wham....if he does im outta there at half time because the wham was the worst spectacle ive ever seen.

after last nights result i can defintly see him playing like we did against wham....if he does im outta there at half time because the wham was the worst spectacle ive ever seen.

After last night's result we could be bottom by Sunday evening, Allardyce simply must win this game.

• Backroom

I'll be fuming if we set up like that, West Ham was awful, I can understand a holding game to an extent against some teams but teams as bad as Portsmouth need to be attacked.

Must win game, end of.

No it's not. That phrase gets thrown around so much that it's lost all meaning. What happens if we draw? Not much, it's certainly not disastrous.

I'll tell you why it's "must win" Le Chuck. Being in the relegation zone approaching Christmas is psychologically very damaging for the first team, the entire squad of playing staff, the non-playing staff throughout the club (some of whose jobs are at risk far more than the players if we go down), the fans - just the whole club. You really feel it around the place.

That's where we are today, and Portsmouth are one of only two teams keeping us from rock bottom. If we lose we might even be rock bottom by Sunday night. That is even more psychologically draining.

Winning this one is a springboard to looking up the table rather than propping it up for the next fortnight, and the players going into the international break on a real high rather than heading off to meet their compatriots as the poor relations (to discuss where they might move to if Rovers do go down).

I sometimes wonder if you really understand this. You sit there posting on this MB throughout every single game despite being based in the North West - even the Burnley game - Rovers fans flew in from all over the world for that one. That was a must win game for somewhat different reasons, maybe if you'd been there and sampled the atmosphere you'd understand that it is NOT daft to describe games at this stage of the season as "must win".

Saturday is. Look at the dreadful West Ham result at Ewood, and the difference those extra two points would have made to our position in the table right now. That is why you are entirely wrong to describe this as daft - Portsmouth on Saturday IS A MUST WIN GAME.

I can see this being a draw.

If Roberts starts on his own up front again I'll spill my cup-a-soup.

Why would Roberts start up front on his own Bryan ... Do you know something we dont !

It will be Di Santo as usual on saturday supported by Dunn ...

But i'm all in favour of Kalinic being bloodied this weekend

And dont expect too many changes from the team that started at OT apart from possibly Grella coming back into the middle

Everyone remember we're very good at home .... thats not the problem !!!!!

• Backroom

I'll tell you why it's "must win" Le Chuck. Being in the relegation zone approaching Christmas is psychologically very damaging for the first team, the entire squad of playing staff, the non-playing staff throughout the club (some of whose jobs are at risk far more than the players if we go down), the fans - just the whole club. You really feel it around the place.

That's where we are today, and Portsmouth are one of only two teams keeping us from rock bottom. If we lose we might even be rock bottom by Sunday night. That is even more psychologically draining.

Winning this one is a springboard to looking up the table rather than propping it up for the next fortnight, and the players going into the international break on a real high rather than heading off to meet their compatriots as the poor relations (to discuss where they might move to if Rovers do go down).

I sometimes wonder if you really understand this. You sit there posting on this MB throughout every single game despite being based in the North West - even the Burnley game - Rovers fans flew in from all over the world for that one. That was a must win game for somewhat different reasons, maybe if you'd been there and sampled the atmosphere you'd understand that it is NOT daft to describe games at this stage of the season as "must win".

Saturday is. Look at the dreadful West Ham result at Ewood, and the difference those extra two points would have made to our position in the table right now. That is why you are entirely wrong to describe this as daft - Portsmouth on Saturday IS A MUST WIN GAME.

Agree with this, Saturdays game is HUGE, anything other than a win is a massive failure and no excuses will suffice.

If Sam sets us up, to be defensive against Pompey then im going to lose it. Pompey are no Man United or Chelsea, they basically in our territory and we should be like a Chelsea to them this coming Saturday. If we cant beat Pompey at home, then we are a hopeless bunch of numpties.

People say that the players on the pitch should take as much blame as the manager but if S.A.plays a defensive formation against this lot then he should take ALL the blame if we get beat. Even if we win with a defensive formation he should be criticised, playing defensively against Pompey should not be an option and would give a clear indication of his mind set,hopefully though he may see it the way of most fans and let the lads show what they can do.

The thing is...regardless of the result, the club should not be this position, battling to avoid last place with Portsmouth. People have said that we have no resources, but others have argued that player-by-player our squad should still be good enough to at least be in the top half of the table...and I agree with both points.

A new style of play and mental toughness needs to be implemented in the players, but so far Sam has shown he is not willing to try new things. I fully expect to see Andrews starting again.

Archived