BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

Sorensen is having a good season and is a good keeper but, if he is better than Robinson, then there isn't much in it. Friedel is a better keeper but, again, it's no longer a case of him being head and shoulders above given his slight dip in form with age.

As for Gordon and Gomes? Well I don't agree at all. Gordon is absolute pants and cost £9m! Then Gomes has probably made more high profile mistakes in his short time in England than the rest of the keepers I've listed put together!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I'm not a Robinson fan. He is a huge downgrade on Friedel, and one of the major contributing factors to why our defensive record has been poor ever since Friedel left, despite the personnel being largely similar.

• Backroom

To be honest I'm not a Robinson fan. He is a huge downgrade on Friedel, and one of the major contributing factors to why our defensive record has been poor ever since Friedel left, despite the personnel being largely similar.

I wouldn't say he's a 'huge' downgrade. He's a premier league level keeper.

On the topic of goalkeepers I'd list the first choice for each club in the following order:

Given

Reina

Jaaskelainen

Cech

Van Der Saar

Friedel

Schwarzer

James

Kirkland

Robinson

Howard

Green

Almunia

Gomes

Sorensen

Hart

Gordon

Jensen

Myhill

Hennessey

So by my reckoning he's the 10th best goalkeeper in the league, and for a club of our resources I'd say that's the sort of standard keeper you'd expect us to have. Of the keepers above him in my list none of them would be possible signings. We where undoubtley spoiled having Big Brad for a numbers of years, there probably won't ever be a better keeper at this club.

So by my reckoning he's the 10th best goalkeeper in the league, and for a club of our resources I'd say that's the sort of standard keeper you'd expect us to have. Of the keepers above him in my list none of them would be possible signings. We where undoubtley spoiled having Big Brad for a numbers of years, there probably won't ever be a better keeper at this club.

I'd probably have him 8th, above Schwarzer and Kirkland.

That aside, if we had the 10th best everything in the league, we'd finish 10th. And that would be pretty good right now.

I do not understand this deification of the man. If I was offered a lucky dip of all the first choice keepers in this league vs keeping Robbo I'd choose the first option.

Sadly you don't get to bring in players via lucky dip, you have to pay for them. Herein lies the problem.

Spot on with this Grizfoot. Whoever came in to follow Brad was going to have this problem - unless we could afford someone like Petr Cech.

Spoiled is the word.

It's worth noting though that, when Brad was the age Robbo is now, he left Liverpool for Rovers because he couldn't get in the team past the newly arrived Sander Westerveld, nor for the previous 3 years when he was unable to unseat the magnificent, David James.

At that time, most Rovers fans thought that he wasn't good enough to shine Filan's boots, and questioned why Souey bought him at all.

Brad went on to be (quite rightly IMO) described as 'World class'. I honestly think Brad was a one-off: if anyone ever got down to Ewood early on a match day and watched his warm-up I'm sure they'd say they've never seem a more professional, dedicated footballer and that's what has contributed to his longevity at the highest level.

We probably swapped Brad a year (or two) too early but that would have meant him almost certainly leaving for nothing and, with our finances, you sometimes have to put up with bad timing in order to take opportunities.

Robbo is by no means perfect and is somewhat inconsistent, he probably isn't going to be any Brad Friedel (I couldn't expect him to be) but overall, from what I've seen, I'd say the trend line is going upwards so let's give the guy a chance, eh?

Good man, Jisty. I'm guessing that is the view of most fans, but some are probably focussing on negatives (as you say, and we can all see) purely due to comparisons with arguably the greatest defensive-minded player to pull on the blue and white halves. Most CERTAINLY the greatest keeper. Filan and Friedel are the only 1st team keepers I can really recall before our current set up because of my relatively short 10 years of supporting the rovers. I feel blessed in a way, to have seen such quality keeping (seeing as that is where I would play in a team) and can therefore understand why some have 'got used to' such an awesome goalie and see Robbo as a step-down. I personally think Robbo will keep improving (albeit slowly) and will be England's numbero uno once again by the time the next Euro's come along.

Just watched first half Wolves v Birmingham, one of last years suggested targets Kightly has had a very poor game and his ball retention was poor, Laarsen, (amother suggested target) has been played out of the game by a decent Wolves left full back and one of the better players on the pitch has been Barry Fergusen, having said that, the p[layers around him have been working hard and Brum are much quicker to the ball than Wolves!!

From a pure footballing perspective, so far this season, Barry Ferguson has been great for Birmingham. I watched their game against Spurs and he was one of the best players on the pitch. He has ability to hold his own in this league and is a good passer of the ball.

Just noticed that he's signed a new contract at United despite not getting much of a look in, so I'm thinking he might be ripe for a loan - therefore how would people feel if we let Di Santo go in Jan and brought in Federico Macheda til the Summer?

Just noticed that he's signed a new contract at United despite not getting much of a look in, so I'm thinking he might be ripe for a loan - therefore how would people feel if we let Di Santo go in Jan and brought in Federico Macheda til the Summer?

I work with 3 Reds, all of them are gutted and cant understand why he has been given a new contract. To me that says alot as they are usually deluded by thier own players....Not good enough at the moment

What's he done apart from scoring one decent goal? and even in that match he was dire.

IMHO I'd prefer to keep Di Santo

I work with 3 Reds, all of them are gutted and cant understand why he has been given a new contract. To me that says alot as they are usually deluded by thier own players....Not good enough at the moment

Interesting, I didn't know that. My assumption was SAF had seen enough in him to give him a 5 year deal......he's usually a decent judge of these things.

Archived