BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

Nicko any news on the Hoilett situation? Did he definitely turn down our 'final offer'?

He turned down a very good offer. I would be surprised if it goes higher. But money may not be the only issue here.

If the lad gets a few games before the end of the season it might change the picture.

Hopefully he doesn't sign a pre-contract anywhere abroad as he is free to do in 25 days time... :mellow:

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a brief spell when you had Di Santo, Kalinic and Hoilett in your attack on Saturday. Now THAT is the kind of future you want.

True but....

Di Santo - still only on loan

Hoilett - likely to sign for some German team in a months time :angry2:

IF they go then we are left with Benni, Roberts & Kalinic in the summer with probably the 1st 2 needing to move on.

We need to get Hoilett signed up some how, keep Di Santo and shift Roberts out for a better striker.

True but....

Di Santo - still only on loan

Hoilett - likely to sign for some German team in a months time :angry2:

IF they go then we are left with Benni, Roberts & Kalinic in the summer with probably the 1st 2 needing to move on.

We need to get Hoilett signed up some how, keep Di Santo and shift Roberts out for a better striker.

If we have Hoilett, Di Santo, Kalinic and Benni as our striker options next season I would be very happy indeed. Lots of pace, a bit of experience, and hopefully a decent goalscoring record from this season (if Kalinic does not start hitting the back of the net regularly over the next three months I will revise my opinion!)

I can see Di Santo happening. His finishing clearly isn't up to scratch and because of that I don't think Chelsea really have any use for him. They can afford better and will go out and get it as they have done with Sturridge. So it will be up to us to polish the talent there a la Bentley/Samba etc. I could see them putting a sell on clause in there to protect themselves, or maybe loaning again for another season. I would put money on him ending up in blue and white permanently if I could.

Hoilett is more difficult. To convince him to stay he is going to need some serious game time, but I can't see him getting more than 20-30 mins per game which might not be enough. I think he will go which is sad as he has a lot of potential and is a completely different type of player to what we have on our books.

As for Benni - who knows? I think it comes down to how much he plays and whether anyone remotely decent comes in for him. Looking at him against Liverpool he could be rejuvinated alongside the younger lads. They all like to run the back line and the channels which is what McCarthy has needed for two and a half years now - Roberts provides it to a certain extent, but Cruz never really clicked with him in this way. Benni needs the space created to drop off and link play as he did excellently against Pool. Also playing behind the front two really suits him. If he gets a run of games, scores a few and feels good about playing I can see him extending. It will be quite a tall order to do that though with things are they are, but you never know.

There was a brief spell when you had Di Santo, Kalinic and Hoilett in your attack on Saturday. Now THAT is the kind of future you want.

Would be an excellent future, but 2 of the 3 apparently are not with us for long.

Chances are we'll need to invest in another centre-back if Samba becomes next year's inevitable Bellamy/Bentley/Santa Cruz-esque departure.

Prudent planning. Nelsen is getting older, and Samba will be in high demand. Better to buy and train the replacements now, well in advance of their departures, then to wait until we are desperate.

Beattie is in and out of an ordinary Stoke team.

He is also on a huge wage and wants a long-term deal.

You are better with what you have.

Agree. Look at Beattie's goal tally this season.

To sign James 'the worst centre forward Everton have ever had' Beattie would be a massive own goal and backward step for the club and big Sam.

Have to say I agree 100%.

He went from Everton to the Championship, then to a poor Stoke team where he is now a bench player. That's his level now, Championship starter or Prem sub. On top of this he's 31. If he wasn't a local lad I doubt anyone would want him.

That Chavez fella is 6ft 3, just noticed. More height into the squad! We look like we are becoming a very strong unit.....

Note that Beattie didnt train today and only attended the ground for 30 mins before leaving! :o

He was at the training ground for a bit then did gym work for the rest of the day at the Britannia stadium.

I dont care either way, he wouldnt add anything to what we have. With Roberts we already have one championship striker who can rarely produce the goods, I dont think we need a second. I reckon Di Santo is worth a punt, unlikely to find any better strikers around at Jan. I think one decent goal and he'd go on a decent run. Kalinic/Di Santo should be a very good front pairing when they're both up and running.

Prudent planning. Nelsen is getting older, and Samba will be in high demand. Better to buy and train the replacements now, well in advance of their departures, then to wait until we are desperate.

True. To be honest Samba is gone for £15m+ at the end of this season if he keeps up the quality he has produced over the last year.

The world we sadly live in. At least it seens we have the 2011 sale as well lined up in NZonzi so we will have some financial breathing room.....!

True. To be honest Samba is gone for £15m+ at the end of this season if he keeps up the quality he has produced over the last year.

The world we sadly live in. At least it seens we have the 2011 sale as well lined up in NZonzi so we will have some financial breathing room.....!

Has not Samba just signed a new contract? This must indicate that he is happy at Rovers and not itching for a move. John Williams has said the club does not need to sell its players

If I were mischief making I could say look at the goal tally of Kalinic, Di Santo and Hoillett! Couldn't score in a brothell the 4 of em on current form.

Lets be honest though, apart from di Santo, Kalinic and Hoillett haven't played that many games yet. Kalinic has scored 4 in two league cup games and Hoilett hardly any games at all - he did get the penalty against chelsea and has played fairly well. But yes the clear chances he has had he should have put them away. Same as kalinic, the chances he has had they also should have been scored - but as things stand his goal ratio to games played is not too bad at the moment - he had a goal disallowed wrongly at man u. I suggest the jury is still out on both of them at the moment.

Has not Samba just signed a new contract? This must indicate that he is happy at Rovers and not itching for a move. John Williams has said the club does not need to sell its players

Santa Cruz signed a new contract at August 2008, and by January was whoring himself to City.

Interesting if true. Don't know if he's tough enough to cope with the physical side of the Premiership, but good to see that we're acknowledged as a decent club for good youth prospects.

Nicko: Rumours have it that Everton FC have been bought by an Englishman - any truth in this?

To sign James 'the worst centre forward Everton have ever had' Beattie would be a massive own goal and backward step for the club and big Sam.

Jal, whilst I agree with your statements that we shouldnt sign Beattie, to say he is the worst striker that Everton have had is unfair...that accolade (according to my Evertonian mates) goes to Brett Angell closely followed by Stuart "Jigsaw" Barlow (so called as he goes to pieces in the box)!

I will presume he has been offered around, but I can't see him doing anything for a Premier League club with ambition to climb the table...

Nicko: Rumours have it that Everton FC have been bought by an Englishman - any truth in this?

Will make a call or two.

It would have to be an Englishman who went out in the midday sun, mind you.

If I were mischief making I could say look at the goal tally of Kalinic, Di Santo and Hoillett! Couldn't score in a brothell the 4 of em on current form.

Not mischief making Theno it's the truth. Granted two of them (Kalinic & Hoilett) haven't played that much but swap them for Roberts who has had a lot of game time and it still makes awful reading.

What we need over anything else IMO is a settled front line for the next few games. Let them develop an understanding and see how they do together. Chopping and changing every five minutes won't help anybody.

Archived