BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

People seem to forget that a certain Graeme Le Saux was a left winger when we signed him,we converted him to THE best left back i have seen at Ewood in over 30 years of watching.

Also Gareth Barry got his first England cap as a centre half then got switched to left back,left wing then finally centre midfield where he is recognised as one of the best midfielders in England.

With regards to Gareth Bale,he does seem to be good at getting forward and is decent at set pieces too.Now i`m not saying he WILL make a good winger,but it is possible for him to convert to that position.If he is available at a decent price then you never know,he might be worth a chance.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXACTLY - how I see it.

We should try our hardest to allocate MGP's wages to a proper left winger - id go for Adam Johnson from Boro - im sure if we offered him anywhere near to what we pay Gamst then we she be able to attract him easily. Boro will probably sell him for a small knock-down fee in January, maybe even a swap deal with someone like Jason Roberts?!

Would love Johnson, quality prospect. We have no chance at all though, the lad has Chelsea and Real Madrid interested in signing him! He can take his pick of clubs because his contract is running out and I dont think we'll be anywhere near the top of his list.

Can I surmise from this that you would not have taken Chimbonda or Robinson? Both of whom offer good value and quality despite poor records at Spurs?

All I am saying is that the criteria is not "is he playing well for them" but "can he play well for us". I would say in a different environment here he can. But it is all hypothetical.

No you can't. Why is it so easy on here, to be so misunderstood? :D

The criteria is have you seen them and do you rate them?

People seem to forget that a certain Graeme Le Saux was a left winger when we signed him,we converted him to THE best left back i have seen at Ewood in over 30 years of watching.

Also Gareth Barry got his first England cap as a centre half then got switched to left back,left wing then finally centre midfield where he is recognised as one of the best midfielders in England.

With regards to Gareth Bale,he does seem to be good at getting forward and is decent at set pieces too.Now i`m not saying he WILL make a good winger,but it is possible for him to convert to that position.If he is available at a decent price then you never know,he might be worth a chance.

Good post , Bale for me is the type of player who hasnt really found his position , some will argue he's not defensively minded to be a left back or not quick or skillful enough to be a winger , the same was said of Le Saux too in his early days at Chelsea , if we are to continue to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation we could do a lot worse than look at James Mcfadden for wide left , yes a very talented player but he struggles to produce his true quality , just the sort of player Big Sam can turn around???

Why JBN?

All I've said is that I don't rate Bale. Why go into my verdict on every other signing?

Because you made the rather sweeping statement that if he isn't good enough for spurs then he isn't good enough for us. The above signings (both good signings) were deemed not gooed anough for Spurs too.

Because you made the rather sweeping statement that if he isn't good enough for spurs then he isn't good enough for us. The above signings (both good signings) were deemed not good anough for Spurs too.

Did I? Where?

Now Den...is this another case of you thinking a player a young player will be stuck at their current level forever? ;)

There you go again LeChuck. I'm still waiting for the apology you promised for misquoting me last time.

Would love Johnson, quality prospect. We have no chance at all though, the lad has Chelsea and Real Madrid interested in signing him! He can take his pick of clubs because his contract is running out and I dont think we'll be anywhere near the top of his list.

He wouldnt get in the Real Madrid team and would he get in the Chelsea team? he wasnt happy being a sub to Downing so he seems level headed - surely he wouldnt want to fight with Joe Cole, Malouda & Kalou??

MGP earns crazy money with us, if i remember rightly Johnson earns something like 10k a week.....5 times less than our left winger!!

Im sure if we wanted him enough, we could get him

Not a huge fan of Bale but turning squadies like him into quality first teamers is what Rovers do best.

The fact that a lot of players don't go on to better things once they leave (with the odd exception) speaks for itself.

Ewood Park - Where Heroes Are Made TM

(Get on to it as a merchandising slogan, Hughsey!) ;)

• Backroom

I think Van Heerden may leavie in January although I think he could offer something from the bench, it would be a shame for him to miss out on a World Cup place though.

Don't really understand the Bale thing - £3m for a left back who cant defend, but may or may not be able to play on the wing....

We aren't exactly brimming with cash, the guy will be on big wages already, what's the point risking the money?

Incidentally Beattie for Roberts I'd take. As for Hoilett, if he signs Bosman then unless cash upfront is a decent offer we may as well keep him till summer.

Bit of a leap from what I said isn't it Den? Spurs have a track record of buying talent and wasting it, only to see it regain said talent elsewhere. Their cast offs are exactly the sort of players we should be looking at, as Chimbo and Robbo have proven. We don't have to sign them all, but we should be looking for sure.

The only Spurs cast-off I'd be interested in is Bentley (sob!)

Hi,

Curiously we're being linked with players again but I was lead to believe we had spent our lot? Does someone know if JW has been hoarding dollar down the back of one of his office chairs, so we can sign players?

Do we really have a jan budget? Mr Nixon is it true?

Cheers

Ruud again today, I'd have him here in a hearbbeat.

Where exactly is this supposed link to Bale?

Todays Sun says we are interested in signing Ruud van Nistelrooy. Wouldnt mind a bit of that at all. Although at 33 and his wages, this cant be a long-term solution, but if he signs and mentors players like Di Santo and Kalinic, it wouldnt be bad would it?

Maji - Im sure Nicko said previously that their is a budget available for January from somewhere....

£3m for Ruud, 33, and big wages - not so sure about that!! He will get us goals, no doubt about that but its the £3m fee which puts me off.

Archived