BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

if Di Santo does not sign on for longer in January, i don't think we need to go out and panic buy, by try bringing a forward in. We have still got Benni, Roberts and Kalinic at the club, which most clubs in the prem would like to have. If either Benni or Roberts leave in January, then i think we might need another forward.

With these options we would have huge problems. Even if Di Santo stays we still need striker. But we won´t get one. Or is there a chance that Kalinic can actually help us this season? I have seen him playing 15 min. Never heard this Honduras defender Chavez before. Nicko, is there something?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard this Honduras defender Chavez before. Nicko, is there something?

Did not hear about Chavez being over...but he is up at Celtic now.

The agent involved did deals at Blackburn under Ince, but I thought he was black-listed.

Strange.

Even if Di Santo stays we still need striker.

You're joking, right? We're already struggling to give pitch time to McCarthy and Kalinic, we don't need another striker in there. The only way we could improve on what we have up front is by selling someone first.

Have you heard anything about a new contract for dunny ?

Dunny's agent won't be spreading the gossip around the media as Dunny isn't trying to manufacture a move elsewhere. He's already playing for the club he wants to be at. His contract will be sorted in good time. It wouldn't surprise me if Sam has said at the beginning of the season to give it until Christmas and see how he has performed and see how his fitness levels are.

You're joking, right? We're already struggling to give pitch time to McCarthy and Kalinic, we don't need another striker in there. The only way we could improve on what we have up front is by selling someone first.

The point is we need a new face to play with Franco. Current alternatives ain´t good enough. I´d love to get rid of Benni. I meant we need better strikers not more of them. Didn´t write it clearly, sorry about that :(

Did not hear about Chavez being over...but he is up at Celtic now.

The agent involved did deals at Blackburn under Ince, but I thought he was black-listed.

Strange.

Blacklisted?

Was he involved in the Andrews deal?

hi all,

now don't all have a go at me at once but have come up with a winger with pace,good delivery that could solve our problems and make a real impact although getting him might be tricky as I think he currently plys his trade for Liverpool I think he comes from the UAE and whenever I have seen him play for Liverpool he's looked a decent player although he hardly makes the Liverpool team and with their problems a deal could well be done the player in question is Nabil El Zhar well the last I saw he was at Liverpool but could be out on loan

According to wikipedia, he's 5'5". I thought Sam liked them tall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabil_El_Zhar

Surely Sam has been here long enough to dispel myths like that now? I'd expect it from fans of other teams (except Bolton) but not our own. Obviously it's dependent on position but it won't matter what height the wingers are (Van Heerden is a good example).

Stelios was an integral part of Bolton's squad and he's only small. Givet, Chimbonda and Jacobsen aren't the biggest either, although none of them are small. I know we were after 6ft+ strikers but that's because we were trying to replace Roque.

Having said that, I wouldn't want El Zhar anywhere near our club, he's awful. Plus if we are going to bring in a wide player then they have to be left sided, we're well covered down the right hand side.

Bennie is going in January - so that leaves Kalinic and Roberts. Di Santo who is on loan and unless he signs a permanent deal - Rovers would still need a striker. Bennie is on big wages - would Di Santo expect the same? Hardly likely. Chelsea will be spending big in January and will possible shift out a few players - I hope Di Santo is one of them. But 3 strikers is not enough, at least four are required.

hi all,

now don't all have a go at me at once but have come up with a winger with pace,good delivery that could solve our problems and make a real impact although getting him might be tricky as I think he currently plys his trade for Liverpool I think he comes from the UAE and whenever I have seen him play for Liverpool he's looked a decent player although he hardly makes the Liverpool team and with their problems a deal could well be done the player in question is Nabil El Zhar well the last I saw he was at Liverpool but could be out on loan

Elrio Van Heerden is much better than El Zhar, but he aint playing. I cant believe what a waste of time, the signings of Salgado and Elrio was.

Elrio Van Heerden is much better than El Zhar, but he aint playing. I cant believe what a waste of time, the signings of Salgado and Elrio was.

gotta agree, especially with salgado, who sam apparently had to beg the board for the money to finance. BUt at moment we got basically an expensive carling cup player. Think Jacobsen is starting to look better and better, rarely makes a mistake and just cant see salgado getting more than 10 games this season.

We're not even half-way through the season yet, so there's still plenty of time for both of them to make an impression. I was surprised to see that Elrio is 26, though. For some reason, I had him down as a bit younger than that.

I like Salgado and still believe that Sam didn't make a mistake with him. He seems to improve with every game.

On the other hand, what are the odds the board will hold up money for January sales because of a perception that we've wasted it on Salgado and Elrio?

As I read it, Dunn, Emerton, Reid, Benni, Roberts, MGP, EHD, Hoilet, Treacy and others are all possibly leaving in January or the summer. This will result in some money in and some savings. It could also gut the team (depending on who goes). Sam will need a lot of money in (or at least a willingness of the part of the board to finance) to cover the players who are leaving.

• Backroom

Said this in another thread but I will here, if I was in charge of Rovers I'd do everything in my power to bring back Bentley, sell Diouf, Pedersen, Andrews and Reid and get him in.

He could change the whole team and be perfect for Di Santo.

Shame he wouldn't come back even if we could afford.

Said this in another thread but I will here, if I was in charge of Rovers I'd do everything in my power to bring back Bentley, sell Diouf, Pedersen, Andrews and Reid and get him in.

He could change the whole team and be perfect for Di Santo.

Shame he wouldn't come back even if we could afford.

No-one in their right mind would pay money for Diouf, and sad to say, reid neither.

When does Diouf's contract run out, and is he really on 40k/week?

Surely he will have something to prove? Bad attitude or not he's better than most of what we have.

I don't think it matters that he like a sulk. He has a big opinion of himself and seems to have an issue with not being the star of the side. If he came here he'd easily be the best player in that midfield. I suspect we'd see no bother from him all the while he remained so. If we could get a player of his quality in here it should be considered a major coup. Twice as good as anything we can boast in midfield. Attitude or not.

When i think back to the summer and the adverese reaction to the likes of Nolan, Barton and even Alan Smith it makes me laugh. Any one of them would walk into our side when fit.

• Backroom

I'd like Reo Coker here as long as it doesn't shove N'zonzi too far down the pecking order, I think that lad will be class given time.

LW and a Striker have to be priorities as well though.

January should be busy but I envisage our usual let down including the same old last day nothingness

Archived