BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

Wasn't it a case of not being able to agree a deal with Lens in time, rather than simply just getting paperwork through?

It seems strange to give a player a medical without first agreeing terms of the transfer. WHU did the same with Gudjonnson. If a club commits to giving the player a medical it then just becomes a case of doing the paper work. Having had and passed a medical that is the transfer half done - so a deal in progress.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not uncommon on transfer deadline day for everything to happen simultaneously because of time restrictions. I know, ordinarily, a fee is agreed then the medical is done, but it's not possible to do it that way with last minute deals.

If Lens were wanting us to commit to a £3.5 million future fee, like they have with Portsmouth, then I can see why it broke down there.

Those were remarkable signings by a manager with an extra special talent for great signings on a budget. To compare Sam upto that is unfair.

Because Sam never did the same with another Lancashire outfit?

F' me, Hughes is not a god! He messed up big time at City. Yes he did well for us, but I'll never forgive him for sulking for 6 months after being denied the right to speak to Newcastle.

Messed up big time? He had them two points off 4th spot and in a cup semi final.

Mancini has had an easy run of league fixtures yet has still been soundly beaten at Goodison and deservedly defeated at the KC Stadium.

F' me, Hughes is not a god! He messed up big time at City. Yes he did well for us, but I'll never forgive him for sulking for 6 months after being denied the right to speak to Newcastle.

How did he mess up ' big time' at man city. I wish rovers only lost two prem games under our manager. I think their new manager has already lost more than that. Hughes did well for Rovers. He put steel in the players to the extent they were labled bully boys etc. What have we today? players that have forgotton how to tackle, how to break down attacks.

It would be great for Rovers if Hughes came back.

Yes he expressed a desire to go to newcastle and eventually went to city. Rovers was Hughes first club managers job, a job he did well.

In his position I also would want to see if I could do better with better money available. It is called ambition - something we all have to a greater or lesser extent.

He may also have considered that he had taken Rovers, with the money restrictions on the club. as far as he could. It is my view that somehow the board should have pushed the boat out a bit further to support Mark Hughes - it would have been worthwhile taking an extra loan from the trustees, if it was possible to do. If Rovers had beated Birmingham on the last day of the season, it was possible, though slim, that Hughes would have stayed at Rovers. Mark Hughes, since Kenny Daglish, was the best manager Rovers have had.

How did he mess up ' big time' at man city. I wish rovers only lost two prem games under our manager. I think their new manager has already lost more than that. Hughes did well for Rovers. He put steel in the players to the extent they were labled bully boys etc. What have we today? players that have forgotton how to tackle, how to break down attacks.

It would be great for Rovers if Hughes came back.

Yes he expressed a desire to go to newcastle and eventually went to city. Rovers was Hughes first club managers job, a job he did well.

In his position I also would want to see if I could do better with better money available. It is called ambition - something we all have to a greater or lesser extent.

He may also have considered that he had taken Rovers, with the money restrictions on the club. as far as he could. It is my view that somehow the board should have pushed the boat out a bit further to support Mark Hughes - it would have been worthwhile taking an extra loan from the trustees, if it was possible to do. If Rovers had beated Birmingham on the last day of the season, it was possible, though slim, that Hughes would have stayed at Rovers. Mark Hughes, since Kenny Daglish, was the best manager Rovers have had.

Some managers should realise where there levels are, Hughes was great at Rovers, he signed some great players and some bad ones too but he knew how to get the best out of the players.

I dont think he did a bad job at city although I am constantly reminded that he did by a city fan mate of mine, to me with the players he signed ( excluding Robinho) he tried to create a balance of hard working players and a bit of flair and creativity I have no doubt that given the time Hughes would have made city a top four regular club.

In comparing City and Man utd I find it to separate the teams on paper so what is the difference? After seeing the departure of Ronaldo I felt sure Utd would struggle this season and city would flourish but I was wrong, how have united done as well as they have, surely its not Fergie.

I really am bamboozled by this as there are only a few of utds starters that impress me on a regular basis. Are the players better than how I rate them or is fergie a managerial genius? or is it the fact that if any player goes there they have to play to full potential because no-one is bigger than the manager.

On paper United simply to me are not as good as others so how do they do it?

I don't think he was denied at all. I think NUFC simply chose to look elsewhere.

But it seems that he was denied funds in Jan cos BRFC thought that it was useless giving him money to sign the likes of Diarra and Huddleston on the (what seems now) cheap if he was wanting away.

Big mistakes as it turns out.

Well part of Man City's problem is the blend of players, with United's team having far longer to gel. Man City seem to have too many players in each position, with each player fearing for their position and struggling to get a regular run out in the team, bar a few.

Yep. I would say player for player there is a strong argument that city have a better pool of talent than Utd. However on the other hand they do not have the fluidity and work rate of the Old Trafford outfit.

They way which Ferguson blends limited grafters like Fletcher, Park, O'Shea, Brown etc into his team is part of his genius. Man City are going to find it hard to replicate that team ethic due to the money pressure and lack of consistent management.

Not a god, but he did a pretty damn good job in the transfer market for us.

Hughes did a fine job yes, but how many youngsters were introduced into the 1st team by him? With Sam, we have seen the likes of Jones, Hoilett, Olsson, Linganzi, Di Santo, Kalinic and Nzonzi emerge. It takes time to build a decent team, when you bring in young lads, but in a couple of years time we will see the benefit of it. Right now, its about Sam keeping us up and im confident he can do that.

I don't think he was denied at all. I think NUFC simply chose to look elsewhere.

But it seems that he was denied funds in Jan cos BRFC thought that it was useless giving him money to sign the likes of Diarra and Huddleston on the (what seems now) cheap if he was wanting away.

Big mistakes as it turns out.

If only the trust had agreed to back Hughes as they have Sam.

Hughes did a fine job yes, but how many youngsters were introduced into the 1st team by him? With Sam, we have seen the likes of Jones, Hoilett, Olsson, Linganzi, Di Santo, Kalinic and Nzonzi emerge. It takes time to build a decent team, when you bring in young lads, but in a couple of years time we will see the benefit of it. Right now, its about Sam keeping us up and im confident he can do that.

account hacked??

Irrelevant, you can't build a team overnight.

Whilst in the main I would agree, this chap has proved its possible My link, just a pity we'll most likely never see him at Ewood.

Do we know who exactly it was that effectively killed the goose that laid the golden egg Majiball?

Nope and we probably never will.

I've always wondered what would have happened though had we signed Diarra from Arsenal.

At the end of the day he left and regardless of how he did, he did. Sam's our manager now and even he's managed to get the trust to agree to fund a good young potential player, something no other manager has been able to do.

However I'll believe it when this chap signs in the summer as I hope it wasn't just a one of offer?

What youngsters did he have??

Jones has barely played whilst he's looked promsing he has a long road yet, Hoillet wasn't Hughes in charge when he signed? Olsson who signed him then? Linganzi, this one makes me laugh we haven't even seen him play yet, he could be pants. Di Santo granted pity he's not our player. Kalinic yes no issues there, neither with N'zonzi.

So can Hughes claim two of those? He certainly gave Olsson some pitch time he just wasn't ready then.

At the end of the day he left and regardless of how he did, he did. Sam's our manager now and even he's managed to get the trust to agree to fund a good young potential player, something no other manager has been able to do.

However I'll believe it when this chap signs in the summer as I hope it wasn't just a one of offer?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, who is this chap?

Archived