BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

Shocked that Sam has said Benjani was our first choice. Glad it didnt work out.

Nope Bobby, he said that targets abroad were looked at first, when it became clear that due to the time frame it wouldn't be possible to get them, then Benjani was contacted.

Very honest interview from Sam, shame that a replacement could not be signed, as I said previously this something that should not have been allowed to happen. However, it is time to move on and hope that the remaining strikers are able to step up to the plate and deliver.

Can we wait until we've lost a few games and/or not managed to score a single goal for a run of games before we start talking about us being weaker and the disastrous transfer window?

As I said, I'm glad we didn't replace Benni right now. We would've been forced into a panic buy to replace him with someone just as useless. I would much rather we go on without him, finish in a decent position and then hope for more investment in the following season, so we can actually bring a decent striker in. We can only talk about us needing to have signed a replacement if our next run of games is terrible.

Yeh sure but a stopped watch is right twice a day.

Be reasonable, try comparing all your 'goods' with all the 'bads' over the same time frame and I stick to my view that January isn't the best time to do business. The argument is rather like saying my granny smoked forty a day until she died at age 102 so smoking isn't that bad for you. Falls down as a debating point because you can't base the whole smoking argument on a statistical sample of 1.

We're well shut of Benny and much better off without Dindane and Benjani IMO. If money was no object then sure take a punt but we ain't got none so folding was the percentage call and Sam/JW did the right thing. Sure they may end up scoring a bag full between them going forward but standing right here right now we made the right call (IMO). Plus as said before, we keep our money and add it to what we may get for the close season ... could well end up better off overall.

I didn't say there were no bad purchases, but you said that there were no good January purchases, and were wrong. I could also give you a large number of summer purchases who were crap.

We might have a good enough strike force to stay up, but that's not the point. We shouldn't be worried about staying up, we should be pushing for top 10 and the prize money that comes with it.

He's basically all but admitting to the fact that our transfer window was a total mess.

1) Targets weren't decided on quickly enough.

2) Deals weren't arranged in the order in which they should have been.

3) If we needed a replacement for Benni but were running out of time, why did we have to sell him?

Mr Transfer basically cocked it up big-time. I have zero faith in his ability to come up with original targets for this summer. Expect us to go for whoever is being looked at by anyone else and probably to look almost exclusively at domestic targets. We'll overpay for a 30-something striker who was never that good and we may just get another Salgado in as well so that Allardyce can try to cling onto his reputation.

Clearly out of touch with the transfer market and not using his scouting networks or contacts properly and it is costing the club. 6 months of treading water ahead simply because we weren't able to identify one solid target in 6 months of scouting? Not impressed.

As usual.

People who are screaming out for transfers to take place and that the board should let Sam have more money should just look at Pompey. Do not take our financial position for granted. We cannot afford to waste good money on poor players.

Missing out on Benjani/Dindane and Beattie for whatever reason is a good thing. They're not good players and were not worth the money that we would have to have spent to get them.

Missing out on Benjani/Dindane and Beattie for whatever reason is a good thing. They're not good players and were not worth the money that we would have to have spent to get them.

Granted. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't have signed anyone.

Sam's just told you in his interview that we are weaker. There's no getting away from that.

I am quite bemused by what some of you really expect. Do you really think that Sam and his staff are able to tap up some young future dynamic striker, who can be bought for next to nothing and then sold for a king's ransom? Be real! Sam has to say to that striker that he may or may not be in for him...it depends on if we sell our current striker...oh yea, please ignore the offers of other EPL teams because they will pay you more than what we can afford...and one more thing...if I don't sign you now, I might be back for you later...and then again I may not...depends on if the supporters' messageboard can get me fired...and don't let your agent say anything because it may damage my credibility! Oh yea, and if you could play in four or five other positions, and not be interested in a move to a bigger club in the future...one more thing...could you help me sell Keith Andrews to your present club...and buy all the fans a pint as well...boy ain't life grand! Sam Allardyce has a great job but too many on this messageboard begrudge him what he is qualified for...we all had the chance to pursue the same...but we didn't! Time to change the music and play a happy tune.

And while I'm having a rant...to the people that keep saying that members who post on this board and do not attend the games do not have valid opinions. Some of us were fans and attended games at Ewood before they were thought of. We are all fans and support the Rovers.

The paperwork/emails or whatever were allegedly ready before the deadline. Our deal just broke down completely due to their demanded fee. BUT I agree, that it's bloody stupid and that the deadline should be the DEADLINE like in every other walk of life.

And what about Adam Johnson to Man City now that is a joke as he didn't turn up in Manchester until mid afternoon then signed about 7pm the whole systems a joke imo!!

Granted. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't have signed anyone.

Sam's just told you in his interview that we are weaker. There's no getting away from that.

Are we weaker without Benni, well yes. Would we have improved with either Dindane, Benjani or Beattie? Hardly. In terms of options obviously, but in terms of quality those three players do not possess anything which we do not have.

As far as i see it we would have been weaker regardless of whether we had signed one of those three players. The fact that we didnt means that we have more money to spend in the summer.

I don't understand why people are saying we "dodged bullets" with Beattie and Dindane, it's not like they were being forced on us were they? We were after them.

I am glad we didn't sign them because they are poor players and would be another drain on our wage bill.

Let's hope we don't go back in for them and that we have a bit to spend in the summer.

I don't understand why people are saying we "dodged bullets" with Beattie and Dindane, it's not like they were being forced on us were they? We were after them.

I am glad we didn't sign them because they are poor players and would be another drain on our wage bill.

Let's hope we don't go back in for them and that we have a bit to spend in the summer.

As fans, without having any control as to who the club goes after, we dodged the bullets. As you say, my greatest fear is that we go after one of them in the summer but i guess there is no point in getting worried about that just yet.

As fans, without having any control as to who the club goes after, we dodged the bullets. As you say, my greatest fear is that we go after one of them in the summer but i guess there is no point in getting worried about that just yet.

My greatest fear is getting relegated and signing David Nugent, but each to their own.

Expect us to go for whoever is being looked at by anyone else and probably to look almost exclusively at domestic targets. We'll overpay for a 30-something striker who was never that good and we may just get another Salgado in as well so that Allardyce can try to cling onto his reputation.

It's a question of perspective, surely this is an overly sour view.

If the EPL is the best league in the world then by definition only players of above a certain standard can be considered for purchase. That makes a pretty small pool to fish in. There are 20 clubs throwing their lines into that pond, some with great big juicy worms on the hook, some with small but lively maggots and then there's the likes of us with bare hooks trying to snag something.

Foul hooking something in this context is landing the players you describe, ie old stars who need reviving. But we have no money for bait so what do you do? There are a few other 'boracic lint' clubs out there like us so of course we're all after the same players.

The only way out of this is doing what Sam is doing i.e. identifying the young kids with potential i.e. unearthing the Samba's, Nzonzi's, Hoiletts, Di Santo's, Olsson's, Linganzi's of this world.

Find something positive to say for G*d's sake, these negative waves are frying my brain.

I'm starting to share Eddie's cynicism towards our transfer dealings. Sam has been at loggerheads with Benni for awhile now, and should have prepared for his departure. You put your feelers out months ahead, get deals on standby. Instead we sold Benni and resorted to Premier League cast-offs that our rivals were sniffing around, when our scouting network are being paid to find players from far and wide. It's WC year, it can't be too difficult to attract players to Ewood Park with the prospect of first-team PL football. Yes, we dodged a bullet with the likes of Beattie, Benjani etc, but that doesn't mean we're stronger for it. We've still lost an experienced striker, whose only replacement could be construed as Basturk - another player ridden with injuries.

• Backroom

We signed two, potentitally quality, players on frees.

On the other side of the coin, we have sold a proven quality striker and brought in a past it crock and a kid

(This isn't my view as such its just to show there is as much chance of it as your post)

Foul hooking something in this context is landing the players you describe, ie old stars who need reviving. But we have no money for bait so what do you do? There are a few other 'boracic lint' clubs out there like us so of course we're all after the same players.

The only way out of this is doing what Sam is doing i.e. identifying the young kids with potential i.e. unearthing the Samba's, Nzonzi's, Hoiletts, Di Santo's, Olsson's, Linganzi's of this world.

Find something positive to say for G*d's sake, these negative waves are frying my brain.

Or do as Cloughie did and sign the washed up and/or troublesome talents for next to nowt. Clough would have loved to sign EHD, Alan Smith, and Joey Barton. He'd have got em for nowt, 1 of em would have failed and been despatched but the other two who have been rejuvenated.

He might even have got something out of Franny Jeffers.

I'm starting to share Eddie's cynicism towards our transfer dealings. Sam has been at loggerheads with Benni for awhile now, and should have prepared for his departure. You put your feelers out months ahead, get deals on standby. Instead we sold Benni and resorted to Premier League cast-offs that our rivals were sniffing around, when our scouting network are being paid to find players from far and wide. It's WC year, it can't be too difficult to attract players to Ewood Park with the prospect of first-team PL football. Yes, we dodged a bullet with the likes of Beattie, Benjani etc, but that doesn't mean we're stronger for it. We've still lost an experienced striker, whose only replacement could be construed as Basturk - another player ridden with injuries.

Every club has scouting networks. A lot of clubs need strikers. Victor Moses aside, there's not a single dtriker who any other side bought who I wouldve been happy with - and even Moses wouldve been a bit of a gamble for a club with our resources.

I think with things as they are we should stay up comfortably, and that money can be used on summer replacements far more effectively.

Archived