BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be so cocky.

Injuries to our remaining 5 goal strike force and you'll find out if we miss Benni. BTW - our one goal wonder has actually scored 17 goals over the last season and a half.

Cocky :lol: Good 'un den.

It would make no odd's if he'd scored 17 goals this season alone. The fat lad was on strike. No use what so ever and to get £2m in the current climate is great business. Sadly the situation with the work permit was dragged out to the last minute, that left Sam no time at all to replace him and rather than sign a striker for the sake of it he chose to keep hold of the money for the sake of the club.

If we do get injuries to our strikeforce in the run in we have a few players who can stand in as afront man, players who are fit and will give 100%.

Every now and then you give a nice and blatant example of why myself and quite a few others think your are, in actual fact, a complete bell end.

That's a little harsh Shillito, just because somebody doesn't have the same opinion and speaks his mind doesn't make him qualify for a bell end does it?

Mellison is simply being optimistic and has every right to be. Fighting his corner after repeatedly being told he is wrong is healthy for a messageboard such as this. there are no wrongs and no rights, just opinions.

Selling a first team striker who has no interest in getting fit and being on strike whilst adding £2m to the coffers and not replacing him is no disaster.

That's a little harsh Shillito, just because somebody doesn't have the same opinion and speaks his mind doesn't make him qualify for a bell end does it?

Mellison is simply being optimistic and has every right to be. Fighting his corner after repeatedly being told he is wrong is healthy for a messageboard such as this. there are no wrongs and no rights, just opinions.

Selling a first team striker who has no interest in getting fit and being on strike whilst adding £2m to the coffers and not replacing him is no disaster.

It wasn't his opinion, it was his little comment i quoted.

How? By buying a striker who scores no goals rather than one gloriously easy one?

While I know that's the main issue, I think he'll come good. And while he doesn't score, he would do more of Kalinic's work for him and free Kalinic to finish moves off. That's what I'd guess anyway. They do say every signings a gamble after all. He's only 20 and I think he'll come good.

Come on mate, your winding him up now,

We 'lost' an overweight 32yr old striker who'd scored one league goal all season and who had no intention of playing for us ever again on the last day of the season and you want us to replace him?

We also added 2 midfielders (that everybody has been screaming out for) in the transfer window. The same transfer window as we were planning on making no signings whatsoever.

You seriously want us to make 'gamble' signings too? did you used to be part of the board at Pompey?

I assume you are not involved in the running of a business...

One goal can be the difference needed when each place in the league is worth £750K. Remember Per Pedersen?

One on a short term deal (sensible) and the other one who could be one for the future, but no guaranteed impact. Still, all for making signings in that department.

I think it's a bigger gamble not replacing someone who, when on form, bangs in goals for fun. One could always argue Benni will never get back to his best though, but I believe he still has a few goals in him.

I don't run a business, no. I assume you hide your money inside your matras...

It wasn't his opinion, it was his little comment i quoted.

I made that comment because you told me I was wrong. Opinions cannot be wrong as they are subjective. Even you must know that. Which means unlucky was right in what he said. And if you think I'm being condescending then take a look at your own posts and you'll see why.

One goal can be the difference needed when each place in the league is worth £750K. Remember Per Pedersen?

One on a short term deal (sensible) and the other one who could be one for the future, but no guaranteed impact. Still, all for making signings in that department.

I think it's a bigger gamble not replacing someone who, when on form, bangs in goals for fun. One could always argue Benni will never get back to his best though, but I believe he still has a few goals in him.

I don't run a business, no. I assume you hide your money inside your matras...

Good reply Torgier. :tu:

I'm just glad we are more cautious that the likes of pompey when it comes to spending what little we have got.

Sam did try for Benjani on loan but the papers didn't go through on time so he went to Sunderland.

• Backroom

Santa Cruz yes, but Bents? he'd be the first name on the team sheet every week!

Yep, Bentley hasn't even played badly at Spurs he's just under a prat of a manager.

He shows enough every time he plays to show he would be most likely our biggest player by a distance if we could have got him back.

Good reply Torgier. :tu:

I'm just glad we are more cautious that the likes of pompey when it comes to spending what little we have got.

Sam did try for Benjani on loan but the papers didn't go through on time so he went to Sunderland.

Although it's still frustrating that we can't buy top shelf players like Shearer, Sutton etc. I also generally appreciate how our club is being run within the tight budget. I just didn't agree in this particular situation, and I think we should have had a player lined up before making a last ditch attempt for Benjani. I'm glad I don't have to operate in the chaotic transfer market though...and for not being a Pompey fan. ;)

We signed Benni in 2006 for £2.5m - we milked him like an old cow & then 4 years later....older, fatter & slower - we sold him in the slowest transfer market for £2m+ and saved on his big wages for 6 months!

Now I dont doubt he had talent, but why did selling Benni not make any sense?!

Let's hope we are not sitting here crying out for someone of Benni's talent between now and mid-May then.

Although it's still frustrating that we can't buy top shelf players like Shearer, Sutton etc. I also generally appreciate how our club is being run within the tight budget. I just didn't agree in this particular situation, and I think we should have had a player lined up before making a last ditch attempt for Benjani. I'm glad I don't have to operate in the chaotic transfer market though...and for not being a Pompey fan. ;)

I agree, we were spoilt in the 90's and I'd love to have a bit of the financial clout we had back then but we are stable and we have to be glad of that.

I think if the Big Mac deal had gone through a week earlier we would have found ourselves with a replacement. It's unlucky the way things panned out. The quality of players available wouldn't have offered much more than cover to our current squad though and if a good out and out striker was available the likes of Sunderland and West Ham would probably have out bid us.

The restraints of the transfer window make it extremely difficult for a club like ours. I'm sure the scouting team are working on our summer deals as we speak. Again, a lot hinges on current contract issues with the likes of MGP and Junior. Once we know where we stand with them we'll be in more control over our transfer destiny.

I think tying MGP and Junior down to new long term contracts will be good for the club, to replace a player of MGP's ability would cost £m's and we know what he is capable of, especially in his current role.

Let's hope we are not sitting here crying out for someone of Benni's talent between now and mid-May then.

We tend to play 1 upfront.....now between now and the end of the season we have Kalinic, Di Santo, Roberts & Hoilett who could all play there...and Samba if need be.

Can hardly see us being short of strikers between now and the summer...and if that happens then its just bad luck!

We tend to play 1 upfront.....now between now and the end of the season we have Kalinic, Di Santo, Roberts & Hoilett who could all play there...and Samba if need be.

Can hardly see us being short of strikers between now and the summer...and if that happens then its just bad luck!

We're short of goalscoreres Hughesy. If we just want bodies up front then absolutely anybody will do. Not the point is it.

bellamy - we are the only club capable of taming him and keeping him under control, although it was probably largely down to mark hughes but would love to see him back!

It was entirely down to Mark Hughes. The club didn't tame him nor lure him here. It was down to Sparky and Sparky alone. No way in hell he'd come back.

Archived