BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelski

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very sad to say this, but I'm feeling strangely mellow about this game and I think this is what has gone wrong with our club.

Under sparky, I would have been up for this one and would be genuinely optimistic that we have a fair chance and would have a good go at Chelsea. But right now, I have no such feelings. No hope, but no dread either; just a resignation that we would roll over and die. It just feels like the club is suffering from a cancer and is dying slowly.

That's a very bleak view vyeo, but putting the finances to one side for the minute, I think there's a bit of a viscious circle here.

- We naturally don't expect to get anything from the Top 4 - in league or cup

- The crowds dwindle as people lose the enthusiasm for the fixture

- Many of those that do go are half expecting to lose but are hopeful of an upset but lose enthusiams for the match

- There is less singing from the supporters and less vociferous support of the team (it's already quite in the Jack Walker and Riverside but this even translates to the BBE)

- The players aren't given the lift and confidence boost that they need to be able to play above their norm

- The songs that ARE sung tend to be aimed at Burnley or other negative chants which don't catch on

- The voices of the negative shouts at our own players and those booing Andrews are no longer drowned out

- The players lose heart and don't 'fight' for the match

- We ultimately capitulate and lose

Repeat ad nauseum

Occassionally a fixture like the Burnley one comes around and we go into remission for a while as we all join together in support - and not just after we've scored.

There are times when being in the crowd at Ewood is one of the most exciting, stimulating and enjoyable places to be.

At other times it can really get you down.

The players get paid an awful lot of money to perform but (apart from rare exceptions, Dunn, Tugay) have no real love for the club.

The fans have been given a massive opportunity, which will not last for ever in terms of very cheap matchday prices. Not EVEN just season ticket holders. Yet people cannot muster up the effort to turn out to watch THEIR team - the team which they do, or should, have a lover for.

The players of course play a big part in making the game entertaining but the fans can play an even BIGGER part by making the experience of being at Ewood entertaining.

If our support improves, I'm CONVINCED our on the field performances will do to. As I said it's a viscious circle but it is OUR responsibilities as fans of BRFC to kick start the improvement.

One fan can make a difference, he/she just needs to believe.

brfc_jwal001.gif

But then again there's a risk in every cup game that this could happen? If that was the case then why bother entering the competition in the first place? Rather give your place up to a smaller team that would fight tooth and nail for a place in the Semi's or in the competition in some cases.

We are never going to win the league and our only way of getting silverware is the League Cup and FA Cup. A win could also boost our performances in the league, as it would do our confidence a world of good. Look on the bright side.

I agree, but I was merely playing devil's advocate. There would be no shame if we went out against Chelsea having given it our best shot. However, some fans are worried (based on our recent trend against the top four) that we'll roll over and have our bellies tickled, which is why they'd rather give the reserves a shot.

Id go with a strong but experimental side.

-------------Robbo--------------

Salgado--Samba--Givet--Chimbonda

-----Emerton--NZonzi--Grella----

--------------Benni-------------

--------Hoilett---Kalinic-------

You can't seriously be advocating an 'experimental' side consisting of three forward players who have all of about 90 minutes playing time combined so far this season? Against, arguably, the best side in the world right now and in the most important game of the season thus far?

Jisty i agree with your post, The problem is a lot of Rovers fans are very disheartened with the complete spankings by the big teams. If we played and showed some heart and fighting spirit but lost you'd think there'd be a chance of getting a win. But you just know we'll concede within 10 mins and roll over. My personal view is the Players should first encourage the fans and we'll respond, The way it is lately is we'll start terribly then the 'Get into em' chant starts.

You can't seriously be advocating an 'experimental' side consisting of three forward players who have all of about 90 minutes playing time combined so far this season? Against, arguably, the best side in the world right now and in the most important game of the season thus far?

To be honest I think that side is about as good as what we have at the moment.

I agree with Hughsey, although I would play Chimbo right back and Olsson left back. We need full backs who get forward if we are going to play a midfield that narrow.

Personally, I feel we need to play our best and most experienced players available. We need to play a sensible and fairly defensive formation and look not to concede early doors (because, when we do, we always crumble and roll over).

Robinson

Jacobsen / Nelsen / Samba / Givet

Emerton / Grella / N'Zonzi / Diouf

Dunn

Roberts

I've watched Roberts give Terry and Carvalho a torrid time in the past. If Dunn is fit enough to play, he must because he is the kind of player who can score a peach out of nowhere and against the run of play. We need height, strength and competent defending behind him to stifle the Chelsea attacking threat. Jacobsen and Givet aren't the most attack-minded full backs, but they are solid defensively and won't let much past them.

Set out like we're playing for a draw and, if we're still in the game with 30 minutes to go, then we can mix it up with the likes of McCarthy, Kalinic and Hoilett.

Attack Chelsea from the off and they will batter us. On the weekend, Arsenal were the better team for me first half , but Chelsea soaked up the pressure and absolutely killed them in the second with clinical finishing and strength up front. And we don't have the quality to dictate possession or create chances like Arsenal.

Is that it? 13,000 for a quarter final is pathetic!!

I think you'll find there will be a lot more than that Hughesy come the night, also think you'll find a very determined and supportive Blackburn crowd aswell on the night.

Pauls earlier post about the Chelsea game being insignificant probably summed up how alot of fans were thinking, but many I've spoken to have thought about it, along with the really bad days and have said they'll be there tommorrow night.

Get into em and Arte et labore for tommorrow night.

Only a win matters whoever plays.

• Backroom

It's not the most important game of the season though really is it? I'm sure Sam would bookmark games against the teams around us in the league as far more important.

I'd experiment a bit, put Salgado in midfield and start with Kalinic with Benni just behind him.

Got my tickets and I'm quite relaxed about it, wont be too upset if we get beat as it's not a priority and we fully expect to be beat. A cup run is nice but survival is the aim without a doubt.

Yes best side in the world right now (probably), but I doubt very much we will face their 100% strongest line-up. I hope not anyway!

As for the experiment of Kalinic, Hoilett & Benni. Id gives us the player in the hole (ala Dunn) and it gives us lots of energy and pace up top to create them a threat. Roberts for all his bustle just isnt good enough...Kalinic however has potential and Benni is proven against all levels!

Just bought 2 tickets for the game tommorow night, he said we've just over 14000 tickets, not too sure if that includes the Chelsea fans though. We'll probably be looking at an attendance of around 18,000.

It must include the Chelsea sales unless we've sold 5,000 tickets today.

Without Dunny or Di Santo, Benni has to play. He can be our creative player and is probably the only player in the squad for tomorrow with the quality to unlock Chelsea. Would also like to see Kalinic start but I expect it will be Roberts up front. May not be a bad thing as Benni and Jase do play well together if given the chance. I would go for:

Robbo

Chimbonda Samba Nelsen Givet

Emerton Nzonzi Grella Diouf

McCarthy

Kalinic

Although I expect it to be more like:

Robbo

Chimbonda Samba Nelsen Givet

Diouf Emerton Nzonzi Grella Pedersen

Roberts

Hopefully we will see some of Hoilett as well as we haven't seen much of him recently. His speed and trickery may come in useful to try and upset the league leaders.

I'm going with my wife. I'm looking forward to seeing a few different faces who can maybe get the game going a bit and put some pressure on the likes of Diouf and Pedersen. I'd be over the moon if we win but not too disappointed if we lost purely because of the quality of the opposition. Chelsea are scarily good this year.

I'm going with my wife. I'm looking forward to seeing a few different faces who can maybe get the game going a bit and put some pressure on the likes of Diouf and Pedersen. I'd be over the moon if we win but not too disappointed if we lost purely because of the quality of the opposition. Chelsea are scarily good this year.

That is true, but as Wigan showed this year that they are beatable. We have to look for a win, we can't sit back an invite pressure as it'll only result in another hammering for Rovers.

I'd start Pedersen for this game as I think he'll have a point to prove to Sam. He looked decent when he did come on at the weekend and hopefully tomorrow he can grab a goal which will take us into the semis. Come on Rovers!!

Getting a bit more excited about this. I hope Rovers dont disappoint.

4-4-2 for God's sake. Give Kalinic a start. Lets see what we paid for.

Nothing to lose, so go for it. We are only 2 games away from Europe and we wont be THIS close for a long while. Grasp the opportunity management team and seize the day boys.

I'm going with my wife. I'm looking forward to seeing a few different faces who can maybe get the game going a bit and put some pressure on the likes of Diouf and Pedersen.

I can only applaud you both. She must be one hell of a lady. Could you possibly lend her to Neil McDonald for the evening?

Archived