BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Stoke

CrazyIvan

I am only happy with a point because it is better than none. I also take into consideration Rovers played on Sunday then travelled to London to play Fulham - then travelled back and played today and play again on Wednsday against Chelsea in the carling cup. I suggest that can effect energy levels etc. Stoke hadn't played since last weekend and have been a team that is hard to beat. Yes it is 2 points dropped, but it is also one point gained that keeps us further from the drop zone.

I hope you're joking. These guys are supposed to be fitter than ever before. I played football in London midweek as well, I still managed to get through 90 minutes this morning and I had to drive the 450 miles to London and back myself, immediately after driving to Edinburgh and back. AND I took time out to watch our lot at Craven Cottage which was the most infuriating bit of the whole bloody saga.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the ref had a very poor game - from both fans' perspectives - and why Di Santo got a yellow for winning the ball yet some other poor challenges went un-carded, I don't know.

I'd happily have Webb ref our matches for the rest of the season.

• Backroom

Agreed Theno, he made a couple of iffy decisions (as will any ref in any game) but showed perfect implementation of the advantage rules on a few occasions and shows a good level of common sense.

I struggle to see how Diouf stays in the team every week. I know Sam liked him at Bolton but he was a very different player then and there is no reason why he should be a favourite now. He is downright poor. He can hold a ball well but he does it to the extent where it has a negative effect on the team. He has no pace and absolutely no goal threat. Added to that he is a completely odious person. I would like him to be shifted as soon as possible but it seems he is a favourite with the management.

What do you base that statement on? Have you met him? My mate lives next door and swears that you could not wish to meet a nicer bloke.

Which is exactly the point I made when someone suggested we throw on Kalinic. Unless there's someone to create chances in the first place, changing our personnel up front wouldn't matter!

4-5-1 home or away is nothing to sneer at, provided you have the players and the organisation to play it effectively. Unfortunately it hasn't worked for us in the last few games, and like you said the much heralded 4-4-2 wasn't much better.

The problem is our lack of inspiration in the middle or out-wide whenever Dunn is unavailable/off-form.

4-4-2 or 4-5-1? I noticed today that some crosses were slung in, missed by our strikers and cleared to the edge of the box where there was not a Rovers midfielder to be seen with 10 yards. Far to often there was simply no one midfielder backing up the strikers.

I still think we have to give the manager more time and a chance to improve things in the transfer window. I just hope he has Kalinic ready to play soon because I don't think we can wait much longer...

There's a shocking contradiction ... because his last transfer window was a total disaster. Tugay could and should have stayed ... and would have stayed but for the manager. At zero additional cost.

The two players that were brought in at the highest cost in transfer fees and wages (the latter which forced the sale of Warnock - fans player of the year) have contributed absolutely nothing as we approach the January window.

Which is inexcusable.

I think we lack pace and creativity in midfield. :angry2:

We have done for years pal except now it appears to have spread throughout the team in most positions!

My heart sank when I saw the team,4-4-1-1 at home against f'kin sjoke city?...ARRRRGGHHHHHH! :angry2:

Turgid first half bereft of any guile or craft from those wearing our famous shirt.

Better second but nothing great to write home about.

Andrews,Grella,Diouf,Pedersen simply not good enough and offer too little.

It will be TOTAL foolishness to sell McCarthy with our miss-firing strikers at present.

Left Ewood cold and frustrated,why do I have a horrible feeling the aspirations of both club and supporters are being 'dumbed down'?,there just seems to be a worrying malaise about the place these days,a 'just happy to survive' mentality seems to be taking over.Will we ever see our club aspire to play in European competition again?. :unsure:

Then I read the LET and the story of our 6.5 Million pound loss on last season.....

Shyte day all round truth be told.

What do you base that statement on? Have you met him? My mate lives next door and swears that you could not wish to meet a nicer bloke.

I base it on him having spat at people in the past, been arrested for splitting his wife's lip and, more recently, his false allegations of having been the subject of racial abuse. His wannabe-Gangsta act when he goes out is also steeped in tragedy. Hardly the nicest fella around is he theno.

That's all by the way anyway. He is a poor player and doesn't bring enough to the team.

I'm surprised you rate him as highly as you do to be honest. I usually agree with your football opinions! :)

edit

There's a shocking contradiction ... because his last transfer window was a total disaster. Tugay could and should have stayed ... and would have stayed but for the manager. At zero additional cost.

The two players that were brought in at the highest cost in transfer fees and wages (the latter which forced the sale of Warnock - fans player of the year) have contributed absolutely nothing as we approach the January window.

Which is inexcusable.

I agree with your concerns to an extent. There is no doubt that Salgado was a very poor signing. I have no faith he will come good. I still think Kalinic could be a good player but he's got to be given some game time.

Sam's other signings have been decent though, Lars, Chimbonda, N'zonzi and Di Santo are all good players. If we were to sign two more good ones in January then we could have a solid second half to the season.

I can understand why some don't like Allardyce but the clubs squad had been deteriorating for 2 years before he arrived. He halted that last season and we are making slow but laboured progress this year. I would like it to be better to watch but I think that, post-Ince and with no money to spend, we have to be a bit more pragmatic.

Football is a cruel game and Rovers have to take serious stock of their squad. Yesterdays game reinforced who the weak players are and who the better ones are. This isn't a beuty pageant and sympathy gets you relegated. So lets not waste time identifying the underachievers and talentless.

Andrews, championship runaround player

Diouf I defybanyone to tell me what he adds other than slowing our attacks

Grella, sicknote. Yesterday did not seem interested after being dropped. Doesn't press the ball like Sav did.

Roberts Typical League one player. Awful at this level. Made worse by his own antics, obsesssed with tuscling with opponents and monaing for imaginaery free kicks. Has a hugely self inflated opinion of his own abilities.

Pedersen, come down to earth with a bump since his celebrity days. Championship player.

We can build a great team around Emo, Dunn, Samba, Chimbonda, di Santo, N'zonzi. And that's our problem, we are too thin on quality.

Another great crowd- 25,143.

Yes........and after reading the reports on here it seems as if they deserved much more for their money. I fear that the brave season ticket pricing initiative is in danger of being wasted. The 4500 new punters will expect a bit more entertainment than this.

I'd happily have Webb ref our matches for the rest of the season.

For the most part I agree. On the other hand, he missed two stone cold fouls against Di Santo in the box which should have gotten Di Santo a penalty kick, including Huth's 2 handed shove from behind. Also I think Samba was fouled a time or two in the box which also went unremarked upon.

My heart sank when I saw the team,4-4-1-1 at home against f'kin sjoke city?...ARRRRGGHHHHHH! :angry2:

Why? A 4-4-1 is a perfectly good attacking and defending formation. It frequently morphs into a 4-3-3 during the attack, as played by Sam at least.

Turgid first half bereft of any guile or craft from those wearing our famous shirt.

Better second but nothing great to write home about.

After my initial disappointment, I thought we played quite well. Some bad luck, yes. But we were defintely the superior side throughout the game. I'm feeling very confident about this season.

Andrews,Grella,Diouf,Pedersen simply not good enough and offer too little.

I agree, except as to Grella.

It will be TOTAL foolishness to sell McCarthy with our miss-firing strikers at present.

McCarthy is lazy and has too high of an opinion of himself. He needs to go.

Left Ewood cold and frustrated,why do I have a horrible feeling the aspirations of both club and supporters are being 'dumbed down'?,there just seems to be a worrying malaise about the place these days,a 'just happy to survive' mentality seems to be taking over.Will we ever see our club aspire to play in European competition again?. :unsure:

I think the squad played well and should have won the match. If they continue to play at this level we'll be solidly mid-table, maybe just into the top 10. Replace a few players and we'll be better than that even.

We can build a great team around Emo, Dunn, Samba, Chimbonda, di Santo, N'zonzi.

I agree 100% but would add Robinson, Givet and Grella.

We can build a great team around Emo, Dunn, Samba, Chimbonda, di Santo, N'zonzi. And that's our problem, we are too thin on quality.

That's half the problem. We built a team around Dunn, Duff, Jansen when they were 21.....Emo, Dunn and Chimbonda are all pushing 30 now. Di Santo isn't ours, so that leaves potentially Samba and Nzonzi. You could perhaps add Kalinic and Hoilett to the list but one doesn't play and the other wants out.

Samba is a man mountain and deserves some serious praise. I just wish he could be more accurate with his heading and that once in a while we would aim a free kick at someone else. He made some good stops yesterday and is really showing the world what a good CB he is.

Question is though, will he be here next year at this rate?????

I still think we have to give the manager more time and a chance to improve things in the transfer window. I just hope he has Kalinic ready to play soon because I don't think we can wait much longer...

How is Kalinic going to adjust to Premier League as Sam says he needs to if he doesn't play?

How is Kalinic going to adjust to Premier League as Sam says he needs to if he doesn't play?

I totally agree with you. Why keep on playing JR time after time when we ALL know that he has nothing to provide unless coming on as a sub. I have also wondered why Kalinic isnt on the Reserves team when he can't get gametime in the first team?

I also think he looked good when he came on against Fulham, but to only give him game time when we are 2-3 under and already given up isnt going to give him any confidence.

Yes........and after reading the reports on here it seems as if they deserved much more for their money. I fear that the brave season ticket pricing initiative is in danger of being wasted. The 4500 new punters will expect a bit more entertainment than this.

what about the old punters as well:P .The wife went to the pics and watched christmas carol and was entertained .alls we got was a scrooge game plan.

Why? A 4-4-1 is a perfectly good attacking and defending formation. It frequently morphs into a 4-3-3 during the attack, as played by Sam at least.

I THAT THAR AZ IS A TADGE TOO STRONG..WEAR A HAT....LETS SEE 1 UP FRONT WOKED SO WELL AGAINST POMPEY,4 3 3 AND WE WERE BRILLIANT,BOLTON 2 UP TOP .BRILLIANT., FULHAM 2ND HALF AWFUL AND THEN REVERT TO THE LONELY ONE AGAINST STOKE...THATS STOKE NOT MAN U ,CHELSEA OR BARCA ..STOKE FFS.IF HIS SYSTEM WAS WORKING SO WELL WHY DID HE CHANGE TO TWO UP FRONT? AND NOT PUT PEDS BEHIND SANTOS?

After my initial disappointment, I thought we played quite well. Some bad luck, yes. But we were defintely the superior side throughout the game. I'm feeling very confident about this season.

PLAYED WELL? YOU MUST HAVE A DODGY TELLY ...IT WAS ABSOLUTE INSOMNIA.

McCarthy is lazy and has too high of an opinion of himself. He needs to go.

BASED ON ? HES OUR BEST STRIKER BY FAR AND HAS BEEN TREATED SHABBILY AS WAS DERBS.

I think the squad played well and should have won the match. If they continue to play at this level we'll be solidly mid-table, maybe just into the top 10. Replace a few players and we'll be better than that even.

SHOULD HAVE WON? WHY? THEY SHOULD HAVE SCORED AT LEAST 5!!! US 3.

Samba is a man mountain and deserves some serious praise. I just wish he could be more accurate with his heading and that once in a while we would aim a free kick at someone else. He made some good stops yesterday and is really showing the world what a good CB he is.

Question is though, will he be here next year at this rate?????

Probably not. We do have bills to pay and we all know that we can never hold on to our best players .... like every other club in the world except Real Madrid btw. It's dog eat dog in football and we are only a med sized dog. Trick is to continually work to unearth new talent to develop.

Probably not. We do have bills to pay and we all know that we can never hold on to our best players .... like every other club in the world except Real Madrid btw. It's dog eat dog in football and we are only a med sized dog. Trick is to continually work to unearth new talent to develop.

Your right he will probably move on in the summer for a good fee and we'll be left with less than half to spend on his replacement.

You'll never get any argument from me about unearthing new talent and developing them, it would just be nice to see them given a chance on the pitch so they can actually develop.

Guess we have to pray to god that Cannon can get the academy working ASAP.

Your right he will probably move on in the summer for a good fee and we'll be left with less than half to spend on his replacement.

You'll never get any argument from me about unearthing new talent and developing them, it would just be nice to see them given a chance on the pitch so they can actually develop.

Guess we have to pray to god that Cannon can get the academy working ASAP.

Bin the Academy completely and improve the scouting network

Which is inexcusable.

The transfer window before that was the most inexcusable but I don't remember you complaining.-----we lost Freidal and Bentley and gained who? Grella, Andrews and Robinson! I agree with you about Salgado though but not prepared to write off Kalinic yet.

And surely Tugay's time had come. Course he would have stayed if he could--45 mins here and there for thousands a week! Who wouldn't? Answer---Salgado!!

Archived