BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Stoke

CrazyIvan

Really, Den? Are we watching the same team? Grella added a touch of class when he came on. If he could stay fit he'd vastly improve our pathetic midfield.

I wonder if we are Exiled Rover. Grella was abysmal. He can't pass a ball very well, he can't tackle and he can't get near the opposition. All in my opinion of course. With him and KA in the side, we wouldn't get out of the championship.

EDIT: see Roverthehill's post above. Posted the same time as me.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

F*****G Andrews. Minus infinity/10.

Come off it, Andrews made some great balls and did some good defensive work, first half he was as good as anybody for us.

One time he got the ball and people were having a go at him straight away almost hoping he messed up, he then played a world class ball to Di Santo.

Poor bloke can win with some people. He was by no means great but nowhere near as bad as you want him to be.

Diouf is such a bad player, every bloody week it is tripe. Yet people still scream "Diouuuuf" like he's some sort of God.

:rolleyes:

Am I alone in thinking EHD didn't play badly? He might not have been dazzling but he worked the full back and sent over a steady stream of crosses that no one was able to profit from.

Worst players in my book were....

In 2nd place... KA who twice in the first half was played in behind the defence and both times made absolutely woeful attempts at crossing the ball from the by-line. Rest of the time he offered little.

And in 1st place Jason Roberts. I honestly feel that if Dunn had gone off and we had put no one on it wouldn't have made any difference. Apart from clattering Faye twice he was bloody woeful. Dunny's injury and that formation surely made MacArthy the most obvious replacement to provide some trickery and creativity. Di santo's performance also seemed to deteriorate after Roberts came on.

Apart from that I think Ryan Nelsen although defensively sound had put his boots on the wrong feet. His normally crap distribution plumbed new depths of crapness today.

MoM to me a toss up between Chimbonda and Emerton. Those two linked well and provided plenty of problems down the right for the opposition. Unfortunately our strikers are too wasteful to take advantage.

3rd on the rails was Samba who as usual gave a strong and determined display.

On the plus side there was lots of huff and puff and we did rattle the post but Stoke created the clearer chances and to a neutral observer prob should have won. I'd expect most teams would have put away at least one of those chances. If I'd been a stoke fan and seen the chances missed I would have been disappointed. Viewed in that context one point is a bonus.

One time he got the ball and people were having a go at him straight away almost hoping he messed up, he then played a world class ball to Di Santo.

I'll grant you that. Di Santo killed that ball too well and seemed to almost overrun it..... Thats two one on ones that he's missed in two matches btw.

• Backroom

I make it three in three Theno, had one V Bolton too, also he had one V sunderland at 0-0 as well.

The lad doesn't seem to be able to finish, he's still young though so it could come

One of the criticisms of Andrews was that he can never create anything for us, yet we saw against Fulham and now against Stoke that he can play some superb penetrating passes.

Sorry mate but that is utter boll***s.Go to the game and suffer with the rest of us rather than defending that ar*ehole on here.

• Backroom

As an aside Pedersen looked good when he came on, whipped in a couple of dangerous balls and a great throw which Sorenson dropped but nobody gambled on. Had a good chance which 3 years ago he would have scored though.

MoM to me a toss up between Chimbonda and Emerton. Those two linked well and provided plenty of problems down the right for the opposition. Unfortunately our strikers are too wasteful to take advantage.

3rd on the rails was Samba who as usual gave a strong and determined display.

Emerton then Nzonzi for me Gord. Nzonzi is having no trouble at all at this standard and has a good future in front of him.

Sorry mate but that is utter boll***s.Go to the game and suffer with the rest of us rather than defending that ar*ehole on here.

I suffered as well. But it doesnt make some of the balls that Andrews played any less good, or less penetrating.

My feet are still numb though.

I have to say I was shocked by the 4-5-1 formation at home again especially after the 1st half v Pompey, but was willing to watch and see what happened. I thought we started off ok but kept making errors, not sure how Whitehead got through one on one.

Thankfully they were wasteful with their perfect opportunities that they had. I feel in a way it is 2 points dropped but we were fortunate they didn't put away their opportunities. We had a lot of close chances but we still need someone who will be in the box to get on the end of crosses which we didn't have today.

Roberts I would personally keep, he causes problems to the opposition if he had a main striker to play off who could put away chances. Diouf is the one I would get rid of, he has one speed and that is slow. He makes every break away we have come to nothing as by the time he's stopped messing around the opponents have enough back to deal with it. Di Santo needs to learn how to get on the end of crosses, if he gets that he'll be top class as his hold up and work rate are good.

I called Emerton for MOTM before it was announced, he's the only one when Dunn went over who looked like creating anything, he has pace and a great final ball at times.

Final thing I was very disappointed with some fans today in the Darwen End where I was sat. Every time Stoke sung anything they were turned round making gestures etc it's not what we need. When they are singing rubbish about us it's just because we are enjoying a spell on top, lets get behind the team in this instance instead of gesticulating to the oppositions. Who ended up throwing a lighter at the end of the game!

No I think Andrews is a terrible footballer. Grella is currently better than N'Zonzi, though the Frenchman has a bright future if he applies himself. He's done well to step up from the French second division to the Prem and look relatively accomplished whilst doing so, but until Grella took charge of the midfield in the second half N'Zonzi was hopeless - every ball was backwards or sideways and he never made a forward run.

Down at the gorund early today with a view to picking my Chelsea tickets up, getting on the ground and sampling a couple of pints with the obligatory free pie.

I almost choked on my Chicken Balti (new recipe) pie when I heard the team being read out. 4-5-1 set out quickly followed by Mr McDonald telling us on the tv that he had spoken to Sam and that this formation had served us so well at home that he had to go for it once again.

A midfield of Emerton Andrews, Dunny, Diuof and N'Zonzi with Di Santo on is own up front against 4 solid performing defenders led by Huth, a vastly experienced defender who has seen service with Germany and Chelsea. I could see the tactic straight away FAILING from the off.

HOW ANYONE CAN EXPECT AN INEXPERIENCED CENTRE FORWARD LIKE F Di SANTO TO GET ANYTHING ON HIS OWN AGAINST 4 DEFENDERS IS UNBELIEVABLE AT BEST, NIAIVE AND NOTHING SHORT OF INCOMPETENT MANAGEMENT.

Stoke City have only conceded 8 goals such is the ferocity of their defending this season so just how Rovers were going to breach it with a single forward certainly begs a question or two.

I then found my self asking how is that midfield going to work and looking at the bench how could it be changed if things went wrong. I still havent found the answer to my questions.

Yes, we all know the record it goes like this, K Andrews is bloody awful, rubbish, shyte or whatever. I want to make this clear for the last time EVER.

HE IS NOT A PREMIER LEAGUE MIDFIELDER HE IS A LIABILITY.

Granted, Keith played a great ball to Frank who again saw fit to hit the keeper rather than the net, he also cleared the ball to safety in a goal mouth scramble. After that, all he did was create havoc in our own midfield and defence.

As the game started, it huffed and puffed, and during that first 20 minutes, I have to say that I found myself thinking it was worse than the opening salvo versus Pompy. The only saving grace was that Stoke didnt score a goal.

Then, the worst thing that could ever happen to Rovers 4 weeks shy of the transfer window, David Dunn goes and gets himself injured. We await the injury report and if its long term, Rovers are going to find December a very long and lonely month without him. His exit allowed Rovers to bring on Roberts to seemingly partner Frank up front.

A lack of width, pace, effort, togetherness, no pass and move, players not winning the second ball, players giving the ball away, no covering, no movement and NO NOTHING gave Stoke the impetus to come and look for a goal. They werent that better than Rovers just a little bit more organised. Still we perservered with the 4-5-1 formation and by hook or by crook we survived the first 45 minutes without conceding.

All in all it was the second worst 45 minutes of football in 10 years. It simply had to change for the better.

During the interval we saw Grella and Benni warm up frenetically, more changes were afoot. I cannot beging to imagine how the half time team talk went.

As the teams came out for the second half, Grella thankfully replaced the inept Andrews. I am still wondering just who is the worst out of the two of them !

Anyhow 4-4-2 was the formation now and hope returned to my thoughts that Rovers could go out and sneak the 3 points and take us into the upper echelons of the league, and this in the knowledge that Burnley ahd already shipped 3 goals at Wham FC.

The game improved marginally, Rovers played some good touches but still somehow managed to let Stoke have the upper hand. They should have scored at least 4 goals before N'Zonzi hit the post just after an acrobatic effort from our skipper was saved on the line by the Stoke keeper.

Thats about as good as it got for Rovers, oh yes, until Spit made his exit to be replaced by MGP. Oh yes, nearly forgot to mention that MGP had a great chance with a header but went straight instead of going for goal.

Still, Stoke had some even better chances to win the game, but they didnt and as the ref blew, I couldnt get out Ewood any quicker than I did.

It was truly and utterly dejecting, abysmal effort wise, disheartening fan wise and for me, the winter is going to be a long haul if this formation isnt ditched soon.

Robinson - very comfortable in goal.

Chimbonda - unsure of himself today, ventured forward but gave too much space to the wideman.

Samba - usual driving force, should have scored in the 91st minute.

Nelsen - acrobatic effort but in defence looked shaky against Sidibe.

Givet - lost too much space down the flank.

Emerton - MOTM BY A MILE. If only he could keep to the wing more. Once piece of magic spoiled by an awful cross.

Dunny - injured.

Andrews - awful only just due to the good ball and clearance otherwise a complete disaster.

Diouf - rubbish

N'Zonzi - His inexperience isnt helped by a gaping hole caused by Andrews in the first half.

di Santo - ineffective today and has to stop the habit of hitting the keeper instead of the net.

Subs

Roberts - did okay but given nothing chance wise

Grella - too slow on the uptake

MGP - needs to improve his game all round

Tactics ? They need a drastic change. Sam, whatever you thought about 4-5-1 has to go now. A proper footballing team are going to murder us if we persist, and guess who is next ? Chelsea quickly followed by Liverpool who just happen to have the likes of Torres and Gerrard back from injury !!!

A final note to Mr Williams.

How you let an inexperienced and unqualified manager in Paul Ince spend vast sums of money on the likes of Andrews and Grella needs some explaining. Never have two players evidenced a serious lack of nouse in the transfer market and what is required of a midfielder at this level.

Whoever picked that team wants a JW bollickin ....pathetic that we are scared to try and win from the start .major grumbling from the fans emphasised by thousands leaving early.imy you may think its good enough but its not.they missed five sitters and us three.pathetic showing today .

Huh?

"4 points from 9 with our manager not in the dug out, it does make a massive difference."

Merely stating a fact, that it is not a bad set of results considering our manager has been nowhere the team, 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss, plus two clean sheets. Glass half full :rover:

Your blinkered opinion on Andrews seems to get worse by the week, it is quite amusing. Did he cause you harm in a former life or something?

Onto the game and coincidently 'that ar*ehole' you mention played a perfectly weighted lobbed pass into the path of Di Santo who yet again failed to convert one-on-one with the keeper, it's now becoming a worrying occuring theme for him. For the rest of the first half there was not much to mention in an attacking sense for Rovers. The lone striker formation appeared to be getting us no where for the second home game running. The injury to Dunny was a blow but at least it saw us switch to traditional 4-4-2. Meanwhile Stoke were looking dangerous on the counter attack and it was largely thanks to Robbo that we went to half-time still level.

Second half saw Grella come on for Andrews, who picked up some sort of strain I hear. We did look a little more threatening in the second half without every putting Stoke under any consistent presure. Some credit has got to go to Stoke who's back four was very good I thought, Huth and Shawcross were both top drawer. Stoke supporters' will probably say they deserved to win with the chances they had and it would be hard to disagree, a shocking miss in the second half immediatley springs to mind.

The problem remains in midfield for Rovers in my opinion. Nzonzi looks a class above all our other central midfield options, Grella when he came on gave the ball away on four occasisons which all resulted in Stoke counter-attacks. He has no pace whatsoever and isn't any better or worse than Andrews. Overall I'll take the point, Chimbonda and Emerton the standout players for us.

On the whole the game was frustrating rather than boring. Towards the end I thought we were going to nick it but as we piled forward, we gave chances for Stoke to score. Could have been 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1 and in the end I was disappointed not to get all 3 points which would have taken us above 'that lot' but we can save that for another day. I imagine in the cold light of sunday morning, it might look like a point gained.

I thought the ref had a very poor game - from both fans' perspectives - and why Di Santo got a yellow for winning the ball yet some other poor challenges went un-carded, I don't know.

Here's hoping Dunn isn't too badly injured because without him, our only creativity seems to come from Chimbonda and Samba - although Emo had a good game today.

I would have brought on Benni or Kalanic rather than Roberts but maybe we were going for physical presence. Further proof that Benni is almost certainly off in the next few weeks. More's the pity. Reading back through the thread from during the match, I agree with Majiball (and others) that Kalinic should have been given a chance. If not at home to Stoke then when?

At the very least I can hold my head up in the office on Monday morning!

• Backroom

Stoke fans were great today, outsung us easily.

On the whole the game was frustrating rather than boring. Towards the end I thought we were going to nick it but as we piled forward, we gave chances for Stoke to score. Could have been 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1 and in the end I was disappointed not to get all 3 points which would have taken us above 'that lot' but we can save that for another day. I imagine in the cold light of sunday morning, it might look like a point gained.

I thought the ref had a very poor game - from both fans' perspectives - and why Di Santo got a yellow for winning the ball yet some other poor challenges went un-carded, I don't know.

Here's hoping Dunn isn't too badly injured because without him, our only creativity seems to come from Chimbonda and Samba - although Emo had a good game today.

I would have brought on Benni or Kalanic rather than Roberts but maybe we were going for physical presence. Further proof that Benni is almost certainly off in the next few weeks. More's the pity. Reading back through the thread from during the match, I agree with Majiball (and others) that Kalinic should have been given a chance. If not at home to Stoke then when?

At the very least I can hold my head up in the office on Monday morning!

Di Santo deserved to be booked, fai enough it wasn't a foul but no need to spit his dummy out and kick the ball away

I'm getting fed up of football, defensive tactics at home against a relegation candidate

Have you forgotten that they beat Tottenham AT Tottenham, they prevented one of the best attacking sides in this league from scoring. Yet you seem to think Stoke are relegation candidates, get real, they are a well organised side most certain to finish in the top ten, they closed down the space today and we weren't quick enough to move into it. We lacked pace today but even Tottenham have pace and some top quality players so maybe if we did have players with a bit more pace it would have still been difficult to break them down.

We have not lost at home since the opening day of the season, give your head a wobble ;)

Huh?

"4 points from 9 with our manager not in the dug out, it does make a massive difference."

Merely stating a fact, that it is not a bad set of results considering our manager has been nowhere the team, 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss, plus two clean sheets. Glass half full :rover:

Yeah well said.

I thought we would get a draw today because Stoke are a solid well organised team, you have to give them some credit. They defended really well.

The game wasn't the best but we didn't lose which in my book is a positive.

I also thought nzonzi played really well, I like the way he keep things simple, nice neat passer of the ball and he can also get stuck in as well.

Very poor all round today to be honest, both on and off the pitch.

Emerton is fast becoming Mr Consistent, looks our most dangerous player and his work ethic is second to none.

De Santos just isn’t a finisher, he links up the play very well, has a great touch but isn’t a natural goal scorer, worth 7 million? I’m not sure.

Don’t understand the Andrews hate brigade, the guy saves a nailed on goal and gives 110% every game. Yes he’s not good enough, but the manager keeps picking him, all the lad can do is go out and give his best. We have a number of players that are good enough that don’t put in half as much effort as Andrews.

Diouf = Dick Turpin = Get rid

Anyone seen the missing Croatian?

Archived