BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Man Utd

One or two on here need to take off their blue and white glasses.I saw my first game in 1961 so I don't any lectures on loyalty. I called it as I saw it, My mate who's a " City" fan who played to a good standard sent me a text after the the game - it contained one word - "Dire". Yes it's great to get a point off the red rats and it's better still to have put a spoke in their wheel but lets not kid ourselves.Most non- rovers would have been bored to tears.

One or two stats

-Possession, Rovers 33%- Rats 67%

Passing success, Rovers 57%- Rats 80.4% ( Only Stoke had a worse figure than us in the Prem with 48.5)

Shots on target, Rovers 1- Rats 4

Shots off target, Rovers 2- Rats7

Corners, Rovers 1- Rats7

My paper ( The Guardian) gave the following scores for our back four-

Salgado 6,Samba 6,Jones 6, Givet 6. Funny but that's exactly the scores I gave them. Maybe their reporter watched another game as well.

I'll be there on Saturday with my son and my mum ( yeh she's nearly 80, maybe you'd like to tell her to go to the Turf ) all of us hoping for a Rovers win but most of all hoping for some goal mouth excitement.

You can count Samba out of the ratings, he didn't manage to complete the first half, or did that not happen in the game you watched? what he did before he went off was excellent. Givet is turning into great player for us and put in another excellent performance. Salgado showed his wealth of experience and played a blinder. Jones is really something else.

What did you and the Guardian reporter expect on Sunday? Two title contenders from 1995? We are scrapping for every point we can get, a mediocre mid table side and we managed to keep a clean sheet against a United side that scored 3 goals against Bayern Munich in midweek. If we'd have gone out to attack and kill the game off they would have slaughtered us but at least we'd have had a go right?

I'm not concerned if the 'non-Rovers' were entertained or not. I was entertained and was proud of the performance the lads put in.

We are growing from strength to strength and we all need to be realistic about what we expect down at Ewood these days. I'm happy that we are turning Ewood into a fortress once again and I am looking forward to a promising season next season.

Stokes passing success is incomparable to ours, we were playing the Champions of possibly the best league in the world and they were playing against the mighty Wolves. You also managed to miss out our blocked shots, 6 of the blighters. The corners ratio of 7-1 is also incomparable as some of the opposition corners should have been goal kicks but the ref played to the Darwen end with many of his decisions.

Dire is not a word to describe yesterdays performance. Resolute? Yes, Solid? Yes. An Improvement? Definitely.

As for the Everton game on Saturday, you may well see some goalmouth action and will probably see some goals as this will be a completely different game to the one against Man Utd.

Interesting, all the pundits on television are applauding a great defensive display, Jones got M.O.M - Salgado had a good game too and not one of the back for gets above a 6???

Quite odd.

Another reason not to buy The Guardian.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, all the pundits on television are applauding a great defensive display, Jones got M.O.M - Salgado had a good game too and not one of the back for gets above a 6???

Quite odd.

It's called having an opinion. You have yours , I have mine. They have theirs. I suppose it depends on your starting point. Mine is as follows-

1 Nobodies that bad, you get one for running out onto the pitch.

2 Ditto, and for wearing the blue and white shirt.

3 Shocking.

4 Poor.

5 Good.

6 Very Good.

7 Excellent.

8 Brilliant.

9 World beater.

10 Nobodies that good, well maybe Messi last week.

Hope that helps.

Quite odd.

The Daily Mirror's ratings are equally perplexing:

Robinson 7, Salgado 6, Samba 6 (Nelsen 5), Jones 8, Givet 6, Grella 7, Nzonzi 6, Emerton 5, Pedersen 6, Olsson 6 (Diouf 5) Kalinic 7.

Unlucky Morton, We're usually either bottom or second bottom of the passing sats every week. Every week it's either us or Stoke, but at least they have forwards with some pace and menace. Sooner or later our in ability to find players in the same colour shirt will bite us on the bum. Yesterday we persisted in either just lumping it forward or playing shortish aimless balls to players who were stood still or barely moving. A few times players got a bit a space , looked up and couldn't find a Rover to pass to. The ball came back relentlessly, luckily for us Utd were particularly toothless in front of goal yesterday and they couldn't take advantage. Let me ask you this - if Valencia had have scored with what was a relatively easy chance how would we have got back into game ? Paint me a picture were we score a goal in yesterdays match.

I'm not faulting the effort but we lack craft and pace in vital areas of the pitch.

You may care to gloss over this in the light of us giving the red rats a poke in the eye but I'm a bit more concerned. I suppose season tickets sales may tell which of us is right.

You may care to gloss over this in the light of us giving the red rats a poke in the eye but I'm a bit more concerned. I suppose season tickets sales may tell which of us is right.

A waiting list for both BBE and Riverside might give you a clue on that one... ;)

A waiting list for both BBE and Riverside might give you a clue on that one... ;)

That will be true if there's still a waiting list in September. Right now there has to be waiting lists because both stands are more or less sold out with ST holders, whose seats will be reserved until deadline day.

Unlucky Morton, We're usually either bottom or second bottom of the passing sats every week. Every week it's either us or Stoke, but at least they have forwards with some pace and menace. Sooner or later our in ability to find players in the same colour shirt will bite us on the bum. Yesterday we persisted in either just lumping it forward or playing shortish aimless balls to players who were stood still or barely moving. A few times players got a bit a space , looked up and couldn't find a Rover to pass to. The ball came back relentlessly, luckily for us Utd were particularly toothless in front of goal yesterday and they couldn't take advantage. Let me ask you this - if Valencia had have scored with what was a relatively easy chance how would we have got back into game ? Paint me a picture were we score a goal in yesterdays match.

I'm not faulting the effort but we lack craft and pace in vital areas of the pitch.

No glossing over here Tyrone, just being a realist and celebrating a well earned point yesterday.

Valencia didn't score because our keeper did his job. It wasn't a goal and shouldn't have been a goal because Valencia didn't do his job but Robbo did. I will always expect Utd to have 10 or 15 more chances on goal than us.

Samba heading towards the near post in the opening minutes. We could well have scored when the ball fell to N'Zonzi in the second half, but Neville managed to get his backside in the way. Also when a superb ball was played in to Olsson but he just didn't manage to reach it. If N'Zonzi had put that in the back of the net I can't see where Utd would have equalised either. They were all out for the win and couldn't bag a goal against us, they had to score whether we scored or not so if N'Zonzi's shot had gone in as far as I'm concerned we'd have taken 3 points. What about when Super Rio nearly did his party trick against us? Pedersen played a decent ball into the box and he just lashed at it. Are you telling me we didn't put their defence under any pressure at all? Rio was rattled when he nearly sent the ball into the back of his own net.

I'm not saying we don't have issues but credit where credit is due, we got a point against Man Utd as we did against Liverpool and Chelsea. As far as I'm concerned that's good going.

Its true that Valencia should have scored but the move was a result of a very poor clearance from Robbo--highly unusual. Manu created next to nothing all day. Would we have equalised? Nobody can say but we did against Chelsea didn't we?

However nobody who watches us can doubt that we lack guile and pace in vital areas. We can all agree there------even more meritorious to be 11 th in the table after 34 matches.

It's called having an opinion. You have yours , I have mine. They have theirs. I suppose it depends on your starting point. Mine is as follows-

1 Nobodies that bad, you get one for running out onto the pitch.

2 Ditto, and for wearing the blue and white shirt.

3 Shocking.

4 Poor.

5 Good.

6 Very Good.

7 Excellent.

8 Brilliant.

9 World beater.

10 Nobodies that good, well maybe Messi last week.

Hope that helps.

That does help. 5/10 for good?! Show me a review anywhere of anything that gives something 5/10 and indicates it's anything more than average - usually it's given for things that are a little below average. 7 for excellent and 8 for brilliant - theyve pretty much got the same meaning. Sounds like you've given a bunch of utterly retarded ratings and are trying to backtrack.

We are lacking going forward - Sam even said so in his interview and considering he's got a tendency of glossing over the faults in his post match interviews it's clearly an area he's looking to work on over the summer. But as someone said, for however weak United were theyre still the second best side in the country and have literally hundreds of millions of pounds worth of talent even without Rooney. If that chance went in then big deal - we wouldve had a battling 1-0 loss at home to United, hardly a disgrace is it?

Do you think Rovers fans would have left happier if we'd lost 3-2 or 4-2 and created a few chances or if we'd drawn 0-0 in the manner we did? Yes, arguably it would have been more entertaining had that happened but if it was all about entertainment then surely our fans would be trying to get on the list for a United or a Liverpool season ticket?...oh wait, they produced pretty uninspiring football when they came to Ewood too, only having spent much, much more money.

I would dearly like to see us play nicer stuff next season but this season has been about consolidation and a safe mid table spot from where we can kick on. It hasn't been just about avoiding the drop as is evidenced by the fact we're miles away from the drop zone. Hopefully next season we can start playing some better stuff but even then when it comes to the games against the big 4 I'd take picking up a point over creating lots of chances and losing every time.

6 or 7 are usually around average in football ratings terms. 7 if they've been slightly better than average, 6 if slightly worse than average. Then it's usually 8 for excellent, 9 for outstanding and 10 for near perfect (i.e. Messi vs Arsenal).

I've never seen anyone give a rating of 5 without trying to imply the player in question has performed poorly.

Edit: Actually that extends to anything. If you said you'd just seen a '5/10' film it would be a pretty disparaging comment about it.

Yes, Kalinic was isolated and yes, he was up against top quality defenders but I was disappointed with his performance. Up until that neat pass through to Diouf on 85 minute I don't think he won a single ball and I can't recall even one layoff that he managed until then. No matter what you say about Diouf he has the ability to gather the ball and hold on to it. More often than not he draws the foul. He played a useful role yesterday IMO.

I was beginning to think I was totally on my own about Kalanic. I read posts where it's said that he's pure class, where he's already worth far more than what we paid for him and where he's pure quality. I can't see it.

If you list some of the qualities needed to be a successful striker in this league [i.e. pace, strength, power in the air etc, or whatever you judge] which does he have?

I thought yesterday, first half in particular, that he might as well not have been on the pitch.

I forgot to mention in my last post, nothing of tremendous substance I suppose but it just brought home to me some of the priorities of life.

Little Cormac O’Neill - the lad who has spent three and a half years of his life in hospital and undergone 32 operations - walked onto and off the pitch unaided as mascot for the day. He was so blissed out he hugged his dad on the touch line patting his back over and over again, he was buzzing. I was fair choked up I have to say. The interesting thing to me was that whilst this emotional scene was going on, not a handful of metres away the whole of the sporting press core were lined up with their big lenses pointing the other way into the dug out, totally blanking was was happening by the side of them.

I know it's a footy match and that they get paid by the footy shot published so I make no criticism but it did bring it home to me how we sometimes miss the important things in life and let smashing little moments like that pass us by un-noticed.

Well done little Cormac you brightened up my day.

Dont understand Utd team selection ..Fletcher their best player after Rooney missing.Carrick who has naff games but often scores against us not there. Evra missing ..As for Sam not going Fergie any favours we didnt even shoot ..What more can they ask..A Phil Neville type own goal?Expected to see a sea of red but saw more Yellow and Green .Yellow and green scarfs and cheering Glazier out was hardly the right Battle cry to be making at a game as important as this to them...Jones was great again..

I think that was more tactical by Fergie. A few seasons ago under Hughes, he played Roque just out on the right as he is miles better in the air compared to Evra. With the likes of Nzonzi, Di Santo, MGP and Kalinic who are good in the air, Big Sam would have exploited that and in turn causing United a lot more problems.

So to keep Evra on the bench seemed a sensible decision for me, as for Carrick and Fletcher, I don't have a clue.

• Backroom

I think that was more tactical by Fergie. A few seasons ago under Hughes, he played Roque just out on the right as he is miles better in the air compared to Evra. With the likes of Nzonzi, Di Santo, MGP and Kalinic who are good in the air, Big Sam would have exploited that and in turn causing United a lot more problems.

So to keep Evra on the bench seemed a sensible decision for me, as for Carrick and Fletcher, I don't have a clue.

Carrick has been in terrible form recently, his midweek performance was awful. Wasn't surprised to see him dropped. Fletcher's absence is baffling, though. According to my Utd supporting mate Evra was rested because he's knackered, apparently he's played more games in all competitions than any other premiership player this year? Maybe Fletcher was being rested as well. Whatever, it worked in our favour regardless. Maybe Sam had a sneaky word at Aintree ;)

How can 5/10 not be average? It's about as central as you can get.

I don't know why people have to get so uptight about people disagreeing with their opinion. It was a hard-earned point and a battling performance, but please let's not pretend it was an entertaining game. It was gash.

I don't know why people have to get so uptight about people disagreeing with their opinion. It was a hard-earned point and a battling performance, but please let's not pretend it was an entertaining game. It was gash.

Agreed.

It was a comically bad game at times. Both teams matching each other for ineptitude. But I still punched the air when the final whistle went and walked up Bolton Road with a smile on my face.

Very strange.

Thanks for that, I was starting to think it was just me.

Agreed.

It was a comically bad game at times. Both teams matching each other for ineptitude. But I still punched the air when the final whistle went and walked up Bolton Road with a smile on my face.

Very strange.

So did I and so did most of the ground. It might not have been the most asthetically pleasing game (by any means) but it was entertaining. Only a couple of people seem not to have enjoyed it...

When reviewing a game of football, it has always been 6/10 for an average performance, 7/10 for above average, 8/10 for very good, 9/10 excellent and 10/10 superb, 5/10 is below average. Thats not disagreeing with an opinion, thats stating a fact as to how players are reviewed. Better yet any resident journos wish to clarify?! ;)

Car crash football. Fascinating for all the wrong reasons.

PLEASE NO MORE!

Here here.

Too many people on here think yesterday's performance was something to be really proud of. It simply wasn't.

The reaction from some people is so far gone it suggests we beat United 5-0. If only. We played out a 0-0 draw against a poor United team and lacked any kind of ambition to put the ball in their net. We were terrified of taking any risks and committing anyone past the half way line – hardly the traditional approach you'd expect from a team on home territory.

I travel to every home game from Aylesbury because I love Rovers, want to be entertained and want see some us get one over other teams by taking the game to them and being positive. The home record is an impressive stat and something to be proud of but it's not the be all and end all.

I don't travel in the car for six hours to see a midfield that is completely void of any attacking ideas and is happy to pass the ball back to Robbo from the half way line because we're not willing to offer up any other options.

I firmly believe we could have beaten United yesterday, they were that poor. I'd have been as thrilled as most people on here if we'd sneaked a 1-0 because we'd have shown some endeavor.

If we come out against Everton with the same game plan, I'll be thoroughly p*ssed off.

Actually, the average of the sequence of integers from 1 to 10 is 5.5. Therefore 5/10 is in fact below average. Forgive my pedantry... :)

As for the game; it wasn't a blinder but a point against the likes of ManUre is not to be harked at. As a self confessed member of the anti-Allardyce brigade, even I can put my hands up and say that he got it right yesterday. That's not to say our all round performance was brilliant, because it wasn't, but we were outstanding defensively so credit has to be given where it's due.

On a more negative note; did anyone else think that Pedersen was complete and utter tosh again yesterday? If this is him trying to win a new contract, then I shudder to think what he'd be like if he signs.

Archived