BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Moa off with an injury.

Joar: It is against Mexes and another chap. Hardly average norwegian defenders.

I don't agree that it was two sitters either.

You are probably one of those who have to be negative about our national team whatever we do.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh aye? Well what better players would we be able get on cheaper wages then?

We have an average bunch of players who play the percentage game to compensate for their lack of technical ability. We don't have any great irreplaceable talent, apart from Dunn, but he's not exactly reliable. This is my point. It's not like we're paying over the odds to insure top names at our club, like we've done with Santa Cruz, Bentley, Bellamy etc. We're paying top whack for a bunch of cloggers.

We have an average bunch of players who play the percentage game to compensate for their lack of technical ability. We don't have any great irreplaceable talent, apart from Dunn, but he's not exactly reliable. This is my point. It's not like we're paying over the odds to insure top names at our club, like we've done with Santa Cruz, Bentley, Bellamy etc. We're paying top whack for a bunch of cloggers.

So we have to make sure every player has a special talent - your looking at it far too simplistically.

I know what you mean but we'll be paying top whack whoever we have, cause all the decent players wont even think of coming to Rovers. So this is what were left with, mediocre players who are also the best players available to us.

Moa off with an injury.

Joar: It is against Mexes and another chap. Hardly average norwegian defenders.

I don't agree that it was two sitters either.

You are probably one of those who have to be negative about our national team whatever we do.

That's quite an assumption there. If you have to know I think the national team does more than could be expected given the available material. I take it you mean Rami when you say "Another chap". I didn't actually mention the french defense anywhere in my post, though completely missing the ball 5 meters out from goal I would call missing no matter who's behind your back.

Anyways, I reckon it's going to be Beattie in the end coming in. I just hope, if that's the case, he'll prove everyone wrong.

I know what you mean but we'll be paying top whack whoever we have, cause all the decent players wont even think of coming to Rovers. So this is what were left with, mediocre players who are also the best players available to us.

On the contrary, we've had many talented players in our colours over the past five or ten years. We present the opportunity for a player to make a name for himself or revive a fallen career. We're not as unattractive as some would care to think.

Yes, about ten days ago... :D

Thought it would be but their is page after page of arguements on here about us being 20th and rubbish like that....so I wasnt looking through all that.

About time we had part 3 of the transfer topic....arguements about the coming season need their own thread.

On the contrary, we've had many talented players in our colours over the past five or ten years. We present the opportunity for a player to make a name for himself or revive a fallen career. We're not as unattractive as some would care to think.

Not denying that, we've had some great players at Ewood in recent years. But some would say the markets changing quickly meaning that your not going to be able to pick up a player of for instance RSC's quality for £3.5m or whatever we bought him for anymore.

A good example is that Kenwyne Jones is going to Stoke for 8m, not all that long ago nobody would of paid that for a player of his quality.

As stated previously, Rovers are paying these players the going rate for a middle-ranking PL club. If Rovers had not paid these wages they would have moved elsewhere. As with so much in life, you get what you pay for.

And >30k/week gets you a striker who regularly cocks up in front of goal?

7million for steven fletcher just about sums up the lunacy of the Market we operate in

Exactly, you cant pick up decent players on the cheap anymore. Even a mediocre player like Fletcher costs 7m people need to realise the markets changed since the days of Hughes at Rovers.

7million for steven fletcher just about sums up the lunacy of the Market we operate in

Kevin Davies cost us £7.25m

Ciccio Grabbi cost us £7m

Ade Akinbiyi cost Leicester £5.5m

There's always been clubs with more money than sense.

Have to say it again, if we couldn't afford to replace McCarthy adequately, he shouldn't have been sold.

We played better without McCarthy. He was fat, lazy, disinterested,allegedly a disruptive influence in the dressing room and , in summary, an utter disgrace. To get rid of him and actually get 2M was good work by Allardyce.

Not denying that, we've had some great players at Ewood in recent years. But some would say the markets changing quickly meaning that your not going to be able to pick up a player of for instance RSC's quality for £3.5m or whatever we bought him for anymore.

A good example is that Kenwyne Jones is going to Stoke for 8m, not all that long ago nobody would of paid that for a player of his quality.

The difference is that Jones is pretty proven at prem level. Roque was an ever present on the treatment table at Bayern, who didn't score any goals when he was on the pitch, there weren't many clubs willing to take a risk on him when we signed him, coz his wage demands were massive!!! Dont forget that after proving himself, we got £17m for him, now there are 2 good reasons why we got the money for him that we did... David Bentley spent a season putting some of the best crosses into the box that I've ever seen at Ewood, thus causing him to score a load, and Mark Hughes loved him.

Anybody proven at prem level will command a higher fee, regardless of if he's average or not... Steven Fletcher is still quite young, and will probably turn out ok, but its the youth that got the fee... same with Kevin Doyle he hardly scored, but Wolves paid £6m for him. the pricing hasn't changed much over recent years, it's that hardly anyone has any money, so they are getting every last bit out of what they have (unfortunately this is the bracket we fall into).

This is why we are buying unknown French midfielders & looking at freebies... we cant afford to buy off another Prem club!!!

Incidentally, I wonder who the last outfield player was who we signed from another prem club??? I think Stephen Warnock... could be wrong???

Archived