BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other PL happenings 2010-2011

Tom

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't read this whole thread so sorry if repeat anything but the Manu/Everton game highlighted again that there are 2 sets of refereeing rules and that you rarely get penalties at Old Trafford. Everton had 2 clear penalty claims turned down which would have won them the game! OK it would have been an undeserved win but those are the rules (normally). If Nelsen had committed the 2nd one surely he'd have been sent off but not Ferdinand!

Ferdinand was supreme in the air but a lumbering carthorse on the ground, so slow. Looks as if his career is drawing to a close. Hope for us there if Vidic doesn't play.

2 shouts? Surely your not on about the Anichebe one where he had lost control of the ball and was out muscled by Ferdinand after he was the 1st to put his hand out?

What was the other?

Its like Hollowhead who was saying Blackpool should have had 3....1 if they were lucky and even that one DJ Campbell threw himself over like he was in a diving competition.

The one where Ferdinand pushed the Everton player over. At the time I was imagining Nelsen in the same position. In my mind, the referee pointed to the spot and all Rovers fans looking at the replay said "Well you can't do that these days - definite penalty".

That's what is so infuriating when decisions are given against us. We have to accept them and abide by the rules. But that isn't applied consistently.

It just shows to me that referees definitely favour big clubs even if subconsciously. I mean it was Peter Walton FFS. if that had been Rovers he'd have sent off Nelsen with a condescending shake of the head and a smile on his face.

Worst referee in the PL (IMHO).

It just shows to me that referees definitely favour big clubs even if subconsciously. I mean it was Peter Walton FFS. if that had been Rovers he'd have sent off Nelsen with a condescending shake of the head and a smile on his face.

Graham Poll admitted as much in his autobiography a few years ago. He claimed that if refereees are 100% certain about a decision they'll call it as threy see it. He also claimed that if they're not 100% certain subconsciously they'll think it'll cause far more furore in the press and media etc than if they give a controversial decision against ManUre at Old Trafford than if they say give a marginal decision against a club like Brighton say, which will go more or less unreported outside the Brighton area.

I'd personally go a lot further and say it extends far beyond what Poll says. I don't believe there's a specific agenda against any one Club but if nearly 20 years of watching top flight football has taught us anything it's that there's one rule for Manchester United, Arsenal and over the years Liverpool, a slightly less favourable set of conditions for newer kids on the block like Chelsea and the likes of Man Citeh, and then "normal" officiating standards apply for the other 15 or so Clubs!.

Blackpool would appear to have had the rough end of the stick as regards officiating decisions this season but I'm surprised Holloway finds it so surprising if you will.

2 shouts? Surely your not on about the Anichebe one where he had lost control of the ball and was out muscled by Ferdinand after he was the 1st to put his hand out?

What was the other?

Its like Hollowhead who was saying Blackpool should have had 3....1 if they were lucky and even that one DJ Campbell threw himself over like he was in a diving competition.

Bit belligerent there Hughesy! Yes the Ferdinand/Anichebe one was as clear a penalty as it gets. The first was where a Manure defender (can't remember who) simply walked through Beckford on the edge of the area and pushed him over.

If that had been us not Everton i don't think you would have been so sanguine!

Haven't seen the Blackpool game so can't comment.

Graham Poll admitted as much in his autobiography a few years ago. He claimed that if refereees are 100% certain about a decision they'll call it as threy see it. He also claimed that if they're not 100% certain subconsciously they'll think it'll cause far more furore in the press and media etc than if they give a controversial decision against ManUre at Old Trafford than if they say give a marginal decision against a club like Brighton say, which will go more or less unreported outside the Brighton area.

I'd personally go a lot further and say it extends far beyond what Poll says. I don't believe there's a specific agenda against any one Club but if nearly 20 years of watching top flight football has taught us anything it's that there's one rule for Manchester United, Arsenal and over the years Liverpool, a slightly less favourable set of conditions for newer kids on the block like Chelsea and the likes of Man Citeh, and then "normal" officiating standards apply for the other 15 or so Clubs!.

Blackpool would appear to have had the rough end of the stick as regards officiating decisions this season but I'm surprised Holloway finds it so surprising if you will.

Spot on Rev.

What bottlers Arsenal are!

One stat that Alan Parry said near the end, was for about 20 minutes Arsenal had been camped in Bolton's half, but Jussi did not have a save to make - just about sums them up really.

• Backroom

I think I'd rather Man Utd or Chelsea won the title over Arsenal. They're classless in defeat, and contrary to popular belief you don't have to be a bad loser in order to be a winner. You'd have thought Arsene and his team of bottlers would have got used to throwing it away by now, but every year they act like a bunch of slapped arses as their dreams go up in smoke again :D

"If you can convince me that the principles are wrong, then I am ready. But I feel we try to play football the proper way.

Nothing wrong with his principles just the quality and desire of his players is not good enough and the fire in their hearts is not burning strongly enough. Nothing a new Adam's, Vierra, Bergkamp and Henry wouldn't cure.

I think Bolton winning against Arsenal is good for us. After their disaster in the Cup, if they'd lost again yesterday and maybe won't get anything at Fulham on Wednesday they'd have been absolutely desperate to hammer us on Saturday. And we need the 3 points a lot more than they do!

I was thinking just the opposite, their confidence will be sky high again now. If they'd have got battered and then maybe lost at Fulham their confidence would have been as low as ours is.

Colin W****r's face was a picture after QPR's draw today.

"Hurray, you are promoted to the PL."

"Er, sorry, no your not, Norwich have just scored."

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I'd love it if they missed out on goal difference and were battered in the play-offs.

• Backroom

Not really, it may have prevented you from getting it though!

Ha ha just watching SSN and some numpty Norwich fan jumped the hoardings to join in the celebrations and went flat on his face.

Archived