BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover

I am perhaps complacent, though I prefer to characterize myself as remaining calm, logical and not letting emotions get the better of me.

And WBA has been setting the PL on fire. Excellent set of results. But I tend to recall Burnley doing the same, early on. There always seem to be one, who then falters. I suspect that WBA is that one.

Whether you are calm and logical or complacent we'll see. But you have a far higher opinion of our squad of players than most on here. I think top half will be out of reach this season because other clubs have improved their squads more than we have.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who mocked the BBC for asking about Syed's past also owe them an apology too.

How ironic that a company said to be anti-Rovers should have raised doubts in this way and would apparently be about to be right in those suspicions.

When you say "those that mocked the BBC", I suspect you should probably say "the vast majority of this messageboard".

I personally would never claim to have any inside knowledge on Rovers, although by being a member of this board and being able to read the posts of people who do have a clue (eg nicko and Kamy) means I indirectly have more of an inside line than many Rovers fans, as we all do.

But applying the basic powers of logic to Ahsan Ali Syed's bid led me to come to the conclusions I did even before Goldberg's revelations. Sadly most of this board was believing what they wanted to believe...

I can only repeat what I have heard from several sources- that the Ali Syed money is real.

Given it is being reported there are issues of unanswered questions, it is fair to assume those include where is the money from and can Ali Syed be trusted to spend it on Rovers.

There are mixed signals- some saying those questions have been answered well enough and others saying not at all.

There are few questions permeating about the probity of mystery man or those around him but no doubt those credentials are being very carefully looked into as well.

In nicko's post of last night, he wrote:

"However those bidders have kept their names hidden, possibly because the people representing them are still putting those teams together."

If that is true then the mystery bidder who has is head to head with Ali Syed and the people nicko is talking about may well not be the same people. If the identities of the supporting cast Nicko is referring to are who they are claiming to be, I think the Trust will be asking a lot of questions about them and their links.

These doubts and confusions might be the cause of the persistent rumour that nobody will buy the club but I feel the weight of evidence overwhelmingly points to a sale happening.

But exactly when all outstanding questions are answered completely satisfactorily and by which party is a very open question. What I am very confident of is there is no let up in the intensity of work behind scenes this week.

It also points to Ali Syed asking himself very directly whether he really wants to buy Rovers and providing the supported answers to the Trust people he is talking to no matter how uncomfortable that might be. Saurin Shah has earned the admiration of all concerned by the open and consistent way he has conducted himself.

I can only repeat what I have heard from several sources- that the Ali Syed money is real.

Given it is being reported there are issues of unanswered questions, it is fair to assume those include where is the money from and can Ali Syed be trusted to spend it on Rovers.

There are mixed signals- some saying those questions have been answered well enough and others saying not at all.

There are few questions permeating about the probity of mystery man or those around him but no doubt those credentials are being very carefully looked into as well. If the identities of the supporting cast are who they are claiming to be, I think the Trust will be asking a lot of questions about them and their links.

This might be the cause of the persistent rumour that nobody will buy the club but I feel the weight of evidence overwhelmingly points to a sale happening.

But exactly when all outstanding questions are answered completely satisfactorily and by which party is a very open question. What I am very confident of is there is no let up in the intensity of work behind scenes this week.

You have said before that there are various levels of DD. Could not the other interested parties have not done some level of DD and are basically just one step behind Syed, waiting for him to fail, before stepping in themselves?

These doubts and confusions might be the cause of the persistent rumour that nobody will buy the club but I feel the weight of evidence overwhelmingly points to a sale happening.

I cannot believe for the life of me how you can still be saying things like this, but is there anything you can actually elaborate with to back this statement up?

Somebody has got quite far down the line and then failed to buy. Who's to say the next lot will even get as far as Syed did? I wouldn't be in any way confident about stating the reason Syeds' bid failed is because of the power or influence of a rival bidder.

IMO, yesterdays news was just another nail in the coffin for this whole takeover.

its really getting boring now, and perhaps until the end of the season, the TRUST take their finger out of the arse, and put some money in. Just give a bit of money, and add it to the sale price or debt of the club.Its clear that this take over talks, are just a smoke screen by the club, to ensure that no money is spent, while making excuses that they couldnt spend because they were in takeover talks.

You have said before that there are various levels of DD. Could not the other interested parties have not done some level of DD and are basically just one step behind Syed, waiting for him to fail, before stepping in themselves?

I think the Ali Syed exclusivity has expired so the two front runners are now level pegging in terms of due diligence and ability to close a deal.

At this stage, so much work has been done and costs run up that neither of the front two will be voluntarily waiting for the other. Saurin Shah is waiting and hoping.

I cannot believe for the life of me how you can still be saying things like this, but is there anything you can actually elaborate with to back this statement up?

Somebody has got quite far down the line and then failed to buy. Who's to say the next lot will even get as far as Syed did? I wouldn't be in any way confident about stating the reason Syeds' bid failed is because of the power or influence of a rival bidder.

IMO, yesterdays news was just another nail in the coffin for this whole takeover.

Of course I cannot write chapter and verse on here why the evidence overwhelmingly points to a sale- I can only indicate what I am hearing and when I use the word "overwhelmingly" I do so with many very good reasons, two important ones having emerged very recently so this is not a case of being behind the events.

If nicko is onto the mystery buyer, then the fact he hasn't got his group together rings all kinds of alarm bells about Ali Syed's opposition. However, that picture is completely inconsistent with the titbits emerging about the mystery buyer who is talking to the Trust/Rothschilds which point to somebody who has completely got his act together, is ultra-professional and totally disciplined and consistent.

Of course I cannot write chapter and verse on here why the evidence overwhelmingly points to a sale- I can only indicate what I am hearing and when I use the word "overwhelmingly" I do so with many very good reasons, two important ones having emerged very recently so this is not a case of being behind the events.

If nicko is onto the mystery buyer, then the fact he hasn't got his group together rings all kinds of alarm bells about Ali Syed's opposition. However, that picture is completely inconsistent with the titbits emerging about the mystery buyer who is talking to the Trust/Rothschilds which point to somebody who has completely got his act together, is ultra-professional and totally disciplined and consistent.

Well here's hoping he's certainly got some money together.

Got a text from my brother last night saying he is being pulled into a bid for Rovers. He works for a sports rights agency in London and one of the bidders has brought them in to look at the opportunity. He's meeting with them today but if people are just putting bid teams together this can't be very far advanced.

Got a text from my brother last night saying he is being pulled into a bid for Rovers. He works for a sports rights agency in London and one of the bidders has brought them in to look at the opportunity. He's meeting with them today but if people are just putting bid teams together this can't be very far advanced.

It's like waiting for an expectant mother to come to the end of her pregnancy. She isn't in good health but she has several weeks to go.

We wish that the sooner it's over, the better and that all will be well in the end.

Don't forget Post Natal Depression, Bazza ...

Those who mocked the BBC for asking about Syed's past also owe them an apology too.

How ironic that a company said to be anti-Rovers should have raised doubts in this way and would apparently be about to be right in those suspicions.

Not really, Nicko. I said at the time, it was the obvious pleasure that Goldberg took in his part in 'seeing off' a potential buyer for Rovers that riled me. Unless I'm being particularly sensitive. And that Jain(?) guy disappeared suspiciously suddenly.

to hell with Goldberg, he still hasn’t proven hard facts.

On the Trust being good owners, yes they have done well keeping the club together, but that has been more down to the skill of JW and Co, than the trust in the last few seasons. They want rid of the club, and if they are unable to find a buyer, then put some money in or it’s a case of losing more money if the club goes down.

It might be boring to some but to be philosophical about it - Time is nature's way of stopping everything happening in one big crunch. The prize is too big and too important to blow it through unprofessionalism. Patience is the key, let people do their job.

If the Trust have been window dressing the club ready for a takeover ie running contracts down, not taking on new high wages etc., then they are realistic enough to know that if we are in trouble by Xmas, and they haven't sold, they will spend in the transfer window.

Isn't this situation just typical of any game involving bidding. As a poker game develops players drop in and out, good players let others to the donkey work then make their play when the dross has been flushed out. Each new piece of information has to examined and checked as much as possible before responding. If the BBC discovered something Nicko who's to say the Trust wouldn't have turned it up for themselves, perhaps they had higher short term priorites like seeing the bid was funded by cash. It's a little like criticing somebody for not having washed their hands whilst they are still sitting on the toilet.

Good job some on here aren't special forces snipers or they'd get fed up of being dug in the same hole for days on end, not moving and bagging their own cr*p and take the shot just because they got fed up with hanging about. The result, a tick on the job sheet, shot taken but target missed, no second chances available.

I don't want to see Rovers being sold to anyone until the last ounce of diligence has been squeezed out of the situation and if that takes weeks or months then that's what it takes. If you want instant gratification go for a lap dance.

I think the BBC Goldberg thing was more of an annoyance to most people who weren't happy with the BBC resorting to 'tabloid' style journalism and making a sensation out of a few grand he owes to a landlord.

It was surprising they attacked Syed on this point given the large elephant in the room of the $1bn capital which does not on the face of it appear to be liquid cash. (Philip's sources suggest otherwise - anything you can reveal to us without upsetting your sources Philip?)

Apparently the bid I know about is legit and the people behind it think they are the only viable player. They have ambitious plans to grow the revenue base of the club and people are trying to make the sums work. Personally (and this is entirely my own opnion) I still don't trust any plan that involves growing Rovers revenue substantially. It can only lead to failure, debt and a long term problems for the club.

If the Trust have been window dressing the club ready for a takeover ie running contracts down, not taking on new high wages etc., then they are realistic enough to know that if we are in trouble by Xmas, and they haven't sold, they will spend in the transfer window.

Most of us are wise enough to realise that if you're down there in the new year [when the transfer window opens], it's too late to do anything. Let's not get carried away here Timmy, the trustees withdrew funding three years ago for no other reason that they didn't want to put money into BRFC any longer. Those are the simple facts and that's what they said.

I still don't trust any plan that involves growing Rovers revenue substantially. It can only lead to failure, debt and a long term problems for the club.

Well growing revenue isn't a problem that has to happen for progress to made, it is the model behind it which needs to be very clever.

The obvious problem is making sure the club has the fans through the door, the associated merchandise sales and also the sponsorship deals. For me it needs to be a slow growth model with the transfer funds available to slowly improve the team i.e. Birmingham City (although they have the potential crowd). If we can get to the point where by we make european football every year then that is quite probably as far as things can go without the top clubs hitting severe financial problems (could very well happen).

Forget your big money buys, the way forward is to get the best young players and make a profit through sales later on. See Villa, although without the obsession with english players who have large initial fees e.g. Reo-Coker, Harewood, et al.

Most of us are wise enough to realise that if you're down there in the new year [when the transfer window opens], it's too late to do anything. Let's not get carried away here Timmy, the trustees withdrew funding three years ago for no other reason that they didn't want to put money into BRFC any longer. Those are the simple facts and that's what they said.

I agree, It's not to do with lack of money either, I believe they have invested greatly in BMI? Though who can blame them in a business sense?

We are definitely a burden to them, though they seem to be acting responsibly during this takeover(that could be down to Uncle Jack's wishes laid down though?).

Jack didn't buy us to make money, football is a very difficult investment to make lots of money these days.

Shall we do a BRFCS Euro millions syndicate this Friday? Though can you imagine the chaos?! "Sack Sam!" "no don't I <3 him!" hehe

. . . They have ambitious plans to grow the revenue base of the club and people are trying to make the sums work. Personally (and this is entirely my own opnion) I still don't trust any plan that involves growing Rovers revenue substantially. It can only lead to failure, debt and a long term problems for the club.

I 99% agree with you. I can see growing club revenue by breaking into a large, untapped market, such as India, but the odds are long even with people with the cash and resources to make it happen.

I hope this is a joke.

Even yourself called it Jeremy Kyle journalism.

After listening to Goldberg's show you would hope any self respecting journalist would be embarrassed for someone in their profession.

I hope this is a joke.

Even yourself called it Jeremy Kyle journalism.

After listening to Goldberg's show you would hope any self respecting journalist would be embarrassed for someone in their profession.

I seem to remember nicko saying repeatedly that the BBC had done a good job on this. Most people seemed to choose to ignore this though...

You can say what you like about the style (it certainly did grate), but he brought up a lot of stuff that Ali Syed didn't really manage to refute.

I think that this Mystery buyer has done a really good job in keeping his identity secret. Think he has been talking to the Trust/Rothschilds/rovers board for two months and for his identity not coming into the open for. We can say who we think it is but we really don't know tbh. Is he from India/Asia or America?

I think this Mystery Man is the sort of person the Trust and Rovers Board want, because he has been low key so far when talking to Rovers. He hasn't look for Publicty or anything. We wanted a owner like Randy Lerner or Ellis Short who is in the background and not looking to be in the public eye and making comments all the time like David Sullivan or David Gold.

Archived