BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers vs. Aston Villa

Hoilett had a bright first-half but I barely remember him in the second. Not surprised he was substituted.

He did more than Dunn, though, who did bog-all for 90minutes, except for one slick pass to put Roberts away.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smashing day today. Exciting game, 3 points and a good performance too. My only (minor) niggle is that I wish we wouldn't try to run the clock down when we break in games when we're winning. Several times today we had good positions and just slowed it down and we usually then lose the ball. I'd rather we went for another goal or had a hopeful shot.

But I'd have happily taken 9 points out of the last 4 games if you'd have asked me beforehand. Looking forward to MOTD for once :D

He did more than Dunn, though, who did bog-all for 90minutes, except for one slick pass to put Roberts away.

You must have had your eyes closed.

Dunny showed what a class player he is. At first I thought he ran around like a headless (Venky? sorry) chicken. At his age and being injury prone he needs to slow down and use his brain and experience; and that still applies.

However, as the game went on, and particularly in the last quarter of the game, he showed that he is still a class act. After 90 minutes I was very pleased with a polished David Dunn performance.

Unfortunately I missed the game today, so I was wondering what the reception was like for the new owners???

Did people chant anything?

Well there was the 'One Jack Walker' chant reverberating loudly from the Darwen End to the Blackburn End during the second half. Not sure what the new owners made of it. Not sure either if it was intended to mean anything one way or the other.

Today was rovers to a tee. Gave the opposition very little. Dunn was good when he had the chance and later on, was exquisite in possession but yet gave the ball away too often. Hoilett had very little opportunity to shine. Defensively we were on top and gave little away. MOM was prob Nelsen but Samba not far behind. Jones good and steady.

Still our supporters moan when we win and have a clean sheet.

Exquisite but gave the ball away too often????????

Dunn is a talented footballer who would be a top footballer if he could be fit every week

MGP was yet again central to us picking up the points

Thought Nelsen was immense and Roberts looked an a proper centre forward - he seems to have gained a yard of pace and even controlled the ball - must be playing for something!

Well there was the 'One Jack Walker' chant reverberating loudly from the Darwen End to the Blackburn End during the second half. Not sure what the new owners made of it. Not sure either if it was intended to mean anything one way or the other.

In the BBE I thought I heard a slight boo, but it was drowned out by what I would call polite applause, followed by a rendition of One Jack Walker.

It will take time I think...

Sad as it may seem after such a poor goalkeeping exhibition, I really think that was the last we will see of the goalkeeping phenomena that was Brad.

Indeed. Today was the worst game that I have ever seen him play. It's taken 3 years but now Robinson is finally in front of him in my opinion. If today is typical then Brad has worsened at the same time that Robbo has improved to become the player that he promised to be at LUFC. I've noticed this season that he seems to have improved greatly the ability to get down quickly to low shots.

Not being funny but, as a Rovers fan, I find it odd that he disappointed you by not peforming well. :blink:

Disappointed in the sense that I had expected more from him after the talk that this would be his best season. As a Rovers fan I'm pretty happy seeing the oppositions star player doing bad. :)

I expected to lose tody and I am so glad we didnt.

Before talking about Rovers, I want to say that Villa have an exciting crop of youngsters on their books. They could easily eclipse the manure team that inclkuded the neville monkeys, beckham and co. Rovers did very well to cope with the two flank players in young and downing.

pleased with Roberts, MGP and Robbo. Defence was marshalled well and if Diuof could shuit his gob all would be very well.

Dunny got 90 minutes under his belt which shoudl stand him in good stead.

The rao bros, pony tail and all got their wish for a home win. Pleased for them as we enter a new era.

Hope they are in it for the ride.

Hoilett had a bright first-half but I barely remember him in the second. Not surprised he was substituted.

I too thought Dunn was useless. Yeah he held it up and won a few fouls, but he looked so slow he was almost moving backwards. Don't like saying it but IMO he looks finished at this level, I cant see him recapturing last season's early form.

I expected to lose tody and I am so glad we didnt.

Before talking about Rovers, I want to say that Villa have an exciting crop of youngsters on their books. They could easily eclipse the manure team that inclkuded the neville monkeys, beckham and co. Rovers did very well to cope with the two flank players in young and downing.

I don't doubt they've got some good youngsters but that is some statement 1864!!! Bannann/Hogg etc are no Beckham and Scholes for a start!!

Good win today, I wasn't expecting it which makes it all the more sweeter. Thought Nelsen/Samba had cracking games, Jones marshalled well in front of the back four and the rest did their job.

Onwards and upwards.

• Backroom

Dunny showed what a class player he is. At first I thought he ran around like a headless (Venky? sorry) chicken. At his age and being injury prone he needs to slow down and use his brain and experience; and that still applies.

However, as the game went on, and particularly in the last quarter of the game, he showed that he is still a class act. After 90 minutes I was very pleased with a polished David Dunn performance.

Really?

I'd say he was anonymous for most of the game. I didn't realise he was on the field for most of the game, I would say he was one of our poorer players today.

Apples and Oranges and all that though.

Indeed. Today was the worst game that I have ever seen him play. It's taken 3 years but now Robinson is finally in front of him in my opinion. If today is typical then Brad has worsened at the same time that Robbo has improved to become the player that he promised to be at LUFC. I've noticed this season that he seems to have improved greatly the ability to get down quickly to low shots.

Indeed, his save off Young after the ref took out Givet then ludicrously let play go on was brilliant and normally his weakness

MGP was yet again central to us picking up the points

Thought Nelsen was immense and Roberts looked an a proper centre forward - he seems to have gained a yard of pace and even controlled the ball - must be playing for something!

All correct. If MGP had not scored two then Nelsen simply must have been made MoM.

Apparently Givet has a stomach bug and was sick at HT. Chimbonda is an enigma.

Roberts imo has lost some of that useless muscle bulk since last season. I can only assume SA is keeping him off the weights and has altered his training regime to suit. As a result he seems much more mobile and finally capable of lasting 90 mins.

EHD had another good game and it was good to see Warnock's petulant and predictable foul on him being immediately punished by Peds superb free kick.

Hoillet. Very talented as I commented on last season. His decision making is still letting him down but he has a stronger presence about him this season. He really needs to come up with an end product.

First sight of Gujon on the pitch and I've got to say the jury is out on him. He may not be fully fit but as my mate said he looked 'heavy legged'.

Villa imo were poorer that they have been for some seasons and desperately missed Carew/Heskey up front. Agbonlahore huffed and puffed to no end product and Salgado kept Young under control very well. They missed the big ugly presence of Collins massively too.

Three very necessary and welcome points given the results of yesterday, and the closeness of this years enthralling Premier League competition.

** Just as an aside when Ped went off we finished the match with more black players than white players on the pitch. Is this the first time that this has happened?

The rao bros, pony tail and all got their wish for a home win.

That bloody thing'll have to come off before I can take to em.

Excellent 3 points. I was worried pre-match which Rovers team would turn up which is a shame seeing as last season I expected us to win every week during the 'Fortress Ewood' spell. Hopefully we've turned the corner on that front - even though it's only 2 defeats (and against Chelsea & Arsenal), the recent home performances and draws against Fulham and Sunderland seem to have affected fan's confidence. There were a number of silent spells around me prior to MGP's first goal. Wins against Wolves, West Ham & Stoke will definitely bring those fortress walls back up tho!

3 standout players for me - Pedersen, Nelsen & Roberts.

MGP : I thought made a bit of a slow start and whilst not the best player on the pitch he came up with a piece of brilliance with his free kick and a smart reaction for his second goal.

Nelsen : Made a number of important blocks and also covered a couple of mistakes from Samba.

Roberts : Never stopped running and hassled their defence all game. He is the best striker we've got who is suited to play on his own. I'm happy to keep him there but we need to continue chipping in with goals from elsewhere because we all know finishing isnt his best attribute!

Also thought Jones had a good game - Cant agree with those saying playing him in midfield isnt a benefit. He screened the back 4 very well whilst providing support for the rest of the midfield. I hope we're working with him on his shooting tho - He's got into a few good scoring positions recently.

Bit disappointed we settled at 2-0. As someone else has mentioned, we had a few breaks and instead of going for goal we went into the corners. Understandable with a few minutes to go but not when there was still 10-15min left!

Once again - excellent 3 points and hopefully something we can build on over the next few weeks... :)

Miserable grey day today. Not looking forward to it – so much has been a hassle in the last few weeks – lots gone wrong, hey ho........

I like the kick off time though – Sunday lie-in, wrap up for the cold and off to Ewood for a late breakfast at McDonald's. I'm not enthusiastic about today's game – Villa have pace to burn and are probably too good for us despite their injuries......

Poor away turn out and not much better by us. Polite applause for t'Indian chicken producers. Shyiite first half only enlivened by a phone call from my eldest who is sat on a river in a fancy dress rowing eight wearing a mask and his blue'n'white replica shirt but would rather be next to me and his brother in his usual seat – not much to report.....

Drifted off looking out of the ground – seagulls flying overhead, miserable looking trees, crappy houses – run of the mill northern town – how bizarre is it that millions of people around the world are watching the same game as me ??? How long can little Blackburn sustain a team playing in the world's best league........... :brfcsmilie:

At least we are level at half-time and we have had a good shout at the idiot linesman who wasn't going to give us a free kick when Diouf was clearly fouled.....AND SHAG ME SIDEWAYS Gamst has scored............great half-time and now I REALLY care..........

Villa fans remind us that we are a small town in Burnley – they are sophisticated residents of England's second city :lol: . Doesn't stop us scoring a second goal and now I am engrossed with what I am watching, singing and clapping, everything else forgotten..........

Whistle goes and WE HAVE WON – up to 11th.........

Struggle up the hill with a smile on my face and drive my youngest home......

Monday tomorrow but I no longer care........

p.s. Venky's – you hold in your palms the hearts of so many small town boys and girls like me – do the right thing by us and good luck........... :wub::rover:

I'm very pleased with these important three points. I didn't think we played all that great, but we were the better side for the majority of the game. I thought Villa looked more dangerous when they were on top, but that was only for a couple of brief spells. I for one wanted Pedersen out of the club after the years of dross he had served up. But he is scoring some vitally important goals at the minute and long may it continue.

Good reaction from Pedersen for the second, and a far better free kick for the first than the usual chipped efforts. Was definitely a cross that went in rather than a deliberate shot though - just like the Wigan one. However ..... other than that he was average.

Thought everyone played ok, with Hoilett, Roberts and Nelsen the standout players for me.

A welcome 3 points, and some winnable games coming up to climb the table.

Credit to the manager too - since he dropped the awful hoofball we've been actually half-decent to watch, and certainly more effective results wise on the whole.

Still doesn't command his box though. He never comes for crosses. He is what he is I guess.

So which was it? Headless or polished? You cant have both?

Couldnt get to the game today so watched it on the gogglebox - for the middle fifteen minutes of the second half |I dont think Dunny touched the ball. One of the lesser players on the pitch today IMO.

Great result though

Good reaction from Pedersen for the second, and a far better free kick for the first than the usual chipped efforts. Was definitely a cross that went in rather than a deliberate shot though - just like the Wigan one. However ..... other than that he was average.

Mark, come on now, when are you are going to give the guy credit? Third time?, fifth time?......

oh fuc it, he is sh1te!

These last four game have confirmed one thing in that Jason Roberts is by far the best striker Rovers have currently, and also that hes twice the player 'hes on his arse again' Nico Kalinic is.

Was that before or after he hit the ball into row Z of the Blackburn End when trying to put it past Friedel?

So which was it? Headless or polished? You cant have both?

Couldnt get to the game today so watched it on the gogglebox - for the middle fifteen minutes of the second half |I dont think Dunny touched the ball. One of the lesser players on the pitch today IMO.

Great result though

Maybe a polished chicken ?

Credit to the manager too - since he dropped the awful hoofball we've been actually half-decent to watch, and certainly more effective results wise on the whole.

That must be difficult for you to do Mark. He's played this hoofball for as long as he's been managing, wonder what made him change his mind about that - around 3 weeks ago?

Archived