BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venky's Takeover Complete

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This comment about a lack of communication with the British media, well:

1. There was a extensive interview with the LET (Mrs Desai)

2. The document sent to shareholders has a detailed account about their plans for the future.

They have been owners for... FOUR days, I dont see why this is a PR disaster etc etc.

I'm currently both slightly frustrated and worried with the press comments from our new owners.All the talk from the mysterious Mrs Desai (Big fan of Cricket not football...well I never!) being made to Indian papers with little info given to the British media?

GREAT START INDEED.

The bold statement above needs no 'tarting up' from me.Its what I feared from day one,our clubs welfare will come second to 'Venky' profits.OUR towns proud club is now being managed from Pune,India ....it's just now hitting home and its rather unsettling to say the least! :wacko:

Blackburn Rovers,an English footballing institution,as English as fish 'n' chips and Roast Beef Dinner....I fear we wont ever be or feel the same again.

The two Venkys chaps sat in their seats at today's match,shivering with Blanket's over knees, looked absolutely lost.

An unfortunate post. Thankfully your attitude is in the minority.

Are you sure Bucky? Sorry to dent your liberal opinion but you really do need to reconsider. I'd say SG194's comments easily represents the majority viepoint.

It was a turn of phrase, I don't own shares in the club.

Yes, Venky's own the club, but that doesn't mean they can start playing fast and loose with the club's heritage if they want the fans on their side. Before some nit-pickers insists they aren't playing fast and loose, I'm not insisting that they are.

I can't stop Venky's re-naming the stadium The Venky's Coop, changing the blue and white halves to all red, changing the team name to Venky Rovers and basically merchandising the club so that it's one long extended advert for Venky's, rather than a 135-year old football club. Doesn't mean I have to like it or support what they might do.

I don't get this attitude of "just accept it, it would be worse", but then again, it might be something to do with you coming from America and being used to sports franchises?

Maybe as an American I've been conditioned to not get worked up when corporations change arena names for marketing purposes. I accept the possibility. But it seems England is just as prone to corporate marketing. It appears to me that Rovers fans have been a bit spoilt due to the Walkers being 'traditionalists'. But the flip side of that is that the Walkers also let marketing opportunites slip by, to the financial detriment of the Rovers.

But leaving that aside, Venky's naming Ewood, "Venky's Ewood Park" does not seem to me to be a complete break with tradition. They were very clear that they wished to buy the Rovers for purposes of raising their corporate profile in England, Europe and the rest of the world. The Rovers are essentially an advertising platform. Naming the stadium after them, placing the Venky's name on Rovers' jerseys, having the Rovers play in India and the east (which paradoxically may raise awareness with England's Asian population), etc., are all things which they will do to get the Venky's name out. Which seems to me to be a sound game plan, considering the weekly world-wide viewing audience of the EPL.

And using the Rovers as a marketing platform I think is wonderful for two reasons. First, it gives the parent corporation, Venky's, an excuse to pour a few million or more into the club on an annual basis. And if they want to expand the recognition of the Venky's name into Europe they have to start funding the Rovers at a fairly significant level. Europe is not an unrealistic goal. We've been within striking distance for awhile, and should do better as some of the 'wealthier' clubs begin their implosion.

Second, that which raises the recognition of Venky's may well raise the recognition of the Rovers. Both translate into cash, directly or indirectly. Cash improves the chances of success. And while the Walkers were good for the club in many ways, Venkys as owners have the possibility of being better, long term.

So until they change Ewood to the Coop (as opposed to merely Venky's Ewood Park), the club's colors or otherwise act signficantly contrary to club tradition, we should all take a chill pill. Remember, its the club's history which, in part, attracted Venky's to the Rovers. From all appearances, they want to attach themselves to the club and its traditions, not vice-versa. There are obviously no guarantees, but the future does look, initially, bright. :rover:

very pleased with the new owners comments, I need a change, supporting Blackburn is a little dull the last few years, its good to know there is going to be some progression whatever it may be.

Whilst Sam is in charge we will never go down and only get stronger even if the football might not be great, he is a dam good manager, and for a club that has spent nothing in years, and only sell the best players, we are lucky to have him.

slightly excited about the future.

I also have no objections if they change Ewood Park to Venky's ewood. At the end of the day the Venky's are the ones putting in the money for the club.

In india VENKY'S ewood would provide the advertising they need for over there. To all of us in the uk, it would still be Ewood Park.

When ever Rovers are on TV, here or abroad and they mention Venky's Ewood park it would provide the world wide advert for both the club and Venky's.

My view, it is only a name and if the name can be used to generate interest and money for the club and even Venky's, then so be it.

They have agreed to keep the name of the Jack Walker Stand in place, Jack's statue etc. Venky's Ewood Park is in my view a good compromise.

Somebody mentioned that the council would object because the area is called Ewood. It would not make any difference. There is no law saying you have to name a football ground after the area it is in, for example, emirates.

I think you've just got my post a little bit muddled Pafell. If you care to go back and read it again what I actually said is the proposal by Mrs Desai to rename the stadium as Venkys Ewood would possibly lead to objections from residents of Ewood (the district) or the council, whereas calling the stadium Venkys Ewood Park would be quite valid.

Which bit? The stuff about the club or the tat about Indian supporters at the end?

All I can comment about are mates and the fans that sit around me. To a man, they seem uneasy with it, not against it, because everybody had long realised that the Trust was no longer an option, but it was certainly not a case of putting out the bunting.

Which bit? The stuff about the club or the tat about Indian supporters at the end?

The stuff about the club Paul. I've edited it to avoid misunderstanding.

I may be wrong but imo nothing that has happened at Ewood this week will convert the towns muslims to become staunch BRFC supporters. I don't understand why anybody would think it will.

People have complained a lot lately about the Trust as owners. I seriously hope that any time someone complains about Venky's they aren't automatically deemed racists!

I still have concerns about our new owners' motives and, although I did applaud when they were paraded today, I still feel nervous about them.

All I care about is that they look after the best interests of my club.

People have complained a lot lately about the Trust as owners. I seriously hope that any time someone complains about Venky's they aren't automatically deemed racists!

I still have concerns about our new owners' motives and, although I did applaud when they were paraded today, I still feel nervous about them.

All I care about is that they look after the best interests of my club.

I'll second that Jisty!! :D

Vinjay had a huge article printed in full on the 606 site. Loved this response!

comment by blueandwhitehalves1 (U14447936)

posted 2 Days Ago

What will become of Vinjay now? Is anyone else seriously worried? Will he just fade away forever and in 20 years we'll be questioning whether he ever did actually exist or we just imagined him? Or maybe it'll be like a spell has been lifted and on the front page of the LET tomorrow will be Vinjay's mum and a headline saying "I've got my son back!".

I always thought it but I would have never thought I'd say it - some of our fans on here are a fickle bunch. They hate Rovers now, think its dead with all this RIP @#/?, get over it, once the club starts bringing trophys we'll see how many of these so called fans we have come crawling back

Are you sure Bucky? Sorry to dent your liberal opinion but you really do need to reconsider. I'd say SG194's comments easily represents the majority viepoint.

You really do come across as incredibly pompous sometimes theno.. :angry2:

I'd also say you have absolutely no idea what the majority opinion is,that's pure guesswork on your part.

I would have thought any extra support from the sizeable local Indian community showing their backing for the Rao Brothers and thier new ownership of Rovers would have been welcome Paul.

Tat?

Early kick-off aside,I do believe today was Ewood's lowest crowd of the season?......................

At the end of the day if you are a Blackburn Rovers fan you will support the club. If you are not a Blackburn Rovers fan why should the nationality of the owner make you a supporter? Personally, I will judge the new owners on their actions not on their nationality. I welcome the fact that once the Trust decided they didn't want the club anymore that we have found owners who actually DO want to own Blackburn Rovers. What the future holds obviously nobody knows, but I am more than happy to give them a chance to try to take the club forward.

I'm currently both slightly frustrated and worried with the press comments from our new owners.All the talk from the mysterious Mrs Desai (Big fan of Cricket not football...well I never!) being made to Indian papers with little info given to the British media?

GREAT START INDEED.

The bold statement above needs no 'tarting up' from me.Its what I feared from day one,our clubs welfare will come second to 'Venky' profits.OUR towns proud club is now being managed from Pune,India ....it's just now hitting home and its rather unsettling to say the least! :wacko:

Blackburn Rovers,an English footballing institution,as English as fish 'n' chips and Roast Beef Dinner....I fear we wont ever be or feel the same again.

The two Venkys chaps sat in their seats at today's match,shivering with Blanket's over knees, looked absolutely lost.

Also,and rather controversially....where were Blackburn's large Indian community today at Ewood to celebrate this takeover?.THANKS FOR YOUR (NON) SUPPORT.

They do say Rome wasn't built in a day you know! Personally I thank the VH group for saving us from oblivion----no-one else was going to.

As for the Hovis ad stuff, Mr and Mrs England are more lightly to sit down to a chicken tikka than roast beef these days. Times have changed.

He us making a good job of smearing his own name IMO.

Does being w passionate fan give you carte blanche to say what you like?

He said that he didn't like the fact they spoke to the Indian media. But they are Indian hence they were always going to talk to the Indisn media ergo he doesn't like them because they are foreign. Xenophobia.

It's not a crime to be xenophobic but nor should people be afraid to say they don't like it.

Totally agree with you. SG 194, I'm wondering how is Mrs Desai "mysterious" exactly? Seems a warm, open person to me but I am only going on fleeting impressions. She shouldn't be told to "button it" either as one poster suggested since she actually owns the club!

Some traditional stances need to be reappraised in the "new world".

I'd also say you have absolutely no idea what the majority opinion is,that's pure guesswork on your part.

Pre match yeti-dog the change of ownership was the general topic of conversation amongst nearly everyone who I spoke to. I don't know where you sit but did you not discuss the takeover with whoever sits around you?

The stuff about the club Paul. I've edited it to avoid misunderstanding.

I may be wrong but imo nothing that has happened at Ewood this week will convert the towns muslims to become staunch BRFC supporters. I don't understand why anybody would think it will.

If any of the "town's muslims" dipped into this and many other threads, would they feel assured that they'd receive a warm welcome from their fellow townsfolk? Catch 22 isn't it?

Archived