BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham and relegation

Call me a bitter old git but I am actually enjoying the problems at Upton Park (or the Anne Boleyn or whatever it is). I have a number of reasons.

Firstly go back to the season with the Tevez affair. The game at Ewood was critical to their survival and started a run which kept them up, that victory was the most important result of the season. Tevez should never have been playing after all the unbelievable shady dealings about his registration. The linesman managed to make three appalling decisions, first one allowing a goal that never crossed the line which was blocked by Tevez in an offside position! Then he gave them a penalty that never was and finally, to add insult to injury spots a non-existent elbow from Bentley and he is sent off. Given how bent West Ham were at the time you do have to consider the benefits of those decisions to their then owners. Anyway that saw Sheffield United go down instead of them, a complete travesty.

Secondly their owners, Gold I can tolerate but Sullivan? The man dresses like a camp member of the KGB. Remember his insulting comments about Rovers during the Savage transfer? He also abused the previous owners about paying over the odds for players in terms of transfer prices and wages. Thank heavens he is such a buffoon as to sanction signing the unfit, overweight Benni McCarthy.

Thirdly they are from London.

Fourthly, they are a very poor side.

And finally, they play in Claret and Blue, need I say more.

I hoped they would go down sooner but they are working very hard this season to be relegated, long may it continue.

For some reason I have a weak spot for most of the "lesser" London teams (Hammers, QPR, Fulham, Crystal Palace) and I don't want to see them go down. However, having watched their last two games it does look rather likely. They're in desperate need of someone to shore up their midfield.

The team that helped us win the league. Always have a soft spot for them because of that day in May.

I'll always have a soft spot for Ludek Miklosko. Immense that day.

West Ham however - just like the Barcodes, I'll laugh as the camera pans around their crying fans at the end of the season. Oh, and their owners can go and play with the London traffic and all.

wham and fulham gone would be good too many london trips, newcastle look safe bet to stay up wolves will go but id love everton to take they're place.

horrible feeling grant will be sacked before christmas and they'll get the new manager 'bounce' to get them safe.....hope not

ok I can understand people's thoughts when we won the premiership but for me there relegation can't come soon enough I unfortunately the day they got 3 dubious goals to say the least was stuck in an east london pub in l'pool street and have to say that game was a travesty I also blame the fact when they won that game it prevented us from getting into Europe and ultimately led to Sparky saying au revoir so I can never forgive them for that also if it stops those creeps even bidding for the olympic stadium it will be a result and on the ethics of debt in football clubs with them being 100M in debt should not even be allowed to bid for the olympic stadium as the chances of them ever filling that stadium and even being able to pay of the debt is highly unlikely. So would hope the debt could be written off.The only thing I can be thankful to WHU for is being daft enough to give us 3M for Benni McD's I only hope when they go they never come back as the area around Upton Park is worse than Burnley and is the only prem ground when they close bar inside the ground at half time and during the match and if they were to go we might be able to take Victor Obinna here so here's hoping.Oh and don't tempt fate I am up for that game and hoping for a good trip back home after.

ok I can understand people's thoughts when we won the premiership but for me there relegation can't come soon enough I unfortunately the day they got 3 dubious goals to say the least was stuck in an east london pub in l'pool street and have to say that game was a travesty I also blame the fact when they won that game it prevented us from getting into Europe and ultimately led to Sparky saying au revoir so I can never forgive them for that also if it stops those creeps even bidding for the olympic stadium it will be a result and on the ethics of debt in football clubs with them being 100M in debt should not even be allowed to bid for the olympic stadium as the chances of them ever filling that stadium and even being able to pay of the debt is highly unlikely. So would hope the debt could be written off.The only thing I can be thankful to WHU for is being daft enough to give us 3M for Benni McD's I only hope when they go they never come back as the area around Upton Park is worse than Burnley and is the only prem ground when they close bar inside the ground at half time and during the match and if they were to go we might be able to take Victor Obinna here so here's hoping.Oh and don't tempt fate I am up for that game and hoping for a good trip back home after.

Villa didn't open the bar against us last season? Definitely no beer anyway, if that's what you mean

Is Benni McCarthy still under contract with them? I remember when he was leaving he was very excited to go the Hammers, talked all about how he wanted to get his chance at first team football again and get ready for the World Cup...and none of that happened.

Call me a bitter old git but I am actually enjoying the problems at Upton Park (or the Anne Boleyn or whatever it is). I have a number of reasons.

Firstly go back to the season with the Tevez affair. The game at Ewood was critical to their survival and started a run which kept them up, that victory was the most important result of the season. Tevez should never have been playing after all the unbelievable shady dealings about his registration. The linesman managed to make three appalling decisions, first one allowing a goal that never crossed the line which was blocked by Tevez in an offside position! Then he gave them a penalty that never was and finally, to add insult to injury spots a non-existent elbow from Bentley and he is sent off. Given how bent West Ham were at the time you do have to consider the benefits of those decisions to their then owners. Anyway that saw Sheffield United go down instead of them, a complete travesty.

I hope you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting there, because I can 100% assure you it's not true.

Other than that i agree totally with your post. The sooner they go and the longer they stay down, the better.

I hope you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting there, because I can 100% assure you it's not true.

Other than that i agree totally with your post. The sooner they go and the longer they stay down, the better.

Actually I don't believe there was any corruption involved in this case, just some dreadful decisions by the assistant referee which the referee got criticised for. For once I had sympathy for the ref. I actually felt the assistant referee had a bad day, same as some of the players! No difference, they are only human.

As an aside though there are lessons to be taken from Italy where officials are only announced a couple of days before a game as there have been issues in the past. Given the money in the game, the issues around betting (every generation of UK football has experienced it as well as abroad) we should go with something that protects the officials more.

The other thing should be to protect officials from players and managers, I am sick of the standard response of most penalised players being 'F*** off ref' (even a four year old can lip read that) and the rants after the game encouraged by the media. Perhaps a ban on all interviews until an hour after the game when the managers have calmed down?

As to West Ham I just feel that natural justice was not done in respect of the Blades and writing a cheque was not the answer. Particularly as the cost was significantly less than the revenue earned in the Premiership.

For their fans I feel as much sympathy as they would feel to us in a similar position.

Actually I don't believe there was any corruption involved in this case, just some dreadful decisions by the assistant referee which the referee got criticised for. For once I had sympathy for the ref. I actually felt the assistant referee had a bad day, same as some of the players! No difference, they are only human.

As an aside though there are lessons to be taken from Italy where officials are only announced a couple of days before a game as there have been issues in the past. Given the money in the game, the issues around betting (every generation of UK football has experienced it as well as abroad) we should go with something that protects the officials more.

The other thing should be to protect officials from players and managers, I am sick of the standard response of most penalised players being 'F*** off ref' (even a four year old can lip read that) and the rants after the game encouraged by the media. Perhaps a ban on all interviews until an hour after the game when the managers have calmed down?

As to West Ham I just feel that natural justice was not done in respect of the Blades and writing a cheque was not the answer. Particularly as the cost was significantly less than the revenue earned in the Premiership.

For their fans I feel as much sympathy as they would feel to us in a similar position.

Good post Roversider.

that's fine. it's just that Jim, as I said several times at the time, is married to my cousin and I can assure you that there was no corruption whatsoever. He has had real regrets about that day ever since - can't believe the number of things he got wrong and has never really done anything since in the way of linesman.

West Ham fans dont deserve what is happening to their club.A very loyal support even if they do have a tendancy to look down on other clubs fans like Rovers.

Well playing in Clarot and Blue they deserve relegation

:rover:

Archived