BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v West Ham

rovgers

265 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend as normal on Saturday?

• Yes
    • No - In protest
    • No - Unable to make it

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Sorry to abandon the 'thinking big' principles for a moment, but that half was perfect proof of why sacking Sam last week was a huge error.

This is no attack on Kean as a coach or manager, he hasn't had time to implement any changes in style and I'm not in any way having a go at him.

However, the reason Allardyce had us playing the way we did was because our team lacks the basic skills neccassary to utilize "entertaining football", as Venky's put it. Very few players in our team seem capable of anything above a simple short pass, our crossing is diabolical, our link up play never works and the players don't move into space quickly enough for each other. This team will never be able to play nice, free-flowing football.

So in short, either Venky's stump up some serious cash in Jan and replace a lot of our squad, or we should have just kept Allardyce and continue playing football that works to the strengths of these players. Ie a style that doesn't involve much creativity, just hard work and graft, which they are capable of.

Now, back to big thinking, sorry for the moment of madness there.

Robinson has done well, when called upon. I think there are too many players who don't know what to do and simply pass it back to him.

I also think Salgado has been one of our more creative players today. At least he is running and trying to get the ball in.

We may have the ball but we arent doing anything with it to threaten the opposition. Passing it along the half way line or middle third won't take us far.

:angry2:

We need to become a bit more direct and push them back and test the keeper.

Oh god. Has Allardyce really brainwashed our fans in two short years?

I can't understand why Kalinic is still on the bench and Benjani was preferred when Roberts had to go off.

Should've been a penalty.

I think it was a case of like for like and not having to change tactics........to be fair to them, they haven't had any proper opportunities created for them.

Plusses:

- we're winning the ball much further up the pitch

- Samba isn't trundling uselessly forwards for throw-ins

- 4-4-2 looked good until Roberts was replaced by the usless Benjani

Negatives:

- Benjani

- our weak spot of a lack of pace in our fullbacks has resulted in all WHU's chances

- Little to no creativity from the players whose job it is to provide it: EHD, Dunn, MGP

- Zero pace out wide (EHD, Dunn)

On 60 mins I would get EHD and salgado off. Emerton to RB, Dunn to CM, Olssen LW, Junior RW

Oh god. Has Allardyce really brainwashed our fans in two short years?

We haven't threatened the goal, or tested the rookie goalkeeper.

When is the last time we failed to score under Allardyce?

Of course, long term, we want better football. But to get 3 points today we need to do what we're good at - physical, direct play. It's rubbish so far.

Sorry to abandon the 'thinking big' principles for a moment, but that half was perfect proof of why sacking Sam last week was a huge error.

This is no attack on Kean as a coach or manager, he hasn't had time to implement any changes in style and I'm not in any way having a go at him.

However, the reason Allardyce had us playing the way we did was because our team lacks the basic skills neccassary to utilize "entertaining football", as Venky's put it. Very few players in our team seem capable of anything above a simple short pass, our crossing is diabolical, our link up play never works and the players don't move into space quickly enough for each other. This team will never be able to play nice, free-flowing football.

So in short, either Venky's stump up some serious cash in Jan and replace a lot of our squad, or we should have just kept Allardyce and continue playing football that works to the strengths of these players. Ie a style that doesn't involve much creativity, just hard work and graft, which they are capable of.

Now, back to big thinking, sorry for the moment of madness there.

No, the reason Allardyce had us playing the way we did is that he honestly believes it is the best approach to playing football. He played the exact same way with superior squads at both Bolton and Newcastle.

I think Rovers have gotten some good balls into the box, but neither Mame Diouf nor Benjani (terrible so far) have gotten close to them.

Archived