503 members have voted

1. 1. Are Venkys right to have stuffed \Big Sam

• Yes, glad hes flown the coop
    • I'd have given him a bit more time.
    • No, theyve cocked this up.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but pacy/creative players always cost more money than strong tough tackling ones.

And although Chimbonda was a poor signing, Salgado has proved to be a great bit of business.

We were happy to bring in Goulon & Linganzi, who have made no impact at the club, but nothing in the way of attacking potential (loans, trials, otherwise). Sam and his scouts weren't up to much on that front.

No, but pacy/creative players always cost more money than strong tough tackling ones.

And although Chimbonda was a poor signing, Salgado has proved to be a great bit of business.

Agreed, Sam has clearly admitted Chimbonda was a bad signing hence telling him he can go. Salgado has been worth the money in my eyes.

I'd raise Kalinic as a "bad signing" but he never plays him and at the time we needed a striker.

Apart from that, I don't know where else we've spent any money. Nor can I think of any midfield maestro's who we could afford to splash out on (and by splashing out I mean spending our 50p and a Mars bar transfer budget.)

There seems to be 3 threads touching on the same thing so I'll put this in all 3:

I have to say that while I was always a fan of Sam as a person, even when he was managing at Bolton, I never could take his brand of football. However, he was the right choice at the right time for the predicament we found ourselves in this time 2 years ago. Saddled with owners who steadfastly refused to bear the financial burden of keeping our playing staff up to snuff, he managed us out of relegation trouble to a cup semifinal & a top-half finish. So thank you Mr. Allardyce for keeping us up, for getting Jonesy started in the first team and for bringing us Gael Givet & Mickey Salgado. May your health post-surgery continue to improve and best wishes to your family.

As for why this happened? As the second half wore on yesterday I was thinking: "He's history at the end of this campaign." There was no way after the disaster at Old Trafford or yesterday's huge lost opportunity that they were going to blow £20M + or whatever it is they intend to spend on him. I've the strange sensation this afternoon that Barry Blue'nWhite & siblings have come to the conclusion that the only way to make this work for them is to have the club in the CL on a regular basis and that there was little chance that Sam's brand of football or the type of players it attracts could get us there.

I honestly think that's possible, Venky's want to market us and would want to take us 'on tour' in India at some tage I imagine, they may think a name like Maradonna will attract people to the club.

Let's hope not, greatest footballer I've seen in my lifetime. Manager probably one of the worst,very sad to see Big Sam go.

Thank you for everything Big man.

Have to say am very shocked by the news.

Sam was far from the perfect manager, but to be honest, even his biggest critics will have to admit that he did a decent to good job with rovers.

I did have reservations about Sam spending money - and indeed his lack of transfer activity this summer strengthened those reservations. However, given what he has done with the club in his time in charge - comfortably survived and 10th in his first full season, it's hard to argue that he should not have been given a chance with more money. What more realistically could Sam have done? (And who knows he could've spent it well, I recall the likes of Anelka coming to Bolton, so it's not like he's dire with money.)

I won't miss Sam's arogance or getting rolled over by big scores more regularly than I can recall, nor some of the worse football we played. But even with all of the negatives still thrown in I'd be pretty confident under Sam we'd survive in the Prem and hold our own. I was confident under Sam we'd scrape and scrap our way to survival, and would win a decent number of games, especially at home.

A new manager is a risk, and am not sure of too many managers out there who I'd feel as confident of safety with. If it were a stick or twist situation in a card game all but the biggest of gamblers would stick. Sure the potential rewards might be better under Jol, or O Neil, but I'd also class both having a lot more risk attached as well. Not sure we were/are in a position where we can take that gamble, even with the new ownership.

As for why this happened? As the second half wore on yesterday I was thinking: "He's history at the end of this campaign." There was no way after the disaster at Old Trafford or yesterday's huge lost opportunity that they were going to blow £20M + or whatever it is they intend to spend on him. I've the strange sensation this afternoon that Barry Blue'nWhite & siblings have come to the conclusion that the only way to make this work for them is to have the club in the CL on a regular basis and that there was little chance that Sam's brand of football or the type of players it attracts could get us there.

Don't think you're a million miles away there Doc. Nicko has been alluding to the fact we have a few quid to spend. Could well be that we are unable to attract the calibre of player with Allardyce in charge.

Never have Blackburn Rovers got rid of a manager in such haste. Surely the right time to change the manager was the end of the season, not now. They must surely have a man lined up or this would be even more crazy.

Sam Allardyce: OK we know how his teams play and at times it has been grim grim grim. I myself have said in the past I wanted Sam to go, I don't think any fan would really WANT Sam to manage their team but sometimes the ends justify the means, however I would have never changed the manager at the point we are at right now. At the end of the day he was brought in to keep us in the league and then finish top half and he did it with absolutly no funds. We all would like a more attacking approach and more goals and indeed more wins, but I struggle to think of another manager who could have done what he has at Rovers. So thanks Sam and good luck.

Venkys: Was John Williams consulted about this move? If they think they know football in England better than JW then we are in trouble. If Kentaro are instigating things we are in big trouble. Surely we could have least kept Sam until Xmas and tried to get to 28-30 points first. I hope to god they have more than the £5M mentioned and if they have the don't waste it. Very concerned at the moment. We are a steady club and it won't take much rocking to see us out of the division.

Players: Whether they liked Sam or not I would ask them all to be as professional as they have been over the last 10 seasons and perform as well as they can for the new manager whoever it is.

Fans: Don't panic......yet. We have a big game on Saturday that we need to win so lets give them our support, we don't need discontent in the stands at this time, that can wait a while yet!

New Manager: So many bad managers are around and available at the moment I struggle to think of one I would be confident about and happy with. Just hope he isn't a Kentaro puppet.

Very shocked by all this, I cant understand the timing. I was sure Sam would be on a collision course after the statement made by the owners about the quality of the performances but now.....really?

I have never been a fan of Sams football its very hard to watch and enjoy but at the time it was needed to drag us out of the mire and as I have said a few times im not sure Sam would be the best manager to take us forward but I have no idea who is going to come in and do a better job.

Archived