Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BIG SAM GONE

Hughesy

503 members have voted

1. 1. Are Venkys right to have stuffed \Big Sam

• Yes, glad hes flown the coop
    • I'd have given him a bit more time.
    • No, theyve cocked this up.

We were happy to bring in Goulon & Linganzi, who have made no impact at the club, but nothing in the way of attacking potential (loans, trials, otherwise). Sam and his scouts weren't up to much on that front.

Big news for you, every club signs players that don't feature much. That's a part and parcel of being a football manager. Alex Ferguson has got many examples over the years.

Goulon and Linganzi cost pretty much next to nothing - which illustrates my point perfectly. I'll say this point again - the big strong players with not that much technical skill cost a lot less than flair creative players with a good range of passing. Why do you think Hughes managed to sign Chris Samba so cheaply?!

Sam had very, very limited resources. Kalinic at £6 million hasn't been a success - but then in the Premier League even £6 million isn't that much for a striker. I bet I could name you more strikers signed by Premier League clubs who have been a failure for that sort of price than who've been a success. And he did get attacking potential in, remember how excited we were by Di Santo last season? I know he didn't come to much but he came highly rated. He's got Mame Diouf in up front too, and now we've got money in was looking for some quality additions from a creative side. Granted he didn't get many creative players as loans in midfield but when you're getting loans in there's hardly a big supply of quality there is there?

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inevitable.

Given the reasons they bought the club, Allardyce's cynical approach couldn't possibly sit well with them. They didn't spend all that money just so we could scrap to stay up every year.

They clearly weren't going to give him 10-15 million to spend.

And as for the comments that this isn't the way we do things, it's exactly the way we did things with Don McKay. 2 playoffs and the Full Members Cup when we had absolutley nothing in the kitty, sacked 5 games in because he didn't fit with Jack's ambitions for the club. The only difference is that the fans were all happy with Don, unlike Sam.

We can only judge if it was a good decision when we see the new man, who he brings in, our results and our excitement level.

I am shocked and quite frankly, totally disgusted. So much for the new owners promises only a matter of weeks ago that Sam would be keeping his job. If this is going to be how the new owners go about things, then I fear the name of Blackburn Rovers will never be the same again. I appreciate that no manager is in a position for life but the way he has been sacked is not acceptable. The club could soon be struggling with no leader in place. I do wonder about the continuing position of John Williams. If he goes, then we really do have severe problems

The manager has served his purpose, and that was keeping us in the premiership and maintaining that status. We didn’t know that a takeover was imminent, but that was case, and Allardyce has done a good job to keep us ticking over.

Not going to dwell on his football philosophy etc etc, but its not acceptable to play mundane negative football week after week, we lost many fans over his tenure, they will now hopefully return.

Absolutely fantastic decision and great timing also, you can’t give Allardyce the transfer budget if you’re looking to sack him, that happens far to often.

Don't think you're a million miles away there Doc. Nicko has been alluding to the fact we have a few quid to spend. Could well be that we are unable to attract the calibre of player with Allardyce in charge.

The manager thought he was getting money to spend.

He knew NOTHING about what was going to happen today.

Not sure the chairman was aware of it either.

Total bombshell - even if I could see it coming a few weeks ago but had to say I thought he had won the argument.

Obviously not.

So there was a collision course after all.

Have to say am very shocked by the news.

Sam was far from the perfect manager, but to be honest, even his biggest critics will have to admit that he did a decent to good job with rovers.

I did have reservations about Sam spending money - and indeed his lack of transfer activity this summer strengthened those reservations.

?

We had no money and the previous board thought we might be getting taken over, what was Sam meant to do with a zero transfer budget?

shocking decision ...atleast give the man a chance when he is given money to spend - hes done a great job for us with no money and now this ....

i feel sorry for allardyce ...

it was exciting times under the new owners but now for me this is just back to square one ..shocking, shocking , shocking !!!!!!

Absolutely astonished to hear the news. Whilst not a great fan of the style of football we have been watching, I feel that the timing of this decision could prove disastrous, particularly given the importance of the next two games against our mid-table/relegation rivals, and the potential effect on team morale. The decision will be even more difficult to understand if Venkys do not have an immediate replacement lined up. I can only assume that they were not prepared to trust Sam with transfer funds in January but I sincerely hope the decision does not backfire on them. We all like to watch free flowing football, but I would sooner Sam had remained till the end of the season than try to alter our style of play at such a crucial time of the season.I very much fear that the West Ham fans and team will have received a great boost by this news.

Managers rarely survive new ownership so in that regard it's unsurprising, but as many have said the timing is very poor. I've been very skeptical of Venky's from the start but will wait and see what their solution is before making any hasty judgements. Thanks to Sam for keeping us up last season and for a reasonable start to the year.

I am shocked and quite frankly, totally disgusted. So much for the new owners promises only a matter of weeks ago that Sam would be keeping his job. If this is going to be how the new owners go about things, then I fear the name of Blackburn Rovers will never be the same again. I appreciate that no manager is in a position for life but the way he has been sacked is not acceptable. The club could soon be struggling with no leader in place. I do wonder about the continuing position of John Williams. If he goes, then we really do have severe problems

Totally agree with those sentiments. Sam's style was not my cup of tea but nevertheless we kept our PL status under his guidance, which at the end of the day has to be regarded as the be all and end all of what a club the size of Rovers is about.

Of course there may be money to spend, that has already been promised, but so was Sam.s position as manager. I shall not believe another word from the owners now.

Since the death of Uncle Jack,the continuation of his philosophy has been watched over by John Williams, who in my opinion is the best Chairman/Chief Executive in the prem. My worry now is that he can also see some disturbance to the club as a whole. He as made no comment on the days news which to my mind means that he his not in agreement with it. If we lose John Williams to then that would spell disaster.

Worrying as a lot of managers can't or won't work under that sort of setup. You think the likes of Jol would be interested in the job when he had a similar problem with Comolli making transfer decisions at Spurs?

It's not just that, to my knowledge at least Commoli wasn't tied to a specific agencies' players/recommended players. He was just a sporting director who ended up making some decent signings and actually signed a lot of very good players.

But the involvement of Kentaro makes this a different kettle of fish IMO.

Sky sports are reporting that Sam's sacking was over the transfers he wanted his players and refused the list they had which were all their players.

That is not good, J.williams will be gone soon too.

As much as I did'nt like Sam's negative football I am very worried the way the club is going.

Archived