Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BIG SAM GONE

Hughesy

503 members have voted

1. 1. Are Venkys right to have stuffed \Big Sam

• Yes, glad hes flown the coop
    • I'd have given him a bit more time.
    • No, theyve cocked this up.

The manager thought he was getting money to spend.

Total bombshell - even if I could see it coming a few weeks ago but had to say I thought he had won the argument.

Obviously not.

So there was a collision course after all.

Key to alot of this from a fan's point of view; who had the better shopping list - Kentaro or Sam. Were the players like Nzogbia, and the ten million striker you have mentioned Kentaro sourced or Sam?

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Key to alot of this from a fan's point of view; who had the better shopping list - Kentaro or Sam. Were the players like Nzogbia, and the ten million striker you have mentioned Kentaro sourced or Sam?

In relation to this has anyone got a complete list of his transfers in at Newcastle? I don't have a list to hand but from memory some of the big money buys were pretty woeful.

Big news for you, every club signs players that don't feature much. That's a part and parcel of being a football manager. Alex Ferguson has got many examples over the years.

Goulon and Linganzi cost pretty much next to nothing - which illustrates my point perfectly. I'll say this point again - the big strong players with not that much technical skill cost a lot less than flair creative players with a good range of passing. Why do you think Hughes managed to sign Chris Samba so cheaply?!

Sam had very, very limited resources. Kalinic at £6 million hasn't been a success - but then in the Premier League even £6 million isn't that much for a striker. I bet I could name you more strikers signed by Premier League clubs who have been a failure for that sort of price than who've been a success. And he did get attacking potential in, remember how excited we were by Di Santo last season? I know he didn't come to much but he came highly rated. He's got Mame Diouf in up front too, and now we've got money in was looking for some quality additions from a creative side. Granted he didn't get many creative players as loans in midfield but when you're getting loans in there's hardly a big supply of quality there is there?

More excuses, mate.

You can't just handwave every argument against Sam by saying he's had limited resources. Charlie Adam joined Blackpool for £500,000. Sam's supposed to be a manager who can operate on a shoestring and unearth diamonds in the rough, but there has been nothing in terms of attacking midfielders. He was more preoccupied with giants who can cover a lot of ground and jump high, but can't do anything with the ball.

More excuses, mate.

You can't just handwave every argument against Sam by saying he's had limited resources. Charlie Adam joined Blackpool for £500,000. Sam's supposed to be a manager who can operate on a shoestring and unearth diamonds in the rough, but there has been nothing in terms of attacking midfielders. He was more preoccupied with giants who can cover a lot of ground and jump high, but can't do anything with the ball.

He was more preoccupied with players that would turn us into a solid, hard to beat side. Which he succeeded with mostly, apart from the occasional aberration.

Charlie Adam is one of the few exceptions to the rule; and obviously limited resources is a pretty good argument considering there's a very heavy correlation between how attractive a side play and the money spent on them once you take the various one season wonders out of the equation like Blackpool will arguably end up being.

Nicko can you confirm the transfer collision for the main reason for the sacking

All I can gather is that the manager knew nothing about this - and was planning to sign new players - until he was called in at 2pm.

In a matter of minutes he was gone.

No reason was given.

The owners have other ideas - and their advisers have too.

I thought the summit last week had gone in the manager's favour and there is definitely money to spend.

But we are talking with a whole new animal here in the new guys.

A big clue was that pic with Akon and Lennox Lewis last week.

Celebrity chasers.

Just a bit sick I ignored a tip on who the next manager or 'face of Rovers' was going to be last week...I laughed when I heard...I am not laughing now.

Sky saying it was to do with transfers. Sam had one list, however Venky's said he had to choose from their (Kentaro approved) list.

I don't buy that, I think its just Rovers bashing media mischief, the reporter probably needed a map to find Ewood.

The football was terrible, and they didn’t want him blowing the budget like he did at Newcastle, simple as that.

All I can gather is that the manager knew nothing about this - and was planning to sign new players - until he was called in at 2pm.

No reason was given.

I thought the summit last week had gone in the manager's favour and there is definitely money to spend.

Celebrity chasers.

Just a bit sick I ignored a tip on who the next manager or 'face of Rovers' was going to be last week...I laughed when I heard...I am not laughing now.

Laughed off a new manager or laughed at the suggested name?!

Wednesday, 9 January 2008

Any of the following look familiar???

Newcastle have ended Sam Allardyce's managerial reign after eight months. The club, currently 11th in the Premier League.

Allardyce, who was in charge for 24 games, said: "I'm disappointed but I wish them all the best for the future. It was a shock, I didn't expect it."

Earlier on Wednesday, Allardyce had attended a news conference ahead of that game but gave no hint that his time at the club might be coming to an end.

Indeed, the 53-year-old had discussed his plans for the January transfer window and, ironically, spoke about the lack of time afforded to Premier League managers in the modern-day game.

However, shortly afterwards, Newcastle announced news of his departure with a statement on their official website.

He was quickly working under a new regime at St James' Park after billionaire Mike Ashley completed his takeover, and long-standing chairman Freddy Shepherd left the club.

Anyone remember what happened after this? It's hard not to feel nervous about our future. Very uncetain times.

###### off right now, seriously i am. what a disgrace. this is ###### ridiculous, and no doubt a decision made by Kentro, not Venkys

Not being funny iceman, but if you'd paid to watch that dross week in week out you'd have a different opinion.

No reason was given.

Celebrity chasers.

Who the New Manager???

Archived