BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

Still, let's not divert this thread too far. Kean has no option other than to go for a win. That's something he hasn't had to do yet. Let's hope he knows what he's doing.

That was exactly how the sky commentary team saw it as well. They were impressed by how we set up and how we limited Utd to sp few chances. They didn't play well because we didn't let them.

Our first priority is to limit Wolves chances of scoring, if Wolves become more desperate we can catch them on the break.

I don't think we will lose at Wolves.

Question is can Kean get the team to win. I'm not so sure that he can (1 in the last 12 or something similar backs this up). There's a decent chance we're going to need a win - and I'm not sure Kean has a strategy on how to do this.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question is can Kean get the team to win. I'm not so sure that he can (1 in the last 12 or something similar backs this up). There's a decent chance we're going to need a win - and I'm not sure Kean has a strategy on how to do this.

Please explain how there is a "decent chance" of three clubs below us winning away?

If they were all playing the same teams at home I would still fancy at least one to fail to win.

There is a slim chance of us needing to win. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, of course it could, but it's unlikely.

I've been saying for weeks that Brum could easily lose their last 3 games and go down. I think that's now extremely likely and therefore there are 4 of us fighting to avoid the last relegation position. Of these, we are in the best position but obviously would go down if all the others win. If I'm right, a draw would be enough.

So it is nail biting and I'd prefer to play a team with nothing to play for but it would be really astonishing (and heart-breaking) if we go down from here.

No Simon. You have this idea that 4-4-2 is a more attacking formation than 4-5-1, which it isn't. If we'd played 4-4-2 yesterday, we'd probably have lost. If we go to Wolves and lose the midfield battle, we'll get beat.

With Hoilett and Olsen in the team 451 very quickly becomes 433. With Dunn in the team, well it's worst of both worlds.

With Hoilett and Olsen in the team 451 very quickly becomes 433.

You're right Paul, 4-5-1 gives you more options for getting players forward. They also have the advantage of coming from deep and so don't get picked up by defenders as easily as two strikers playing up front do.

The past 2 weeks have seen plenty of unexpected twists and turns and I expect a few more on the last day.

Watching Match of the Day Birmingham were awful and with Tottenham away in their last game I think they're gone.

Stoke have nothing to play for and Wigan are capable of winning that match. N'Zogbia is on top form.

The big shock I think will be Blackpool winning at Old Trafford. Don't ask me why - something in me water tells me they will.

Which leaves Rovers having to avoid defeat at a rampant Wolves to stay up.

The new owners wanted more excitement when they sacked Sam - they have got their wish.

Totally agree. I'd not risk the other teams not getting anything truth be told. Blackpool and Wigan have both shown that they can pull off good/shock results and brum also aren't totally useless. Added in the fact that two relegation places are up for grabs AND the fact that Wolves will be highly up for it (a draw is less of a guarentee of safety for them than it is us) and I'm feeling rather nervous about the weekend. This has been the most unpredictable season in a long time, and I'm a lot less confident about things going as they logically should this year than in years past.

Having said that, it is still in our own hands and there's a decent shout for us to stay up. Heck, we're a better team than Wolves imo, and the opportunity to make sure we're certainly safe should motivate and spur us on for all 3 pts.

• Backroom

To be fair Jim in your Scenario all we need is a draw not a win. A draw would send Brum and wolves down in that case

'Decent shout? According to odds checker we are 10-1 against to go down, Wolves 8-1 against, Birmingham n Wigan both 8-11 on, Blackpool 1-3 on. Will be battle between B''ham n Wigan. I think B''ham to go down with blackpool. The fact that bookmakers have such long odds on us AND Wolves makes me think they think we will play for draw.

WHam have gone. Assuming the worst outcome for us and we don't get any points against Wolves ...

If two below us lose then we stay up.

If two below us draw then we stay up (GD).

If two below us win then we go down.

A draw is of no use to us under any circumstances, it's binary then only two results matter we win or we lose otherwise nothing else matters.

I can see Wigan winning and Big Club and Blackpool getting a draw at best, therefore we survive even with a lose. The logic for me then is to set up for an all out assault and go for the win, we'll probably survive even with a loss, a draw means nothing changes and unless we ship 6+ goals there's no downside to an all out attack. Win and we can stop worrying, lose and we'll be sweating on what 'should happen' elsewhere.

Donut should go flat out for the win with as many attacking players on the pitch that he can manage.

I've had a really heavy weekend and it's early so my brain may well be fogged, but this is right isn't it? Or am I in a fools paradise, sums were never my strong point.

Blackpool aren't beating United at home. They're unbeaten all season at Old Trafford and it's the presentation of the title, they won't be turning over for anyone.

Their second string side should be enough to beat Blackpool, at the very least a get a draw. Players like ANderson, Scholes, Valencia/Nani, Berbatov, Smalling. All good enough to do the job.

Can;t see Birmingham getting anything more than a point at Spurs, especially how they're playing at the moment. Wigan are the dark horses, they may pull something out of the bag.

I'm very confident we're safe, as are the bookies. They aren't wrong often.

A draw keeps us above Wolves, which is a must!

Yes you are right, the draw comes into the equation if two below us win and one fails to win, in that case a draw would send the team that failed to win and Wolves down, if that scenario does happen then I don't think my heart would be able to take, imagine that this is the scenario going into the last 5 minutes against Wolves, the tension would be unbearable.

Yes you are right, the draw comes into the equation if two below us win and one fails to win, in that case a draw would send the team that failed to win and Wolves down, if that scenario does happen then I don't think my heart would be able to take, imagine that this is the scenario going into the last 5 minutes against Wolves, the tension would be unbearable.

Unbearable! :o

Another encouraging point is that we've got the first goal in the last 3 games. When we do that we rarely lose. The converse is too awful to think about.

And "yes" we shouldn't go win or bust from the off because a draw might well send Wolves down ahead of us. Kean needs to bring his trannie!

Uefa have just announced England have been given an extra uefa cup spot, which means tottenham don't need to beat Birmingham anymore :-/

Strange time to announce it given the possible ramifications on the last day

• Backroom

Uefa have just announced England have been given an extra uefa cup spot, which means tottenham don't need to beat Birmingham anymore :-/

Still far the better team at home though

If Spurs do go through via the fair play league, that would mean they have to qualify for the Europa League from the qualifying stages, which means them having to play more games.

Or is that just wishful thinking?

EDIT: Fulham currently occupy top spot. So Spurs do need to win to get into Europe.

Archived