BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

Thanks- now understand how I shrunk the text!

For those of a conspiratorial bent, have to say that of the five clubs in trouble, our's is the club that the Premier League authorities would be happiest to see becoming somebody else's problem.

I expect we will be playing Wolves, the crowd and the officials.

Makes no difference. It feels like we've been playing the officials since Fulham. Everyone knows we have to look to ourselves and cannot shift the blame elsewhere if we do go down. But a simple matter of ABSOLUTE fact, one which nobody can deny is we would NOT be in this position if some of the obscene decisions which have gone against us had not.

At the end of every game I feel like I have a little moan but that is my passion for the game in the heat of a moment. But this season looking at games separately in an objective manner, as unbiased as I can bring myself to be, we have been done over. Every bar possibly one or two there have been awful decisions given against us. Many of which have been game changing.

I feel it is silly to shout conspiracy, maybe we just haven't got the rub of the green, maybe there is an underlying feeling in the footballing world that we deserve to go because of what has happened off the pitch which has spread to the referees. Who knows but there's one thing for sure. It ain't been fair!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of a conspiratorial bent, have to say that of the five clubs in trouble, our's is the club that the Premier League authorities would be happiest to see becoming somebody else's problem.

Take a guess as to how many away wins there were on the last day last season.

1. Blackburn beating Villa.

Do you really believe the powers that be would conspire against us to send us down? If you really believe that then why do you care?

What is the point?

West Ham won at Old Trafford a few seasons to save themselves. When they are playing well like against Bolton at the weekend Blackpool can score goals against anybody and their away record is very good. A win at Old Trafford is not improbable..

Despite their away form Wigan are a good bet to win at Stoke too. After their cup final defeat and a midweek game against City I just cannot see Stoke being up for it.

Wolves' confidence will be high after two successive wins and they will feel they can beat Rovers. Fletcher is a in very good form and could be a problem for us.

The worst-case scenario of Wigan, Wolves and Blackpool all winning could easily happen.

Stoke also play on Tuesday night against Man City, that could have an impact on how they play on Sunday. I agree with your comments about Blackpool their away record is decent and they have plenty of goals in their team. Fletcher has been scoring goals recently for Wolves but they also might have Doyle back for the game, he was on the bench at the weekend and could start against us on Sunday.

I'm very nervous about this weekend and my gut feeling is we may have to rely on other results elsewhere for us to stay up.

We have had some "positive results" recently so why all the fretting about Wolves??

Kean said: “It is a huge game but we have to continue like we have done over the last eight games, where we have picked up six positive results.

• Backroom

I just hope it isn't all hinging on a goal or two going into the last few minutes, as yesterday evidenced a second can change everything.

It would be even worse had we got 0 points on Saturday and teams only needed a draw to overtake us

There are 4 teams in the division who would give a heck of a lot to be in our position instead of theirs right now. I cannot see Birmingham beating Spurs or Blackpool beating Utd both away from home and on the same day. Blackpool cannot defend and Birmingham have a terrible away record, are depleted by injuries and are coming up against a Spurs team who have something to play for.

Its beyond 'unlikely' that we'll go down. Its not impossible and for it to still be a distant possibility is obviously mildly concerning but for it to occur it'd come about as a result of the most remarkable premier league weekend arguably ever witnessed.

"mildly concerning"? I envy you!

Wigan fans at work are celebrating as if all they have to do on Sunday @ Stoke is turn up :angry2: somehow dont think Tony Pullis will let stoke roll over............hope not

My thought exactly. They looked like they were celebrating safety yesterday. I think that will come back to haunt them.

• Moderation Lead

I see Wigan escaping, and Brum and Blackpool going down. Highly unlikely they'll both get victories from OT and WHL. Someone said earlier, that other teams need a point to pass us? That's providing we get battered by Wolves I assume? Our goal difference is one of the only shining lights we have atm!

Stoke are currently 9th - should they lose to City tomorrow then they will need to win to claim their 1st ever top 10 finish in the prem. I for one do not believe they will sit back & want to let Wigan win.

3 to go down....West Ham, Birmingham, Blackpool

Wigan fans at work are celebrating as if all they have to do on Sunday @ Stoke is turn up :angry2: somehow dont think Tony Pullis will let stoke roll over............hope not

Unfortunately, I expect Stoke will make it no more difficult for Wigan than they made it for Citeh.

Sorry you cannot just come out with that and not add anything further. Anyway QPR had about 7 allegations against them - yes different league as I am aware. Not all of them stuck and they got a small fine.

I suggest what venkys have done is nothing more than what they told the prem when they approached the prem during the takeover saga.

Unfortunately, I expect Stoke will make it no more difficult for Wigan than they made it for Citeh.

No more difficult??

A half fit team that held the big spenders until Yaya scored late on for a 1-0 win?? Id hardly say considering the vast difference in resource & available players they made it easy for them!

What ARE you on about ?

What he's been on about for months. The fact that there is a lot of undisclosed info about the takeover and the role of JA in signing players etc and when it comes out it will be a cause for points deductions or other measures. If we get relegated the FL rather than the PL will have to deal with it. Whether this is fact or a rumour and opinion, or a combination of the 2 we don't know but Philip seems to think it's fact.

On the basis the bookies don't often get things wrong, I've been looking at some odds on Sunday's games......

Wolves to win : about evens, draw 11/5

Wigan to win : 6/4

Blackpool to win : 9/2

Brum to win : 11/2

So, the odds on us losing and 2 of Wigan, Blackpool, and Brum winning is around 12/1 I reckon. The price that we seem to be for relegation strangely ;) .

And the odds on us drawing, then Wigan, Blackpool, and Brum all winning is around 110/1 .

To put that 12/1 in some sort of context, at the weekend Motherwell were about that price to win at Celtic. Celtic won 4-0.

Hope that helps people rest easier.

Had nothing to do on my lunch so figured I'd try and work out every possible scenario for us on the last day, just to try and relieve some of the stress I am already feeling. Anyway its pretty boring but just thought I'd share it.

Hopefully I am not tempting fate by neglecting to include a 7-0 loss to Wolves in the scenarios.

<b>We win against Wolves</b>

Blackpool draw. Birmingham and Wigan lose. We are safe

Birmingham draw. Blackpool and Wigan lose. We are safe

Wigan draw. Blackpool and Birmingham lose. We are safe

Blackpool and Birmingham draw. Wigan lose. We are safe

Blackpool and Wigan draw. Birmingham lose. We are safe

Birmingham and Wigan draw. Blackpool lose. We are safe

Blackpool, Birmingham and Wigan draw. We are safe

Blackpool win. Birmingham and Wigan draw. We are safe

Birmingham win. Blackpool and Wigan draw. We are safe

Wigan win. Blackpool and Birmingham draw. We are safe

Blackpool win. Birmingham and Wigan lose. We are safe

Birmingham win. Blackpool and Wigan lose. We are safe

Wigan win. Blackpool and Birmingham lose. We are safe

Blackpool and Wigan win. Birmingham lose. We are safe

Blackpool and Birmingham win. Wigan lose. We are safe

Birmingham and Wigan win. Blackpool lose. We are safe

Blackpool and Wigan win. Birmingham draw. We are safe

Blackpool and Birmingham win. Wigan draw. We are safe

Birmingham and Wigan win. Blackpool draw. We are safe

Blackpool, Birmingham and Wigan win. We are safe

Blackpool, Birmingham and Wigan lose. We are safe

Blackpool win. Birmingham draw and Wigan lose. We are safe

Blackpool win. Birmingham lose and Wigan draw. We are safe

Birmingham win. Blackpool draw and Wigan lose. We are safe

Birmingham win. Blackpool lose and Wigan draw. We are safe

Wigan win. Blackpool draw and Birmingham lose. We are safe

Wigan win. Blackpool lose and Birmingham draw. We are safe

<b>We draw with Wolves</b>

Blackpool and Wigan win. Birmingham lose. We are safe

Blackpool and Birmingham win. Wigan lose. We are safe

Birmingham and Wigan win. Blackpool lose. We are safe

Blackpool and Wigan win. Birmingham draw. We are safe

Blackpool and Birmingham win. Wigan draw. We are safe

Birmingham and Wigan win. Blackpool draw. We are safe

Blackpool, Birmingham and Wigan win. We are down

<b>We lose against wolves</b>*

Blackpool and Birmingham win. Wigan lose. We are down

Blackpool and Wigan win. Birmingham lose. We are down

Birmingham and Wigan win. Blackpool lose. We are down

Blackpool and Birmingham win. Wigan draw. We are down

Blackpool and Wigan win. Birmingham draw. We are down

Birmingham and Wigan win. Blackpool draw. We are down

Blackpool, Birmingham and Wigan win. We are down

*Not by a ridiculous score like 7-0

From what I can tell (and provided I did this correctly) there are 71 different scenarios of which only 8 will send us down.

What he's been on about for months. The fact that there is a lot of undisclosed info about the takeover and the role of JA in signing players etc and when it comes out it will be a cause for points deductions or other measures. If we get relegated the FL rather than the PL will have to deal with it. Whether this is fact or a rumour and opinion, or a combination of the 2 we don't know but Philip seems to think it's fact.

Oh that's brilliant ! :( So if we achieve the unlikely and stay up this weekend we could get Warnocked afterwards ?

This club will put me in the nuthouse :o

From what I can tell (and provided I did this correctly) there are 71 different scenarios of which only 8 will send us down.

Cheers. I printed it out and put it up on my office.

Will defently be a good read to calm my self down during the week.

Archived