BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ronaldinho

I think it would be quite unique if he did decide to come over. When Robinho moved to Man City, they already had class players in the squad. Can you imagine Ronaldinho slotting into our current depleted squad though? It'll be bizarre.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Globesporte don't even consider us as a contender. In their article that sums up what's happened recently they say "Four competitors and only one player" refering to Corinthians, Flemengo, Palmeiras and Gremio.

I think it would be quite unique if he did decide to come over. When Robinho moved to Man City, they already had class players in the squad. Can you imagine Ronaldinho slotting into our current depleted squad though? It'll be bizarre.

They had Kompany and SWP, else the rest of the squad were Eriksson's mob. Robinho was the first arrival in the Mansour era...

They had Kompany and SWP, else the rest of the squad were Eriksson's mob. Robinho was the first arrival in the Mansour era...

Yes, but Eriksson had some quality players there despite not getting performances out of them. Players like Ireland, Elano, Petrov, Richards etc. were much better than what we have right now. Even then, I'm pretty sure Robinho found himself constantly frustrated. Can you imagine Ronaldinho trying to play alongside players like Dunn, Emerton, Grella, Andrews, and Roberts? Most of our players can't even pass the ball properly!

Serious question from an outsider - do you really want him? He's looked a spent force for a couple of years now and I can't see the cold and damp English climate imrpoving him.

I can see the profile angle but as a footballer? Maybe I'm judging him harshly but is it not telling that not one other club from a major European league has shown much interest?

As they say – form is temporary, class is permanent….and at 30 he isn’t past it – last seasons stats prove that…..so not sure where the spent force comment comes in? Perhaps he isn’t the level he was but he is still far superior to anything we currently have.

We are talking about a WORLD CLASS player here, even if he isn’t as good as he was previously, he is still head & shoulders above anything we have….he may not be his sparkling best, but a player TWICE world player of the year & just 30 – suggests he has LOTS to offer us…especially when his country is host nation to the next world cup.

We lack creativity, abit of magic or someone who can create something out of nothing – Ronaldinho is all that + more.

Then you have the marketing side of it to consider to move our club forward. No brainer if the owners are happy to fund it!

As they say – form is temporary, class is permanent….and at 30 he isn't past it – last seasons stats prove that…..so not sure where the spent force comment comes in? Perhaps he isn't the level he was but he is still far superior to anything we currently have.

We are talking about a WORLD CLASS player here, even if he isn't as good as he was previously, he is still head & shoulders above anything we have….he may not be his sparkling best, but a player TWICE world player of the year & just 30 – suggests he has LOTS to offer us…especially when his country is host nation to the next world cup.

We lack creativity, abit of magic or someone who can create something out of nothing – Ronaldinho is all that + more.

Then you have the marketing side of it to consider to move our club forward. No brainer if the owners are happy to fund it!

Last few times I've seen him he's looked lost and frankly average. I'm not saying he doesn't still have the class but wonder whether he still has the hunger - and whether a place just outside Lancashire is likely to bring that hunger out in him?

Trying to be dispassionate about this, I just couldn't see it being a footballing success. Just a view and of course should he sign and decide to turn on the talent then of course he will bring a bit of footballing magic with him

Last few times I've seen him he's looked lost and frankly average. I'm not saying he doesn't still have the class but wonder whether he still has the hunger - and whether a place just outside Lancashire is likely to bring that hunger out in him?

Trying to be dispassionate about this, I just couldn't see it being a footballing success. Just a view and of course should he sign and decide to turn on the talent then of course he will bring a bit of footballing magic with him

Don't get me wrong longsiders, history would put the odds in your favour.

However, this signing is much bigger than the football pitch, and I think the repercussions for the new era and owners would be much more significant if they can pull it off. It would be huge.

When I first heard that we had put a bit in for Ronaldinho, I laughed and thought it was a wind up.

Not sure really, I still not 100% behind Venkys. Yes, it's great publicity for the club no doubt about it. Everybody in the footballing World knows who Ronaldinho is and Blackburn are getting known to the World's media.

Honestly I don't see Ronaldinho considering a move to Rovers. We're mid-table, unlikely to qualify for Europe this season and get average attendances at Ewood. Venkys are prepared to offer £20M over three years to him? That's obscene to be honest. It's not realistic for the club to be honest IMO, it's easy for them in their swanky home in India dictating who they want, it's a bit different trying to attract them here.

Blackburn hardly boasts quality areas and restaurants for star player names etc. Venkys need to be more realistic, they've obviously have got a lot more money than what they originally let on but this surely has to be a big publicity stunt. Can't help feel that if they're prepared to spend big money then there should be more realistic targets than Ronaldinho.

No doubting the guy is World Class but can't help thinking the money offering him might be better money spent elsewhere.

Trying to be dispassionate about this, I just couldn't see it being a footballing success.

I agree with you Longsiders. There are few proper managers out there in the English PL that would have pursued that particular avenue, at this stage in his career.

Anyway, it seems as though confirmation has come through that he's off to Brazil. I'm quite relaxed about that because we can now focus on players who want to come here for footballing reasons.

I agree with you Longsiders. There are few proper managers out there in the English PL that would have pursued that particular avenue, at this stage in his career.

Anyway, it seems as though confirmation has come through that he's off to Brazil. I'm quite relaxed about that because we can now focus on players who want to come here for footballing reasons.

I'm sure you meant to say monetary reasons. That would make a lot more sense

After all the excitement, I'd prefer that he signs for Gremio now to be honest.

He clearly wants to play in Brazil, that much is obvious. If the contract offer from Rovers has been around for ages and he still hasn't made up his mind to come here, he obviously doesn't fancy it much and the only thing that would sway him is the money. Steve Kean has said he wants to make sure Ronaldinho wants to come here to play football for Rovers which I think is entirely appropriate.

So, in short,

1) He'd only come here for the money

2) He'd have to play every week because he'd be a Venkys signing

3) He'd probably massively underperform when playing teams like wigan and fulham because of (1)

4) He'll unsettle the squad because of 1, 2, and 3

5) Steve Kean won't sign him because of 1,2,3, and 4!

Excitement over, publicity in the bag, now let's move onto realistic targets with great haste before we end up in a relegation battle.

I've been reading a lot of brazilian press in the last few days and even though Grêmio is the closest to sign him, there are still hopes for other clubs to sign him.

For Ronaldinho, going home, play football and still get paid like in Europe is a very good deal. However, I think his chances of going to 2014 WC are over. He will end up like Ronaldo and Adriano, over weight, good enough for Brazilian league only.

For all the brazilian teams trying to get him, it might turn out to be a bad deal. If he loses popularity, something it will happen if he is not a pro there, he will have less and less support from the fans and from publicity which are basicly paying his transfers.

Their deals depend a lot on non football issues. His popularity will drop and the return coming from his image will decline as well...

Archived