BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 3

Ok back to transfers... If we have signed RSC on loan paying 2 million and bought Jones on loan for at least 1 million then how much of our 5 million is left for funds? Wonder how they paid Sam 2.5 million in comp?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skysports.com understands that Blackburn have agreed a deal with Schalke for midfielder Jermaine Jones.

The 29-year-old American international, who has also played for Germany, looks to be on his way to Ewood Park. Blackburn are believed to have made an approach to his club Schalke earlier this week, and now the deal is all but done.

Another player who's agents are not Kentaro/SEM. I think its time to put that theory to bed, along with Maradona been named as manager.

The Premiership has been a two-horse race for as long as La Liga has...

It's only the fact that both United and Chelsea's squads are not as strong as they were (and City's cash) that the others have closed the gap.

So its not a two horse race then....

fair do's. still disagree that the prem has been a two horse race as l'pool and arsenal have very much been in the mix over recent years. bar 07/08 the same is not so true of la liga.

any road, jones...

yeah I'll agree with you on that.

this Premiership season is the most interesting it has been for a long time!

In regards to quality of players, look no further than Primera Liga, In regards to entertainment value, PL wins hands down.

Soon, surely he should made more additions since that interview this morning, why is he saying soon when he cant stick to his promises, given us all false hope. Sack him immediately

This is off-topic but what the hell:

As a Norwegian, the premier league is definitely the most entertaining league. But there are a few reasons for this.

1) Norwegians have close ties to Britain, and back in the 70's NRK, the equivalent of BBC, started to send English football matches. Ever since the league's popularity has exceeded our own top division.

2) English is a global language, and it is therefore easier to digest the whole "package" of English football. I.e. you get a more personal connection with the fans, club, game and players.

3) Most of our Norwegian footballers abroad has had good career spells in the top English divisions, which has made the media coverage of the premier league vastly bigger.

4) The premier league hosts a range of different football styles and the game generally has a high pace, with a physical element added. This especially might explain its popularity in general.

Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga are all top top divisions but the entertainment value is not as high due to the reasons above. I'm sure that if I moved down to Germany, learned the language and started attending games, my interest in the league would vastly increase.

Language and culture aside, watching the top sides in La liga is always entertaining. Especially Barcelona!

Anyway, my point is, entertainment value does not necessarily equal quality.

So its not a two horse race then....

my point was that is has been and who wouldn't bet on United winning it again this year.

if they do, it'll be another year when either United or Chelsea win the league.

hopefully it's a trend that looks like it could change in the coming years...

I would like to add to that, Sverre, that english supporters usually welcome us with open arms. Especially for smaller clubs like Blackburn, Milwall and so on.

Yes, definitely! The friendly environment at the pubs pre- and post-match adds to that.

Who's a reliable performer then? The bloke with one league season in eleven when he's scored more than 5 league goals, or the one with a shocking disciplinary record who missed all of last season through injury?

Yes, you're right, they are all cack.

I'll file that with your analysis that Robinson is a Championship level keeper and Nico is the next Matt Jansen

You have to wonder about some people :wacko:

For years now the club has been hammered for signing nobody, a couple of proven premiership players and a champion’s league player look like signing and the idiots moan we don't need them.

Yes we need a creative midfield player, but so does most of the premiership! And the window isn’t closing yet, so put down the razor blades FFS

As Kamara would say UNBELIVEABLE

Cheap shot. Same post could be used to criticise anyone who wasn't thrilled about any particular signing. I've given cogent reasons to back up my belief as did the other bloke.

You have to wonder about people who just like having a crack at others. :angry2:

The exception that proves the rule? Michael Ballack... ;)

I know I'm gonna be pretty alone here, but I didn't think Ballack done that bad at Chelsea to be honest, obviously never hit the heights of Bayern fame. Big wage but he was a free.

I also thought when he was on form he was one of the most gifted footballers in the Prem. Like I said I know I'm on my own here, so no need for any gunning.

• Backroom

I know I'm gonna be pretty alone here, but I didn't think Ballack done that bad at Chelsea to be honest, obviously never hit the heights of Bayern fame. Big wage but he was a free.

I also thought when he was on form he was one of the most gifted footballers in the Prem. Like I said I know I'm on my own here, so no need for any gunning.

He was class for Chelsea IMO

I would be inclined to agree, Ballack had lots of things to his game and could score goals too, would have loved him at Rovers, sometimes a player like Ballack, needs to be a big fish in a small pond to see the best of him!

Some people are never happy, I rate Seb, and so do my brummy mates, who are gutted.

Hi dave, I just need to make sure I'm reading this right. You say your brummy mates are gutted. I know a lot of people that support them and the large majority that I've spoken to don't rate the guy. They have good memories but most say he has been very average for them in the Premier League. He is alarmingly slow which is a major worry as this team now seems to be built to counter with pace. And if we get caught out while trying to break then he is likely to end up in no man's land.

On the plus side he is a good crosser of the ball but he lacks a lot of qualities for me that would make him a worthwhile signing. We've got Dioufy who has played very well for us this season and Junior Hoilett who has improved a lot over the last 18 months. I really can't see any need for this guy at all.

Surely if we want a right midfielder and we have money the guy we should be going after is N'Zogbia.

I think Chelsea letting him go and not replacing him is one of the reasons for the trouble they got in this season, especially after Lampard got injured.

If we are judging real life football with that of Football Manager (which is daft by the way), why was I never considered for the Blackburn job, having got them to finish 5th in my first season, and won the carling cup.

Ah I know why, Kentaro/SEM is not my agent.

Don't lie, you are more suited to the likes of Real Madrid or Inter and if you went there you would win everything every season

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's the most comprehensive scouting database available and it is highly respected, hence why Everton paid a lot of money to have access to it.

Its certainly a good tool but anybody can buy a copy and have access to it, perhaps Everton paid for more insight into the research methods used. As I pointed out earlier over the years there have been some top players who we have all found on FM before they became great and some equally poor. On a side note Im sure in an interview Tony Parkes right hand man when Tony was placed in temporary charge here said something along the lines of "Ive been playing Championship Manager(as it was then)" when asked about what he had done in preperation.

Based on the world cup and champions league I don't think the Bundesliga can be labelled as inferior.

Indeed, players certainly adapt better to the English game when coming from there. If hes half as good as the last couple of German based players we signed we will be in for another star.

This is off-topic but what the hell:

As a Norwegian, the premier league is definitely the most entertaining league. But there are a few reasons for this.

1) Norwegians have close ties to Britain, and back in the 70's NRK, the equivalent of BBC, started to send English football matches. Ever since the league's popularity has exceeded our own top division.

2) English is a global language, and it is therefore easier to digest the whole "package" of English football. I.e. you get a more personal connection with the fans, club, game and players.

3) Most of our Norwegian footballers abroad has had good career spells in the top English divisions, which has made the media coverage of the premier league vastly bigger.

4) The premier league hosts a range of different football styles and the game generally has a high pace, with a physical element added. This especially might explain its popularity in general.

Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga are all top top divisions but the entertainment value is not as high due to the reasons above. I'm sure that if I moved down to Germany, learned the language and started attending games, my interest in the league would vastly increase.

Language and culture aside, watching the top sides in La liga is always entertaining. Especially Barcelona!

Anyway, my point is, entertainment value does not necessarily equal quality.

We have the Norweigen equivelent of David Beckham playing here :).

Ive been up and down over the last few weeks when it comes to Rovers. When Sam got sacked I was confused and bewildered by the decision, when we got beat off Stoke I felt like I never wanted to watch Rovers again especially after the ridiculous decision for Kean to goto Pune. WBA was a relief Sunderland back to angry and from then with the talk of Ronnie etc even though I never truely expected to see him play in Blue and White Ive started to get the feeling whatever Venkys motives life may actually not be too bad for a Rovers fan. The way we beat Liverpool left me delighted and todays signings have left me very very positive for a change. Roll on tomorrow for the inevitable kick in the balls though.

The level pessimism on this board is like nothing I've ever seen anywhere else

Chin up guys - we are bringing people in - its progress over the old regime

Glass half full and all that…

Most people are optimistic I think, certainly prepared to wait and see what the rest of January brings. None of the signings compensate for losing Samba so I hope we don't. But everyone is saying wait till Feb 1 and then we can judge the success overall.

The comparison with previous windows is a waste of time. Most agree we were going nowhere but down under the Walkers. The problem with Venkys is that they have raised expectations too much.

Loans and freebies don't match the hype. Still, we are making progress.

Archived