BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Return - Done Deal

Glenn

Defoe has done well but I would argue about the others.

Next.

Well why dont you argue it then? Would love to hear you explain how Keown did better at Arsenal first time round. Or maybe yourr just blithely sticking next at the end of your posts because your views are no so far detached from reality a 5 year could pick them apart?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think given the other strikers we have been linked with, this is probably the safest option. I would rather we take RSC on loan, than spen 7million on Demba Ba, or on Robbie Keane. I think that must be the thinking behind this loan move, that there isnt much available at the moment, RSC can come on loan, if it works out, maybe sign him, if not, bring someone in full time in the summer, when there will be more on offer.

Underwhelmed by this.

Rsc wasn't exactly helpful in our hour of need when Sam first arrived and his attitude then could have cost us our PL status - now we are supposed to welcome him back in his hour of need.

I sincerely hope that we are paying him a weekly rate no more than his last contract with us and that it's game related otherwise it's a total farce.

From the fans perspective the owners need to spend money to prove they are serious and I understand that. But there really isn't much around at the moment. We do still have a limited budget and we can definitely get more bang for our buck in the summer.

It's difficult

Underwhelmed by this.

Rsc wasn't exactly helpful in our hour of need when Sam first arrived and his attitude then could have cost us our PL status - now we are supposed to welcome him back in his hour of need.

I sincerely hope that we are paying him a weekly rate no more than his last contract with us and that it's game related otherwise it's a total farce.

Not like you to be underwhelmed. I think we all accept its not the ideal signing, but probably the best of what is available at the moment, the fact its on loan takes a lot of the risk out of it.

Well why dont you argue it then? Would love to hear you explain how Keown did better at Arsenal first time round. Or maybe yourr just blithely sticking next at the end of your posts because your views are no so far detached from reality a 5 year could pick them apart?

Footballers returning to their clubs gamble with their legacy and for every Colin Hendry or Peter Beardsley there's a dozen Robbie Fowlers. Football is littered with failed comebacks and I've spent 50 years watching them. I hope I'm wrong but Roque Santa Cruz is likely to be another.

The information is on the internet. Even a 5-year-old could find it.

I think given the other strikers we have been linked with, this is probably the safest option. I would rather we take RSC on loan, than spen 7million on Demba Ba, or on Robbie Keane. I think that must be the thinking behind this loan move, that there isnt much available at the moment, RSC can come on loan, if it works out, maybe sign him, if not, bring someone in full time in the summer, when there will be more on offer.

Besides which, we don't need him to bang in loads of goals, although it would be great if he did. We need him to take chances that he gets and occupy defenders when he doesn't get chances so that others can score. At the moment we don't really have a striker who consistently worries defences. Santa Cruz did, and could again. I don't know whether I'm pleased about this or not but it is really a stop gap. The manager knows we need a striker - as was said a while back, Sunderland aren't generaly better than us in many areas but they sure have strikers who can score. To buy a quality striker outright at this stage would take most of any budget we have and then some - just an example, Gameiro at Lorient is being priced at 12 million euros by his club. Granted he's young but he's good rather than brilliant. Santa Cruz is costing wages and any admin type fees to whoever we have to pay. If he can stay fit and get a few goals we will finish higher and earn more place money. Pays for himself and if we're not happy we can get rid. The huge problem is fitness.

Not like you to be underwhelmed. I think we all accept its not the ideal signing, but probably the best of what is available at the moment, the fact its on loan takes a lot of the risk out of it.

Can't accept that argument with two weeks of the window to go.

Santa was always in the team primarily as a goalscorer. He helped set up one or two goals but he didn't have the all round game that, say, Bellamy did.

If we want a target man who can't put the ball in the net we might aswell stick with Roberts.

And that might just work as well. Kean seems to want to play with two up top, so either Niko or JayRob could be the foil or provider for Roque to finish it off.

So the manager (Mark Hughes) that all on here hail as a demi-god signed a player twice for a total of >£20m and that player is not good enough to be here on loan? for nowt but some %age of his wages?

Strewth, I need to re-calibrate my good deal/bad deal barometer!

im glad people like you are in the minority!

welcome back RSC.

By all accounts, he had his heart set on a return to Rovers, and that's good enough for me.

He had his heart set on staying with Man City (one of the reasons he came to us is game time, the other his family didnt want to leave the area, I wouldnt call that having his heart set on a return

Glad I can wear my Santa Cruz shirt again :) Welcome back Roque!

yeah I had his name on one of my fav shirts but havent worn since he left, but I can wear it again now

If you are not joking then you really need help!

if you read my follow up post, you would understand that post

Glad I can wear my Santa Cruz shirt again :) Welcome back Roque!

Can dust off the black and red halved away shirt with Santa Cruz on the back, 2 years with no use. Only signing in recent times that made me want to get a shirt with a name on as soon as they signed.

Footballers returning to their clubs gamble with their legacy and for every Colin Hendry or Peter Beardsley there's a dozen Robbie Fowlers. Football is littered with failed comebacks and I've spent 50 years watching them. I hope I'm wrong but Roque Santa Cruz is likely to be another.

The information is on the internet. Even a 5-year-old could find it.

Sorry Jim but you seem to be replying to another post, easy to get side tracked but do try and concentrate. You were going to back up your claim that Keown was better at Arsenal the first time round, so.....

Good signing, would pair nicely with Niko. The guy can score goals as he proved in his first season we just have to focus on keeping him fit. As for his record wasn't that great the second season, he was injured a lot (probably down to a change in training regimes to a less proffessional set up under Ince) and also Sam's Style doesn't really lend itself to strikers but when he got the ball at his feet he could still doe the business (see the goal at OT posted earlier). Good luck to him and I hope there is an option to make this permenant subject to performance and injuries.

You do realise we're not getting in a 23 year old don't you?

We're getting in a 29 year old with a track record of failure at the top level of English and German football for 10 seasons, with one season which was an exception.

Did you see Michael Ricketts' season for Bolton when he

scored 20 goals and got called up to the England squad?

I cannot believe that you are comparing RSC to Michael Rickets! Roque oozes class even when the goals aren't flying in. As I said earlier if he stays fit we have a top top player on our hands.

The same Bellamy who has been charged on suspicion of assault today?? Just what we need, more bad PR surrounding the club.

Andy Carrol is bailed and under curfew living with the club captain and due in court for Allegedly assaulting a woman doesn't stop bigger clubs looking at him, I couldn't give a monkeys what Beller's is alleged to have done I'd care only if convicted of something and certainly wouldn't stop me wanting to loan him if it were ever possible.

Archived