BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mauro Formica Signs

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will we still be there? They went bust!

It was Leigh Genesis that went bust. They paid to use the ground at Leigh Sports Village - where the Reserves play - but left about 18 months ago. I think Leigh Sports Village is owned by the council an is mainly used as the home of Leigh Rugby League club. Unfortunately, I suspect that we will still be playing our Reserve games there next season. I say unfortunately, because of the distance and the fact that so few Rovers fans actually go to matches at Leigh. There are usually more away fans or locals from Leigh at our home games.

It was Leigh Genesis that went bust. They paid to use the ground at Leigh Sports Village - where the Reserves play - but left about 18 months ago. I think Leigh Sports Village is owned by the council an is mainly used as the home of Leigh Rugby League club. Unfortunately, I suspect that we will still be playing our Reserve games there next season. I say unfortunately, because of the distance and the fact that so few Rovers fans actually go to matches at Leigh. There are usually more away fans or locals from Leigh at our home games.

It seems so awkward to get to. I know Christie Park was a pain but it was fairly straightforward from t'Brook and I even enjoyed being freezing cold there in the dead of winter for some strange reason.

John and I are not so keen on night driving either these days, can manage Ewood easily enough but never been keen on the Leigh area anyway for driving.

It's a nice ground though.

It seems so awkward to get to. I know Christie Park was a pain but it was fairly straightforward from t'Brook and I even enjoyed being freezing cold there in the dead of winter for some strange reason.

John and I are not so keen on night driving either these days, can manage Ewood easily enough but never been keen on the Leigh area anyway for driving.

It's a nice ground though.

Totally agree mum, Christie Park was a far better venue - more Rovers fans in that part of the world as well. Quite a number of reserve regulars stopped going once we moved to Leigh and haven't gone back to it. The facilities at Leigh are decent, although the food isn't a patch on Morecambe!

I think it's just a pity that we can't play somewhere closer to Blackburn. Leyland would be ideal but it appears Bolton have a monopoly on the use of that ground.

Apparently there are rumours that Reserve football is going to be restructured again this summer. Last season a number of clubs played at their training grounds in the afternoon, more often than not behind closed doors, and I fear that this trend might increase. When the Semi-final of the Lancashire Senior Cup can be played behind closed doors you begin to realise that club's don't really care if fans are watching their second strings or not.

Indeed, which is a great shame and I for one do enjoy watching the Reserves and the Academy when we can manage it. It's a shame for the lads as well I think, a bit of fan support can surely only be encouraging for them. Even the ladies play some distance away. There must be an answer to this somewhere...

Always been annoyed about Bolton playing at Leyland!

• 1 month later...

I agree, he didn't seem that out of place upfront, well, just behind Roberts.

I think he looked good (albeit a friendly game) possibly the right decision not to play him straight away in the PL if he had been thrown in and been kicked off the ball at every opportunity it could have finished him as a potential good quality player. However buying a player like him when we needed someone to make an impact was possibly a poor call and a massive gamble hoping we would be a PL side this season. Really hope he is a hit though he certainly has the technical ability to be, lets hope he can cope with the physical aspects of the PL.

Interesting that he looks decent up front, for Newell's Old Boys he was a midfielder. Not that I'm complaining because if there's one thing we will desperately need this coming season, it's goals.

I thought even though he was largely anonymous today, he still popped up with a well-taken goal and seems to retain possession well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does this year.

I thought his best game was against Aston Villa, which is probably good news considering that's the standard we're playing against next season, but today he showed that he has the eye to spot a pass and also the determination to get the goal.

I think we can all agree that this tournament has allowed Formica to shine and give us hope that if we get a proven goalscorer then we can still have a decent season.

I think it also justifies Kean's decision not to rush him into the first team.

To think some people were saying that this guy could not trap a ball!

Great touch, vision and ability to pick a pass. Still needs to be stronger with the ball to cope with the PL but has all the key ingredients.

When I was at Ewood park in March I bought the away kit and put Formica // no. 10 on the back of it. Even though he had barely played reserve games, I was very sure that Formica would be a future success. I still believe that! He is our number 10 after all!

Even got a picture with him holding the newly bought kit!

He'll be a success with Rochina, Hoilett and Olsson I'm sure ;)

Yes very exciting. Now we have Formica, Hoilett, Rochina, Olsson, N'Zonzi and almost certainly Petrovic.

You can watch Formica for a few minutes and you can tell how technically gifted he is, even if it is one or two passes.

Before his goal though, he was largely anonymous, which was a slight worry, but once our players found him more, he then came to life.

I think if we play Formica in the 'number 10' role, just off the striker, used mainly as an attacking playmaker, then I think it's important that we give him the ball as much as possible.

I'm guessing this is why we are after the Serb to play in the middle with N'Zonzi. Two defensive minded midfielders who will do the dirty work to allow players like Formica, Hoilett etc to express themselves going forward.

I think it also justifies Kean's decision not to rush him into the first team.

To think some people were saying that this guy could not trap a ball!

Great touch, vision and ability to pick a pass. Still needs to be stronger with the ball to cope with the PL but has all the key ingredients.

I think anyone can see the guy has talent. It's whether he can handle the pace of the PL. Hopefully, the likes of him & Rochina can push on next season, cos they have the potential to be key players.

Archived