BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mauro Formica Signs

Players get signed because they are playing well. So you sign them move them have way around the world, turn their lives completely upside down and then you take away the final relatable part of their previous life, playing. 5 minutes, a couple, christ just being sat on the bench with hope, something familiar to the poor lad who is probably not in the best of spirits at present. Chicken Oriental.

One thing I'd love to know is did Carlos ever talk about his time at Rovers publicly? was his life train - hotel - sleep - train - hotel and so on? Or did the club do something to make his transition smoother?

I remember Carlos actually said he would prefer staying at Blackburn, but since Rovers couldn't pay the required fee(from his previous club), he was "forced" out to join the club that met the transfer demand.

I always thought Carlos was a good player. 2 goals and 4 assists in 15 matches(most of them as a substitute I reckon) is a good statistic in my opinion, especially considering that it was his first season in the premiership.

With that being said, I still believe that Formica will prove decent value.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF I just wasted £25.00 on a shirt with Formica on the back, he'd best be bloody good enough.

And seriously he can't be any worse than Julie.

On what I saw the other night at Leigh, I think I'd be looking for a refund for that shirt. By the time he's physically fit enough to mix it with the big boys in the Premier League, the kit will have changed again! On a serious note I was hugely disappointed in how lacking he was in terms of physique. He is only slightly built and I would think he would struggle as an out and out striker. Everton's young defenders had no problems with him. Admittedly, he's hardly played since the beginning of December and so it's unfair to judge him this season. Hopefully, Kean will simply play him in the Reserves this season until he builds up his strength and adjusts to the speed of English football. Not being able to speak a word of the language can't help the lad.

On what I saw the other night at Leigh, I think I'd be looking for a refund for that shirt. By the time he's physically fit enough to mix it with the big boys in the Premier League, the kit will have changed again! On a serious note I was hugely disappointed in how lacking he was in terms of physique. He is only slightly built and I would think he would struggle as an out and out striker. Everton's young defenders had no problems with him. Admittedly, he's hardly played since the beginning of December and so it's unfair to judge him this season. Hopefully, Kean will simply play him in the Reserves this season until he builds up his strength and adjusts to the speed of English football. Not being able to speak a word of the language can't help the lad.

I kinda hope Salgado has taken an active role in his settling in period.

The other part is how did this poor frail young lad cope with playing adult football in argentina, which is hardly a soft league? There just can't be that much of a difference between the strength, fitness levels etc of argentinian football and english. For me the biggest issue is always "state of mind" which is not easy to manage. We'll see whether he works out or not but IMO if he can cut it over there and then gets marked out of the game by that Everton backline then it's most his mental state that's the issue.

I think the fact is we wont know how good he's likely to be until we see him play. I can accept that we wont see the best of him this season, but we are allowed 7 subs surely a 10 minute run out at the end of a game would help him (& rovers assess him).

When he arrived it was pre-season in Argentina, and whilst I agree that the EPL is biger, stronger, quicker than the Argentina leagues, he's 23 years old. There's plenty of slightly built ball playing midfielders around - look at Arsenal, modric, pienaar.

The one thing I do think is sitting him in the reserves, will do nothing for his confidence or ability to adapt to british football. Personally, I think relegating Kalinic to the reserves after his debut had a (lasting) adverse affect on his game.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that Formica is not included in the Reserve squad at Chelsea today. According to the Rovers' website he was in the squad for Arseanl so one would assume he is at least fit. However, he didn't play for the Reserves last week and is not included again today. How is the guy going to get match fit if he never plays? Although I have only seen him once - his only public outing - I'm beginning to have serious reservations about this deal. If he is injured it seems strange that nothing has been said. If he isn't injured, I can't understand why he is not playing in Reserve matches to get him up to speed.

I notice that Formica is not included in the Reserve squad at Chelsea today. According to the Rovers' website he was in the squad for Arseanl so one would assume he is at least fit. However, he didn't play for the Reserves last week and is not included again today. How is the guy going to get match fit if he never plays? Although I have only seen him once - his only public outing - I'm beginning to have serious reservations about this deal. If he is injured it seems strange that nothing has been said. If he isn't injured, I can't understand why he is not playing in Reserve matches to get him up to speed.

Agree, very strange!

Those with suspicious minds might think that the Rovers are trying to keep the lid on something, for example, perhaps he's nowhere near as good as some thought, so there are no distractions in our relegation fight.

I think rovers have serious issues in knowing how to handle younger foreign players. I've met several ex-players who all said that rovers could have done more and when they moved on to pastures new they have since done well considering the time they lost at rovers. Carlos, Formica, Kalinic all seem to have come here and failed to settle, why?

Rovers must, must start looking more at the back-room team, we have awful support for our players (numbers wise and in the skill set they possess) at present as we don't even have a full-time psych guy at the club watching them and their body language, social habits and so on. Not every player is so mentally strong that they can deal with all that's going on and if you don't help them through it they will struggle on their own.

Rovers approach seems very much to me to be sink or swim.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet, but he is basically going through his pre-season. He was trying to get up to match fitness and used to the speed and then suffered an injury. Unlikely that we will see him this year.

aah, cheers for the update. is he still injured?

I know this is wholly unfair as he hasn't played a minute of first team footballl. But by god i hope this boy happens to make strides soon. Please god we need a saviour. Let young Mauro be a buck tooth resurrection of Christ himself. Sent down from heaven to save the righteous from despair in the wolves den.

Told from a good source that we cocked the paperwork up and he can't play for the first team till the transfer window re-opens.

Says it all and adds further weight to what Mercerman was implying yesterday.

• Backroom

Says it all and adds further weight to what Mercerman was implying yesterday.

To be fair Mercerman implies everything and nothing then makes out it was what he was talking about.

Told from a good source that we cocked the paperwork up and he can't play for the first team till the transfer window re-opens.

I would think this could be true but when Rovers were away at Arsenal I saw him in a tracksuit with Kalinic in the dugout on ESPN. Now Niko wasn't picked by clown Kean so why would Formica be there as a standby if he was unable to play? He would have been suited up or another youngster would have been there just in case. I just have a feeling he is in contention for selection but isn't quite there yet...

I dunno how true this can be because he is named in our 1st team squad - the thing that we now have to submit at the end of both windows. Also if he wasn't registered properly, he wouldn't be allowed to play in reserve games either without everyone being let in for free.

I dunno how true this can be because he is named in our 1st team squad - the thing that we now have to submit at the end of both windows. Also if he wasn't registered properly, he wouldn't be allowed to play in reserve games either without everyone being let in for free.

I was thinking that.

Still, it's yet another another unsubstantiated load of old bollux with which to try and sling mud at the owners so that's ok.

I would have thought there's enough legitimate stuff to complain about with current performances and results without people continuing to make stuff up all the time.

Archived