BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham v Rovers

Stuart

102785.gif6.png

Match Context

As I write this, Rovers have just lost, no, been humbled, again, by Aston Villa.

EDIT: actually, as I edit this, Arsenal have just lost another chance at silverware, thanks to a footballing moment to make Sunday League players at Pleasy get the p*ss ripped out of them for a fortnight. And left Whinger, curled up and crying inside the modified sleeping bag that he wears as a coat.

Meanwhile, back at Villa Park:

We played badly, conceded a penalty which “killed us”; suffered an own goal; one of the leaders on the pitch, Ryan Nelsen, following possibly the worst week of his life, saw red and will miss the Fulham game; and Karl Pilkingt..., sorry, Steve Kean is looking as out of his depth and as promoted above his station as Keith Andrews.

Let’s not mince words here though: we are facing a relegation battle.

We do, however, have a chance and it’s a chance that we have to take. I don’t think it’ll be easy by any stretch and it could be we are now hoping for 17th place but the chance, as I see it, albeit fairly pessimistic, is this:

Fulham Away = 1 pt

Blackpool Home = 3 pts

Birmingham Home = 1 pt

Bolton Home = 1 pt

West Ham Away = 1 pt

Wolves Away = 1 pt

This may well be pinned up in the office Steve Kean’s broom cupboard – and would probably have been pinned up in Jerome Anderson’s office (allegedly) when Allardyce used to work there (except it would probably have had 3 points each for Birmingham and Bolton).

Sam may well have taken us to upwards of 44 points, possibly already. As it is Kean will be hoping for a minimum of 40.

Rovers / Steve Kean

Starting with that point at Fulham – if Kean is to get it, he might want to do a few things:

1. Although a point will be enough, don’t start the game aiming for a 0-0. Kean is not Allardyce, he can’t do it. And I don’t want the team killed again.

2. Get Gael Givet fit – pronto – and back in to that left back slot enabling him to…

3. Stick Olsson back on the left wing where he can do some damage which will allow him to…

4. …improve our presence (surely) and quality (not difficult) in midfield whilst at the same time…

5. …replace Keith Andrews with one of the new South American lads – or the tea lady.

(Ok, the last one was a dig but I don’t care!)

Assuming the new lads still aren’t ready, and Junior and Santa Cruz are fit, my formation for this game would be:

Rovers-Fulham-Potential.jpg

Fulham / Mark Hughes

As things stand, we are facing a Fulham side who are 13th in the league, one place above Rovers, and level on points following their creditable draw with Man City. (The Hughes’ Curse? – see below)

Oh, and it’s a relative grudge match because of a certain man who would have loved, nay, would probably still be here if he’d been given a further £5 million to spend, an amount which subsequently had to be made available for Allardyce (yes, he did get some cash) and then Kean (albeit not from the same source – at least as far as we know). But I digress.

Mark Hughes has faced Blackburn 5 times since leaving Rovers and oddly enough is unbeaten against us; although I vividly recall the fate-tempting refrains of "You're Getting Sacked In The Morning", in his first return to Ewood Park – only minutes before Robinho's 94th minute heartbreaking equaliser at Ewood.

The record books show this much:

Hughes has sent out five sides against Rovers since leaving for Man City in June 2008. The first four being City:

- 28 Dec 2008 H (2-2) – Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts scoring Rovers goals before Matt Derbyshire inexplic… well it’s all water under the bridge now

- 2 May 2009 A (1-3) – A rare Andrews goal as Rovers’ consolation

- 15 Aug 2009 H (0-2) – Adebayor, with Rovers fans still finding their seats, and Stephen Ireland, with Rovers fans still leaving the ground, in injury-time flattering Hughes men

- 11 Jan 2010 A (1-4) – Pedersen scoring in a match that was to prove a turning point for Rovers and Big Sam.

Over the same period that we have been struggling against Sparky, we have actually had some success against Fulham, winning 3 out of 4 games – although our most recent trip to Craven Cottage did end in a 3-0 defeat.

- 20 Sep 2008 H (1-0) – Matt Derbyshire doing the business with a certain Clint Dempsey an unused sub

- 11 Mar 2009 A (2-1) – Diouf and Roberts for Rovers, Dempsey for Fulham

- 25 Nov 2009 A (0-3) – Dempsey scoring a brace with Rovers unable to find the net

- 17 Jan 2010 H (2-0) – Samba and Nelsen not only scored but also kept Dempsey quiet and he was subbed after an hour (not before he hit the bar with an overhead kick).

In July 2010 Hughes joined Fulham, and Hughes promptly got a draw in his first game at what used to be known as “Fortress Ewood”. No chanting for his head this time, and ironically no counting of chickens either from the Rovers fans.

- 18 Sep 2010 H (1-1) – Samba for Rovers with Clint Dempsey striking again, making it 4 goals in his last 4 games against us

Perhaps there is a Hughes’ Curse after all?

Current League Form

Rovers last 6: LWLLDL (scored 6, conceded 14 – 4 in two separate games, 2 clean sheets)

Fulham last 6: WLWDDD (scored 6, conceded 4 with 3 clean sheets)

Hughes has brought into Fulham what he brought into Ewood Park, building from the back, defending from the front, etc, sickening when you think about it (or research it for a preview) – although Fortress doesn’t really sound right. Castle Craven? Castle Cottage? Cottaging Cavern…?

Anyway, Rovers go into this game having won only once in the last 6 (against West Brom – the Liverpool game now seems an awfully long time ago). We also managed a draw at home to a poor Newcastle, unable to find the net. Only away win under Kean was West Brom and that was six games ago. We’ve since followed that with 4 consecutive away defeats. Sam’s away record wasn’t that great, in fairness, but Kean has it all to do to motivate us against Fulham next Saturday.

Fulham Home – DLWWWD (scored 7, conceded 3 – 5 clean sheets!)

Rovers Away – LWLLLL (scored 8, conceded 16 – no clean sheets!)

If there’s one silver lining, it’s that Rovers haven’t kept a clean sheet in our last 6 away games, conceding 16 goals; whilst Fulham have 5 cleans sheets in their last 6 home fixtures, scoring 7 times. You just know what’s going to happen, don’t you? ;)

Yep, Fulham 2 – Rovers 0.

Er, I mean, Fulham 1 – Rovers 2. Come on you Blues! :brfcsmilie:

Finally, if there’s any possible chance that Mark Hughes would return to Rovers then the Venky’s should be climbing over each other for the big cheque book to throw at him. In fact, make it one of those lottery winner style cheques and get yourselves in the photo! And give him the Ronaldinho budget – it’ll last him about 5 years!

Quiz

Finally, finally, in a bid to provide a distraction from my current mood and everyone else’s, I’ve compiled a short quiz for our bemusement.

1) Former Rovers manager Mark Hughes went on to manage Man City and Fulham but

Which former Rovers player also played for Manchester City and Fulham?

2) In the 2000/2001 Division 1 Season, Fulham did the double over Rovers winning both matches

2-1. Which two players scored in both fixtures.

3) What was significant about the 2001/2002 season for Craven Cottage?

4) Fulham and Rovers were both automatically promoted back to the PL in 2001. Fulham finished

as champions but how many points did Rovers finish behind them?

5) Fulham (2009) and Rovers (2007) both played and won in Europe against which Lithuanian side?

Tie-breaker: Caption this (without mentioning the phrase “Big Issue”)

coaching-week-launch-bench-away.jpg

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually go to this fixture as have family close by. However, will be giving a miss unless we have a change of manager before the match. If we don't, see no prospect of us coming back with anything other than another sound beating. Hughes had a lot of respect for JW & Sam, so I expect he'll have Fulham wound-up like a coil spring!

• Backroom

Big game for us, bigger game for Kean. Lose this and I think he may be given the axe, win and he'll probably be safe til the end of t'season at least.

In past do-or-die games the team have gone out there and done the business for Allardyce. When push came to shove they delivered for him, but I don't think they have the same respect for Kean.

Ince's do-or-die game against Wigan resulted in one of the worst Rovers performances in recent memory, because the team did not want to play for him and did not want to save his job. Unfortunately, I fear the same for Kean.

3-0 Fulham, and Kean to face the wrath of the owners that backed him so heavily.

There is only one way to play this game and it has to be 4-4-2, for the first 20 minutes, I dont care if we dont string three passes together, as long as Fulham dont, we press them high up the park when they have the ball, we tackle with vigour and we win every second ball, when we have the ball, we pass, forwards and diagonally, early balls and crosses into the Fulham box and get one or two goals in front. We must be brave and play with lots of width but we must remain focused and retain our shape, make sure there is always a spare man when defending, moreso, I have noticed our back line being caught sqaure recently, one of the centre backs must drop off at an angle to take any ball which comes through and we must have the belief.

Belief is the biggest issue here as looking at thye body language of the players, they seem to have lost belief, can it be because the system is changing so often, go 4-4-2 and stick with it (4-4-1-1) would work as well, just one of the front men playing deeper, Formica?

There is only one way to play this game and it has to be 4-4-2, for the first 20 minutes, I dont care if we dont string three passes together, as long as Fulham dont, we press them high up the park when they have the ball, we tackle with vigour and we win every second ball, when we have the ball, we pass, forwards and diagonally, early balls and crosses into the Fulham box and get one or two goals in front. We must be brave and play with lots of width but we must remain focused and retain our shape, make sure there is always a spare man when defending, moreso, I have noticed our back line being caught sqaure recently, one of the centre backs must drop off at an angle to take any ball which comes through and we must have the belief.

Belief is the biggest issue here as looking at thye body language of the players, they seem to have lost belief, can it be because the system is changing so often, go 4-4-2 and stick with it (4-4-1-1) would work as well, just one of the front men playing deeper, Formica?

Agree - we need to be positive but that would be a huge ask for Formica (and it aint his fault!!!).

Assuming Hoilett & RSC unfit, I'd go 3/5/2 in order to match them in midfield and get Olsson into a more advanced role where his pace could be utilised.

Robbo / Hanley (no other option), Samba, Givet / Emerton, Nzonzi, Dunn (for some creativity), Jones, Olsson / Kalinic (gets goals), Diouf (has pace and the knack of being in right place)

• Backroom

Nice preview.

Biggest game of the season so far for us, and every game after will take that mantle. Less than 3 points in the next two games is unthinakble and disasterous.

4-3 Rovers - Stead, Cole, Amo and Douglas for us

0 - 2 at least.

Hughes wil have his team eat that shower that forever stained the blue and white on Saturday for breakfast.

Prove me wrong Kean. Motivation does not seem your bag baby, so bribe them with a trip to St. Martin this time, obviously that local did not agree with them.

Perhaps a cruise.

Cant see anything out of this game for us.

Under the previous regime, once in a while we'd be pleasantly surprised in our away games when we didnt expect it. This time around I find it difficult to even envisage a point.

I am hoping we get at least a draw. Samba should be back as well as Junior. Though I presume Nelsen will be serving a ban. I do not see why Kean should not give the new signings ago - but after Saturday, he may not be bold enough to do it. Rovers are not able to keep things tight, therefore they have to attack as much as possible

My wife and I are going to this game, as more like a home game for us, (though still 65 miles away). One venue we always enjoy going too, via the 8 bells of course.

If I was Kean, Id have nothing to lose and Id play Formica. Only an idiot would think we have a chance after the recent run of performances. Something has to change, so play Formica. He's a professional footballer. Had he joined Gala or Monaco he wouldve played matches by now, so there is no point in wrapping him in cotton wool when we are desperate for some creativity.

Great preview, Jisty.

Craven Cottage is a place I quite like visiting and I've some good memories of games there, including Simon Garner's first two goals there one Friday night in the late 1970s. [Aaaghh; is it really that long ago? :o ]

I like the team you'd put out, Jisty; just wonder, though, whether we oughtn't to play Brett in there to protect Salgado against pace? I'd certainly have Formica on the bench [insert your own joke here].

So, in my usual spirit of "glass-half-full", I'd like to predict a shock away win; but, with my sensible head on, I fear we'll be lucky to get a draw against what seems these days to be a typical "Sparky" team. 1-1 for me.

Another tough away fixture. A big game for Fulham also who historically have always been pretty good at home. Great result yesterday away at City for them, following our capitulation away at Villa.

The odds looked stacked against us. The form book suggests another defeat. Time for the players to stand up and be counted and to earn their salaries, irrespective of who is selected and who is in charge.

2-1 Fulham.

After the poor game against Villa we should start with this team at Fulham capable of getting a result:

Robinson

Emerton, Samba, Givet, Olsson

MB Diouf, Nzonzi, Jones, Hoilett

Formica behind

Kalinic

I think in this game we'll need the wing pace of Hoilett and Diouf, then two tacklers in the middle and an creative force in Formica. Then Kalinic can be upfront ready for the balls in from the wings. I expect Rochina to make his debut too in second half when Kalinic runned riot.

Bench: Bunn, Dunn, Santa Cruz, Rochina, Benjani, Hanley, Pedersen.

Drop: Salgado, Grella, Andrews, they were poor last game. If Nelsen wasn't banned I would had played Olsson instead of Diouf. of course Pedersen was shocking and Roberts did nothing when came on.

Archived