BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers' dealings with influential agent Jerome Anderson comes under scrutiny

In heated debates, people take up entrenched positions, especially on messageboards. Once involved, it can be very difficult to not get sucked in deeper and deeper. I've given the board a wide berth in recent weeks and only popped back on to see what the craic is. I've now been here an hour.

This board became polarised the day Sam was sacked and a perceived change in one posters general demeanor needs to be considered in light of that, an enormous increase in uncertainty and the fractiousness of the debate. Not to mention the team's current form. You already are speculating because you are suggesting there is something tangible to it.

My shortcut to this forum has long since been a direct link to his profile so I can see his latest posts (poor form I know but the next page I visit is that of once of his most visible detractors). He's always had a fairly combative style when challenged. It's not like he didn't cop any stick back in the days of Dan Williams. Of late, we have drastically remote neighbours who are shockingly useless at communication and have made a lot of decisions that have upset a lot of people. For many here however, the most tangible manifestation of all that is Nicko himself. For better or worse, he's a higher opinion of the manager than the vast majority of us and had the temerity to say as much.

Consequently he's been badgered for his take on things a lot more, from posters in increasingly heightened emotional states given our collective concern. Has his style changed much? Perhaps, not much if you ask me but if it has, it's hardly surprising. If I'd worked hard to build up a good reputation in an online community that I attach some value to (and he must given he takes the time to post here) then being accused of being a Venky's lapdog would get my back up as well. I don't find him spending 15-20 posts in this thread attempting to clarify his position surprising at all.

Good response da. You're right, I do think there is something tangible to it, but it's purely speculative and I don't want to feed the hysteria by taking it further than that comment. That's an opinion of course, no claim to any solid proof either way. I find the pattern of posting behaviour suspicious is all, when taking the long view of having followed his posts closely over the past three years or so.

His style has always been combative, as you say, but in the past he often appeared aloof and distant, even when mixing his personal views with his facts. He seemed to have an affinity for us Rovers fans, and was happy to divulge a bit of info to us and perhaps pick up a tidbit here and there from some informed posters. Quid pro quo.

Lately however the style appears to have changed, again, just an opinion. He seems frequently more dismissive, more emotive and more arrogant in his responses to people's claims (which to be fair can become hysterical at times). In the past he might have ignored certain jibes, but now he dishes it back with the best of them. Is there a problem in that? Of course not, this is a message board and people are welcome to their opinions. However the fact that it's Nicko is enough to make me (and apparently a few others) question as to why. You're right, nothing strange about posting 15-20 replies in and of itself, however the intent seemed to be related to pouring cold water on the Anderson family story. His other contributions of late were to inform of the Agnew story, which he was in favour of. Before that he hasn't posted in weeks. Like you, I check his profile and have done for a long time. Prior to that he was quick to post after a Kean win telling people exactly where to go. Petty and childish? Perhaps. Hard to argue that that impartial Nicko of old would have done the same though.

Just my musings on the subject.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder it cost the trust £30m to support our last relegation and that was 10 years ago. With football inflation at let's say 10% it could cost the Rao family £70-80m to put the club back in the PL. Even at 5% it would be in the region of £50m.

Just a reminder it cost the trust £30m to support our last relegation and that was 10 years ago. With football inflation at let's say 10% it could cost the Rao family £70-80m to put the club back in the PL. Even at 5% it would be in the region of £50m.

That's scary. I don't think they would be prepared to fund us to anywhere near that amount even if they could.

Lately however the style appears to have changed, again, just an opinion. He seems frequently more dismissive, more emotive and more arrogant in his responses to people's claims (which to be fair can become hysterical at times). In the past he might have ignored certain jibes, but now he dishes it back with the best of them.

But it would be fair to say he's probably getting a lot more stick of late too, especially after some of his remarks about Kean. He'll never live down that one(?) remark about Kean from a presser. He certainly comes across more frustrated with some points of view. Again, in these less than quiet, more fractious times I don't find it surprising nor suspicious. You could probably make a similar comment of me! or several other posters. Nature of the beast I think.

If PR fluff pieces started appearing in the Mirror/People, *then* I might start raising an eyebrow but best I can tell I've seen nothing like it. Having moderated a couple of games forums, I've seen my fair bit of shilling from PR companies/departments at the behest of publishers and media manipulation is frequent enough if not rife. Venky's PR has been abysmal, it would be flattering in the extreme to suggest they've even considered it.

I think you might be right though in saying he may be better off in winding it in a bit and becoming less embroiled. Easier said than done mind.

By the way, why is there a deafening silence about the line that Rovers were using Jerome Anderson to find a buyer?

Rather sickening in my opinion,leaves a VERY bad taste in the mouth.All is now clear as day as to why Anderson was seen showing Mrs Desai around Ewood like he owned the place.Once again,highlights how desperate the Walkers were to get rid of us.

Pished off and weary with the whole damn situation now,our club's name is being dragged through the mud like never before.

:angry:

No parachute payments in those days, think that's right, not that they would be enough, if the doom and gloom over finances is all correct.

But it would be fair to say he's probably getting a lot more stick of late too, especially after some of his remarks about Kean. He'll never live down that one(?) remark about Kean from a presser. He certainly comes across more frustrated with some points of view. Again, in these less than quiet, more fractious times I don't find it surprising nor suspicious. You could probably make a similar comment of me! or several other posters. Nature of the beast I think.

If PR fluff pieces started appearing in the Mirror/People, *then* I might start raising an eyebrow but best I can tell I've seen nothing like it. Having moderated a couple of games forums, I've seen my fair bit of shilling from PR companies/departments at the behest of publishers and media manipulation is frequent enough if not rife. Venky's PR has been abysmal, it would be flattering in the extreme to suggest they've even considered it.

I think you might be right though in saying he may be better off in winding it in a bit and becoming less embroiled. Easier said than done mind.

You were a mod? No wonder we were able to resolve our differences on this topic in such a reasoned manner. I myself did some mod work for a fan site of a book series a few years back. Anyway have to agree to disagree on the bias element of Nicko's postings of late I suppose, and hope that both sides can be a little less antagonistic.

1. Would you agree that Nicko's information is generally spot on?

2. What makes you disbelieve this information when you yourself have highlighted that with regards Venkys/Jerome Anderson Nicko has been correct throughout?

Finally talking of spin, Nicko did follow up your point:

PHILLIP: "And the Trust paid how much to Jerome Anderson?

They were the seller who would have engaged somebody to find a buyer, NOT the Rovers. "

Reading that, you are clearly stating this is a fact,

NICKO: "Official...Rovers paid Jerome Anderson's company for finding a buyer.

Anything to add?"

Nicko is pretty clear on his position, what is your stance now?

And where is this Official information?

Anderson probably fed excedingly well on two finders' fees but that is a world removed from being appointed by the Trust.

I love how everyone's turning on nicko for having a different opinion

How dare he have a differing opinion on a messageboard!!

I think it's more about his arrogant responses and steadfast (and frankly baffling) defence of the clearly incompetent Steve Kean.

Considering how much nicko has contributed to this messageboard, he's entitled to have his opinion and for people to respect it. They don't have to agree, but they don't need to tell him to 'sling his hook'

We're not Burnley fans, remember ;)

Pished off and weary with the whole damn situation now,our club's name is being dragged through the mud like never before.

:angry:

I'm not sure what is more weary. Seeing THE PLAYERS putting us in this precarious position, or reading some of the stuff on various messageboards of late. Especially when it's repeated more times than naff films on ITV2 :wacko:

I had a sinking feeling when I saw we'd signed JA's kid. Then I noticed that he's an SPL reserve, there's no fee, and he's probably on peanuts. It's not like nepotism is a new thing to our squad - is Julio Santa Cruz still on the books?

Things I want to see sorted out:

- STAYING UP, even if it's by a single goal.

- Appoint a chairman with football experience to act as a buffer between the owners and the manager, oversee transfers, etc.

- Get a more experienced manager in. I'm sure Kean has the ability to be a good manager, but he's lost the fans and possibly a good number of the players and he won't come back from that.

As far as the ludicrous talk of FA charges and points deduction goes - can anyone tell me what we've done to break the rules? We've signed a player on a pre-contract agreement who's the son of a football agent who advises our owners. I don't think that's against the rules, is it?

You are of course correct about taking things with a pinch of salt but I've formed my opinion of nicko (and others on here) based on their postings over a number of years. Some of those telling him to go away because they don't like what he has to say have been on here for 5 minutes and spent most ofbthat moaning and bitching. Who knows if they are even fans?

I fully agree with you on that point... telling him to bugger off is uncalled for, but I do distinctly remember nicko berating many on here for their views about Kean and the owners on here. Given the perilous situation we currently find ourselves in, it's understandable why some of the posters (in particular the ones that were heavily berated by nicko a couple of months ago) are extra sensitive right now and would be going over the top with some of their comments.

So if I understand this correctly... he made a false claim back in February to back himself up, and now that there's evidence contrary to that, he's reappeared and has cunningly avoided the fact, only to start reporting on the news that we've signed him as though he knew it all along?

I'm hearing wild rumours of an FA investigation and possible points deduction - anyone else heard this .... just what we need. :(

Just what grounds do tehy have for a points deduction. I have no doubt in my mind what so ever that if we arrive at a situation where a points deduction is feasible the FA with not hesitate to do that (unlike WHam) For this reason we MUST tread twice as carefully. I can't say I've seen or heard of anything that could even be contrived as shady, unless there is something in the background that is sinister about Formica's deal.

I'm not sure what is more weary. Seeing THE PLAYERS putting us in this precarious position, or reading some of the stuff on various messageboards of late. Especially when it's repeated more times than naff films on ITV2 :wacko:

The worst thing on this site is reading crap like this from you and a few others, berating those who are seriously concerned about the club's situation while you try to pretend everything's alright.

If you weren't making such a useless job of it I'd swear they were paying you.

All of this Keano and Kentaro grand conspiracy makes me laugh.

Has anyone every bothered to look at who Sam's chums were or any other previous manager.

They all have their mates, they all rely on certain ones.

Nobody gives a sh!t when it is going well.

But when results go strange it's suddenly a national crisis.

Rochina looked ok for the stiffs last night. He could do with a shot in the first team, although the current position wouldn't help ease him in. But he has to be better than Diouf.

Formica has skill but has yet to show what position he is going to be ideal in. He has been injured, so I will cut him some slack.

Roque was a mistake. A mistake that a lot of people thought was a good idea - before and after the takeover. Not being smug here, I said it would be a disaster when Sam and John Williams first thought it was a neat idea.

Jones is hot and cold.

Just curious Nicko, and forgive me if this has been asked but I haven't trawled through all the pages yet, how do you feel about our real gem now, our 8 out of 10, our real find. Did you ever think he'd be so dumb?

So if I understand this correctly... he made a false claim back in February to back himself up, and now that there's evidence contrary to that, he's reappeared and has cunningly avoided the fact, only to start reporting on the news that we've signed him as though he knew it all along?

I'm afraid you've lost me. Where's the contrary evidence? In this thread? It seemed to be known by other posters too.

I'm afraid you've lost me. Where's the contrary evidence? In this thread? It seemed to be known by other posters too.

nicko in February: "Myles Anderson was signed back when Sam was in charge and loaned out once the new regime took over"

News now in March: "Myles Anderson has signed for Rovers from Aberdeen"

even better ... Nicko's absence will shine like a thousand suns to burn back the gloom!

He has been like the proverbial bad rash but it's now got infected and turned septic threatening to poison us all with contagion. Some might be sad as they view his relationship with the mb as symbiotic. However, it's well known that the most effective parasites prey on docile hosts oblivious to what's actually going on.

Well nicko has roused but his revisionist diversionary propoganda owes more to goebbels and campbell than woodward and bernstein. His stories are founded on shifting sands and mirages. What's with shifting the focus from anderson and sem to huber and kentaro? Ignoring the signing and subsequent disappearance of formica (is he injured? is there third party ownership?) What's with blaming the previous regime for the loaning of rsc? Maybe nicko's got a mega-ego and he's desparately blowing to keep it inflated, but then again maybe there's something else going on ...

You are obviously a rival journalist. Bugger off unless you have anything useful to contribute.

People have been asking Nicko for his opinion on the takeover, transfers etc and when he has given this it has lead to his impartiality being questioned, it is simply his viewpoint. This is separate from the facts that he has been reporting. For example Nicko thought Di Santo was going to be a top signing for us (he was rubbish!), however that does not take away from the fact that he was spot on in stating that we were signing him.

members telling him to "sling his hook" is sad considering how much he has contributed over the years IMO.

He Scored against the Clarets what more do you want? :rover:

Archived