BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Birmingham City 9th April 2011

Saturday sets up an intriguing and most important encounter with Birmingham City.

Since 2002 the clubs have met thirteen times with honours shared, five wins each and three draws.

Prior to that, I recall a cup match at Ewood against a third division Birmingham City who were managed by the enigmatic Barry Fry, indeed, it is not so long ago they had a Priest Exorcise St Andrews as it was felt it was doomed and from that point Birmingham have elevated themselves back to the top tier of English Football.

Over the years right up to the present time there have been a significant number of links with Rovers, Howard Kendall was a player there making over 100 appearences and PFA Chairman Gordon Taylor joined Rovers to form a right/left wing partnership with the wonderful David Wagstaffe. Both Martin Taylor and Damien Johnson left Rovers for Birmingham and enjoyed a long and successful spell at St Andrews.

Recently though the links become quite alarming, Robbie Savage joined Rovers from City and former Rovers Barry Fergusen and David Bentley will be expected to feature on Saturday along with Matty Derbyshire, not to mention the towering Nikola Zigic who was allegedly a transfer target of Rovers prior to joining Birmingham. Finally Seb Larsson has been recently linked to Rovers which is quite an extraordinary amount of players linked between our two clubs.

Saturday as many posters on this messageboard have said is a must win game for Rovers in our quest for Premiership safety, both sides enter the games on 34 points after encouraging performances, our draw at Arsenal was a great and well earned result whilst City did well to defeat a Bolton side who are currently eigth in the table.

Birmingham, despite their position do have a number of good high profile players, Obefemi Martins can be dangerous on his day as can Jerome and who can discount the veteran striker Kevin Phillips who bagged the opening goal against Bolton last week.

In midfield they have the former Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb, Barry Fergusen and David Bentley, along with Rovers target Seb Larsson, Matty Derbyshire may also be on the bench and it would be fate were he to score at Ewood if he were to play a part in the match.

At the back, Ben Foster is a decent Keeper, Stephen Carr is a strong and influential skipper who takes no prisoners at right back

and Liam Ridgewell is a seasond proffessional too.

On paper no easy task for Rovers but paper counts for nothing, its how we perform on the day, with the quality and experience in midfield City have, I would expect Steve Kean to start with both the line up and System we played at the Emirates, we looked compact and sharp on the break, perhaps, in my opinion, I would make a change up top, Birmingham arent the quickest at the back and I would think Kalinic may be preferred to Roque, we must watch for Larssons deliveries though as Zigic at 6'8" will be a handful in the air along with Stephen Carrs overlaps who can by sheer drive and determination cause problems

If Rovers set themselves up with both the system and mindset we showed at the Emirates, we can get three points from this game, lets hope its the same Rovers who turn up as other fixtures next week would give us the opportunity of having a nice 5 point gap from the relegation area.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Kelbo on an informative and insightful preview.

Certainly, a MUST NOT lose game.

McLeish is a street fighter and many of his players are from the same mould.

This will be a tough, tough game.

Heart says Rovers but head says draw at best with Derbs & Fergie possibly coming back to haunt us.

I knew I would have forgotten one, how could I, www.alzeihmers.co.uk :(

Ben just told me the same and brought me my slippers and Horlicks!!!!!

Don't let it get you down, I'm the same now, who do we play next week?

The cup match was 94/95 season. ;) We won 2-0, so the records say. :lol:

Good preview by the way.

Great preview Kelbo.

As jim has forcibly pointed out this is a must not lose game. However, as we are going to need to do better than a point a game in the run in to stay up, it is close to a must win fixture looking at it in the broader picture- looking at the fixture list there are games coming up in which all the clubs around and beneath us would be expected to win. They will be chalking this one down as a Rovers expected win in their calculations.

Brum don't score that many but in Kevin Philips have the sort of player who finds daylight in opposition defences even aged 37.

However, at the other end Brum are extremely tough to break down and defend formidably well with Foster in excellent form in goal.

We will need Hoilett and Olsson to carry on their fine form and some clinical striking to win this one so I wouldn't start with Roberts up front. The Jones boys will have to play very well as Ferguson is sure to be motivated by the Ewood boos as will Bentley if he gets on.

Not going to make a prediction beyond saying we will not get 3 points if Brum score first.

Congratulations Kelbo on an informative and insightful preview.

Certainly, a MUST NOT lose game.

McLeish is a street fighter and many of his players are from the same mould.

This will be a tough, tough game.

Heart says Rovers but head says draw at best with Derbs & Fergie possibly coming back to haunt us.

Forgot all about Bentley, in addition to Derbs & Fergie - must be catching !

Good preview, Kelbo.

I'm hopeful we'll get something from this match.

I don't think I would change a thing from the Emirates line-up with the exception of Emerton. Bench him. Field Dunn in place of Emerton and MGP in place of the suspended N'Zonzi. I would leave Olsen at LB. He and Hoillett on the left were an incredibly effective combo this weekend both on defense and on offense. Givet can sit on the bench in case we need to replace a defender or move Olsen into a more attacking role later in the match.

And its reassuring to hear Samba and Salgado talking and acting like the leaders they are. :tu:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-s-Christopher-Samba-reveals-his-spat-with-Michael-Salgado-was-over-who-should-be-marking-Arsenal-s-Niklas-Bendtner-article719771.html

Good preview, Kelbo.

I'm hopeful we'll get something from this match.

I don't think I would change a thing from the Emirates line-up with the exception of Emerton. Bench him. Field Dunn in place of Emerton and MGP in place of the suspended N'Zonzi. I would leave Olsen at LB. He and Hoillett on the left were an incredibly effective combo this weekend both on defense and on offense. Givet can sit on the bench in case we need to replace a defender or move Olsen into a more attacking role later in the match.

And its reassuring to hear Samba and Salgado talking and acting like the leaders they are. :tu:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-s-Christopher-Samba-reveals-his-spat-with-Michael-Salgado-was-over-who-should-be-marking-Arsenal-s-Niklas-Bendtner-article719771.html

I don't want MGP anywhere near the team, Saturday won't be a game for lightweights. Ditto Diouf.

Mame shouldn't be anywhere near the bench, let alone a part of the starting 11.

Absolute must win game, I feel a draw but really hope we can build on the display against Arsenal and push on with a big 3 points.

I'd bring Givet in for Nzonzi and push Olsson forwards as the enforced change from the Arsenal game.

I would consider bringing Dunn in for Bert and most definitely have Kalinic on the pitch at some point and I'd have MGP on the bench in case we panic them at the back and need the long throws (Foster is in brilliant form but he can flap under pressure).

Otherwise leave well alone- Arsenal was a performance and we need another one against Brum.

I'd bring Givet in for Nzonzi and push Olsson forwards as the enforced change from the Arsenal game.

Really? Olsson was very good against Arsenal. His overlapping runs meant Hoilett could drift around from the left wing, Hoilett would be fixed out there with Givet behind him.

I'd probably keep the same team but play Diouf on the right instead of Emerton.

Really? Olsson was very good against Arsenal. His overlapping runs meant Hoilett could drift around from the left wing, Hoilett would be fixed out there with Givet behind him.

I'd probably keep the same team but play Diouf on the right instead of Emerton.

Arsenal don't play conventional PL football, Brum do and Olsson's defensive shortcomings when we need to cut out Bentley and Larsson's supplies from the wings will be exposed. We will need to double up on both those players when they get posession to cut out most of Brum's attacking prowess.

Absolute must win game, I feel a draw but really hope we can build on the display against Arsenal and push on with a big 3 points.

As was the Blackpool game, which were poor in the first half and lucky to go in 2-0 down.

Yes the first goal was a complete howler by the ref but these things happen.

Thankfully the team rallied in the 2nd half but still 2 points dropped.

As was the Blackpool game, which were poor in the first half and lucky to go in 2-0 down.

Yes the first goal was a complete howler by the ref but these things happen.

Thankfully the team rallied in the 2nd half but still 2 points dropped.

Slightly off topic but Howard Webb half admitted on Friday evening that he called the Blackpool Penalty wrong!!

Doesnt help us though does it!

Good preview Kelbo.

Really hope we can get Olsson back at left wing for this one as I feel our best chance of creating chances against them is by exposing their lack of pace in the full back positions.

Team for me as it stands:

Robbo

Salgado Nelsen Samba Givet

Hoillet Jones Jones Olsson

Kalinic RSC

I hate Jones in the middle he's a beast a the back as he showed when he first came in, but for now he can play in the middle as you cannot drop Nelsen after his performance on Saturday. Givet is the better defender and hopefully he can stop Bantleys crossing better than Olsson will. Hopefully Olsson can stretch Carr who is very slow these days, but Olsson will need to be very mobile to get around him.

RSC needs a partner for this one as we need goals and Kalinic is the man for me to play alongside him.

Good preview Kelbo.

Really hope we can get Olsson back at left wing for this one as I feel our best chance of creating chances against them is by exposing their lack of pace in the full back positions.

Team for me as it stands:

Robbo

Kalinic RSC

I hate Jones in the middle he's a beast a the back as he showed when he first came in, but for now he can play in the middle as you cannot drop Nelsen after his performance on Saturday. Givet is the better defender and hopefully he can stop Bantleys crossing better than Olsson will. Hopefully Olsson can stretch Carr who is very slow these days, but Olsson will need to be very mobile to get around him.

RSC needs a partner for this one as we need goals and Kalinic is the man for me to play alongside him.

Depending on fitness I would contemplate playing Dunny in for Kalinic, sitting just behind Santa Cruz, with the option of subbing him on the hour mark for either a striker if we are in need of goals or a bit more energy in the middle if we are defending a lead.

Robbo

Dunn

RSC

He would provide much creativity with Olsson and Hoillet bombing forwards on the wings it would be a lot for Brum to think about. The Jones's in behind will also give him freedom. That coupled with the fact it is not to distant a formation from the one which did so well at Arsenal just with more attacking personel.

I'm confident with that team out there we would be able to score goals whilst keeping it tight against a goal shy Birmingham. That is their weakness so it must be exploited by not allowing them easy opportunities to score.

If they get the first goal we could be in trouble. Keep it tight with Santa Cruz, Hoillet, Dunn and Olsson on the attack we can win this one well.

COYB!!!

Archived