BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Birmingham City 9th April 2011

I'd definitely keep the same defensive shape, a leaky defence is the the thing that could send us down.

................ Robinson

Salgado Samba Nelsen Olsson

................. N'Zonzi

.......... Jones ........ Jones

.. Diouf ...................... Hoilett

............... Santa Cruz

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

I'd definitely keep the same defensive shape, a leaky defence is the the thing that could send us down.

I like this team, if there's no Givet for whatever reason and we must play Olsson at LB- then Hoilett left and mame Diouf right for their pace sounds good to me!

A nervy 2-1 win!

I don't share your optimism that Nzonzi's red card will be rescinded.

• Moderation Lead

It bloody well should be! He had the ball and stood his ground......

The only reason it was given was because Koscielny stayed down and the gooners had a big whinge about it (for a change) :rolleyes:

Hoillet on the right, Olsson on the left! It's the future!

Looks like the time is coming ever closer to dispense with Pedersen and Emmerton with the growing emergence of these two young lads Hoillet and Olsson.

Rovers need to bring in another player of this type to compliment these two young lads, this for me would be Damien Duff.

Looks like the time is coming ever closer to dispense with Pedersen and Emmerton with the growing emergence of these two young lads Hoillet and Olsson.

Rovers need to bring in another player of this type to compliment these two young lads, this for me would be Damien Duff.

Would people on here criticise Allardyce for giving MGP a lengthy contract? I personally feel as though he made a huge mistake in offering him a 4 year contract. 2 years would have been appropriate. For me Sam turned a blind eye on Hoillet, as he did not have the physique or assets that Pedersen held. However, with Kean in charge, we have seen how Junior has flourished, and now what seems to be the end for Morten's career at Ewood.

Thoughts?

We look like were gaining momentum more and more every match for last three, just hope we carry it on because the squad is better than most around us. If we play well Everton, wolves, Bolton, Birmingham and west ham are all winnable games. United and City matches are going to hurt the goal difference.

For my money Pedersen should probably come back into the team. We need his set pieces, inconsistent as they are. Side for me:-

--------------------Robinson

Salgado----Nelsen----Samba----Olsson

Hoilett--------Jones----Jones----Pedersen

------------------Cruz----Kalinic

Subs:- Bunn, Givet, Dunn, Emerton, Rochina, Roberts, M Diouf

Big difference for me is leaving Givet out. He would have been a shoo-in for me at left back - but after Olsson's excellent performance (if still a bit gung ho) against Arsenal, and with Givet's discontent with the club, I think maybe he should keep his place. He also works nicely with Pedersen on the overlap.

I would be tempted to use Dunn in this game, even if his general fitness seems quite haphazard these days.

................ Robinson...........

.....Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet....

.......... Jones ........ Jones.....

.. Hoilett .........Dunn...... Olsson

............... Santa Cruz..........

The problem here beside the gamble with Dunny is that Salgado seems quite dependent on having Emerton as a cover in front of him, the Spaniard along with Hoilett sounds like a defensively frail right wing to me. Having said that, I really don't want Olsson back as a left back with Hoilett taking his left wing spot. I don't envy Keane's task to pick the most effective team this time!

Otherwise, maybe the eternal sick note Grella is miraculously fit to replace N'Zonzi? More likely the circumstances will force us into reverting back to a 4-4-2, which I personally would set up as follows:

................ Robinson...........

.....Emerton Samba Nelsen Givet....

.......... Jones ........ Jones.....

.. Hoilett ............... Olsson

..........Kalinic .. Santa Cruz......

Not relevant to the outcome, but on Radio Lancs today it said if Salgado is booked this match he'll be banned for 2 matches-10 bookings.

Salgado should have a bit of a break anyway. I think he's been in every match this season and at his age that's asking a lot, he looks knackered to me and has for a good few games. Reads the game well and that gets him out of a lot of scrapes but just over the past few months his age has shown.

Personally I'd stick Emerton in there. I wish we had another option but we don't.

For my money Pedersen should probably come back into the team. We need his set pieces, inconsistent as they are. Side for me:-

--------------------Robinson

Salgado----Nelsen----Samba----Olsson

Hoilett--------Jones----Jones----Pedersen

------------------Cruz----Kalinic

Subs:- Bunn, Givet, Dunn, Emerton, Rochina, Roberts, M Diouf

Big difference for me is leaving Givet out. He would have been a shoo-in for me at left back - but after Olsson's excellent performance (if still a bit gung ho) against Arsenal, and with Givet's discontent with the club, I think maybe he should keep his place. He also works nicely with Pedersen on the overlap.

Bring Pedersen back and it'll be 10 versus 11 again.

My opinion of the team we should play...

GK: Robinson

DR: Salgado

DL: Givet

DC: Samba

DC: Nelsen

MC: P.Jones

MC: Pedersen

AML: Olsson

AMR: Holiett

AMC: J.Jones

ST: Kalinic

Bunn, Cruz, Roberts, Rochina, Emerton, Dunn, Hanley

Especially as Rovers are not appealing.

Otherwise, maybe the eternal sick note Grella is miraculously fit to replace N'Zonzi?

It was reported last week he is out for the rest of the season.

My team would be :

Robbo / Salgado, Nelsen, Samba, Givet / Hoilett, P Jones, J Jones, Olsson, / Kalinic, Santa

Experience and solidarity at the back, pace and penetration on the flanks, the Jones boys combative and anchoring midfield, Santa's power in the air and Niko's movement and predatory instincts in the box.

Brum are not an expansive team and we could get away with 4-4-2.

Playing one up top plays to birminghams strength IE their two centre backs, you have to play two against them. It's so much harder for the defensive unit to stay together and we can eliminate the cover by giving him a amna to worry about instead. Birmingham aren't on a good run and we don't have the guile in midfield to break them down with just one target. we can be much more direct when we need to with the two as well. We score first we win on Saturday.

Olsson had a good game against Mr one dimension at the emirates. Bender as we all know is no such beast and he loves to try and drag his opponent around to get his cross in. So Olsson is not the man for the job as I can see Bentley having some joy against Olsson. Givet is the much better defender, Bender doesn't rely on pace ala Mr one dimension and so for me he has to play as we need to cut off the supply for Zigic. Also Carr is slow and I mean sloooowwwwwwwwww, I think Olsson could rip him a new one with his confidence high after the emirates. Olsson creates chances for himself and others almost every time he plays and he even puts in the odd good cross.

We don't need Pedersens set-pieces and we have become so reliant on them we struggle from open play. We desperately need to get back to scoring from open play again and for me that means 2 up top with Junior and Olsson on the wings. With the Jones twins and Samba and Nelsen, we have a formidable foursome that most teams will struggle to breakdown so we can get away with 2 against the weaker teams. It's the old Brazilian box defence again ;) But it gets our best players for me on the pitch in their best/(its gets Jones on) positions.

Archived