BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2011 Transfer Window Part One

At the end of the day, we need to have a bit of a spring clean and get rid of all the bog standard, fairly poor, squad players and need to bring in what is known in the business as a midfield general. Someone who can keep the ball in midfield and score goals from midfield. This is a hole, I believe we have had for some time but now with a little more money on offer, I don't see any difficulty in bringing in that kind of player. Secondly, I believe that we do need a striker. Someone who is going to get 12 to 15 goals a season, and someone we can look at the team sheet before and think, 'yeah, he will score today'. As much as you look at Roberts or Kalinic and admire there workrate, at times, they are not natural goalscorers. If you looked at the teams, down and around us, in the relegation battle, they all had a 'midfield general' and a 'goalscorer'. I don't think we did.

29.5 million is not enough.

I'm sorry mate, as much as a brilliant player he is, I think that this is more enough for Phil Jones. I'd snap Liverpools hand off for 29.5 million.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day, we need to have a bit of a spring clean and get rid of all the bog standard, fairly poor, squad players and need to bring in what is known in the business as a midfield general. Someone who can keep the ball in midfield and score goals from midfield. This is a hole, I believe we have had for some time but now with a little more money on offer, I don't see any difficulty in bringing in that kind of player. Secondly, I believe that we do need a striker. Someone who is going to get 12 to 15 goals a season, and someone we can look at the team sheet before and think, 'yeah, he will score today'. As much as you look at Roberts or Kalinic and admire there workrate, at times, they are not natural goalscorers. If you looked at the teams, down and around us, in the relegation battle, they all had a 'midfield general' and a 'goalscorer'. I don't think we did.

Your analysis of our failings would meet with general agreement I'm sure. But we are past that now. What we want to know is are they going to fix it? Will they stump up the way more than 5M which is needed?

Your analysis of our failings would meet with general agreement I'm sure. But we are past that now. What we want to know is are they going to fix it? Will they stump up the way more than 5M which is needed?

I agree with you. But my concern is, not that the owners will put the money up, its whether or not the 'manager' will use the money wisely and effectively and on that front, I just fear that he won't.

Even if Samba and Jones left, Ryan Nelsen and Gael Givet is still a strong defensive partnership. We'd even have Hanley in reserve still. Three international footballers there, says something about the strength in depth we have in central defence.

There must be some reliable, experienced centre halves knocking around on free transfers this summer. If we could get someone in to bring us up to 4 centre halves, we'd then have £30 million or so to play around with. We'd need a left back out of that with Givet moving to centre half, but that would leave us shed loads to improve the forward line. We could offer a couple of million for Stephen Warnock and bring an experienced player like Martin Jiránek on a free, and have something like...

Robinson

Salgado Nelsen Givet Warnock

back up: Emerton, Hanley, Jiránek, Olsson

That's still a good back four with strong back up, we'd have £30 million or so to play with for the midfield and forward line. I'm not saying I want them both to leave, but if it should happen it's not the end of the world. Replacing Hoilett would be a much bigger task, attacking players are much harder to come by.

Even if Samba and Jones left, Ryan Nelsen and Gael Givet is still a strong defensive partnership. We'd even have Hanley in reserve still. Three international footballers there, says something about the strength in depth we have in central defence.

There must be some reliable, experienced centre halves knocking around on free transfers this summer. If we could get someone in to bring us up to 4 centre halves, we'd then have £30 million or so to play around with. We'd need a left back out of that with Givet moving to centre half, but that would leave us shed loads to improve the forward line. We could offer a couple of million for Stephen Warnock and bring an experienced player like Martin Jiránek on a free, and have something like...

Robinson

That's still a good back four with strong back up, we'd have £30 million or so to play with for the midfield and forward line. I'm not saying I want them both to leave, but if it should happen it's not the end of the world. Replacing Hoilett would be a much bigger task, attacking players are much harder to come by.

I like your thinking but I don't think much of Hanley. I would say one of them goes, one of them stays ideally.

Robinson

I don't think Nelson can be relied upon to be a regular starter anymore (in terms of fitness...not ability).

I agree with you. But my concern is, not that the owners will put the money up, its whether or not the 'manager' will use the money wisely and effectively and on that front, I just fear that he won't.

I agree with you there but your post reads as if the owners will put up the money and Kean will waste it. Is that what you meant? I don't think they will.

Just heard from my friend that Kalanic is moving to Rangers on loan till January can anyone with better sources find out if there is anything in this.

I read that somewhere too, he has been recommended by Jelavic, not sure how true it is.

• Backroom

A loan move actually wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Let's face it, we're not going to get anywhere near what we paid for him as a transfer fee. If he goes out on loan to Rangers, plays regularly (albeit at Championship/League One level) and gains confidence from that he could be a different player when he returns to us, hopefully ready to aid us move up the league in January.

I'd rather loan him for now than sell him. If he gets loaned out and still shows no improvement then we'd probably have to look at selling, though.

How long has he left on his contract? Isn't it 2 years? If he has a year long loan at Rangers (or anywhere else for that matter) we are in danger of running the clock down and saying goodbye to almost all of our 6M.

If Kalinic plays in Scotland then he will bag 20+ goals easily and then will either return a much better player or get sold for the sort of fee we paid. Can see some logic in the move as at the moment we would be lucky to get £2m for him!

If Kalinic plays in Scotland then he will bag 20+ goals easily and then will either return a much better player or get sold for the sort of fee we paid. Can see some logic in the move as at the moment we would be lucky to get £2m for him!

from a friend... kean thinks he has an attitude problem, and also insinuated that he is not liked by most of the squad. talented player in the right side.. he will def will be gone if kean stays.

No logic in a move to Gers.

Showing he can score in that league will not inflate his value.

But if he fails up there we wont be able to give him away!

It could be possible, correct me if I am wrong -something that is known to happen- please do, but could it be possible, in the slightest teeny weeny little way, that he could find some form if he was started regularly with a strike partner that can pass a ball without tripping over it?

You're probably right though I think at worst he'd be a good Championship player and they go for 3M easy. The point is, I guess, he's worth nothing if he never plays.

A loan till January? Gets lots of goals in a crap competition and either Rangers pay 3M or someone else does?

Probably a last chance for us to get anything much on reflection. If he stays with us he'll simply wait till he's a free agent.

from a friend... kean thinks he has an attitude problem, and also insinuated that he is not liked by most of the squad. talented player in the right side.. he will def will be gone if kean stays.

Shame , another Ciccio Grabbi for me liked by the fans for his effort and willingness , but unable to score goals , we're quickly running out of strikers

Shame , another Ciccio Grabbi for me liked by the fans for his effort and willingness , but unable to score goals , we're quickly running out of strikers

More like 'not given the chance to play and score goals', much better strike ratio than those playing ahead of him.

Kean needs to learn that even unhappy or unpopular players, if they are good enough, can still be managed in a way to benefit the team. We could've done with EH Diouf when Junior was injured. Look at the way Fergie coped with Rooney handing a transfer request in, or when Ronaldo wanted to leave for 2 seasons, he still got the best out of him.

Archived